Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 06:48:16 am

Author Topic: faaaaantastic, the journey is over!  (Read 34516 times)

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
Re: faaaaantastic, the journey is almost over!
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2017, 01:03:23 pm »
+4
sometimes i just watch youtube but everyone around me studies, then i study because i feel guilty for not studying. that's probably why i'm productive in study periods :-)

This is why I stopped bringing earphones to my studies. I knew I would be tempted to go on youtube or watchseries or spotify and end up not doing work ;)
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2017, 02:13:23 pm »
+2
This is why I stopped bringing earphones to my studies. I knew I would be tempted to go on youtube or watchseries or spotify and end up not doing work ;)

i've stopped using my laptop unless i have to during study, so for the most part, the distractions have stopped. however, this has led to a lot of daydreaming because i'm unable to use my laptop to watch/do other stuff
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2017, 04:03:50 pm »
+9
entry for today, 25/8

i really struggle with trying to understand the texts in the reading task. i haven't done a lot, per se, but every time i sit down and try to do one i find it hard to understand the texts. i don't get very good marks for the section, so in the next couple of weeks, i'm going to do as many tasks as i can (school gave us a ton of past trial papers because there's only 2 hscs) and try out a new structure of answering questions :-) really hope this works out, will keep you all updated.

today was quite a chill day at school because i only had 3 periods - 1 was assembly, and the other, i had early leave. english always makes me feel so shitty because i don't do well in it, especially compared to last year (but no one cares in year 11 so without trying i was able to get an amazing rank). then whoosh wow bam everyone starts getting tutors, and surpassing my marks even though i'm actually studying. anyway whatever i just want around 80ish because i reckon my other marks will compensate for my crap marks in english for my atar. :-)

legal is always so unproductive because there's not much to do in class, we get set 2 tasks (usually 2 essays, but this week it was hr short answers and options essay) and they're expected to be done by the end of the week. did well in the ones i handed up today so i'm pretty happy with that! i hope i can recreate that in the hsc, would be amazing.

we finally finished the content in business today!!!!!!!!!! very very exciting, it means there's no holes in my knowledge when i do past papers now so yay! we're given a lot more time to study from past papers and have questions answered in class so i'm quite happy with where everything's going in class. i think with every other lesson i'll alternate doing multiple choice and extended responses, and leave the short answers for at home.

i'm also going to list my options for modern, legal and english because someone asked me a question a couple of weeks ago via pm and i couldn't answer it because i didn't do the option they asked about :-/

modern
national study: germany
personality: gorbachev
studies in peace and conflict: cold war

legal
options: shelter and indigenous peoples (literally the most boring and dry topics although not going to lie indigenous can be interesting because it's worldwide)

english
module a: distinctively visual - vertigo (i know virtually no one does this book, it's really crap anyways hahahah)
module b: war poetry
module c: exploring transitions - billy elliot
discovery: away

forgot my signature whooooooops

love,
fantasticbeasts x
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 04:07:45 pm by fantasticbeasts3 »
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2017, 07:39:28 pm »
+7
i'm pretty sure i made a thread for modern memes and puns, but i'm far too lazy to look for it so i'll write them here. bit of a story to build up the suspense, if you can call it that, before the puns come.

had a really good laugh with my brother at dinner (he's doing accelerated modern, so he's currently doing the year 11 course - i'm a very proud sister) and we were talking about his options next year. turns out he's doing russia, trotsky and indochina. anyway,

bro: how did hitler come to know eva braun?
me: what
bro: he hitler up

history is the best subject, where else are you going to get all these puns and laughs?

edit: yes i did delete the other pun because i felt like it was very insensitive
« Last Edit: August 25, 2017, 07:48:11 pm by fantasticbeasts3 »

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2017, 09:02:26 pm »
+8
26/8

totally forgot how hard it is to write a creative, since i tried to do it so many times without success, and out of stress, i ended up not preparing one before trials (never ever do that, a very dumb decision). i've spent a whole day trying to write it, with a very detailed plan of what i'm going to write about but i'm unable to bring myself to actually write the story and i feel like i keep writing about the events as they happened, so i'm telling the story, not showing the story. i'm far from a good writer, and can't drag out the events as in a journal entry, because it happens over a short period of time and i just ughhhhhhhhhhhh

i also procrastinate by doing other work while i'm doing something and that really needs to stop because i spent half the day trying to write a creative, and the other half finding new related texts which not going to lie is kind of enjoyable because as an avid reader (at least not at the moment), it's fun to explore different texts and i don't read a lot of poetry so that was pretty cool :-) not going to give english the satisfaction of being written about a lot so i'm going to move on hahahaha

i've planned out a lot of my week as to what i'm going to hand in to teachers, but i can't write two essays in a night? it's really weird like i just can't do it, when i can write 3 essays in 2 hours for english. i don't know what's going on with me, but i hope everything will figure itself out :-)

next week, i'm going to the unsw open day! i went last year when i was a bit clueless about what i wanted to do after school, but now i have more of a solid idea, i'm even more excited. maybe i'll see some of you there. i would really love to go to unsw and do a double degree, so international studies and media (pr/advertising), but the atar cut off is waaaay too high for me because i haven't been doing well at school, and i'd be lucky to get a band 6 in one subject (fingers crossed i can get 90ish for my better subjects in the hsc!)

i hope you all had an amazing day.

love,
fantasticbeasts x

MisterNeo

• MOTM: MAY 2017
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +454
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2017, 09:14:21 pm »
+5
totally forgot how hard it is to write a creative, since i tried to do it so many times without success, and out of stress, i ended up not preparing one before trials (never ever do that, a very dumb decision). i've spent a whole day trying to write it, with a very detailed plan of what i'm going to write about but i'm unable to bring myself to actually write the story and i feel like i keep writing about the events as they happened, so i'm telling the story, not showing the story. i'm far from a good writer, and can't drag out the events as in a journal entry, because it happens over a short period of time and i just ughhhhhhhhhhhh

I was also in this position when I had to prepare a creative at the beginning of the year. I found it it easier to write from personal experience because you already have that analysis of the character - you.
Just keep practising and you'll get there! :)
All the best ;D

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2017, 09:31:15 pm »
+5
I was also in this position when I had to prepare a creative at the beginning of the year. I found it it easier to write from personal experience because you already have that analysis of the character - you.
Just keep practising and you'll get there! :)
All the best ;D

i've typed about 20 words. it's been about 10 hours since i started. my plot is already set out (it's very clear in my mind because it's based on my personal discovery, and i can see myself in the story) but i just can't write.

let's hope i can get this and another essay done by the end of tomorrow hahah. thanks for your message!

Natasha.97

• NSW MVP - 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • ~
  • Respect: +667
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2017, 09:35:42 pm »
+7
i've typed about 20 words. it's been about 10 hours since i started. my plot is already set out (it's very clear in my mind because it's based on my personal discovery, and i can see myself in the story) but i just can't write.

let's hope i can get this and another essay done by the end of tomorrow hahah. thanks for your message!

me for every single essay I've had to write in the past I always have the "I'll get started on this early!" mindset, then leave pretty much all of it to the last day (and even last few hours!)
Life is weird and crazy as heck but what can you do?

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2017, 09:44:12 pm »
+4
me for every single essay I've had to write in the past I always have the "I'll get started on this early!" mindset, then leave pretty much all of it to the last day (and even last few hours!)

sameeeeeeee. i'm the biggest procrastinator with essays (coming from someone who has 4/5 writing-based subjects? kinda crap), and i always leave them until it's far too late. last night, i told myself to do a modern essay, and finish it early, so i could complete business short answers. pretty sure i was deluding myself, because i started the essay at 8.30, and finished at 12.30. didn't do anything else that night.

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2017, 10:14:33 pm »
+3

When I typed essays, I found it hard to start at the start and work fully through from start to finish. So I'd write my topic sentences, then do a bit of paragraph 1, then maybe some of 3, etc, etc. until all was finally finished :P And I find that I do this to a degree at uni still!
I found it much easier to handwrite, personally - it let the creative juices flow better, I guess haha. I found that when we transitioned into writing essays in class for SACs, I started getting so much better at refining things and writing quickly and concisely - I guess, I always subconsciously knew my direction when I was writing? So maybe, if you're really struggling, try to handwrite? Even if you end up scribbling out heaps of stuff, it doesn't have to be super neat :)

Plus, if you've got writer's block - don't be afraid to delete some sentences and start again!

Hope it all works out for you, fantasticbeasts! Let us know how it goes :D

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2017, 11:33:02 pm »
+2
When I typed essays, I found it hard to start at the start and work fully through from start to finish. So I'd write my topic sentences, then do a bit of paragraph 1, then maybe some of 3, etc, etc. until all was finally finished :P And I find that I do this to a degree at uni still!
I found it much easier to handwrite, personally - it let the creative juices flow better, I guess haha. I found that when we transitioned into writing essays in class for SACs, I started getting so much better at refining things and writing quickly and concisely - I guess, I always subconsciously knew my direction when I was writing? So maybe, if you're really struggling, try to handwrite? Even if you end up scribbling out heaps of stuff, it doesn't have to be super neat :)

Plus, if you've got writer's block - don't be afraid to delete some sentences and start again!

Hope it all works out for you, fantasticbeasts! Let us know how it goes :D

i'm so annoying with writing, because if i try to write, i don't like moving on to something if it isn't finished. applies to essays as well, i don't like writing plans because i know everything is unfinished 😅 i'm a huge fan of handwriting as well (@ computer people how do you do it) but for this, i'm constantly changing things, so i'm starting typing first, then moving to writing. my plan for the story was totally handwritten though, couldn't have done it typed.

will definitely keep you updated!!

ps. loving your uni journal thread! it's interesting to read about a totally different field from what i'm interested in :-)

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2017, 11:42:40 pm »
+4
i'm so annoying with writing, because if i try to write, i don't like moving on to something if it isn't finished. applies to essays as well, i don't like writing plans because i know everything is unfinished 😅 i'm a huge fan of handwriting as well (@ computer people how do you do it) but for this, i'm constantly changing things, so i'm starting typing first, then moving to writing. my plan for the story was totally handwritten though, couldn't have done it typed.

will definitely keep you updated!!
I feel this so much. I could never plan for anything! Very envious of the people that can do it really well.
I really wish I could handwrite more at uni, but honestly, we just cover waaaaay too much content in lectures for it to be feasible, and I don't trust myself to go back over everything when I go home.
Plus, after a semester of typing the majority of things, my handwriting speed and endurance has severely diminished...which is a shame, given how much I could write in high school haha. Appreciate it while it lasts!

Quote from: fantasticbeasts3
ps. loving your uni journal thread! it's interesting to read about a totally different field from what i'm interested in :-)
Thank you! Please let me know if there's anything you'd like to hear about more :D I'm trying to make sure I start explaining the things I do at uni to give people a better idea of what I do :)

You've probably mentioned it before...but what are you interested in?

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2017, 12:24:13 am »
+6
I feel this so much. I could never plan for anything! Very envious of the people that can do it really well.
I really wish I could handwrite more at uni, but honestly, we just cover waaaaay too much content in lectures for it to be feasible, and I don't trust myself to go back over everything when I go home.
Plus, after a semester of typing the majority of things, my handwriting speed and endurance has severely diminished...which is a shame, given how much I could write in high school haha. Appreciate it while it lasts!
Thank you! Please let me know if there's anything you'd like to hear about more :D I'm trying to make sure I start explaining the things I do at uni to give people a better idea of what I do :)

You've probably mentioned it before...but what are you interested in?

aw that kinda sucks :-( there are subjects where there's too much content to cover, and not enough time to write. how much could you write in high school, say in 45 minutes? and yea for sure, will keep handwriting handy as long as i can :-)

sounds good hahahah would love to know more about physio! i know heaps of people who want to do it, or something health related so it sounds like a growing industry (is it?) science was never something that was strictly My Thing because i never had a specific interest in it.

in uni, i want to do a double degree, so international studies and media (pr/advertising), so something very current issue-y. :-) don't know the exact job/career path though, that'll be another journey!

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2017, 08:23:53 pm »
+5
27/8

helloooo friends!

today was a very unproductive day - i tried to write my creative, but words aren't flowing out which is so bloody annoying because i have everything planned out, plot, lines here and there, but nothing is working. i'm aiming to finish a rough draft tonight, which should be submitted. i wasn't expecting the process to take so long so now i've had to move a lot of my other hand-in stuff across to other days this week, which is kind of disappointing because i planned one night off, but that's not happening anymore.

it felt like i had 25512349 reminders that the hsc starts in 50 days. it's quite surreal because at the beginning of the year my only aim was to get 3rd in modern (because i was doing shit all of last year) and finish the school year without dropping out, but the journey is almost over because the beginning of the year feels like so long ago.

after asking mum to buy whiteboard markers, she finally did it today, so i'm writing reminders all over my mirror on things that i need to remember for the hsc, so i currently have a timeline for the weimar republic, and there should be more stuff coming when i feel like i need to write it down.

also, i finished season 5 of suits and ever since then nothing has been streaming properly, which should be a sign to get to work? who knows. looking forward to this week because it's going to be a relatively chill one (minus all the hand ins this week :-)))))) ) and i have a pupil free day on friday, so that's a bit more time to study, aaaaand formal is coming up and i haven't done anything for it (dress, shoes? nope. booked hair and makeup? nope), because i procrastinate for everything.

3 more weeks to go!!!!!!!

love,
fantasticbeasts x

Natasha.97

• NSW MVP - 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • ~
  • Respect: +667
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2017, 09:16:26 pm »
+1
27/8

helloooo friends!

today was a very unproductive day - i tried to write my creative, but words aren't flowing out which is so bloody annoying because i have everything planned out, plot, lines here and there, but nothing is working. i'm aiming to finish a rough draft tonight, which should be submitted. i wasn't expecting the process to take so long so now i've had to move a lot of my other hand-in stuff across to other days this week, which is kind of disappointing because i planned one night off, but that's not happening anymore.

it felt like i had 25512349 reminders that the hsc starts in 50 days. it's quite surreal because at the beginning of the year my only aim was to get 3rd in modern (because i was doing shit all of last year) and finish the school year without dropping out, but the journey is almost over because the beginning of the year feels like so long ago.

after asking mum to buy whiteboard markers, she finally did it today, so i'm writing reminders all over my mirror on things that i need to remember for the hsc, so i currently have a timeline for the weimar republic, and there should be more stuff coming when i feel like i need to write it down.

also, i finished season 5 of suits and ever since then nothing has been streaming properly, which should be a sign to get to work? who knows. looking forward to this week because it's going to be a relatively chill one (minus all the hand ins this week :-)))))) ) and i have a pupil free day on friday, so that's a bit more time to study, aaaaand formal is coming up and i haven't done anything for it (dress, shoes? nope. booked hair and makeup? nope), because i procrastinate for everything.

3 more weeks to go!!!!!!!

love,
fantasticbeasts x

UGH I feel you! If I have x y and z to do and one of them is English, it's pretty much guaranteed to be the last and longest thing that has to be done ._.

WOOT go whiteboard markers! they're the reason I can memorise formulas

you know it is I've got my dress and shoes so far, but haven't booked appointments either

THREE WEEKS?!
Life is weird and crazy as heck but what can you do?