Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 12:05:05 am

Author Topic: HSC Results Discussion  (Read 29969 times)

yuriques

• Adventurer
Re: HSC Results Discussion
« Reply #30 on: December 14, 2017, 11:26:39 am »
English adv- 86 (Super happy with this even though i'm horrible at it, was expecting an 80! Special thanks to Elyse and Emily's course notes, it saved my marks :) 
Japanese beginners- 99 (Again I didn't expect a 99 since I thought for sure I lost a couple of marks in my exams and would get around 95 since it isn't exactly a good scaling subject)
Maths 3u- 98 (Happy with this)
Maths 4u- 92 (Also happy with this, I had 90 for internals but 93 for externals~)
Physics- 91 (Happy with this)
Chem- 90 (89 internal, 90 external, I wish i did better in my school assessments but still very glad i scraped a b6)

Overall, I did much better than I expected, all my externals were equal or higher than internals and managed to pull up my mark just that little bit more.
Atar calculators put me at about 99.1 so I'm over the moon about it, the school estimates gave me 97.8 and even then I didn't believe I would get that! Still I'm a bit skeptical about it but crossing my fingers.
This year was a big struggle, english was just a series of mental breakdowns and chemistry, physics and 4u were subjects which were dangling on the edge of band 6 (comparing my ranking to the amount of band 6s last year, I would be the last person to get a b6 for each of them) but in the end it was worth it and it's over.
Congratulations everyone for reaching this point and good luck for tomorrow!

taylorlucy

• Trailblazer
« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2017, 11:33:01 am »
Seeing as though you take EX1 and MX1, potentially it's caused by some calculators registering marks out of 50 and marks out of 100?

I thought so too so I went back to check them all, martix gives me 86.75, atarcalculator.com gives 86.8, hscninja gives 95.15 and atarnotes says 98.15 (I knew there was a reason why atarnotes was the best ;P )

the variation doesn't seem to make much sense huh!
2017 HSC: Advanced English / Extension 1 English / Mathematics / Extension 1 Maths / Biology / Visual Arts

ATAR: 93.55

Checkmate123

• Adventurer
« Reply #32 on: December 14, 2017, 11:35:14 am »
Went better than I expected, especially for physics with a low internal mark.

English Advanced: 95
Chemistry: 95
Physics: 95
4U Math: 95
3U Math: 98
English Advanced - 95
Physics - 95
Chemistry - 95
4U Maths - 95
3U Maths - 98

2017 ATAR: 99.85

sameeraaa1

• Adventurer
« Reply #33 on: December 14, 2017, 11:39:17 am »
EngAd 89 5
EngX1 46 E4
Legal 92 6
MathsG2 89 5
MHist 90 6
HistX 44 E3
Relig1 45 6

overall im pretty happy but it kinda burns that my band 5s/e3s were 1 MARK off the highest band!

Most ATAR Calculators (Matrix, HSCNinja, Talent 100) gave me around the 95 mark but the ATAR Notes one gave me a 98+ ATAR (98.75 specifically) which doesn't seem right to me at all b/c my marks aren't high enough..???
HSC '17 -
English Advanced
English Extension 1
Legal Studies
Modern History
History Extension
Studies of Religion 1
General Maths

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
« Reply #34 on: December 14, 2017, 11:52:18 am »
I thought so too so I went back to check them all, martix gives me 86.75, atarcalculator.com gives 86.8, hscninja gives 95.15 and atarnotes says 98.15 (I knew there was a reason why atarnotes was the best ;P )

the variation doesn't seem to make much sense huh!
(We are the best in every regard ;) )

Well that's a huge variation I must say! I do know, as a fact, that Matrix will give you a harsher estimate because they want to prepare you for the worst case scenario, so that's potentially a deliberate underestimate. But tbh, I don't know what's going on with the middle two (like woah, geez!) so that's going to make tomorrow REALLY interesting for ya

Having said that, combining with this post
EngAd 89 5
EngX1 46 E4
Legal 92 6
MathsG2 89 5
MHist 90 6
HistX 44 E3
Relig1 45 6

overall im pretty happy but it kinda burns that my band 5s/e3s were 1 MARK off the highest band!

Most ATAR Calculators (Matrix, HSCNinja, Talent 100) gave me around the 95 mark but the ATAR Notes one gave me a 98+ ATAR (98.75 specifically) which doesn't seem right to me at all b/c my marks aren't high enough..???
I mean, we obviously don't have a 2017 ATAR calculator there yet, so I wouldn't be surprised by a 3 point gap. 9 is a whole new story though.

And admittedly, I don't know much about our own calculator because I never used it when I did my HSC! (ATAR Notes was still just starting in NSW at the time haha.) Hopefully after we see what happens tomorrow we'll get some useful feedback on our calculator ;)

taylorlucy

• Trailblazer
« Reply #35 on: December 14, 2017, 12:00:21 pm »
(We are the best in every regard ;) )

Well that's a huge variation I must say! I do know, as a fact, that Matrix will give you a harsher estimate because they want to prepare you for the worst case scenario, so that's potentially a deliberate underestimate. But tbh, I don't know what's going on with the middle two (like woah, geez!) so that's going to make tomorrow REALLY interesting for ya

Having said that, combining with this postI mean, we obviously don't have a 2017 ATAR calculator there yet, so I wouldn't be surprised by a 3 point gap. 9 is a whole new story though.

And admittedly, I don't know much about our own calculator because I never used it when I did my HSC! (ATAR Notes was still just starting in NSW at the time haha.) Hopefully after we see what happens tomorrow we'll get some useful feedback on our calculator ;)

It is so weird hey! Thank you for your help anyway, I guess I'll just be waiting it out until tomorrow now :-)
2017 HSC: Advanced English / Extension 1 English / Mathematics / Extension 1 Maths / Biology / Visual Arts

ATAR: 93.55

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
« Reply #36 on: December 14, 2017, 12:01:24 pm »
It is so weird hey! Thank you for your help anyway, I guess I'll just be waiting it out until tomorrow now :-)
Good luck! :)

carolinewang206

• Forum Regular
  • School: Barrenjoey
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #37 on: December 14, 2017, 01:29:32 pm »
EngAd 89 5
EngX1 46 E4
Legal 92 6
MathsG2 89 5
MHist 90 6
HistX 44 E3
Relig1 45 6

I think that hsc ninja is the best estimate because it uses all of the most recent data (8 years worth) to give you that range

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
« Reply #38 on: December 14, 2017, 03:13:13 pm »
Congratulations everyone!! You all did absolutely amazing, and should be super proud of your achievements!!

Just remember though that if you are disappointed, or feel disheartened by one of the little numbers on a screen, they don't define you as a person whatsoever, and though it may seem a bit overwhelming right now with everyone asking about marks and atars etc, by about a week or two, everyone will let off :) I was only asked once about my atar at uni (and that was by a v annoying boy don't be like him please) - nobody cares about high school marks, you start afresh (not that that devalues those who are happy with their marks, but just a fact of life) :)

Again congratulations, and good luck for tomorrow!!
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

mitchello

• Trailblazer
  • This sentence is false.
« Reply #39 on: December 14, 2017, 03:15:27 pm »
Happy chappy yo, good surprises slightly outweighed the negative ones. Hope you all got the marks you earned and that uni is nice to us all x

Eng Adv: 94 - holy shit i was not expecting this, my internal was 90 just before hsc
Ancient: 90 - I'll take it man, not too surprised by this one
History Ext: 43 - This is the one subject that really interested me during year 12 so i hoped to get E4, but can't win em all yaknow
Economics: 84 - Hate this subject, hardly studied. I'll take it
Legal: 90 - Really wanted a band 6 for legal and i was sitting just under before the hsc exams, so really happy with this
Math 2u: 78 - This is my worst mark but holy crap its a miracle, i had an avg of 73 right before the hsc and got absolutely walloped in the exam - whole last page unanswered. I don't know what happened but I love it
Advanced English//Mathematics//Economics//Legal Studies//Ancient History//History Extension

paigek3

• Forum Obsessive
  • My name is Ella
« Reply #40 on: December 14, 2017, 03:26:52 pm »
Is there any chance I could get a better ATAR than someone who 5/5 of the ATAR calculators said that the other person would do better than me by roughly .60? Or is it no chance
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 03:30:59 pm by paigek3 »
HSC subjects
Advanced English | Extension 1 English | Extension 2 English | Legal Studies | PDHPE | Society and Culture | General 2 Maths

Need HSC tutoring, mentoring or essay marking? I'm offering all of that online! Check out all the offers, pricing and details here https://bandsevenhsctutoring.wordpress.com/blog/ and feel free to get in contact with me if you want any more info :)

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
« Reply #41 on: December 14, 2017, 03:41:33 pm »
Is there any chance I could get a better ATAR than someone who 5/5 of the ATAR calculators said that the other person would do better than me by roughly .60? Or is it no chance
Of course there is a chance. Just that the chance may be slightly low.

pikachu975

• Forum Obsessive
  • Stars and Bars
« Reply #42 on: December 14, 2017, 04:18:46 pm »
91 advanced english
95 physics
96 biology
99 3u maths
97 4u maths

RIP 99.9 thanks to english

Offering tutoring for Biology, Maths, Maths Ext 1, and Maths Ext 2.
Send me a message if interested!

2016 HSC (Accelerated):
// 2U Maths (97) // SOR 1 (48) //

2017 HSC:
// English Adv // Bio // Phys // 3U Maths // 4U Maths //

Goal: 99.9

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
« Reply #43 on: December 14, 2017, 05:04:42 pm »
i'm such a scaredy cat when it comes to sharing marks; sometimes i feel like there's so much hidden judgement from the person you tell, but this is such a supportive community so here we go :-)

business studies: 85. this was such a surprise! my bad rank brought the mark down a tad but this is a huuuuge improvement from the beginning of the year, yay!
english (standard): 87. i was sooo shocked about this one, especially considering i didn't feel confident coming out of both papers. such a relief.
legal studies: 91. i cried when i saw legal. if only my rank was a bit higher, i would've gotten a better overall mark (got 94 in the exam) and i've ranted about this far too much so i'll just stop now.
mathematics: 74. i was definitely expecting a lot worse - i'm no good at maths. i thought it would be nice to scrape a 70, and i did so yay!
modern history: 88. so disappointed with this one. i kept making excuses for not studying as much for this exam, because i was sick during week 1 of exams, and it's really come to haunt me. i guess it's over now, but i'm really annoyed i didn't study as much because i definitely would've gotten a band 6.

anyway, overall i'd say i did decent, considering i lost almost all my motivation to study very early this year - pretty much studied because i knew i would feel guilty for not doing so. the atar calculators are giving me around 87-88, which is awesome because i would've been happy with 50 (not even kidding about this) so yea!

congrats everyone - whether your results are good or bad, you've finished high school. and whatever happens tomorrow, your atar is only one pathway of getting into uni :-) stay chill
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

unhappychappy

• Adventurer
« Reply #44 on: December 14, 2017, 05:13:27 pm »
Ok this may be a stupid question but i have literally no one else to ask.

Today was the worst day of my life, I woke up to shocking marks (as expected because i did not perform my best during the hsc period)
Anyways, my predicted atar is around 81-83ish, and my first preference is Economics at UNSW which requires a 93 atar :(
If i get 3 bonus points from hsc plus and EAS Points from- low-socio economic school and EAS application because i am a refugee, is there ANY chance i can get in?

I really dont want to do the whole transferring and other pathways blah blah, please helpppppp