Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 08:37:07 pm

Author Topic: Identifying Techniques  (Read 580 times)

david.ko3

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Identifying Techniques
« on: April 29, 2019, 10:12:48 am »
Hi!
I always have a hard time trying to identifying techniques and stayed with English Advanced only because of scaling. How do I get better at looking at a sentence and figuring out a technique? Thanks  :)

avocadinq

• MOTM: FEB 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +44
Re: Identifying Techniques
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2019, 11:12:25 am »
+1
Hi!
I always have a hard time trying to identifying techniques and stayed with English Advanced only because of scaling. How do I get better at looking at a sentence and figuring out a technique? Thanks  :)

Finding techniques in a sentence is a thing that develops with practice. It's a case of learning what the techniques are eg. motif - reoccuring idea throughout a specific text, practicing identifying techniques consistently with different texts and if necessary, getting feedback from your teachers about your analysis. There's a really good list of literary, visual and film techniques on the Matrix website https://www.matrix.edu.au/essential-guide-english-techniques/the-literary-techniques-toolkit/ to help you get started!

Hope this helps,
- avocadinq
HSC 2019 | chemistry, english advanced, mathematics, mathematics ext 1, modern history and legal studies
For more study inspiration, check out my studygram! @quadrtics

Pearlmilktea

• MOTM: DEC 19
  • Forum Regular
  • "fun n fresh"
  • Respect: +44
Re: Identifying Techniques
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2019, 05:28:58 pm »
Wow the list above is literally so helpful I'll definitely check it out :)

To build on the above point, I usually have a fall back list of techniques that can be generally applied to texts.
For example:
  • Rhetorical questions
  • Imagery
  • Metaphor
  • Simile
  • Repetition/ anaphora
  • 1st, 2nd and 3rd person
  • Formality of language
  • Humour
  • Juxtaposition/ contrast

Those are some examples I use :) Hope that helps!
HSC 2018: French Continuers (92)
HSC 2019: Biology (94), English Adv (92), French Extension  (41), Legal Studies (91) and Italian Beginners (95).

ATAR: 98.45
HSC All-rounder :)

Gracie :D