Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 08:49:10 am

Author Topic: So i've basically screwed up my internals  (Read 2485 times)

UnicornAlpha

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
So i've basically screwed up my internals
« on: April 08, 2019, 06:50:49 pm »
Im really hoping to get a band 5 in the HSC, but my internals have capped my max at 75%, which im unlikely to get considering i still have two assessments left and probably wont get a hundred percent in them. I literally just failed my first ever assessment and it was english to yeah... I really dont know what to do now. Im coming last in my advanced class and i probably can get a band 5 in the hsc exam. I don't know what to do. I got high goals but now they seem unlikely to me, i just need some advice and insight into this. Should i drop to standard or idk
« Last Edit: April 08, 2019, 09:10:20 pm by UnicornAlpha »

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
Re: So i've basically screwed up my internals
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2019, 07:05:42 pm »
+2
Im really hoping to get a band 5 in the HSC, but my internals have capped my max at 75, which im unlikely to get considering i still have two assessments left and probably wont get a hundred percent in them. I really dont know what to do now. Im coming last in my advanced class and i probably can get a band 5 in the hsc exam. I don't know what to do. I got high goals but now they seem unlikely to me, i just need some advice and insight into this. Should i drop to standard or idk
Hey there,

Welcome to the forums!

Right now, you should focus on improving and performing well in the next two assessments. Honestly though, it's easier to get a Band 5 if you consistently get a Band 5 rather than have inconsistent marks in different areas because say you get an 18 in one section and then you get a 12 in a different section, they'll scale that 18 down to a mark somewhere in the middle. If you consistently score 16-18 in internals, it's very consistent and you'd still get the Band 5. As for your rank, your ranks are gonna be scaled anyway! You may be coming last in your class, but maybe your school makes really hard papers, whereas someone who's coming first in a different school goes to a school that makes easier papers so their average marks look good. Regardless, I wouldn't recommend dropping down to Standard because you'll have to catch up 2 term's worth of content, meaning you'll need to read the prescribed texts, whereas you could use that time to work on your Advanced marks.

Hope this helps!
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

DrDusk

• NSW MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +130
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 10:06:17 pm »
+1
Im really hoping to get a band 5 in the HSC, but my internals have capped my max at 75%, which im unlikely to get considering i still have two assessments left and probably wont get a hundred percent in them. I literally just failed my first ever assessment and it was english to yeah... I really dont know what to do now. Im coming last in my advanced class and i probably can get a band 5 in the hsc exam. I don't know what to do. I got high goals but now they seem unlikely to me, i just need some advice and insight into this. Should i drop to standard or idk

One of my friends failed a chemistry TRIAL exam and barely passed the half yearly. He also basically got 60's for most his other internals. He still ended up with a 78 from a school ranked in the 300s. So I see no reason why you cannot get a band 5.

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2019, 10:18:05 pm »
+3

Hey, UnicornAlpha!

Just adding to what Olivia's already said about having resilience if you're disappointed about your marks. Taking on feedback for English is crucial to improving your results long term and to keep you motivated. I know that being drawn to your mark is the first reaction to feedback but what you need to do now is focus on the comments your teacher has made. Figure out an action plan on what aspects of your writing that needs targeting to elevate your performance. If the comments are vague and unhelpful, arrange to speak to your teacher and ask them to go through the assessment. You can also ask any questions here in the English Advanced Question Thread and post the assessment up for more feedback in the Marking and Feedback Thread. The key thing to take out of this is to keep working hard! Anything is achievable if you source the best strategies to reach those goals  :)

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

UnicornAlpha

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2019, 05:16:40 pm »
Thanks :D Thing is my average for internals by end of hsc is probably gonna be in the 60s for english. It's scary because i know i can do so much better and have written alot of band 5-6 essays before. Im really scared for the HSc because it puts more pressure on the other subjects.
Hey there,

Welcome to the forums!

Right now, you should focus on improving and performing well in the next two assessments. Honestly though, it's easier to get a Band 5 if you consistently get a Band 5 rather than have inconsistent marks in different areas because say you get an 18 in one section and then you get a 12 in a different section, they'll scale that 18 down to a mark somewhere in the middle. If you consistently score 16-18 in internals, it's very consistent and you'd still get the Band 5. As for your rank, your ranks are gonna be scaled anyway! You may be coming last in your class, but maybe your school makes really hard papers, whereas someone who's coming first in a different school goes to a school that makes easier papers so their average marks look good. Regardless, I wouldn't recommend dropping down to Standard because you'll have to catch up 2 term's worth of content, meaning you'll need to read the prescribed texts, whereas you could use that time to work on your Advanced marks.

Hope this helps!

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2019, 06:07:38 pm »
+3
Thanks :D Thing is my average for internals by end of hsc is probably gonna be in the 60s for english. It's scary because i know i can do so much better and have written alot of band 5-6 essays before. Im really scared for the HSc because it puts more pressure on the other subjects.
Don't forget your marks are also scaled as well! I know this because I was in your position last year. Not in Advanced English but in my other subjects, particularly maths. Throughout the year, I would barely pass math, I'm talking about just over 50%. My marks improved to about 60%, moving my rank from 14/30-something people to 11. But ignoring the ranks, 60% isn't the best mark. When I got my HSC marks, I was so shocked that my assessment mark (which is internals not the HSC exam mark) was 80/100 (no joke, till this day I am still confused how I got that mark).

Moral of the story: don't focus too much on predicting your score because you may be surprised in the end!
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW

UnicornAlpha

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2019, 06:56:15 pm »
+1
oh wow, thats comforting to hear! congratulations
Maths is my strongest subject right now and ive been under alot of pressure from school and was mentally screwed when i did my assignment. Thanks :D I literally lost 5 marks (which is like 25%) due to the dumbest mistakes in my exam that makes me cringe. :( but hopefully i can reach top 3 for maths through the next assignments.

Don't forget your marks are also scaled as well! I know this because I was in your position last year. Not in Advanced English but in my other subjects, particularly maths. Throughout the year, I would barely pass math, I'm talking about just over 50%. My marks improved to about 60%, moving my rank from 14/30-something people to 11. But ignoring the ranks, 60% isn't the best mark. When I got my HSC marks, I was so shocked that my assessment mark (which is internals not the HSC exam mark) was 80/100 (no joke, till this day I am still confused how I got that mark).

Moral of the story: don't focus too much on predicting your score because you may be surprised in the end!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2019, 06:58:16 pm by UnicornAlpha »