Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 12:27:37 pm

Author Topic: Mrs Dalloway + The Hours  (Read 1664 times)

rutilantel

• Adventurer
  • Student Dilemmas!
  • Respect: +3
Mrs Dalloway + The Hours
« on: March 18, 2019, 06:08:14 pm »
Hello Guys, hope you're all well!

So, my assignment task is to create a visual essay. Firstly, I plan to write the essay then transform it.
The question is,
Analyse how Stephen Daldry brought to our attention the universality of human experience through the reimagining and reframing of Mrs Dalloway.

My idea at the moment is to write about 'The Role of Women' as one theme, and 'Death/Mortality' linked with happiness as the other.
Can someone help me out with a further brainstorm? Or some tips regarding how I should approach this question?

Thank you :-)  ;D
★ HSC 2019 ★
Advanced English, Business Studies, Legal Studies, SOR 1, Drama,  Standard Math

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
Re: Mrs Dalloway + The Hours
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 11:20:37 pm »
+1
Hey, rutilantel!

The question you have sounds like they fused the Common Module and Module A together  :o That does present some interesting points to discuss though about the texts and can enable you to have a more broad discussion in your essay. Some tips for the question itself  :)

- "Brought to our attention" is key to this question because it focuses on the role of the audience. As consumers of his film, what are our responsibilities? What are his intended reactions for us to have and what do we do with them? Make sure all your analyses link back to the effect and impact The Hours has on audiences.

- "The universality of human experience" aspect of the question supported well with your ideas on gender roles and mortality. These themes are present and permeate across all spheres of life and your essay will be able to address the idea of "universality", that these themes are common and relevant across time (otherwise, he wouldn't have appropriated Mrs Dalloway!)

- Despite the question appearing to focus more on the film and the "reimagining and reframing" of the parent text, do ensure you reference the novel. Explore how quotes and techniques from the book have been consequently transformed into a visual representation and adaptation. I would advise you to gear towards choosing more form-based techniques for the film such as camera angles, splicing, panning shots, lighting and music to convey this "reimagining and reframing" process. This can ensure that you understand how it has reacted and revived Mrs Dalloway in a different form. You would also then discuss the way this makes the ideas in Mrs Dalloway accessible to a wider audience and how this enables Daldry to spread its messages to reach more people.

To support your themes in particular, you could look at a feminist reading of Mrs Dalloway and the subheading Taking Steps Towards The Grave in these articles. They can help you formulate your ideas further and engage more in depth with the parent text. This will, in turn, make it easier for you to see how Daldry has brought these concepts to life on screen  :)

Hope that helps! Let me know if you have any further questions  ;D

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music