Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 04:51:39 am

Author Topic: HELP - Most important things to study for tomorrow  (Read 2234 times)  Share 

lloader

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
HELP - Most important things to study for tomorrow
« on: October 31, 2019, 06:24:25 pm »
Due to an accident and head injury I have just finished catching up on my SACS and have missed 11 weeks of school/content. I have only been able to study for limited time and have been doing SAC study and English Lang until today.
I now literally have tonight to study for Biology.
Can anyone give me a list of what's most important to know - I'm totally overwhelmed with the content and need to concentrate on the important stuff.
Thanks in advance.

ssillyssnakes

• MOTM: OCT 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +36
Re: HELP - Most important things to study for tomorrow
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2019, 06:28:36 pm »
+2
Due to an accident and head injury I have just finished catching up on my SACS and have missed 11 weeks of school/content. I have only been able to study for limited time and have been doing SAC study and English Lang until today.
I now literally have tonight to study for Biology.
Can anyone give me a list of what's most important to know - I'm totally overwhelmed with the content and need to concentrate on the important stuff.
Thanks in advance.

The key things that are tested on are usually about the specific immune response , transcription/translation/gene regulation, and how speciation occurs (allopatric speciation is almost always a multi mark queston).

Do you want specifics in what information or is that enough?
2019: Bio [38 rip]

2020: Literature, Methods, Chemistry, and Classical Studies

lloader

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2019, 06:31:58 pm »
Thanks so much ssillyssnakes. Any additional help would be very very appreciated at this stage. Cheers

ssillyssnakes

• Forum Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2019, 06:38:48 pm »
Thanks so much ssillyssnakes. Any additional help would be very very appreciated at this stage. Cheers

Can you please tell me generally what topics you are comfortable with and we can start from there?

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
  • Respect: +3102
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2019, 06:47:19 pm »
+5
Hey!

First thing is to figure out what content you've missed.
Easiest way to do that is with notes - I'm assuming you don't have proper notes for the whole year. My notes aren't perfect but are fairly comprehensive and far shorter than your textbook haha. U3 notes are here, U4 are here.

Go through and highlight everything in 3 colours - green if you know it, orange if it sounds familiar but you don't really know it, and red if you have no idea what it's about.

Given you missed a chunk, the content you've missed will probably be a chunk too. After you've done that, start with the stuff you've highlighted red, and read through it again. Try to connect the information you're reading to what you already know as best as you can or apply it to a real life scenario - attaching new knowledge to information that's already in your long term memories is one of the fastest ways to remember things.

As ssillyssnakes said, there are some questions that are more likely to come up. However you're probably better off attempting those questions and then improving them rather than just learning the theory.

After you've gone through the content and figured out what you don't know and attempted to learn that, try and do an exam or at least part of an exam - either the 2017 or 2018. Ignore the multiple choice, just have a go at answering some or all of the short answer questions and then go back through with the solutions and edit your answers as best you can - whilst you're doing this attempt to add that new information about how to answer the question to the information that you already know about it in your mind, it'll be easier than remembering it separately.
2019: B. Environment and Sustainability/B. Science @ ANU
2020: Just Vibing
2021: B. Paramedicine/B. Nursing @ ACU Canberra

lloader

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2019, 06:50:53 pm »
I think I'm ok on how speciation occurs including allopatric speciation, but the others - not so much!
Thank you.

lloader

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2019, 07:20:26 pm »
+1
Thanks so much PhoenixxFire - this is awesome. I'm onto it now.
Is there anyone that can give me like a top 20 things I MUST know inside out......

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2019, 07:42:09 pm »
Can't really tell you what's most important to learn because we don't know what'll be on the exam. e.g. specific immunity is something that you might get a question worth quite a lot of marks on - but in my year it didn't get tested at all in short answer so if you learnt that in detail then it'd just be wasted time. It's a more effective use of your time to get a general understanding of everything than to learn some things in detail that may or may not actually be on the exam.

ssillyssnakes

• Forum Regular
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2019, 07:44:42 pm »
+4
Attached are some VCAA question banks from past exams grouped by category that you can do if you want to gage your familiarity with each section.

The main points to rememebr with transcription is that:
- RNA Polymerase binds to the promotor region of the gene
- RNA Polymerase reads the template strand in a 3' to 5' direction, making a complementary pre mRNA strand in the 5'-3' direction
- Upon reaching the terminator region of the gene, the mRNA is released and undergoes post transcriptional modification (introns are cut out, a poly A tail is added to the 3' end of the mRNA and a methyl cap to the 5' end)

In translation:
- The mRNA binds to the ribosome, which reads it in a 5'-3' direction
- tRNA molecules bind to the codons (sections of 3 bases) on the mRNA as they reach the ribosome. They bind via their complementary anti-codons, a process which releasing the corresponding amino acid (which tRNA holds). This process builds the polypeptide chain (one amino acid added at a time) until the STOP codon is reached and wow  now we have a polypeptide

For photosynthesis what is important is the inputs and outputs of each stage:

Light dependent stage:
Inputs: Water, NADP+, ADP+Pi, (+light but doesnt count as an input really, but its needed)
Outputs: Oxygen gas, NADPH, ATP

Light Independent stage:
Inputs: Carbon dioxide, ATP, NADPH
Outputs: Glucose, ADP+Pi, NADP+

Similarly for cellular respiration you need to know the inputs and outputs for each stage:

Glycolysis:
Inputs: Glucose, NAD+, ADP+Pi
Outputs: Pyruvate, NADH, ATP

Krebs cycle:
Inputs: Pyruvate (converted to Acetyl CoA), NAD+, FADH+, ADP+Pi
Outputs: Carbon dioxide, NADH, FADH2, ATP

Electron Transport Chain:
Inputs: ADP+Pi, FADH2, NADH, oxygen
Outputs: 32-24 ATP, water, FADH+, NAD+

With the immune system area, thats a bit harder to condense, so is there any areas specifically you'd like clarification?

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +35
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2019, 08:48:57 pm »
Does anyone have more practice exams?
2019 (Goals) ATAR: 93.00
Physics [44] Chemistry [40] Biology [40] English [35] Methods [25]

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2019, 08:53:10 pm »
+1
Does anyone have more practice exams?
There's no point doing another exam now, especially if it's not a vcaa one. There isn't enough time to do it properly, mark it thoroughly, and still get enough sleep. If you're really desperate to do a few more questions then you'd be better off redoing the vcaa questions that you did badly on. Would really recommend just doing something to relax and getting to sleep soon instead though.

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +35
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2019, 08:59:05 pm »
Thanks for the advice

Also, what's your advice on the approach for experimental design questions?
2019 (Goals) ATAR: 93.00
Physics [44] Chemistry [40] Biology [40] English [35] Methods [25]

PhoenixxFire

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • They/them/theirs
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2019, 09:08:08 pm »
+1
Thanks for the advice

Also, what's your advice on the approach for experimental design questions?
The most important bit is to make sure that you read the question carefully so that you know what it's asking and that you make your answer specific to whatever scenario you have, don't just give a generalised response.