Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 12:41:36 am

Author Topic: Should i do a Bachelor of Global Studies/Science or Bachelor of Arts/Science  (Read 1513 times)  Share 

Raydog90

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Hey!! So i plan to do a:

Bachelor of Global Studies/Science
- Major in International relations and geographical science

OR

Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Science
- Major in international relations and Geographical science. Minor in Korean studies.

What interests me about global studies is that i can go overseas and gain new experiences, however, i can't study Korean without doing a diploma. In the bachelor of arts/science i can do Korean, science and international studies, however, i'm not sure if i can go overseas to Korea or Malaysia like i have planned. Can i still do the Global Immersion Guarantee or do a semester/year abroad? If i do the bachelor of arts/science.
VCE 2019:
Computing Informatics (39 ~ 34)

VCE 2020:
Drama, Business Management, Legal Studies, English, Further Mathematics

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
What interests me about global studies is that i can go overseas and gain new experiences, however, i can't study Korean without doing a diploma. In the bachelor of arts/science i can do Korean, science and international studies, however, i'm not sure if i can go overseas to Korea or Malaysia like i have planned. Can i still do the Global Immersion Guarantee or do a semester/year abroad? If i do the bachelor of arts/science.
Typically, as long as you are eligible and you have the grades, you can study abroad for a while. This is something that will need some planning and configuring with your faculty when you begin your degree. (I'm assuming Monash here, seeing as this is what you've mentioned in past posts.) Monash has a Malaysia campus in which many units will be readily available, which would probably mean less hassle, and I'm pretty sure connections to a Korean university or two that you could ask about. As for the Global Immersion Guarantee, yes you can in either degree*, as you'd be doing a related double degree, assuming you meet the requirements.   

As for which degree (as per the title of this thread), I'd be leaning more towards the BA/Sci to do what you want to do, as you've stated above, however, I would recommend that you pick according to what suits you, your skill set and your interests best. The final decision should be made by you.

* I believe AN admin Joseph41 went on exchange to Malaysia while taking his BA at Monash.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2019, 11:32:50 pm by AngelWings »
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +86
I'd be leaning to BA/Sci too as it lets you do everything you want to do, and it does seem to make you eligible still for the Global Immersion Guarantee. Of course, it's completely your decision in the end.

From some conversations I've had with some of the Korean studies staff, typically anyone is eligible to study abroad at one of the partnered universities as long as they meet the requirements (including some of the Korean studies specific requirements), but they do allegedly prioritise those with high marks who are doing Korean studies majors/extended majors rather than minors. This was based on short conversations from 2017 and 2018, so some things may have changed since, especially as Korean studies at Monash is going under a long term 'revamp' project right now (since 2017).

If you do end up at Monash, regardless of your course choice, I definitely recommend getting in contact with some of the Korean studies staff as soon as possible to see if they can give you some advice and/or point you to appropriate resources. They're all really nice people and enthusiastic about students engaging with Korean studies here and abroad. :)
2017~2020 (Monash) | BA, BA(Hons)Psy
2021~ | job! - AN hiatus, it's been fun here (:

Raydog90

• Adventurer
I'd be leaning to BA/Sci too as it lets you do everything you want to do, and it does seem to make you eligible still for the Global Immersion Guarantee. Of course, it's completely your decision in the end.

From some conversations I've had with some of the Korean studies staff, typically anyone is eligible to study abroad at one of the partnered universities as long as they meet the requirements (including some of the Korean studies specific requirements), but they do allegedly prioritise those with high marks who are doing Korean studies majors/extended majors rather than minors. This was based on short conversations from 2017 and 2018, so some things may have changed since, especially as Korean studies at Monash is going under a long term 'revamp' project right now (since 2017).

If you do end up at Monash, regardless of your course choice, I definitely recommend getting in contact with some of the Korean studies staff as soon as possible to see if they can give you some advice and/or point you to appropriate resources. They're all really nice people and enthusiastic about students engaging with Korean studies here and abroad. :)

Thanks for the advice! Can i do 1 major in science and 2 majors in arts? eg. Geographical Science/International Relations and Korean Studies

I do believe it says this under Part A of arts major:
http://www.monash.edu/pubs/2019handbooks/courses/S2006.html

Please correct me if i'm wrong!
VCE 2019:

VCE 2020:

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +86
Thanks for the advice! Can i do 1 major in science and 2 majors in arts? eg. Geographical Science/International Relations and Korean Studies

Yes! Arts requires you at a minimum to do 1 major and 1 minor. You can use your elective spaces to do 2 majors under Arts instead.
2017~2020 (Monash) | BA, BA(Hons)Psy
2021~ | job! - AN hiatus, it's been fun here (:

Raydog90

• Adventurer
Yes! Arts requires you at a minimum to do 1 major and 1 minor. You can use your elective spaces to do 2 majors under Arts instead.

Thank you so much! I really appreciate the help!
VCE 2019:

VCE 2020: