Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 03:30:57 pm

Author Topic: Vector Proof Help  (Read 937 times)  Share 

JamieLeaf

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Vector Proof Help
« on: February 13, 2019, 11:55:26 pm »
Hey Guys,
I am really stuck on this problem: "OABC is a parallelogram in which P is the midpoint of CB, and D is a point on AP such that d(AD) =2/3d(A/D). Prove that vector OD = 2/3 OB and that O, D and B are collinear."

By the way, does anyone have any advice on how to get better at vector proofs like this and how I could get better at vectors apart from practice? Thanks!!!

AlphaZero

• MOTM: DEC 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • \[\Gamma(z)\Gamma(1-z)=\frac{\pi}{\sin(\pi z)}\]
  • Respect: +160
Re: Vector Proof Help
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2019, 10:50:02 pm »
+3
Hey Guys,
I am really stuck on this problem: "OABC is a parallelogram in which P is the midpoint of CB, and D is a point on AP such that d(AD) =2/3d(A/D). Prove that vector OD = 2/3 OB and that O, D and B are collinear."

By the way, does anyone have any advice on how to get better at vector proofs like this and how I could get better at vectors apart from practice? Thanks!!!

\(\overrightarrow{OB}=\overrightarrow{OA}+\overrightarrow{OC}\). Now, we just need to find an expression for \(\overrightarrow{OD}\). \begin{align*}\overrightarrow{OD}&=\overrightarrow{OA}+\overrightarrow{AD}\\
&=\overrightarrow{OA}+\frac23\overrightarrow{AP}\\
&=\overrightarrow{OA}+\frac23\left(\overrightarrow{AB}+\overrightarrow{BP}\right)\\
&=\overrightarrow{OA}+\frac23\left(\overrightarrow{AB}-\frac12\overrightarrow{CB}\right)\\
&=\overrightarrow{OA}+\frac23\left(\overrightarrow{OC}-\frac12\overrightarrow{OA}\right)\\
&=\overrightarrow{OA}+\frac23\overrightarrow{OC}-\frac13\overrightarrow{OA}\\
&=\frac23\overrightarrow{OA}+\frac23\overrightarrow{OC}\\
&=\frac23\left(\overrightarrow{OA}+\overrightarrow{OC}\right)\\
&=\frac23\overrightarrow{OB}\end{align*}
Hence, \(O,\ D,\ \text{and}\ B\) are collinear.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 10:56:50 pm by dantraicos »
2015\(-\)2017:  VCE
2018\(-\)2021:  Bachelor of Biomedicine and Mathematical Sciences Diploma, University of Melbourne