Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 08:42:53 pm

Author Topic: HSC English Question Thread  (Read 30432 times)

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
Re: HSC English Question Thread
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2019, 02:43:36 pm »
+1
Hi, yeah we have to focus on episodes 1-3 from season 3, I can maybe do a paragraph on families being stuck in source countries, thank you for your help :). Also would the interview with Masara (episode 1) where she talks about losing her baby be an example of struggle with adversity?
Thank you again for your help !
Masara talking about her baby is definitely an example of adversity. Good luck and I'm glad I could help!

IsabellaGoodwin

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2019, 09:22:11 am »
Hey!

I am doing The Crucible as my prescribed text for the common module assessment and Of Mice and Men as my related text. I want to comment on the genre of The Crucible being a tragedy but i'm not sure if I should explain 'why' it is a tragedy in the introduction or do I need a separate paragraph?? My two key human experiences that i'm referring to are guilt and fear so i'm not sure whether it would be weird to then have a another paragraph on genre?? Help please!!

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2019, 11:06:58 am »
+1
Hey!

I am doing The Crucible as my prescribed text for the common module assessment and Of Mice and Men as my related text. I want to comment on the genre of The Crucible being a tragedy but i'm not sure if I should explain 'why' it is a tragedy in the introduction or do I need a separate paragraph?? My two key human experiences that i'm referring to are guilt and fear so i'm not sure whether it would be weird to then have a another paragraph on genre?? Help please!!

Hey, IsabellaGoodwin!

You could simply bring it up in the introduction to save having the third paragraph and to focus on those themes you've elected instead. What you could do is note how both texts are guided by tragedy and mistreatment in the human experience which result in representations and thematic explorations of guilt and fear. That way, you can acknowledge the genres of both texts (since OMAM does have tragic elements) and introduce the themes more fluidly. Hope that helps!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

louisaaa01

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +33
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2019, 11:09:45 am »
+2
Hey!

Hi there! Just to add onto angewina_naguen's point, the most effective way I found to approach genre was to mention the genre in the introduction, and then weave genre points into my paragraphs and textual analysis (as opposed to talking about it in isolation). When talking about genre, it's important to consider the conventions of a tragedy and how these conventions are depicted in Miller's play/Of Mice and Men. For instance, a common feature within a tragedy is that it ends in the demise/death of characters, so, you could look at guilt and fear as it develops through the text and examine how the ending of the play adheres to the conventions of a tragedy. You can then make a comparison with the tragic elements in Of Mice and Men (particularly consider differences in form). You could also examine how the emotions of guilt and fear (as conveyed in the quotes you select) arouse an ominous + dismal atmosphere for the audience, again a common feature in tragedies.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 11:11:57 am by louisaaa01 »
2019 ATAR: 99.95

2020 - 2026

USYD BSci / Doctor of Medicine

literallygotnojams13

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2019, 12:12:52 pm »
Masara talking about her baby is definitely an example of adversity. Good luck and I'm glad I could help!
Thank youu :)  :D

mani.s_

• Forum Regular
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2019, 12:27:40 pm »
Hi, I have a multimodal presentation on 'Billy Elliot'  and my related text where I have to choose one of three key experiences : The struggle with adversity or The search for identity or The pursuit of dreams. For my related text, I chose Martin Luther king's speech. Is that a good related text, where I'll be able to make a detailed analysis between Billy Elliot and the speech, or should I change my text?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!!!

louisaaa01

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +33
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2019, 12:46:27 pm »
+2
Hi, I have a multimodal presentation on 'Billy Elliot'  and my related text where I have to choose one of three key experiences : The struggle with adversity or The search for identity or The pursuit of dreams. For my related text, I chose Martin Luther king's speech. Is that a good related text, where I'll be able to make a detailed analysis between Billy Elliot and the speech, or should I change my text?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks!!!

Hi mani.s_

This certainly is a valid related text and it's good that it is of a different form to Billy Elliot, enabling you to make skilful comparison. My only suggestion would be that MLK's speech is extremely popular and arguably an 'obvious' choice as a related text. While you're by no means not allowed to choose an extremely popular work of literature, choosing something perhaps less obvious may show a little more sophistication + flair. It is completely up to you though - the human experiences most definitely interrelate.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2019, 12:51:02 pm by louisaaa01 »
2019 ATAR: 99.95

2020 - 2026

USYD BSci / Doctor of Medicine

mani.s_

• Forum Regular
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2019, 01:53:07 pm »
Hi mani.s_

This certainly is a valid related text and it's good that it is of a different form to Billy Elliot, enabling you to make skilful comparison. My only suggestion would be that MLK's speech is extremely popular and arguably an 'obvious' choice as a related text. While you're by no means not allowed to choose an extremely popular work of literature, choosing something perhaps less obvious may show a little more sophistication + flair. It is completely up to you though - the human experiences most definitely interrelate.
Do u have any texts that I could perhaps do, that have the key experiences listed above???

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2019, 09:31:39 am »
+3
Do u have any texts that I could perhaps do, that have the key experiences listed above???

Hey, mani.s_!

I'd recommend Mao's Last Dancer which is a novel if you wanted to draw some significant links between the role of art (dance in this case) in the human experience as an expression of identity (to which you could then look at individual, collective, qualities, emotions, anomalies etc.) It's basically if Billy Elliot was Chinese  :) If you wanted a less obvious comparison, I'd also recommend Seven People Dancing which is a short story and similarly links to those concepts in the rubric. You could also check out this amazing compilation of related texts thread here for some other suggestions. Hope that helps!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

mani.s_

• Forum Regular
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2019, 06:13:02 pm »
Hey, mani.s_!

I'd recommend Mao's Last Dancer which is a novel if you wanted to draw some significant links between the role of art (dance in this case) in the human experience as an expression of identity (to which you could then look at individual, collective, qualities, emotions, anomalies etc.) It's basically if Billy Elliot was Chinese  :) If you wanted a less obvious comparison, I'd also recommend Seven People Dancing which is a short story and similarly links to those concepts in the rubric. You could also check out this amazing compilation of related texts thread here for some other suggestions. Hope that helps!

Angelina  ;D
Thank you so much, I probably won't do a novel as a related text, as it requires commitment and passion for reading, but I'll make sure I check out 'Seven People Dancing'. Thank you so much for ur help again!!!

mani.s_

• Forum Regular
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2019, 06:15:53 pm »
+1
Hey, mani.s_!

Angelina  ;D
I also had another text in mind. It's "Please Resist Me" by Luka Lesson. It's slam poetry but I wasn't sure if I could make a detailed analysis on the key experiences that I listed. If you have any feedback on that, could you please let me know. THANKS!!! :)

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2019, 01:00:05 pm »
I also had another text in mind. It's "Please Resist Me" by Luka Lesson. It's slam poetry but I wasn't sure if I could make a detailed analysis on the key experiences that I listed. If you have any feedback on that, could you please let me know. THANKS!!! :)

Hey, mani.s_!

I just had a watch of it and it's a great option as well! You could compare it to some of the more defiant scenes we see in Billy Elliot like this one or this one. You can also analyse both the spoken aspects of the slam poem and the visual too with the video. I'd definitely recommend going with this since you can draw some significant links to the human experiences explored in your prescribed text. Hope this helps!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

svnflower

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2020, 07:28:48 pm »
:) Hello

What does it mean by the 'complexity of human experience'?

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2020, 02:45:59 pm »
+2
:) Hello

What does it mean by the 'complexity of human experience'?

Hey, svnflower!

The "complexity of the human experience" rubric statement is very much linked with "anomalies, paradoxes and inconsistencies in human motivations and behaviours." It's the idea that our human experiences aren't straightforward, that there are always exceptions and things at play that challenge the existence of a simple definition, view etc. If we were to look at the theme of power, for example, you could say that while power is often portrayed as a motivating force that we should be cautious of, it is also something that can encourage positive behaviours and outcomes for an individual. This shows how power is complex in nature and can have different effects depending on the circumstances it is exercised in. Hopefully that makes sense but if you have a text you would like me to illustrate an example for, I could!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

svnflower

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2020, 03:46:26 pm »
This concept is much more clear now, thanks a lot Angelina!!!

Could you help me identify how the complexity of human experiences is represented in this extract: