Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 19, 2024, 02:56:44 pm

Author Topic: English Advanced Question Thread  (Read 1228747 times)

mobicman

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: English Advanced Question Thread
« Reply #4680 on: March 04, 2021, 11:17:18 pm »
oh okay, thanks for your reply!

Just a follow-up question, what word count should you be hitting approximately which would be enough for good analysis?

I'm writing about 550-600 and I'm scared if that is too much

Justin_L

• MOTM: July 20
  • HSC Moderator
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +235
« Reply #4681 on: March 05, 2021, 10:23:58 am »
+4
oh okay, thanks for your reply!

Just a follow-up question, what word count should you be hitting approximately which would be enough for good analysis?

I'm writing about 550-600 and I'm scared if that is too much

Not at all! While your assignments will generally have word limits to allow your teachers to mark everything in a reasonable timeframe, you should be writing as much as you can during exam conditions (without sacrificing quality of course). There's no specific word count for "good analysis", it all depends on the quality of the piece. That being said, a higher word count is almost always better because of the extra detail.
Да здравствует революция государственного модератора

eloisecarey3

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4682 on: March 08, 2021, 06:57:13 pm »
Hi Everyone,
My MODA assessment is coming up and it is an in class essay. We have been given 2 possible questions and told to prepare for each.

1) Understanding evolves through deliberate conversation with the past. To what extent is this statement true of Atwood’s reimagining of Shakespeare’s The Tempest?

2)The textual conversation between The Tempest and Hag-Seed offers new insights into the nature of imprisonment. In your response, make close reference to both prescribed texts.

If I wanted to make my answer to number 1 about how understanding of imprisonment evolves through convo w/ the past (therefore effectively using the same essay plan but re-wording my thesis to fit the question) would this be okay in the eyes of a teacher? Or do you think that would be frowned upon and I should move forward with learning 2 separate essay plans??

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • 🚀🚀Secret to getting ahead: Get Started!
  • Respect: +456
« Reply #4683 on: March 08, 2021, 07:22:13 pm »
+6
Hi Everyone,
My MODA assessment is coming up and it is an in class essay. We have been given 2 possible questions and told to prepare for each.

1) Understanding evolves through deliberate conversation with the past. To what extent is this statement true of Atwood’s reimagining of Shakespeare’s The Tempest?

2)The textual conversation between The Tempest and Hag-Seed offers new insights into the nature of imprisonment. In your response, make close reference to both prescribed texts.

If I wanted to make my answer to number 1 about how understanding of imprisonment evolves through convo w/ the past (therefore effectively using the same essay plan but re-wording my thesis to fit the question) would this be okay in the eyes of a teacher? Or do you think that would be frowned upon and I should move forward with learning 2 separate essay plans??

Hey eloisecarey3!
Welcome to the forums

Yes, I would say this is ok. From both questions, it is clear that imprisonment is something you will need to discuss in both scenarios, which is great because this narrows down what you may want/ need to include. But always ask your teacher what they think is best also.

I would memorise a general thesis, but then adapting it to the given question on the day. This ensures that you aren't memorising specifics, but rather a general statement for which you can discuss suitably.

Make sure you have a good amount of quotes so that you are discussing many points throughout the essay. Also, remember to include, context, form, authorial purpose (why Atwood or Shakespeare chose to use certain conventions or language techniques), audience impact and language techniques in your analysis. This will illustrate sophistication to your marker.

Just a Quick Note:
- All of the characters on the Island in "The Tempest" are imprisoned in their own way; Miranda is imprisoned by the island and psychologically, Prospero is imprisoned by the island and Caliban is imprisoned by Prospero
- Likewise, in "Hag-Seed", Felix is imprisoned psychologically by the death of his daughter, Miranda, who becomes a Poltergeist of his life. The prisoners are trapped by the prison etc.
- You could talk about Caliban's imprisonment and how this differs from a modern day correctional facility
- Does a four hundred year old conversation enhance our understanding of imprisonment?
- Does Shakespeare become a Zeitgeist of his time? Likewise, does Atwood become a Zeitgeist of her time?

I hope this helps!
Coolmate 8)
🤯HSC 2020:🤯
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

👊Need Motivation Click Here!💪         🌴Bio Marking and Feedback!

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5

anonymous_bean

• Adventurer
« Reply #4684 on: May 09, 2021, 06:50:56 pm »

Hi this is my first time posting here.
My question is what is the difference between language features, narrative conventions and language techniques? I get confused if there is a difference and what are examples of language features. I feel they often overlap?

BroodrykL

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4685 on: May 20, 2021, 03:57:34 pm »
Hi, I'm struggling to identify what technique is used in this quote.

"he sees my eyes and I see his, and he blushes"

In returning my pass, the one with the peach-colored mustache
bends his head to try to get a look at my face. I raise my head a little,
to help him, and he sees my eyes and I see his, and he blushes.

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #4686 on: May 21, 2021, 12:03:09 am »
+2
Hi this is my first time posting here.
My question is what is the difference between language features, narrative conventions and language techniques? I get confused if there is a difference and what are examples of language features. I feel they often overlap?

Hey, anonymous_bean!

Hope this response isn't too delayed! With terminology like this, schools use them all interchangeably so it's hard to pinpoint an exact answer of which is which. These are just my thoughts based on my experience studying English in school myself  :) Language features and techniques are essentially the same thing; they're what we formally might know as "literary devices." They are all the different methods composers employ in their writing such as personification, metaphor, simile, juxtaposition or onomatopoeia. Narrative conventions are features of storytelling, rather than language, and are typical characteristics that appear in stories including characters, setting, plot, structure and style. Regardless of what schools refer to them as, your goal is to locate textual evidence that can effectively support your arguments in extended responses. Once you have the examples, you analyse them based on what language features/techniques/narrative conventions they have and draw meaning from what they represent  :D

Hi, I'm struggling to identify what technique is used in this quote.

"he sees my eyes and I see his, and he blushes"

In returning my pass, the one with the peach-colored mustache
bends his head to try to get a look at my face. I raise my head a little,
to help him, and he sees my eyes and I see his, and he blushes.

Hey, BroodrykL!

Welcome to the forums :D I would recommend using polysyndeton which is a type of cumulative listing where you have multiple conjunctions (in this case, "and") deployed to produce a chain of events and ideas. In this example, we see the characters develop a deeply intimate relationship through the connection created from polysyndeton. Whenever in doubt, you can also always fall back on first-person/third-person pronouns as techniques to discuss the meaningfulness of an experience to the individual and/or to others they interact with within the text :) Hope that helps!

Angelina ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

anonymous_bean

• Adventurer
« Reply #4687 on: May 21, 2021, 12:22:54 am »
Hey, anonymous_bean!

Hope this response isn't too delayed! With terminology like this, schools use them all interchangeably so it's hard to pinpoint an exact answer of which is which. These are just my thoughts based on my experience studying English in school myself  :) Language features and techniques are essentially the same thing; they're what we formally might know as "literary devices." They are all the different methods composers employ in their writing such as personification, metaphor, simile, juxtaposition or onomatopoeia. Narrative conventions are features of storytelling, rather than language, and are typical characteristics that appear in stories including characters, setting, plot, structure and style. Regardless of what schools refer to them as, your goal is to locate textual evidence that can effectively support your arguments in extended responses. Once you have the examples, you analyse them based on what language features/techniques/narrative conventions they have and draw meaning from what they represent  :D

Hey, BroodrykL!

Welcome to the forums :D I would recommend using polysyndeton which is a type of cumulative listing where you have multiple conjunctions (in this case, "and") deployed to produce a chain of events and ideas. In this example, we see the characters develop a deeply intimate relationship through the connection created from polysyndeton. Whenever in doubt, you can also always fall back on first-person/third-person pronouns as techniques to discuss the meaningfulness of an experience to the individual and/or to others they interact with within the text :) Hope that helps!

Angelina ;D

Hi thanks for your reply. I’m still a bit confused because I thought language features were features unique to a type of text eg. Persuasive essay. While language techniques were things like metaphors? Or is this thinking wrong? I sometimes get questions asking one or the other. And I get confused what I could talk about. like I don’t know where things like figurative, descriptive language would fit under?

anonymous_bean

• Adventurer
« Reply #4688 on: May 21, 2021, 06:47:08 pm »
Hi I was working on a practise essay question for our exam. The question was “how language choices communicate narrative point of view”. We were told to read an extract from The Escape from Rabbit proof fence. I wrote about how adjectives were used to communicate that the novel was in third person omniscient, however when I showed my teacher she said my approach was wrong. She talked about how omniscient third person knows everything, that the setting was isolated and sparse and that contributed to their fear and anxiety in the setting? I don’t understand how that communicates third person point of view So any advice on how to approach this question would be greatly appreciated!

I.09

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4689 on: June 05, 2021, 11:40:46 am »
Hey Guys,

I have been really struggling to write a description of a farm/crop landscape with long tilled crops.

Any help will be greatly appreciated
Thanks in advance

adnoobiaul

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4690 on: June 06, 2021, 08:34:57 pm »
Hello everyone I have an English advanced assessment and I'm kinda confused. The stimulus is "by reading narrative, we escape the anxiety that attacks us when we try to say something about the world". We have to choose 2 out of 5 poems (refugee blues, September 1 1939, the unknown citizen, muse des beaux arts and in memory of w b Yeats). I don't know whether my to agree or disagree with the statement because i feel like the poems actually don't give us the ability to escape the anxiety that Auden embeds within his poem. Can someone please help :)

twelftholmes

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #4691 on: July 07, 2021, 03:23:15 pm »
Hello!!!

While creating a quote technique table, how much in depth analysis should I have?
Also how many is too many quotes to remember?

Thanks!
HSC 2020: English Advanced [71], Maths Adv [74]+ Ext [21], Physics [80], Ancient History [79], Business Studies [67]
ATAR: 68.50

round 2!!
HSC 2021: eng adv, math adv, physics, ancient history

Emmaaa.d

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4692 on: July 07, 2021, 06:28:27 pm »
I am so lost with module B. I am studying King Henry and understand the concepts of honour, bravery, etc, but I just don't understand the rubric. I feel like every other module is straightforward and is clear in what it wants you to write about, but I just have no idea what it wants from me!! How do I take these concepts and apply them, and how do I prepare for trials and the HSC when I have no idea what's going to be expected of me!?

I just feel totally lost and hopeless and would appreciate any guidance whatsoever.

emmamoore

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4693 on: July 08, 2021, 06:28:44 pm »
Hey does anyone have any notes/ essays on David Malouf's Earth Hour?

Coolmate

• NSW MVP - 2020
  • HSC Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • 🚀🚀Secret to getting ahead: Get Started!
  • Respect: +456
« Reply #4694 on: July 08, 2021, 07:47:38 pm »
+3
I am so lost with module B. I am studying King Henry and understand the concepts of honour, bravery, etc, but I just don't understand the rubric. I feel like every other module is straightforward and is clear in what it wants you to write about, but I just have no idea what it wants from me!! How do I take these concepts and apply them, and how do I prepare for trials and the HSC when I have no idea what's going to be expected of me!?

I just feel totally lost and hopeless and would appreciate any guidance whatsoever.

Hey Emmaaa.d!
Welcome to the forums :)

Module B is quite a specific module requiring you to not only analyse your text/s, but also critique and provide a personal considered perspective/ opinion on the text. (EG. Why do you think your text's author chose to include a specific symbol in the story? etc.)

Critical Things to include in a Module B Essay:
1. Context, form, and language
✏Weave in context, form, and language (EG. How does the author's context affect how the text was constructed, what kind/s of form is being used and how does this convey meaning?)

📘For Example, in T.S. Eliot's poetry, some poems use dramatic monologue to make the reader curious about what is to come next, more engaged, and willing to continue reading

2. Unify context, form, and language
✏In your essays, you should identify and describe elements on context, form and language

📘For Example, "The seamless integration of form and language provides Eliot with a springboard for illustrating paralysis" - Then continue by elaborating how it affects an audience. What is recognised by the reader through such unity? What does the amalgamation of context, form, and language reveal about a character's construction or moreso the author themself.

Important: Write about how you perceive the stylistic choices/ text meaning and your informed interpretation of these. To further bolster your opinion, provide examples and indicate to the marker why this is the case. This is important as everyone studying the same text will have a different perspective on elements of it, and a unique view will make you stand out.

3. Textual Integrity
✏In the Module B syllabus, one of the things required by a student is to include "textual integrity and its significance". Textual Integrity is defined as, "The unity of a text; its coherent use of form and language to produce an integrated whole in terms of meaning and value." (SOURCE: NESA.com.au). (I went over this in the context, form, and language section above)

ATAR Notes video explaining Textual Integrity - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSrNxSiuGfM&ab_channel=ATARNotesHSC

4. Critics
✏In the Module B syllabus it states, "investigate and evaluate the perspectives of others; and explore the ideas in the text, further strengthening their informed personal perspective"
📘Critics are those who have read a text and have provided their own perspective of the text and opinion of what it illustrates to them.

Where to find critics:
✔Newspapers
✔Articles
✔Scholarly Papers and Articles (Can be found via Google Scholar)
✔Podcasts
✔Official Movie and Book Critics

How to use critics:
You should integrate critics and a quote/s into your response. For Example, {Beginning of sentence here} as critiqued by (Insert critic name here), as being a _____ for the "INSERT CRITIC QUOTE HERE" --> This is how I structured it during my HSC

5. Relevancy of a Text
✏How does a text remain relevant to current society? What assists a text to continue being relevant?

NOTE - I mention T.S. Eliot throughout this post as I studied it for the HSC

I hope this helps and goodluck with your trials :)
Coolmate 8)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2021, 07:50:36 pm by Coolmate »
🤯HSC 2020:🤯
🔥Advanced Maths🔥 - 📚Advanced English📚 - ☄️Physics☄️ - ✌Biology✌ - 🙏SOR 1🙏 - 👨‍💻IPT👨‍💻

🎓University 2021 - 2025:
Bachelor of Science (Biology) / Bachelor of Information Technology (Cyber Security)

👊Need Motivation Click Here!💪         🌴Bio Marking and Feedback!

🧬Biology Guide:
🧪Module 5