Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:49:41 pm

Author Topic: Moving to a new school mid year 12?!  (Read 4570 times)

EllingtonFeint

• Trendsetter
  • Offering private tutoring ✨
  • Respect: +24
Moving to a new school mid year 12?!
« on: February 06, 2019, 04:08:15 am »
EDIT: Ohmigosh I cannot believe I made this rant at like 3am one morning and posted it!
Everything's okayish now and I'm fine (ish).
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 08:55:24 am by EllingtonFeint »
Biology 🌱 [49] |  English [47]

Surviving and Succeeding in Biology:
https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=187145.msg1129188

Lear

• MOTM: JUL 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +328
Re: Moving to a new school mid year 12?!
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2019, 10:21:11 am »
+6
Hey!
Firstly I want to say that it is truly saddening to hear that such an incident occurred and I am sorry to hear this happened to you.
Please make sure that you consider reaching out for professional help.

Moving on to your school life, I can't say that I personally have experienced something like this or know someone close that has either. However, I understand your concerns and will try to provide a sort of insight into my own thinking.
With subjects like Chemistry, Pe and Methods I don't think there will be a drastic impact in that these subjects are pretty standardised throughout and, in fact, you can pretty much rely on yourself to do well in these.
However, English on the other hand for me was quite teacher reliant and I personally feel the teacher and resources available to you can have a big impact on your performance. Moreover, the fact that it is unlikely that you will be studying the same texts presents another issue.
I can't comment on whether you are allowed to continue working in the english class of your old school or not. This will have to be found out from your school.
But I can try and give you some pointers if it turns out you will need to change schools and  by  extension your English class.

Firstly, make sure you get the text list from your new school ASAP and start reading the texts. Yes, you might be slightly behind and will have to work harder to catch up but believe it or not many people don't even fully read their texts at all. You can definitely smash English still.
Also make sure to make use of online resources for the texts you will be studying. This includes essays people have written in the past,  online theme lists and literary criticisms. Unfortunately you may have missed a lot of text discussion if you change mid way through the year so reading these will be important.
Lastly, get started on your argument analysis early!  This is one thing that is universal across all schools so if you can at least ensure  that you are  good at that you will later be able to spend more time on your texts.

I am so so stressed. Literally in tears now. I don’t want to fail VCE and wreck my entire future cos of this but I also keep waking up in the middle of the night scared for my life. We HAVE to move. What’s more is that by the time we’ve sold the current house and bought a new one it will probably be near the end of Term 1 and quite close to Term 2 (I mean there is no worse time to move, is there?!)
Moreover, the UCAT is practically killing me (so if anyone would like to suggest a good board I can stalk in the middle of my midnight freak out sessions, please do it). I meant to start my UCAT studying last weekend but that incident left me shaken and took up many hours of my night, the following day and just my actual life in general, too. So yeah, I feel way behind in the UCAT.

I know this is hard to believe right now. I was in the same position, But how you go in VCE will not 'wreck' your entire future. There are things like graduate entry for medicine that is definitely viable so if you do not do as well as you hoped in VCE, all is not lost. Please understand this.

Regarding the UCAT, it is super new in Australia and you won't really find many resources for it on Australian boards. I would recommend visiting some of the UK Medicine student forums and see if you can find resources there regarding the UKCAT. The UKCAT is the same as the UCAT. I really haven't looked into it much but this site seemed useful from a quick  google - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/UKCAT

(Side note, does anyone else feel stressed attending ATAR NOTES lectures and hearing a guy behind you rave about how brilliant he is at everything and “oh, my father’s purchased literally thousands of dollars worth of trial exams and medentry programs and etc...”?! This happened during my bio lectures last year too, so I do know that some of these people are all talk and hype, but I still feel pretty worried !!)

There are a lot of people like this and often it is them pretending to be confident about themselves in order to hide their own insecurity and weakness. My advice is to outright ignore such people. I know a person myself who spent over $3000 on diamond medentry programs and what not and only managed a score on the UMAT in the mid 30 percentiles. A lot of talk but not much skill.
Focus on  being the best version of yourself that you can and you will definitely excel.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 10:22:42 am by Lear »
2018: ATAR: 99.35
Subjects
English: 44
Methods: 43
Further Maths: 50
Chemistry: 46
Legal: 40
2019: Bachelor of Medical Science and Doctor of Medicine @ Monash