Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:02:31 pm

Author Topic: maintaining ranks and results from year 11  (Read 1051 times)

worldno1

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
maintaining ranks and results from year 11
« on: December 01, 2018, 08:12:31 pm »
hi guys!
i just completed my first set of year 12 internal exams yesterday and to be honest...i feel like i definitely underperformed compared to year 11. i don't know what to do or how to feel - i'm so scared about all the 'what if's; if i fell way below my previous estimate, if i won't be able to recover from this...

does anyone have advice about how to overcome this slump?

dazzas

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: +1
Re: maintaining ranks and results from year 11
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2018, 09:17:31 pm »
+6
Hey worldno1!

Congrats on finishing your first set of HSC assessments. Make sure you get the rest you deserve before getting back on the study grind!

Maintaining ranks was a big deal for me as well so I understand how you feel. The 'what ifs' always got to me in between my assessments, which affected my preparation for my upcoming tests. What I figured out throughout my HSC was that I needed to look at the bigger picture. It's more important to do well across all of your exams and be consistent throughout the year, rather than mentally exhaust yourself by over-worrying after each assessment block and possibly, affecting your preparation for your next one. If you receive any disappointing results for this set of exams, don't be too upset as they tend to have relatively low weightings and - trust me - there are SO MANY chances afterwards for you to redeem yourself and achieve your previous estimate or goals. Rather think of this set of tests as an opportunity to figure out the areas you need to work on or improve, for you to score higher and not repeat the same mistakes in the more important exams (mid course exams, trials, HSC).

Also, don't forget that year 12 is a LOT harder than year 11. There's a lot more content to cover, skills required to excel, and it is also a very physically and emotionally draining experience. So don't feel the need to constantly compare your year 12 performance to last year's. Once again, focus on mark and performance maximisation across the entire year that is ahead of you. Good luck!
HSC 2018: English Advanced, Mathematics, Biology, PDHPE, Modern History, History Extension

owidjaja

• National Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Bibliophile. Stationery addict.
  • Respect: +1010
Re: maintaining ranks and results from year 11
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2018, 10:38:34 pm »
+7
Hey there,

This was definitely something I stressed about around this time of the year. I had good ranks at the end of prelims and I was so scared I wasn't gonna perform as well in Year 12. Just like dazzas said, Year 12 content is a lot harder than prelim content- that's why HSC Task 1 is usually worth less than the other tasks (at least, in my school). Term 4 should be the time for you to see what went wrong with yearly exams, whether it's study technique or time management. That being said, don't burn yourself out too much and over-study (yes, that is a thing and something I deal with often). Take your time to adjusting to the Year 12 content. Even at my school they viewed Term 4 as the term for recuperating from prelims and getting started into HSC year (we even had retreat during this time).

Hope this helps!
2018 HSC: English Advanced | Mathematics | Physics | Modern History | History Extension | Society and Culture | Studies of Religion I

ATAR: 93.60

2019: Aerospace Engineering (Hons)  @ UNSW