Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 09:52:16 am

Author Topic: Bachelor of Science  (Read 1949 times)  Share 

Just another student

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: 0
  • School: Not telling
  • School Grad Year: 2019
Bachelor of Science
« on: July 22, 2019, 07:26:31 pm »
Hello everyone,

I was thinking of applying for the Bachelor of Science/ Master of Engineering graduate package for next year.

I was wondering how many contact hours I could expect for first year and second year (bachelor of science at UoM).

I guess it will depend on subjects but how many contact hours and how many study hours a week would I need, as I heard commerce has only 12 hours a week. Is it possible to work 20+ hours a week?

Is it possible to fit all uni hours into 2 or 3 days for Bachelor of science, as I live quite far from UoM.

Thanks

bookworm2692

• Adventurer
Re: Bachelor of Science
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2019, 10:27:44 pm »
20 ish contact hours a week for first year science is common. I had a friend last year who managed to fit it into three days, but that was 9-5 for three days with almost no breaks and nothing the other two days. Uni can be draining, five hours in one day is about the maximum I'd want. For science, it's better to just go into uni everyday imo

tiffanylps09

• Adventurer
  • My dream is to pet all the puppies in the world.
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2019, 06:35:11 pm »
Indeed, it very much depends on what subjects you take. The average contact hours for science student is around 20, a lot more than that of a commerce student. But, I heard it decreases as you get into your 2nd and 3rd year.

I live quite far from uni as well and in semester 1, I had to go into Uni everyday, which really sucked. I was doing 3 core science subjects (chem, bio and physics) which meant 3x practicals every other week. For me, I felt the pracs were the cause of my problems. They were long (2-3hrs) and they had their own schedule depending on what group you were allocated (which you wont know until Uni starts). And the lectures were also fixed on a specific day in which you must go that day or you'll have to watch that lecture at home. So, having multiple subjects with 2/3x 1-hour lectures on different days was very annoying to work with.

However, another reason was my inexperience in timetabling, I was wary of the amount of work I could do in a day without crashing and tried my best to spread out my classes so I wasn't overloading myself.  Besides that, I was also trying to make time for social events around lunch time etc during semester 1. Now that I'm in semester 2, I'm know the number of classes I can have back-to-back while still staying focused and thus, can pile more stuff into a day.

I knew someone doing the same subjects as me who only had to come in for three days in semester 1 but her timetable was pretty packed with a practical running till 9pm at night. She was also watching lectures online to not come to Uni. So, 2/3 days at uni are doable but still it really depends on the subjects you choose, how the subject is structured (pracs/no prac & no. of lectures), how long you can stay focused and whether you're okay with watching lectures at home.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2019, 06:37:38 pm by tiffanylps09 »
2018 : VCE
EAL | Maths Methods | Chemistry | Biology | Environmental Science | Indonesian 2nd Language
2019 : BSci @ UoM
CHEM 10003 | BIOL 10004 | PHYC 10005 | MGMT 10002
CHEM 10004 | BIOL 10005 | BIOL 10001 | ANSC 10001

subjrevs11

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2019, 01:57:10 pm »
Could we get more info on how far you live and your situation? I live 1.5 hours away from unimelb (unsure whether that's considered far or not), and have no issues whatsoever; I attend and participate in uni more than most on-campus or college students I know. However, I also don't need to work a part time job as I live with my parents, instead I mainly focusing on volunteering activities that are a bit more flexible and degree relevant. If you live around the same distance as me I have some advice, but any further I'm sure others could help

Just another student

• Forum Obsessive
  • School: Not telling
  • School Grad Year: 2019
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2019, 06:25:12 pm »
Could we get more info on how far you live and your situation? I live 1.5 hours away from unimelb (unsure whether that's considered far or not), and have no issues whatsoever; I attend and participate in uni more than most on-campus or college students I know. However, I also don't need to work a part time job as I live with my parents, instead I mainly focusing on volunteering activities that are a bit more flexible and degree relevant. If you live around the same distance as me I have some advice, but any further I'm sure others could help

I live about 1.5 - 2 hours away from UoM. However I will have to get a part time job, preferably around 25 hours a week next year. Would it be possible to work at least 25 hours a week and still maintain good grades in uni or would it be better to work less? (of course depends on subjects and person but asking in general)