Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 05:35:21 am

Author Topic: NORTH SYDNEY BOYS YEAR 8 TEST INFO/HELP/TIPS/PAST PAPERS  (Read 2345 times)

Iliumination

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
NORTH SYDNEY BOYS YEAR 8 TEST INFO/HELP/TIPS/PAST PAPERS
« on: October 16, 2018, 05:19:30 pm »
Hello fellow students.

I am a student in NSW applying for North Sydney Boys High School [NSBHS], I'm currently in year 7. And applying for year 8, the test is within a weeks time from now (roughly), so you can understand that I'm going through a lot of pressure right now and I've been practising quite a lot. Now that's the intro, let's go to the main point.

So, I've been studying and all, but I feel kind of lost. I want to know what type of questions there might be in the MATHEMATICS portion of the test, (if questions are too specific, topics are fine as well). The test will consist of Mathematics and Writing. It would be greatly appreciated (I mean appreciated A LOT, I mean if you can help me out, you're a LEGEND!), and basically I would love it if someone experienced could help me out and by experienced I mean someone who is probably in NSBHS and knows what might come in the test, OR someone who might be in higher grades than me and possibly have done selective tests for Year 8 in NSW.

I don't mind if you're going to reply from Victoria or somewhere else (Dunno if you guys have the same curriculum as NSW), but I would much prefer experienced students from NSW to help me out here. But, any answer I can get in this thread will be appreciated. ANY information regarding the test will help, tips/tricks and MOST of all... Some topics on MATHEMATICS which might come in the test.

dazza2020

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Re: NORTH SYDNEY BOYS YEAR 8 TEST INFO/HELP/TIPS/PAST PAPERS
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 06:08:19 pm »
+1
Hey there,

I applied for Year 8 at NSBHS in 2014 and I have my HSC with them in under 2 days so i'll try keep it brief :/ From what I know the maths topics are the same ones which NSB Year 7s are currently doing, and they follow Cambridge or About Maths 7. In terms of actually getting in, they prioritise lads who have a much more all rounded focus for the younger years, if they were looking for academic kids they probably had over 1000 to pick form to start Year 7 anyways. That being said there are minimum benchmarks for all subjects you need to score in the exam (no clue what these are but they're not low to the point where if you're super gifted at maths but trash at english you'll probably get dropped), but if you reach those, unless you're truly hot stuff, the board looks at a whole range of other factors as well. Any other questions let me know, I'm probably one of the few people around here qualified to help you out :D
HSC 2016: IPT (91)
HSC 2018: English Advanced | Mathematics | Mathematics Extension 1 | Physics | Chemistry | Legal Studies

ATAR Goal: 99.3