Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 04:07:40 am

Author Topic: Challenging Psych Questions  (Read 12466 times)  Share 

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Challenging Psych Questions
« on: January 12, 2019, 10:58:49 am »
+6
As the subject suggests, this is a thread for psych questions that are challenging (/ most of the state got wrong). Don't worry if you get these wrong - have a go and see if they can help you learn and refine your responses! :)

Please put your answers in spoilers so that others can also have a go without being influenced by your response :) 
Good luck & here's the first set:
Set 1
1. Alex swims competitively. The area of the brain that would store Alex's memory of how to swim would be:
a) Hippocampus
b) Amygdala
c) Cerebellum
d) Cerebral Cortex

2. Sally was sitting around a campfire when a spider crawled onto her foot. She swiftly wacked it away and felt her heart rate increase. Later, she was rearranging wood in the fire and involuntarily jerked her arm away. She then saw that she has a blister forming on her hand.

a) What division of the nervous system was responsible for her wacking the spider away, and what type of response did she display? (2 marks)

b) Explain Sally's response when she jerked her arm away from the fire. ( 3 marks)

3. Describe what an antagonist is ( 2 marks)     [ this wasn't  directly a question BUT VCAA assumed people knew this and very few people did]

4. This is a pretty big question, and when I did this exam I considered it one of the hardest questions in there - but it doesn't require any year 12 specific knowledge! I'm going to link you the exam and please go to question 5 c iii    ( most of the state didn't get full marks for c i either and you should be able to do that one too )

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
  • Respect: +775
Re: Challenging Psych Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2019, 11:26:31 am »
+3
As the subject suggests, this is a thread for psych questions that are challenging (/ most of the state got wrong). Don't worry if you get these wrong - have a go and see if they can help you learn and refine your responses! :)

Please put your answers in spoilers so that others can also have a go without being influenced by your response :) 
Good luck & here's the first set:
Set 1
1. Alex swims competitively. The area of the brain that would store Alex's memory of how to swim would be:
a) Hippocampus
b) Amygdala
c) Cerebellum
d) Cerebral Cortex

2. Sally was sitting around a campfire when a spider crawled onto her foot. She swiftly wacked it away and felt her heart rate increase. Later, she was rearranging wood in the fire and involuntarily jerked her arm away. She then saw that she has a blister forming on her hand.

a) What division of the nervous system was responsible for her wacking the spider away, and what type of response did she display? (2 marks)

b) Explain Sally's response when she jerked her arm away from the fire. ( 3 marks)

3. Describe what an antagonist is ( 2 marks)     [ this wasn't  directly a question BUT VCAA assumed people knew this and very few people did]

4. This is a pretty big question, and when I did this exam I considered it one of the hardest questions in there - but it doesn't require any year 12 specific knowledge! I'm going to link you the exam and please go to question 5 c iii    ( most of the state didn't get full marks for c i either and you should be able to do that one too )
Haven't done psych before, so I am only very vauge for these questions, however I do think I know Question 1, so I will answer that:
question 1
a) hippocampus
Its a pretty sad effort, but oh well ;D
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > Can draw really good spiders
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 11:50:26 am »
+1
Haven't done psych before, so I am only very vauge for these questions, however I do think I know Question 1, so I will answer that:
question 1
a) hippocampus
Its a pretty sad effort, but oh well ;D

feedback on answer
The hippocampus is involved in consolidation (making the memory) of explicit memories (eg, facts you know, memories of events) and doesn't really act as a storage site.

Since 4 c iii is based on scientific reasoning rather than any particular psych knowledge you could have shot at that one, if you're interested :)

lyristis

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 12:11:04 pm »
+5
Spoiler
haven't learnt the areas of the brain, only the lobes and cortices so will skip q1
2a) somatic nervous system, sympathetic response
b) Sensory neurons in Sally's arm detected and responded to potentially damaging heat from the fire, then relayed the information to interneurons within the spinal cord, which then sent it to motor neurons that initiated a motor response to withdraw the arm.
3) haven't learnt yet, but is it something that hinders a postsynaptic neuron from firing?
4i) matched participants design, minimises participant variables (i was only taught human research methods so idk if the terms apply to animals)
iii) The P+S group performed worst out of all four groups, as displayed by a lower mood and more maze trials.The P-S, C+S, C-S groups, however, all performed similarly, indicating that the intake of caffeine, or the placebo, may mitigate the effect of stress on mood and memory. Dr Cunha was thus able to conclude that there exists a casual link between caffeine consumption and stress prevention.
idk what else to write
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 12:14:27 pm by lyristis »

lm21074

• MOTM: JAN 19
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +594
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 12:37:46 pm »
+3
I'm just beginning 1/2 psych, so I'll have a crack at 5 c iii. No idea if I've done this right!
5 c iii.
The comparison of the results of the P+S and P-S show that stress affects the memory and ability of the mice to learn the maze. The comparison of the results of the C+S and C-S groups show that the effect of stress on memory is minimal as the results of each test are similar. The differing results of P+S and C+S shows that the effect of stress on mood and memory is affected by caffeine. As the results of both of the C groups were alike to the results of the P-S group, caffeine consumption appears to prevent the effect of stress on mood and memory as the caffeine inhibits adenosine (not too sure about that) thus avoiding the impairment of memory function.

Edit - now that I've done a bit more psych:
Questions 1 & 2
1. cerebellum
2a. The Autonomic Nervous System (Sympathetic Nervous System), but the Somatic Nervous System would actually carry out the action, Fight-Flight-Freeze Response
2b. Sally's response was a reflex arc, an involuntary action. The sensory receptors would detect the sensation of the fire and a message is sent to the spinal cord via interneurons to pull her hand away from the fire. The interneurons in the spinal cord send a message to motor neurons that control the arm to move the muscle so that she is able to jerk her hand away.

Thanks for doing this, miniturtle! :)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2019, 08:38:43 pm by lm21074 »
2021: VCE
2022: Science / Arts @ Monash

chickan

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2019, 11:39:07 am »
+3
Spoiler
1) The cerebellum? Out of all these parts only learnt about the cerebellum and cerebral cortex, but remembered the cerebellum is associated with balance and fine motor movements, while the cerebral cortex also contains the motor cortex that is responsible for voluntary movements so I'm not sure

NomotivationF

• Forum Obsessive
  • Serial procrastinator
  • Respect: +93
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2019, 09:56:27 pm »
+3

Spoiler
1. Not sure, haven't learned this yet

2. a) - The peripheral nervous system, more specifically, the somatic nervous system
- She displayed a motor response
b) In this scenario, Sally has displayed a spinal reflex. The sensory receptors on Sally's hand first detected the heat from the fire and sent this sensory information via sensory neorons, to the spinal cord (CNS). Here, inter neurons processed and relayed back motor information via motor neurons to the muscles in Sally's arm, causing the muscles to contract and jerk away from the fire.

3. haven't learnt

4. (5ci) - Matched participants design, an advantage of using this design is that it controls for and minimises the effect of participant differences on the experiment.

5ciii - Wow this is a very hard question. Not sure if this is a specific topic but i had a go anyway,
- Due to the fact that there were four groups of mice, Dr Cunha was more able to draw a conclusion on the effects caffeine has on preventing the effects of chronic stress. As shown by the research, mice that consumed a placebo and placed under stress drank less of the sweetened water (Indicating lower levels of mood), and took more trials to learn the maze (indicating lower memory performance) compared to the mice that were not placed under chronic stress. The however unlike the placebo groups, the mice that consumed caffeine performed similarly on the maze task and consumed a similar level of sweetened water, indicating that the effects of chronic stress may be prevented if caffeine is consumed. Dr Unhandy intensified these results and was able to compare how the four groups performed to determine...
I don't really know where i was going and how to answer this one
Offering tutoring for Economics, Further Maths and Psychology
(Email [email protected])
(Mobile - 0435076426)

My journey through VCE

How I got a Raw 48 in Economics

2018 - Accounting [42] Further Maths [44]
2019 - English [39] Economics [48] Psychology [44] Maths methods [33]
ATAR - 97.5
2020-2023 - Ba Commerce/Science @Monash

Anxelina

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2019, 10:31:50 am »
+2
Spoiler
1. Haven't learnt it yet
2a) The Somatic Nervous System of the PNS is responsible for allowing Sally to wack the spider away. She displayed a physiological response as her Sympathetic Nervous System activated which enabled her heart rate to increase.
2b) Sally's response when she jerked her arm away from the fire is an example of a spinal reflex. Her sensory neurons detects the sensation of the heat, relaying afferent impulses towards her spinal cord. The interneurons within the spinal cord help connect and send a motor message which allows her to jerk her arm away without any involvement of the brain.
3) An antagonist is a substance that decreases the receptiveness of dendritic receptors to a particular neurotransmitter making it less likely to fire
I'll do question 4 later, I'm in class ;(

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2019, 01:01:14 pm »
+4
hey everyone, I've provided some feedback for all of the questions below. Overall you've done very well, especially considering that most of the state got these questions wrong when they were in their exams :)

Thank you to everyone who has contributed their thoughts thus far :)
general feedback
1. Cerebellum (it's a procedural memory)
2. Yep, the action itself was enabled by the somatic NS. There's a lot of different correct answers for the type of response - based on what VCAA has awarded as correct for a similar question any of the following would be accepted: voluntary response, conscious response, controlled response
3. An antagonist is basically the opposite of an agonist (if you do not understand both agonists and antagonists after covering benzodiazapines being GABA agonists (in the mental health topic) make sure you cover it on your own). An agonist mimics the action of another substance (eg when benzodiazapines binds to a receptor a similar response is initiated as if GABA had bound to the receptor); when an antagonist binds to a receptor it won't initiate the response and can block the receptor.
5ci. It is indeed matched participants and minimises participant variables is a correct answer. Note that you can use this terminology with animals (doesn't have to be humans).
5ciii.
"Due to the fact that there were four groups of mice, Dr Cunha was more able to draw a conclusion on the effects caffeine has on preventing the effects of chronic stress." -> this sentence implies that you can always draw conclusions if there are multiple groups, so I would not use it.

" As shown by the research, mice that consumed a placebo and placed under stress drank less of the sweetened water (Indicating lower levels of mood), and took more trials to learn the maze (indicating lower memory performance) compared to the mice that were not placed under chronic stress. The however unlike the placebo groups, the mice that consumed caffeine performed similarly on the maze task and consumed a similar level of sweetened water, indicating that the effects of chronic stress may be prevented if caffeine is consumed. "  Nothing you have said is wrong and the  ( ) are a nice touch, you've also accurately compared the results to draw a conclusion (effects of chronic stress may...). The problem is that this is not what the question is asking for. The question wants you to explain why the 4 groups were necessary to draw a conclusion and how this was done. Definitely an unusual question and your answer would be great for a more "normal" question.

"The comparison of the results of the P+S and P-S show that stress affects the memory and ability of the mice to learn the maze. The comparison of the results of the C+S and C-S groups show that the effect of stress on memory is minimal when caffeine is present as the results of each test are similar. The differing results of P+S and C+S shows that the effect of stress on mood and memory is affected by caffeine. " This is a good approach but it wouldn't get full marks. Comparison of the placebo groups and the caffeine groups is the way to go, but you there's more you should include. The P+S & P-S results do show that, and they also answer  "what does normal maze learning look like? what does normal sweetened water drinking look like?"). In general, if you are explaining the purpose of a control group consider that it provides a baseline.

"As the results of both of the C groups were alike to the results of the P-S group, caffeine consumption appears to prevent the effect of stress on mood and memory as the caffeine inhibits adenosine (not too sure about that) thus avoiding the impairment of memory function. "   We know this is a guess, and it's not in the study design to know the relationship between adenosine and caffeine - so don't state this as though it's not a guess. Rather than "as" consider "which suggests that" or similar wording.

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2020, 10:33:08 am »
+6
The science games have begun

As such, it is time for a freshly baked batch of challenging questions!
If you want to score points for the science games, you can do so by answering questions in (and after) this post here. Feel free to answer the question before this, however you won’t earn science games points (but you will still get fantastic revision/learning out of it)
These challenging questions are past VCAA exam questions on which 50% of the state didn’t get full marks (for multiple choice questions) or for which the average mark is less than half of the full available marks (for short answer questions). Please note that while these questions are from VCE study designs, since there is significant overlap between science across the different states, most of these questions should be able to be answered by those from other states.
This thread will be updated weekly with a new batch of 5 Multiple Choice questions and 10 Marks worth of Short Answer questions.
Here is your first batch:

Multiple Choice
Question 1
Lu-Van’s husband of 40 years died following a long illness. Lu-Van felt stressed, had difficulty sleeping, struggled
to go shopping on her own and sometimes forgot to pay her bills, which affected her levels of anxiety and
independence. Although her children would visit regularly, she felt embarrassed to tell them that she was not coping
because she thought they would view this as a mental weakness.

Which one of the following is a psychological risk factor that perpetuated Lu-Van’s anxiety?
A.   stigma
B.   insomnia
C.   impaired memory
D.   loss of a significant relationship

Question 2
A researcher was investigating the effects of a gamma-amino butyric acid (GABA) agonist in the treatment of a specific phobia. Group A, the experimental group, received the GABA agonist. Group B, the control group, received a placebo. Concerned about experimenter bias, the researcher used a double-blind procedure with the help of a research assistant who worked directly with the participants.

Which one of the following identifies the double-blind procedure used in this investigation?
A.   Only the researcher knew who would receive the placebo.
B.   Only the research assistant knew who would receive the GABA agonist.
C.   Only the researcher and the control group knew who would receive the placebo.
D.   Only the researcher and the research assistant knew who was in the experimental group and the control group.

Question 3
Phil slept for only four hours on the night he lost his new running shoes. He was worried about how he would participate in the race without them. He continued to have only four hours of sleep each night leading up to the race

According to the restoration theory of sleep, on the day of the race Phil may have had
A.   less energy due to limited amounts of REM sleep.
B.   difficulty focusing due to limited amounts of NREM sleep.
C.   a weakened immune system due to limited amounts of NREM sleep.
D.   inadequate restoration of hormone levels due to limited amounts of REM sleep

Question 4
Although the results seemed consistent with Loftus’s previous research, the psychologist noted that due to lack of space, participants in Group B viewed the photographs in the same room where they had watched the video during Stage 1, while participants in Group A viewed the photographs in a different room.

In what way might the room in which the participants were tested have confounded the interpretation of the results?
A.   The results could potentially be attributed to context rather than to type of questioning.
B.   Context could have acted as an extraneous variable that compromised the reliability of the results.
C.   The use of different rooms for testing meant that the results could not be generalised to the population.
D.   The participants in Group A were more likely to identify the robber accurately due to the presence of retrieval cues.

Question 5
Hayley has learnt to choose which parent she should ask to borrow the family car from depending on which parent is in a better mood. What is Hayley’s behaviour an example of ?
A.   response cost
B.   stimulus generalisation
C.   negative reinforcement
D.   stimulus discrimination

Short Answer
Question 1
Watson and Rayner classically conditioned 11-month-old ‘Little Albert’ to produce an emotional response to a white rat by pairing a loud noise with the presentation of a white rat.
During conditioning, Albert’s response to the white rat was to startle and breathe heavily. After conditioning, he trembled and cried in fear every time he saw a white rat. He also generalised this emotional response to other white furry objects, including a rabbit and a dog.
Albert left the experiment still demonstrating an emotional response to white furry objects.

Using the language of classical conditioning, suggest how Watson and Rayner could have extinguished Little Albert’s conditioned emotional response. (2 marks)
Question 2
Serena was sitting in the garden and playing when she felt something crawl onto her leg. She saw that it was a bee and brushed it away. Shortly after, she involuntarily kicked out her leg and then felt a stinging sensation that made her scream loudly in pain. She realised that she had been stung by a bee

Following the bee sting, Serena showed a fear response any time she saw a bee.

Serena developed a phobia of bees and refused to go into the garden.    

a)   Identify the process of operant conditioning that best accounts for why Serena’s phobia has been perpetuated (1 mark)
b)   Explain how systematic desensitisation could be used to help Serena overcome her phobia. (4 marks)
Question 3
For her VCE Psychology practical investigation, Jaime decided to investigate the effect of maintenance rehearsal versus elaborative rehearsal on the ability to recall 20 words. The following are extracts from her scientific poster

In terms of the factors that influence people’s ability to remember information, what explanation could Jaime provide to account for the elaborative rehearsal condition producing better recall than the maintenance rehearsal condition? (3 marks)

When Answering your questions, please write your answer inside of a spoiler like this:
question 1
Spoiler
This is my answer
The reason behind this is just so that other users who are having a go at answering these questions don’t accidentally see what others have put down and can have a go at it themselves.
I would also like to encourage everyone to have a go at answering these questions without looking at other user’s responses – this will help develop your ability to really critically think about a question independently. Remember, there is no harm in getting something wrong and making a mistake is an opportunity to learn!
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 09:01:15 pm by Erutepa »
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2020, 06:18:49 pm »
+4
I'll have a go at some of the questions! Even though I've already done psych, I miss it a lot and love answering questions.
(Also no hate if I get any wrong, I'm a bit rusty :P)

MCQs
1. C. impaired memory
2. A. Only the researcher knew who would receive the placebo.
3. D. Inadequate restoration of hormone levels due to limited amounts of REM sleep
4. A. The results could potentially be attributed to context rather than to type of questioning.
5. D. Stimulus discrimination

SA
1. Watson and Rayner could have used a process known as counter-conditioning through associating the white rat (conditioned stimulus) with something positive such as sweets (unconditioned stimulus) to slowly elicit a positive response from Little Albert (unconditioned response).
CS (white rat) + UCS (sweets)  ---> UCR (positive response)
CS (white rat) ---> UCR (positive response)
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2020, 09:15:14 pm »
+2
3. D. Inadequate restoration of hormone levels due to limited amounts of REM sleep
Just a quick correction here
remembering REM restores psychological functions and NREM restores physiological aspects, the restoration of hormone levels would be more considered a role of NREM sleep. The correct answer would be C, as the immune system is a physiological aspect and is thus restored by NREM.

I'll have a go at some of the questions! Even though I've already done psych, I miss it a lot and love answering questions.
 I'm a bit rusty :P
It is suprising how quickly content can fade away if you don't use it - I certainly never thought I would forget anything in the bio course, but have well and truley been proved wrong haha.
Good work on getting everything else correct though!
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point

Ionic Doc

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +212
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2020, 10:36:09 pm »
+2
It is suprising how quickly content can fade away if you don't use it - I certainly never thought I would forget anything in the bio course, but have well and truley been proved wrong haha.

Long term depression in action.  ;)
 (I'm pretty sure that's LTD lol) 
2019/2020 - Psychology | Biology | Chemistry | Methods | Further | English
2021 - Science @ Melbourne University

Erutepa

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Forum Leader
  • evenin'
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2020, 09:18:56 am »
+3
Good work everyone on having a go at the challanging questions so far!!!
As per my promise above to update this weekly, here are some more questions to answer:

Multiple Choice
Question 1
Dr Williams wanted to perform a partial replication of JB Watson’s ‘Little Albert’ experiment using a young monkey instead of a human infant. Similarly to Watson’s experiment, an iron bar was struck behind the monkey’s back each time a white rat was presented. Soon the monkey showed fear of the rat even when the bar was not struck.
Later in the research, Dr Williams struck the iron bar behind the monkey’s back when the monkey was presented with a furry Santa Claus mask. Only after a number of pairings did the monkey show fear of the mask. The monkey’s fear of the mask is an example of
A) a conditioned response.
B) stimulus generalisation.
C) stimulus discrimination.
D) an unconditioned response.
Question 2
Phoebe is eight years old and loves playing cricket. She really admires the Australian female cricket captain, who has blonde hair, like Phoebe, and often hits balls over the fence for six runs. She tells her father, ‘I’m going to be like her one day and play for Australia and be on TV like she is’.
The stage of observational learning that most applies to Phoebe choosing the female captain as the model for her behaviour is
A) attention.
B) retention.
C) Motivation.
D) Reproduction.
Question 3
Vicki wanted to teach her dog, Misha, to sit on command. When fi rst teaching Misha, Vicki would say ‘sit’ and then would give Misha a pat and a dog biscuit every time Misha sat on command. After a number of training sessions, Vicki noticed that Misha began to salivate whenever she said ‘sit’.
That Misha learnt to sit on Vicki’s command is a result of
A) operant conditioning with partial reinforcement.
B) classical conditioning with partial reinforcement.
C) operant conditioning with continuous reinforcement.
D) classical conditioning with continuous reinforcement.
Question 4
Dr Lewis is treating John, whose memory has declined signifi cantly over the past 12 months.
Dr Lewis is not able to make a conclusive diagnosis of Alzheimer’s disease because
A) John’s memory for semantic information is still good.
B) Alzheimer’s disease can only be confi rmed via an autopsy.
C) John is only 45 years old and Alzheimer’s disease occurs only in elderly people.
D) John is still able to do everyday activities, such as dressing, cooking and cleaning his house.
Question 5
Body temperature can be used to study sleep because it
A) is not linked to alertness.
B) follows a regular daily cycle.
C) always reaches its lowest level during REM sleep.
D) is higher during sleep than in normal waking consciousness
Short Answer
Question 1
As a child, David would become frightened when he saw his mother Tracy scream and run away every time she saw a cockroach. Tracy always appeared relieved when she was no longer near the cockroach. David acquired the same phobia of cockroaches and also screamed and ran away whenever he saw a cockroach.
a) Outline how attention in observational learning led to David developing a phobia of cockroaches. (2 marks)
b) As an adult, David decided to seek professional help to manage anxiety associated with his phobia of cockroaches. David’s psychologist recommended using breathing retraining.
How could context-dependent cues help David remember his psychologist’s breathing retraining instructions? (2 marks)
c)  Explain how one evidence-based social intervention could be used to further assist David in managing his specific phobia of cockroaches.(3 marks)
Question 2
In a replication of Ivan Pavlov’s classical conditioning experiment, researchers measured the salivation response of 10 dogs over multiple trials. In Stage A, the researchers presented the dogs with the sound of a buzzer, followed by food. In Stages B, C and D, the researchers presented the sound of the buzzer alone to the same group of 10 dogs, employing a repeated measures experimental design.
What is an advantage of using this experimental design? (1 mark)
Question 3
Compare how REM and NREM sleep would differ in a hypnogram of a healthy adolescent and a hypnogram of an elderly person.(2 marks)
Qualifications
 > Have counted to 227
 > 2 Poet points
 > 6.5 insanipi points
 > 1 Bri MT point

K.Smithy

• QLD MVP - 2019
  • QCE Moderator
  • Forum Obsessive
  • "We are the cosmos made conscious." B.C. (she/her)
  • Respect: +396
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2020, 10:08:05 am »
+3
Multiple Choice
Question 1: A
Question 2: C
Question 3: D
Question 4: A
Question 5: C

Short Answer
Question 1
a) Outline how attention in observational learning led to David developing a phobia of cockroaches. (2 marks)
Observational learning describes learning that is a result of observing others. David's mother (who, it can be assumed, that he has a good relationship with, thus making her behaviour more influential) made her phobia regarding cockroaches very apparent, which caught David's attention. As he noticed his mother reacting negatively to cockroaches, they became associated with negativity.

b) As an adult, David decided to seek professional help to manage anxiety associated with his phobia of cockroaches. David’s psychologist recommended using breathing retraining.
How could context-dependent cues help David remember his psychologist’s breathing retraining instructions? (2 marks)
(honestly don't know the answer, but a teacher at my school always says "If you're stressed, just breathe in Jesus" ;D, so I think David just needs to breathe in Jesus for a second)
My guess is that, the cue is cockroaches, and overtime he sees a cockroach and begins to panic he will recall his psychologist's breathing retraining instructions... it has something to do with the amygdala (I think)

c)  Explain how one evidence-based social intervention could be used to further assist David in managing his specific phobia of cockroaches.(3 marks)
 :o  :o  :o

Question 2
What is an advantage of using this experimental design? (1 mark)
Using repeated measures allows experimenters to asses whether or not the buzzer has become and conditioned stimulus, and produces a conditioned response.
(random side note: wouldn't it be a better experimental design if the experiments used the matched participant design and had an experimental group and a control group, or, changed the orders of the stages? Like in stage A, there should be the unconditioned stimulus, but no food. And then in stage B, it should be unconditioned stimulus and food, and then in stage C, conditioned (potentially) stimulus and no food - in order to see if there was a conditioned response... Idk, just my thoughts ;D)

Question 3
Compare how REM and NREM sleep would differ in a hypnogram of a healthy adolescent and a hypnogram of an elderly person.(2 marks)
lol, I should remember this from unit 1... but I don't. Something about you sleep less when you're older, do you also have less REM sleep when you are older? No clue...

Imma be shocked if I get any right, I really need to do some psych revision... haven't looked at memory and learning in 2 months, whoops.
QCE 2020: Physics (92) || Psychology (96) || Biology (93) || Methods (79) || English (98) || SOR (91)
ATAR: 98.40
2021-2024: Bachelor of Advanced Science (Honours) @ UQ

Uni Journal ; U3 Bio ; U3 Psych ; U3 Physics