Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 07:52:01 pm

Author Topic: Is it advisable to do 10 units?  (Read 19654 times)

Abbeegale

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Is it advisable to do 10 units?
« on: February 06, 2017, 06:02:41 pm »
I'm thinking of dropping a subject, which would leave me to 10 units. What's it like? Is it good? I need advice from those who did 10 units in year 12, or any advise from others! Thanks!

diesxel

• Forum Regular
  • sow the seeds, reap the rewards ❊
  • Respect: +5
Re: Is it advisable to do 10 units?
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2017, 06:14:00 pm »
+6
I'm not a lecturer or moderator or anything, but as a fellow student, the pros and cons of doing 10 units (as compared to 11+ units) are as follows (imo):

Pros:
Doing 10  units means you have more free/study periods at school, which you can utilise to concentrate and study for all your subjects, however, some students end up bludging or wasting these periods, so it's a matter of self control. You're also able to put in all your efforts into 10 units, rather than putting energy and hard work into more than 10 units, some of which wont even end up counting for your final atar

Cons:
You have no back up plan, so if one of your subjects goes "wrong", e.g you stuff up an asssessment, or something happens that causes you to not perform as well as you had planned, you can always rely on your other units instead, which is why doing 10 units is considered risky

Personally I do 10 units because I'm very invested and fairly confident in the subjects I have, and I enjoy them a lot. I also use my frees to my advantage to revise or do homework as much as possible, so that's helpful because I have more free time to revise at home!

But yeah, that's my 2 cents  :D
HSC 2017 ATAR 97.25 English Advanced (92)- Modern History (89) - Business Studies (93) - Biology (96) - English Extension 1 (47/50) - English Extension 2

Don't stop when you're tired, stop when you're done.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2017, 06:31:51 pm »
+2
Thanks diesxel for such an awesome response ;D

Pretty much everything I would say has been said above - Extra units is a nice fall back but dropping to 10 units is a good idea if you are struggling with the workload. I'd personally say that if you are managing decently with 12 units, keep them, because that extra time might not be as useful as you think. A lot of people who drop the units don't end up investing that time sensibly in their other subjects. So I suppose my advice would be, if you've ever thought, "Gosh I wish I had time to do _________ for this other subject, but I don't possibly have time," then maybe consider dropping! If not then maybe try and stick it out ;D

The amount of units you do is no indicator of success either. I did 12 units and got 99.80, our English lecturer (same school, similar subjects) did 10 units and got 99.85; hard work will carry you through either way ;D

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2017, 02:17:47 am »
I'm thinking of dropping a subject, which would leave me to 10 units. What's it like? Is it good? I need advice from those who did 10 units in year 12, or any advise from others! Thanks!

If the subject that you are considering dropping is a subject that you don't like then I think you are definitely best getting rid of the dead weight. If you're considering dropping purely for the potential benefits of 10 units and free time, then the above comments will help as guidance. But if the subject you are considering dropping is something that demotivates you, you spend more time on then probably is due, and you don't look forward to it at all, then it's best you remove it from your study load simply for the purpose of leaving yourself with enjoyable things to study! It's a deadweight if you don't like it.

If you do like it, and you're just trying to be strategic...refer to the above ;)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

bowiemily

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • So it goes.
  • Respect: +133
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2017, 09:33:30 am »

Hey Abbeegale,
As Jamon said before, I did do 10 units and I still did well in my HSC. The reason that I dropped down to ten was that the Extension subjects at my school were largely self driven, and I didn't feel as if I would be capable of doing this on top of my current workload. I also dropped a two unit subject at the end of year eleven because I found myself incredibly bored in the classes, and that translated to how much work I did at home for the subject (little to none). So, considering it had a major work, it was best to drop it for me. So these are some things that may relate to your own decision.
You may think about scaling when deciding to drop to ten units, I know it was on my mind. In the end though, with ten units I was able to try my absolute hardest in the subjects I did have. I don't regret doing ten units at all.
Hope this helps!
Currently offering tutoring, send me a PM or email me at [email protected]
AdvEng: 100 (1st in State) - ExtEng: 49/50 - EarthEnviroScience: 95/100 (7th in State) - Modern History: 95/100 - Legal Studies: 96/100 Studies of Religion: 47/50

ATAR: 99.85
Studying Arts/Law at Sydney University

Abbeegale

• Adventurer
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 05:46:55 pm »
Thank you guys so much! Really helped a lot with your advice!

Mary_a

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 08:35:18 pm »
+2
Hey,

These posts were really helpful!! I also had the same dilemma about dropping to 10 units.
In Prelim I studied:
Economics
Ad. English
Ext.1 English
Mathematics
Ext.1 Maths
Legal Studies

Towards the end of year 11 my anxiety became really severe and it was recommended I drop a course so I dropped extension maths and picked up Extension 2 English. I honestly really hated economics (my teacher was terrible) but I stuck with it for an entire term because I was worried about not having a back up subject. I found that I had so much work and study that my economics class was a complete waste of time so I dropped it and am now on 10 units. I'm doing really well in all my units, so I guess if you decide on ten units and are really invested in them, then it can really help with extra study time to focus on your carefully selected subjects.

Mary x
Hey!
I did the HSC last year (2017) and my 10 units were English Advanced, English Extension 1, English Extension 2, Legal Studies, Maths and Studies of Religion 2. I achieved my ATAR aim of over 90!

I loved tutoring and running essay writing workshops (privately and at InFlow Education) so much that I decided to study a Bachelor of Secondary Education, majoring in English and minoring in Maths!

If you're thinking about tutoring, let me know x

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2017, 08:44:11 pm »
Hey,

These posts were really helpful!! I also had the same dilemma about dropping to 10 units.
In Prelim I studied:
Economics
Ad. English
Ext.1 English
Mathematics
Ext.1 Maths
Legal Studies

Towards the end of year 11 my anxiety became really severe and it was recommended I drop a course so I dropped extension maths and picked up Extension 2 English. I honestly really hated economics (my teacher was terrible) but I stuck with it for an entire term because I was worried about not having a back up subject. I found that I had so much work and study that my economics class was a complete waste of time so I dropped it and am now on 10 units. I'm doing really well in all my units, so I guess if you decide on ten units and are really invested in them, then it can really help with extra study time to focus on your carefully selected subjects.

Mary x

Thanks so much for sharing that Mary! I think you've made some really good choices there and I am sure they will be beneficial for you throughout the year! ;D

Mary_a

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2017, 08:55:00 pm »
Thanks so much for sharing that Mary! I think you've made some really good choices there and I am sure they will be beneficial for you throughout the year! ;D

Thanks Jamon! I really appreciate it
Hey!
I did the HSC last year (2017) and my 10 units were English Advanced, English Extension 1, English Extension 2, Legal Studies, Maths and Studies of Religion 2. I achieved my ATAR aim of over 90!

I loved tutoring and running essay writing workshops (privately and at InFlow Education) so much that I decided to study a Bachelor of Secondary Education, majoring in English and minoring in Maths!

If you're thinking about tutoring, let me know x

SRH923

« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2017, 08:47:20 pm »
May be risky however if you are strong in the 10 units and enjoy them, do 10!

adibh092

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2017, 07:49:00 pm »
I am also facing a similar problem. Currently, I am doing 13 Units, but I want to drop 3 units, of which I am considering Business Studies and Extension 1 Maths. Right now, in Preliminary, I am doing:

Extension 1 Maths
Advanced English
Physics
Chemistry
Business Studies
Economics

I am already a major procrastinator, but I find myself being unable to cope with the workload expected of us. I was hoping to break it to my dad and my teacher, but I am unsure on how to approach them. Could anyone please give any tips?

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2017, 08:21:21 pm »
+3
I am also facing a similar problem. Currently, I am doing 13 Units, but I want to drop 3 units, of which I am considering Business Studies and Extension 1 Maths. Right now, in Preliminary, I am doing:

Extension 1 Maths
Advanced English
Physics
Chemistry
Business Studies
Economics

I am already a major procrastinator, but I find myself being unable to cope with the workload expected of us. I was hoping to break it to my dad and my teacher, but I am unsure on how to approach them. Could anyone please give any tips?

your dad and your teacher will be a lot more chill than you expect when you approach them about dropping subjects, i promise. they'll totally understand why you're dropping it. when approaching them, tell them upfront that you're considering dropping, and give them your reasons.

i found that dropping 3u maths was the best decision for me as it took up so much of my time and i was so unmotivated to actually study for exams. also, if you already know the subjects you want to drop, drop them. they'll probably get worse if you continue. 10 units can be risky, but if you know you will do well in those units, you should be good :)

hope this helps!
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

katie,rinos

• Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1151
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2017, 07:52:37 am »
+1
Extension 1 Maths
Advanced English
Physics
Chemistry
Business Studies
Economics
Hey,
I think that you should probably just go up to them and tell them why you want to drop those subjects. Your dad and your teacher should be fine with you wanting to drop these subjects-they want you to go well and not be really stressed out. I do 13 units (Year 12) and it is a huge amount of work (and some of my subjects aren't too content heavy). I dropped down from 2 unit to general maths at the start of this year and my parent's and teachers were ok with it-they understood why I had wanted to drop down, and I started to get a lot better marks. Dropping these 3 units would give you heaps more time to work on your other subjects and you will probably have study periods.
I would say to work on the procrastination-but i'm a huge procrastinator myself, so that would be pretty hypocritical.
Hope this helps :)
Class of 2017 (Year 12): Advanced English, General Maths, Legal Studies, Music 1, Ancient History, History Extension, Hospitality
2018-2022: B Music/B Education (Secondary) [UNSW]

Wales

• MOTM: JUN 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +91
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2017, 09:47:43 am »
+1

Extension 1 Maths
Advanced English
Physics
Chemistry
Business Studies
Economics

There is no shame in dropping a subject! I did prelim Physics and dropped it after. You just need to tell him your genuine reasons and say how it'll give you more time to focus. Push that you'll get a higher atar as you'll get more study time if you need to but hopefully he'll understand :)

Both your teacher and dad will definitely understand. As long as you are genuine about it.

Heavy Things :(

bigro27

• Adventurer
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2017, 12:03:19 pm »
To be honest, I preferred 10 units over 12 because of the amount of time it frees up. Like someone said earlier though, if know your prone to procrastinate then maybe 10 units isn't the best idea. At the end of the day it's up to you
HSC 2018 - Economics  Business Studies   English Advanced   Mathematics   Studies of Religion II - ATAR AIM: 99+