Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:27:27 pm

Author Topic: Henry Lawson Themes  (Read 2944 times)  Share 

alex.bahn

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Henry Lawson Themes
« on: April 26, 2020, 06:04:25 pm »
Hi everyone,
Having some trouble extracting themes from my texts, I'm currently writing a practise essay on Henry Lawson's short stories 'The Union Buries It's Dead' and 'Shooting the Moon'

Any tips?

Thanks,
Alex

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
Re: Henry Lawson Themes
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 11:06:55 am »
+1
Hi everyone,
Having some trouble extracting themes from my texts, I'm currently writing a practise essay on Henry Lawson's short stories 'The Union Buries It's Dead' and 'Shooting the Moon'

Any tips?

Thanks,
Alex

Hey, alex.bahn!

Welcome to the forums  ;D Some of the key themes you could look at include class, connection, gender, inequality, power/authority, stereotypes and status. Relationships, more specifically mateship or community, is a particularly good one for Lawson's short stories  :D Hopefully that gives you some ideas. What are you finding challenging with the task?

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

alex.bahn

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2020, 08:38:44 pm »
Hi Angelina,
I was mainly struggling with applying themes to my body paragraphs in how they could introuduce and support my textual evidence. What do you find works with integrating themes into body paragraphs/arguements?

Thanks,
Alex

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 11:06:09 pm »
Hi Angelina,
I was mainly struggling with applying themes to my body paragraphs in how they could introuduce and support my textual evidence. What do you find works with integrating themes into body paragraphs/arguements?

Thanks,
Alex

Hey again!

I would try and group your textual evidence under those themes and formulate your arguments around that. Rather than trying to wedge the themes into the techniques, see if you can place the techniques under the themes instead. Could you perhaps give me an example of some that you've found? It might help me illustrate this better!

Angelina  ;D
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

alex.bahn

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2020, 05:26:16 pm »
+1
Hi Angelina,
That helps heaps! Thank you  :)

I can't think of any specific examples currently, I'll begin to organise my quotes into themes and see if I come back with anything more.

Many Thanks,
Alex