Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 16, 2024, 06:05:56 pm

Author Topic: Transferring from science to biomedicine Monash  (Read 3944 times)  Share 

polomolo2405

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
Transferring from science to biomedicine Monash
« on: February 15, 2017, 04:32:07 pm »
Hi guys,

So I'm in my final year of high school and was just wondering whether it'd be possible to transfer from science to biomedicine at monash university? I couldn't apply directly to biomedicine since I dropped methods this year (hated it!)
When will I be able to transfer to the course? (which semester) and what are the requirements?

I tried to look it up by myself but it got super confusing, thank you to all those who reply!  :)

Mod (J41): Moved to Monash board. :)
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 04:52:27 pm by Joseph41 »
2016 : Biology, Indonesian SL

2017: English, Geography, Japanese SL, Chemistry, Further maths

2018: Double degree bachelor of science and arts, Monash university

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +2103
Re: Transferring from science to biomedicine Monash
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2017, 04:40:06 pm »
Hi guys,

So I'm in my final year of high school and was just wondering whether it'd be possible to transfer from science to biomedicine at monash university? I couldn't apply directly to biomedicine since I dropped methods this year (hated it!)
When will I be able to transfer to the course? (which semester) and what are the requirements?

I tried to look it up by myself but it got super confusing, thank you to all those who reply!  :)
yes an internal transfer is possible (Although there aren't any guaranteed transfers) . However transfers are only accepted yearly so no mid year transfers. Also you still need to meet the course prerequisites which is a 25+ in methods/spec/physics. For this you might be able to do some units during uni which cover those prerequisites (you should check with Monash for this)
http://www.med.monash.edu.au/sobs/teaching/current/internal-transfers.html

EDIT: Also if you are thinking about grad med at monash through the biomed pathway. You won't be eligible (for the 50 places) if you start in a science degree. However you will still be eligible for something like 25 places for biomed/sci/pharmacy etc students
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 04:50:07 pm by Sine »

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2017, 06:30:55 pm »
EDIT: Also if you are thinking about grad med at monash through the biomed pathway. You won't be eligible (for the 50 places) if you start in a science degree. However you will still be eligible for something like 25 places for biomed/sci/pharmacy etc students

Slight correction: you can, IF you start again from first year. So, be careful of taking subjects prohibited with biomedical units (particularly BIO1011/1022)

Sine

• Werewolf
  • National Moderator
  • Respect: +2103
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2017, 10:16:15 pm »
Slight correction: you can, IF you start again from first year. So, be careful of taking subjects prohibited with biomedical units (particularly BIO1011/1022)
hmm not sure on this point. You better check it out with Monash to get an official take on it.

Students who commenced in the Bachelor of Biomedical Science (including double degrees) from 2014, will be eligible to apply via this pathway.
~ Monash Uni

keltingmeith

• Honorary Moderator
  • he/him - they is also fine
  • Respect: +1292
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2017, 10:24:05 pm »
hmm not sure on this point. You better check it out with Monash to get an official take on it.

It was in my ambassador training - if it's not true, then that's because the University changed its policy in the last few months.