Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 07:14:47 pm

Author Topic: am I revising correctly?  (Read 3691 times)

dcesaona

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +24
am I revising correctly?
« on: July 25, 2018, 08:51:16 pm »
Essentially, unlike all of my other english modules, for discovery I don't use tables (technique, example, analysis, link). Instead, I have a paragraph that could be used in an essay but has freedom to be shifted and adapted - I have 6 of these for my prescribed text. Just to make sure that any paragraph can be pulled from my mind to use in an essay, so I can cover all aspects of discovery. For my related, I only have two of these but I think they work quite well for any area of discovery anyway.

Am I giving myself more work than if I were to just memorise an essay? Because essentially I'm learning 6 pages worth of notes. Just need some clarification that what I'm doing isn't detrimental or a waste of time ;) Is it obvious that I always doubt myself yet?
2018 HSC

Lumenoria

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +85
am I revising correctly?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 09:48:09 pm »
+4
I don't think there's a "one size fits all" approach when it comes to studying. If you think the content that you've prepared is versatile enough for any question, then so be it. If you have time, perhaps test your ability to adapt under timed conditions because if your knowledge of the concept is solid, then it's really just a matter of exam technique. Personally, I don't do the typical quote table either - I just rely on memorising quotes that I feel will be pertinent to any concept at hand. I've done so many practice runs of Paper 1 that I've basically got everything in my head. Because my prescribed texts are short (Robert Frost), I basically have the whole poem memorised so that I can pull out any textual evidence necessary at any given time. If you're confident about your ability, then don't doubt it. Just make sure you don't prioritise your memorised material over answering the question at hand if the worst case scenario comes to fruition - which I feel is the obvious catch with memorising responses verbatim. This can definitely be detrimental and I have seen people cling onto their memorised material as a safety net in these scenarios, then coming out with a less than ideal mark. Don't be too complacent, and you'll be good. :)
HSC 2018 (ATAR 96.35) - English Advanced (96) | Mathematics General (87) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (89) | Industrial Technology (94)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: am I revising correctly?
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2018, 01:15:57 am »
+1
Hey hey dcesaona! I love Lumenoria's answer above, and want to emphasise something she mentioned - Practice papers. She's done enough of them to be comfortable with her level of knowledge. This is what you should do, test your knowledge against questions. If you can answer them properly, golden! If not, you need to make sure your study method is arming you with the quotes/techniques/ideas you need to really respond to the variety of questions properly ;D

dcesaona

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +24
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 06:11:45 pm »
+1
I don't think there's a "one size fits all" approach when it comes to studying. If you think the content that you've prepared is versatile enough for any question, then so be it. If you have time, perhaps test your ability to adapt under timed conditions because if your knowledge of the concept is solid, then it's really just a matter of exam technique. Personally, I don't do the typical quote table either - I just rely on memorising quotes that I feel will be pertinent to any concept at hand. I've done so many practice runs of Paper 1 that I've basically got everything in my head. Because my prescribed texts are short (Robert Frost), I basically have the whole poem memorised so that I can pull out any textual evidence necessary at any given time. If you're confident about your ability, then don't doubt it. Just make sure you don't prioritise your memorised material over answering the question at hand if the worst case scenario comes to fruition - which I feel is the obvious catch with memorising responses verbatim. This can definitely be detrimental and I have seen people cling onto their memorised material as a safety net in these scenarios, then coming out with a less than ideal mark. Don't be too complacent, and you'll be good. :)

oh wow okay, so you only memorise your quotes and nothing else? 

but yeah I get what you're saying, people rely on memorised content so much that they just regurgitate it onto the paper because they're scared of changing it up. My notes aren't exactly 'set' in a paragraph if you know what I mean. It's more like an 'organised bunch of quotes, analysis and aspects of discovery' haha. After reading up on other people's ways of studying for AOS, plus yours, I came to the conclusion that I'm just going to memorise my quotes and analysis and just practice every possible question. I DO NOT want to memorise an essay. The idea makes me shudder. Too much stress, especially on the day. Better to be free with your quotes and analysis I reckon !  :)

2018 HSC

Lumenoria

• MOTM: JUN 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +85
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2018, 05:27:52 pm »

oh wow okay, so you only memorise your quotes and nothing else? 

but yeah I get what you're saying, people rely on memorised content so much that they just regurgitate it onto the paper because they're scared of changing it up. My notes aren't exactly 'set' in a paragraph if you know what I mean. It's more like an 'organised bunch of quotes, analysis and aspects of discovery' haha. After reading up on other people's ways of studying for AOS, plus yours, I came to the conclusion that I'm just going to memorise my quotes and analysis and just practice every possible question. I DO NOT want to memorise an essay. The idea makes me shudder. Too much stress, especially on the day. Better to be free with your quotes and analysis I reckon !  :)

Haha yup! I've studied them so comprehensively that the analysis flows out straight away as soon as I think of the quote, without even being conscious of it.

Legit same. I've ditched the memorising essay approach and it's so much more freeing on the mind. Memorising is way too risky imo, I understand why people do it but I think it's really narrowing especially when you consider the crazy amount of time taken to memorise a response verbatim. That shit takes forever, and it ends up only being suited for a single question, facilitating potential anxiety attacks if that question is not assessed which may compromise the integrity of the resultant essay. I also feel like adapting a prepared essay to a question is another burden on top of the exam in general that could be completely negated if you just have a shit ton of quotes that are versatile. I do get that is the purpose of a general essay, but still it's scary hahaha. I feel like the time spent memorising an essay is much better invested in writing heaps of practise essays on the spot and training yourself to adapt your quotes to different questions. Just my personal take though.
HSC 2018 (ATAR 96.35) - English Advanced (96) | Mathematics General (87) | Legal Studies (94) | Economics (89) | Industrial Technology (94)