Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 09:08:40 pm

Author Topic: UCAT prep!!  (Read 1577 times)

Failingvce

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +14
UCAT prep!!
« on: July 09, 2020, 05:43:40 pm »
so I have my UCAT on the 17th of July and I have BARELY made a dent on my preparation. is it possible for me to study REALLY hard in 6 days and still get a decent score- like in the low to mid 80th percentile? It's probably impossible at this rate but I really need some kind of reassurance. also what areas should I target? I already know that quantitative reasoning and speed is the biggest issue for me but in this limited time frame, is there anything else I can do to maximise my marks?
2020 subjects:
3/4 English - 3/4 Methods- 3/4 chemistry- 3/4 Biology- 3/4 psychology

Coolgalbornin03Lo

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +132
Re: UCAT prep!!
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2020, 06:25:36 pm »
so I have my UCAT on the 17th of July and I have BARELY made a dent on my preparation. is it possible for me to study REALLY hard in 6 days and still get a decent score- like in the low to mid 80th percentile? It's probably impossible at this rate but I really need some kind of reassurance. also what areas should I target? I already know that quantitative reasoning and speed is the biggest issue for me but in this limited time frame, is there anything else I can do to maximise my marks?

I have mine in 3 weeks and am in a similar(ish position) Any advice appreciated!

But personally I think in the next six days if you even just do some questions from the official UCAT website you can at least not be suprised when you take it. You’ll have seen question types and maybe how to work them out. We can’t tell you whether you’ll get 80th percentile because we don’t know you BUT you could be someone who has these skills naturally so it’s not impossible! Just get on those questions and guides a soon as possible!

P.S probably don’t listen to my advice because I’m on my way to failing the UCAT in a few weeks.
My avatar sums up life.
“I’m free to be the greatest one alive” ~ Sia
╔══════════════════════════════╗
2020: English | Methods | Biology | Chemistry |              Psychology | ATAR: 0
╚══════════════════════════════╝

Failingvce

• Forum Regular
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 06:39:50 pm »
I have mine in 3 weeks and am in a similar(ish position) Any advice appreciated!

But personally I think in the next six days if you even just do some questions from the official UCAT website you can at least not be suprised when you take it. You’ll have seen question types and maybe how to work them out. We can’t tell you whether you’ll get 80th percentile because we don’t know you BUT you could be someone who has these skills naturally so it’s not impossible! Just get on those questions and guides a soon as possible!

P.S probably don’t listen to my advice because I’m on my way to failing the UCAT in a few weeks.

don't worry! I'm in the same position and I'll probably fail mine too. I'm kicking myself for not preparing early on but I feel like my chances of med are already destroyed. And yes I plan on practicing heaps and maybe sitting a few trial exams on medify to see what percentile I'm looking at. And any advice is welcome so thank you for the suggestions and good luck to you!
2020 subjects:

fun_jirachi

• MOTM: AUG 18
  • Part of the furniture
  • All doom and Gloom.
  • Respect: +710
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2020, 11:23:51 pm »
+6

Yep - definitely. As a minimum, look to run through one mock if you can (with or without the time limit - but it's important to stay wary of the time limit). It's easy with aptitude tests to be seriously caught off guard and familiarisation with the questions will go a long way to helping you! More practice will obviously help you 'game' the system a little more, but try and do the above at the very least - six days is plenty of time to that and more if you can, don't panic! (easy for me to say, i know :( )

Also, don't look to study too hard - I honestly think that studying too hard six days out, even when you've done nothing could potentially be worse than doing nothing at all. Be wary of your limits mentally and stay positive, don't burn yourself out! 'It's probably impossible at this rate' is not the mindset you want to be in now - do what you can, and nothing more and nothing less; so you can say after you've done the test that you made the best out of the situation, and it's great that you're not giving up just yet :) Start by setting small achievable goals and build up your confidence perhaps, and just slowly familarise yourself with everything. If you want to improve quantitative reasoning and speed in a short space of time, try this, or repeat the QR questions but with different numbers.

Lastly, just relax! While it is so damn easy for me to say and a bit rich, honestly - you will come out the other end fine, and you will come out the other end thinking 'hey, that wasn't that bad' - a bit like high school, honestly. Relaxing a little will do that little bit mentally and push you a bit further than you thought you initially could.

Really would like to echo this if you are still struggling for practice. If you do have these skills naturally, it will come a bit easier for you - part of the reason that some of my friends would need to work harder for aptitude tests than others. If I wanted to describe UCAT succinctly but not entirely accurately, I'd call it an 'empathetic aptitude test' - a lot of the stuff is common with a load of other aptitude tests out there.

probably don’t listen to my advice because I’m on my way to failing the UCAT in a few weeks.

Don't doubt yourself - a) it was bloody great advice, b) you are not failing the UCAT, especially if you have a decent mindset (basically not that). For you, there's still a load of time - and while practicing and a touch of luck will get you through well enough, the mental stuff is an absolute necessity and totally underrated. Fix that up, and trust me, you will be more than okay :)

don't worry! I'm in the same position and I'll probably fail mine too.

A la above - please relax! :)

I'm kicking myself for not preparing early on but I feel like my chances of med are already destroyed. And yes I plan on practicing heaps and maybe sitting a few trial exams on medify to see what percentile I'm looking at. And any advice is welcome so thank you for the suggestions and good luck to you!

It's a bit hypocritical of me but don't beat yourself up over things you can't change anymore - try to look ahead and do what you can! Remember, there are also other pathways into medicine as well - UCAT is not the be all end all by any means. This point is really cliched and is absolutely awful on the ears (eyes? I'm not talking) but you need to know that determined people that want to get into med and know it's what they want, will use these other methods if UCAT doesn't quite work out. Keep at it, and don't stress yourself out too much :)

Hope this helps :)
Spoiler
HSC 2018: Mod Hist [88] | 2U Maths [98]
HSC 2019: Physics [92] | Chemistry [93] | English Adv [87] | 3U Maths [98] | 4U Maths [97]
ATAR: 99.05

UCAT: 3310 - VR [740] | DM [890] | QR [880] | AR [800]
Guide Links:
Subject Acceleration (2018)
UCAT Question Compilation/FAQ (2020)
Asking good questions

Failingvce

• Forum Regular
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2020, 11:41:53 pm »
+1
thank you so much for the advice. I certainly feel better now and i'm just going to make the most out of the situation and see where that leads me.
2020 subjects: