Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:43:41 am

Author Topic: calamity and sanity: my journey through vce  (Read 45471 times)

mango8

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +58
Re: calamity and sanity: my journey through vce
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2019, 08:56:52 pm »
+1
Thanks Mango!
There are so many wonderful things about volunteering and it has been so wonderful to be able to impact so many lives, in a way that enriches my life so much. The first time A made a sign (the sign for more) to her music therapist has probably been the best experience I've had as it was such a massive breakthrough. Seeing someone come to the understanding that they are able to communicate and the way that learning Auslan is going to open up so many possibilities for A is so exciting! Through this program I volunteer once a month for three hours, which is about all the kids can handle as the idea is that their parents have a break. I have in the past worked in a cooking class for adults with intellectual disabilities and also do kids program and morning tea duties every week at my church, which is also a fair commitment. I think that no matter what kind of volunteering you do and no matter how much of yourself you give, you will be enriched so much more than you could ever imagine!

That is so wonderful and touching, truly beautiful. You have truly inspired me to take up volunteering next year. I always knew it was so rewarding, but hearing you describe your passion and devotion for what you do has really inspired me. Thank you for that.

Omg I loved Cathy Cassidy as well when I was younger. I used to be thoroughly obsessed with her back then. I absolutely adored her beautiful books and raw, fleshed out characters I could relate to so deeply. She was one of my absolute favourite authors back then, I remember always having one of her books in my hands. I actually haven't heard of most of the books and authors you have mentioned, so I will definitely check them out. I love reading all kinds of books, sometimes I want a riveting, on the edge of my seat read, other times I want a poignant romance, and then I love escaping to a fantasy world as well. I really enjoy all genres.

That poem was sublime. You are so talented! Can't wait for more of your poems and journal entries <3

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2019, 09:00:22 pm »
+1
Omg I loved Cathy Cassidy as well when I was younger. I used to be thoroughly obsessed with her back then.

Yay! Another fan! Have to ask, which book of hers was most memorable to you or your favourite? Also, do you write poems?

mango8

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +58
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2019, 09:11:08 pm »
+1
Yay! Another fan! Have to ask, which book of hers was most memorable to you or your favourite? Also, do you write poems?

Ahhh that's like asking a mother to choose her favourite child. Impossible. But if I'm honest it was so long ago, though I read most of her books, I can't remember them all in much detail now. But memorable ones were definitely Driftwood, Indigo Blue and Angel Cake (related with AC so so much, and still do). And I adored the Chocolate Box series, I could relate to each character so much on a different level. I think now I want to be nostalgic and read them all over again, she was definitely one of my most loved authors because at that time all the characters just meant so much to me because I felt understood. I very rarely write poems, but I do love writing stories and poems. Like reading, I have had no chance to do any of that in Year 12. But I hope you keep up with doing all these things you love and make you happy.

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2019, 04:09:13 pm »
+8
Hello hello!
So I know that I’m updating this a lot at the minute, but I figure that when I get busy and distracted I’m bound to update it less so I may as well write while I’m still enthusiastic! I did some volunteering this morning and it was great to spend time with a different group of kids. Then in the afternoon I did my “ab cruncher” workout (it’s a 30-day thing and I’m currently at day 7 and still going strong) and went on a bike ride to find a geocache and pick up some library books. Although the clouds looked ominous, it was still extremely foggy and I was freezing, I really enjoyed it. At the start of this year, I was quite sick for a month and so I kind of stopped riding my bike and going out on runs and haven’t really started back up since. I think I’m going to put a bit more effort into getting regular outdoor exercise because it always lifts my mood!

Also managed to borrow a 1/2 methods and 1/2 spesh textbook to have a look over! I'm pretty certain I will do methods next year, but I think that having the spesh textbook will help me choose whether or not I'll do spesh as well. Are any of you guys doing spesh? Did you enjoy it?

The boring bit… (AKA. My to-do list)
So I finally knuckled down today and finished off my last two assessments due Monday. I still have one biology task but it is S/N so I’m feeling pretty relaxed. Other than that, I have some combinatorics work to do and a long list of questions on a maths exam to redo and hand back it. (It won’t change my mark but my teacher encourages it anyway.) I also have a stack of holiday homework for biology, but surely that can wait until the end of the holidays? (Hahaha, really bad idea, I know.)

With just a few things to finish off this week, I am very excited to “get into holiday mode”. I know that we are having a careers day this Wednesday, and so I only have four more days of school until the break.

So close yet so far…
Since the start of exam revision time, I have been hanging out desperately for the school holidays.

I’m working one day, seeing some friends and of course going to some ATARNotes lectures. I also intend to get ahead in biology as I did at the start of the year. Knowing that I already had a base understanding of the content really helped with my stress levels. I also plan to go to Experience Clever at LaTrobe and I have a full day rehearsal for the school production.

When I’m not doing that, I hope to spend plenty of time outside (despite the cold), perhaps some bike riding and geocaching adventures. I also have a stack of novels that I’ve been meaning to read and heaps of baking/artistic endeavours that I would like to pursue. Does anyone else have interesting holiday plans?

Today’s Playlist:
- Every Teardrop is a Waterfall (Coldplay)
- Dirty Paws (Of Monsters and Men)
- Not Yet (Chris Renzema)
- Little Talks (Of Monsters and Men)
- Bones (Galantis, OneRepublic)

Do small things with great love.
laura <3

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #19 on: June 24, 2019, 06:30:21 pm »
+8
Hello hello!
Super quick update: got my semester one exam results back! :D
A*: English, Governing The Modern World (Politics/Legal), Unit 1 Bio, Unit 1 Religion and Society
A: Science, Adv Maths

Ugh:
During exams I was feeling super duper drained and could barely bring myself to study for the last two, let alone even try my best during them. I know my marks were fine but I still feel like I didn't put in my best effort. I feel really burnt out all the time and it's only Year 10. Often I question whether or not I'll be able to handle the pressure of Year 12. It feels like this massive thing looming in the not so distant future. I feel tired all the time and I'm getting sick a lot. I have this constant headache that creeps up to a migraine when I get particularly stressed. Sorry if this was a bit much but I'm just feeling a bit lost at the minute.

Honestly, in the younger year levels I struggled a lot with my energy, mood and motivation and during exams it always seems to flare up again. I cannot wait for a break. But feeling like this makes me wonder if things get any better at uni or at work? What if students get out into the real world and find out that it's every bit as bad as school.

Anyways...

Today's Playlist:
- Scars to Your Beautiful (Lara Dabbagh)
- Unwell (Matchbox Twenty)
- Breathe Me (Sia)
- Pretty Hurts (Beyonce)
- Unsteady (X Ambassador)

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves.
I intended this to be a lot shorter than it was! (Sorry! :-\)
laura <3

smallbean

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +28
« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2019, 09:25:36 pm »
+1
Hello hello!
Super quick update: got my semester one exam results back! :D
A*: English, Governing The Modern World (Politics/Legal), Unit 1 Bio, Unit 1 Religion and Society
A: Science, Adv Maths

Ugh:
During exams I was feeling super duper drained and could barely bring myself to study for the last two, let alone even try my best during them. I know my marks were fine but I still feel like I didn't put in my best effort. I feel really burnt out all the time and it's only Year 10. Often I question whether or not I'll be able to handle the pressure of Year 12. It feels like this massive thing looming in the not so distant future. I feel tired all the time and I'm getting sick a lot. I have this constant headache that creeps up to a migraine when I get particularly stressed. Sorry if this was a bit much but I'm just feeling a bit lost at the minute.

Honestly, in the younger year levels I struggled a lot with my energy, mood and motivation and during exams it always seems to flare up again. I cannot wait for a break. But feeling like this makes me wonder if things get any better at uni or at work? What if students get out into the real world and find out that it's every bit as bad as school.

Anyways...

Today's Playlist:
- Scars to Your Beautiful (Lara Dabbagh)
- Unwell (Matchbox Twenty)
- Breathe Me (Sia)
- Pretty Hurts (Beyonce)
- Unsteady (X Ambassador)

Not until we are lost do we begin to understand ourselves.
I intended this to be a lot shorter than it was! (Sorry! :-\)
laura <3

Hey Laura,
Congrats on your Semester One exam results! All of that hard work definitely paid off.  :)
It's totally normal to feel exhausted during this time of the year, as the stress of assessments can really take its toll on both your mental and physical wellbeing. One thing that I've realised throughout my experience with VCE is that it's so crucial to find a balance between study and downtime, as once you take a little break, you'll come back renewed and with a fresh perspective.

Take care, and best of luck with your studies xx
~Class of 2019~
2018: Chinese {SL}

2019: English, Maths Methods, Chemistry, Legal Studies, History Revolutions

2021-2023: Bachelor of Arts @Melb Uni

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2019, 05:56:33 pm »
+4
Hey Laura!

Really looking forward to seeing this journal develop. Honestly think it could help heaps of people in their own VCE journeys, and I hope it helps you with yours, too! :)

I have two questions:

(1) Did you self-teach uke?
(2) Actually, this isn't a question haha - more a statement. Re: workload and stuff through VCE, and then uni and work, I think you kinda adapt to what's around you. I thought the exact same things in Year 10, and here I am, doing fine. If you're concerned about the fatigue etc., though, I'd recommend checking in with a doctor if you can, just to make sure there's no underlying cause. :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #22 on: June 25, 2019, 06:35:00 pm »
+1
(1) Did you self-teach uke?
(2) Actually, this isn't a question haha - more a statement. Re: workload and stuff through VCE, and then uni and work, I think you kinda adapt to what's around you. I thought the exact same things in Year 10, and here I am, doing fine. If you're concerned about the fatigue etc., though, I'd recommend checking in with a doctor if you can, just to make sure there's no underlying cause. :)

hiya,
1. yeah, i did self teach! i only know five chords (c, a flat, g, f, d), but with them and a variety of strumming patterns, you can play most songs. i've found that there are heaps of tutorials on youtube which have been great!

2. thanks for the advice! it's good to hear that you felt the same. my gp suggested that i might be tired because i'm not getting enough protein/iron (lol love being vego) or that i'm dehydrated, so i'm working on drinking heaps of water to see if that fixes anything. :)

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #23 on: June 25, 2019, 09:10:46 pm »
Hope everyone is having a wonderful day! Just a bit of end of term motivation from one of my favourite books of all time (The Princess Saves Herself in This One by Amanda Lovelace):

the princess
jumped from
the tower
& she
learned
that she
could fly
all along.

- she never needed those wings

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #24 on: June 26, 2019, 06:37:48 am »
+1
Hi Laura! Fellow year 10 here, and I’m loving your journal! Please never stop updating <3

How do you find bio? I’m thinking of doing it in the future and would love to hear your thoughts on the subject!

All the best for your journey! xx

thank you!! it's nice to know that other people are reading this hahaha, and nice to see another year 10 around. tbh, at the start of the year, i hated bio because i found the content about cells pretty dense and not very interesting, but the stuff in aos 2 and 3 was really good and i really like the look of the unit two content. in terms of workload, i've found it super manageable as there haven't been that many assessments, however i found it took a lot of time to learn to content at more than just a superficial level. that said, would definitely recommend doing it!

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2019, 01:16:30 pm »
+3
hiya,
1. yeah, i did self teach! i only know five chords (c, a flat, g, f, d), but with them and a variety of strumming patterns, you can play most songs. i've found that there are heaps of tutorials on youtube which have been great!

Yeah, that's pretty much all you need! A, Em and Dm are other easy chords that can increase the range of songs you can play. :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2019, 06:00:46 pm »
+2
Hello hello!
I'm still waiting for the fact that the school holidays are finally here! Had a 5am start today as A (the girl I look after) is in respite care in the middle of nowhere and I wanted to visit her. Only took me two hours to get there! ::) But how much fun we had together!!

So I got all my biology work done before the end of term, but I think my exhaustion got to me a bit. I've been a straight A* student and I got my first (and hopefully last) B on my final assignment. I thought I would be disappointed but I think I'm past the point of caring. Other than that I was super happy with all the assignment marks that I got back.

I have a very long list of things I need to get done over the holidays including:
- a ton of bio homework (2 hours of Edrolo plus a chapter of the textbook and all the accompanying questions).
- a maths test to study for (in the first week back >:( )
- a novel to read for english (plus hopefully annotate)

I also have to plan for a secret topic debate and study for Round Two of The Brain Bee.

Today's Playlist: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/0CvESrjNfGer1uKruaXVFm?si=XgsrvlNUQHm9n0MV4APPOQ

In the depth of winter, I finally learnt that within me there lay an invincible summer.
laura <3

brothanathan

« Reply #27 on: June 30, 2019, 07:57:45 pm »
+1
So I got all my biology work done before the end of term, but I think my exhaustion got to me a bit. I've been a straight A* student and I got my first (and hopefully last) B on my final assignment. I thought I would be disappointed but I think I'm past the point of caring. Other than that I was super happy with all the assignment marks that I got back.

It's great that you can accept progress Laura. Give yourself two days to reflect, will work wonders.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2019, 08:00:34 pm by brothanathan »

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2019, 01:45:53 pm »
+5
Hello hello!
The Update
Writing this short update from the kitchen bench. I'm making soup and it smells amazing! (Yet another way of procrastinating the pile of biology homework). I went to the AN 1/2 Bio lecture on Tuesday and that was super duper helpful. I found that I understood the first section of the talk, but got a little lost in the second bit. The third section was a summary of Year 10 genetics and fairly straightforward, and then heaps of tips about how to do well. The biggest things that the presenter mentioned were a lot of habits I already have, although she also had some other strategies that I might try to implement. Apart from that three hour period, I haven't even thought about school.

I have a maths test about probability (and combinatorics) in the first week back, so I plan to work through the first revision worksheet today, as well as watch the first set of bio Edrolo videos, and take some notes on them. I think I'll head to the library so that I'm actually motivated to complete them because I know that otherwise, I'll find a way to get distracted.

Tomorrow I'm going to ExperienceClever at Latrobe, and they have heaps of sessions about their allied health courses so that should be super informative.

Also, kind of unrelated, but some of my poetry is being used in a publication being put together by the local council, and I get to read the final draft at a meeting tonight! I was also shortlisted for Whitlam Institue's "What Matters" writing competition, which I'm really excited about. These were both things I entered at the encouragement of my awesome English teacher (who I don't have next semester because our school decided to change all of the English classes in the middle of the year for no reason).

Today's Playlist:
- Bad Guy (Billie Eilish)
- Better When I'm Dancing (Meghan Trainer)
- Love Runs Out (OneRepublic)
- I Know What You Did Last Summer (Shawn Mendes)
- Boom Clap (Charli XCX)

Be the kind of energy you want to attract!
laura <3

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2019, 05:50:16 pm »
+7
Hello hello!
This turned out way longer than it was meant to be... it's kind of a brain dump about all the things that happened over the holidays and the things coming up at school next week.

My Last Weekend Of The School Holidays - *screams*
I am surprisingly not stressed about the large amount of homework I have to get done before the end of the holidays. I never usually leave things to the last minute so I assumed that at some point I would find some motivation and knuckle down... but alas, no motivation to be found... anywhere. I spent time at the RACV club today in Healsville with some family friends today and it was amazing. (It was super posh which really isn't my scene, but they are super lovely and we spent time playing table tennis and a board game called codenames.) I really enjoyed the time, but I probably should have studied today. I have church tomorrow morning, but the afternoon should be enough time to get everything done if I work wisely. I only have biology work left to complete and some new books to label for other subjects. I also have a competition on Wednesday on some psychology stuff that I haven't even started learning, so I should do that at some point. It's called "The Brain Bee" and with a lot of hard work, I passed the first round. All the knowledge I crammed into my short term memory has since disappeared so I have no idea what to do about it.

The Rest Of My Break
I spent a lot of time with close friends and family. I really enjoyed getting to see both of my sets of grandparents and spending time with my sister. I went with my mum and sister to Geelong (by VLine) to visit her parents and it was a really nice day out. We went to Geelong gallery and saw an interesting exhibit about the moon. There was a really political art piece that drew my attention (it was about China and the space race). A different day, my sister and I went to Preston market for the morning and just wandered around. We use to live around there and would go there a lot so it was fun to reminisce.

ExperienceClever
Last time I wrote an update I was about to go to ExperienceClever. I ended up going and really enjoyed it. I saw some old friends and made some new ones as well as learning about the course. I found out more about VCEPlus and their Aspire Program as well as their OT, Physio and Speech courses. I also got to see their anatomy labs and look at cadavers. It was a bit intimidating but as it's something that all allied health students must do, it was a good experience. I also found out a little bit more about Auslan.

Production Rehearsal
Our production is in 19 days and I am quite stressed about it. Before every show, it always feels like it cannot possibly come together in time, but I know it will. I'm acting in it, but I also have to learn three dances (which is totally not what I signed up for). The play is A Midsummer Night's Dream... but with lots of pop songs. I am Starveling, for those who know it. He is a Shakesperian tradie who is scared of most things, an interesting character to portray. We had a group rehearsal; yesterday with all of the musicians, actors and dancers. It was chaotic but lots of fun. I also got to see my second costume and I. LOVE. IT. I have been getting a lot of migraines and losing my voice a lot (since the start of the year), so as much as I enjoyed it, I came home feeling awful.

Community Service
Every Year 10 at our school does three or four afternoons of community service. I am volunteering at a pre-prep program for kids with intellectual disabilities and really excited about it. It was set up by the school and should be heaps of fun. It really feels like it will be my kind of thing. I am doing two sessions this week, Monday and Tuesday. Wednesday was also meant to be one of my sessions but I'm on the Brain Bee excursion. (Rather disappointing as I would really rather not go). I am hoping that I will have opportunities later in the year to return, or else that I can contact the organisation directly.

Today's Playlist:
Brown Eyed Girl
American Pie
Hotel California
Sweet Home Alabama
Ain't No Mountain High Enough

Keep calm and study like Granger.
laura <3