Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 05:38:08 am

Author Topic: HSC Modern History Question Thread  (Read 350265 times)  Share 

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
Re: Modern History Question Thread
« Reply #345 on: May 23, 2017, 07:21:44 pm »
I kinda reworked my thesis:
"Trotsky’s theory of Permanent Revolution was one of his most significant contributions to
the national history because it was used to consolidate power over the Soviet Union."

Because my teacher said to clearly identify the impact in your first sentence so i was trying to say ^ that the theory was used to help them take over the soviet union and gain power...

Sounds good :) Be specific and say "Bolshevik power" though.

Hello! I have a question about Conflict in Europe. Can someone please explain the idea of collective security?? I get it but not really..especially in the context of the work..thanks!!

Hey! So I didn't study Conflict in Europe (so hopefully someone who did can verify/let me know if I'm wrong!) however my understanding of the term collective security refers to a situation whereby a group of nations agree a) not attack one another, b) defend each other against an attack from another member of the group. The "security" aspect of this is that it makes it a lot harder/more "unappealing" to attack a member nation, if you know that in doing so, you will be attacked by several other nations. An example of an attempt at collective security is the United Nations! This website provided a pretty good explanation I think :)

Hopefully someone who studied Conflict in Europe will be able to expand on the answer above, but in the meantime, defs check out this set of Conflict in Europe notes we have uploaded in the notes section :) Maybe they'll be able to answer your question as well!
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

Rasika

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #346 on: May 23, 2017, 08:12:48 pm »
What is a good short definition of the permanent revolution?

marcusgrahamm

• Forum Regular
  • --
« Reply #347 on: May 23, 2017, 08:21:18 pm »
Thoughts on essay ???

Spoiler
To what extent was Nazi Germany a totalitarian state between 1933 and 1939?

A totalitarian state can be defined as having a centralised government with little tolerance for other parties or differing opinions, exercising dictatorial control over many aspects of civilian life. This was evident in Germany following the collapse of the Weimar Republic from 1933, however societies acceptance of such structural change decreases the extend of the totalitarian nation. It is through terror and propaganda, the consolidation of Nazi power, and Nazi ideology that Germany is highlighted as being a totalitarian state.

The consolidation of Nazi power eradicated opposing political parties, increasing the totalitarian characteristics of Germany in 1933. The German term ‘Gleischaltung’ meaning ‘coordination’ occurred between 1933 and 1934, bringing all elements of German life under Nazi control. Operation Hummingbird, otherwise known as the Night of the Long Knives, resulted in the execution of many SA leaders across the country, after President Hindenburg and other army leaders “demanded that Hitler get the SA under control” (Webb, 2011) after the continued violence they showed. Ernst Rohm, leader of the SA, was one of the many people executed during this operation as he believed that the Nazi revolution was incomplete and wished to establish a “national people’s militia” (Webb, 2011). This threat of rivalry motivated Hitler to act against the SA and conveys the characteristics of a totalitarian state as Rohm challenged his desire of a dictatorial leadership and was therefore killed. In March 1933, the Nazi party joined with the Nationalists party to gain an extra 7% of the vote in the Reichstag elections, giving them the majority vote at 51% (Webb, 2011). Furthermore, the Enabling Act of 1933 amended the Weimar Constitution to give Hitler the power as Chancellor to enact laws without the involvement of the Reichstag. The Communist party then collapsed after laws for the seizure of communist assets were passed, leaving them with nothing. Later, laws against the establishment of parties were passed, ensuring the Nazi party was the only political party in Germany. The legal processes Hitler used to consolidate Nazi power highlight how Germany was a totalitarian state in 1933 to 1934. Through Operation Hummingbird and removing conflicting parties from the Reichstag, Germany is portrayed to be totalitarian through its centralized government.

Widespread terror and propaganda was exercised by the Nazi regime to manipulate aspects of civilian life, highlighting the totalitarian features of Germany. Joseph Goebbels was appointed the Minister for Enlightenment and Propaganda in 1933 and was effective in his ability to manipulate society into supporting the radical change implemented through the Nazi regime. Loudspeakers were placed in public areas for people to hear the Fuhrer speak, and movies, radio and music was highly censored to ensure escapism, or light entertainment “to keep the minds of the masses off political difficulties.” (Webb, 2011). Furthermore, Goebbels represented Hitler as “the hero of fatherland, the man that the nation had been waiting for” (Webb, 2011) encouraging the German society to “embrace changes in their life made for ‘the cause’” (S. Gibbons, 2002). With complete faith in their dictatorial leadership, Germany then complied with the introduction of the SS, Hitler’s private army, and the Gestapo, the secret state police, who investigated any threats posed to the regime. These organisations fostered the image of an all-powerful body which brought dread to enemies of the regime. However, this “fear was more implied than actual” (B. Thomas, 2017) as “up to 80% of investigations stemmed from voluntary denunciations… which were more the consequence of spite than devotion to the regime.” (Webb, 2011) Therefore the extent to which Nazi Germany could be defined as a totalitarian state is challenged as society was accepting of the policies and procedures that were put in place with regards to terror. The Gestapo were a reactive organisation with no higher authority to monitor their activities, and although they removed many individual freedoms in Germany at the time, “the people generally supported this due to its ability to maintain law and order after the destructive Weimar years.” (S. Gibbons, 2002). The characteristics of Nazi Germany reflect that of a totalitarian state, however to a certain extent had the support from society to maintain law and order.

Nazi ideology and the desire for purity in the Aryan race, highlights the totalitarian nature of Germany. Eugenics was “nothing more than a crude form of Social Darwinism” (Webb, 2011), as it studied how humans could be improved through selective breeding. The Law for the Prevention of Hereditarily Diseased Progeny was introduced in July 1933 which resulted in the sterilisation of more than 300,000 Germans due to physical or other abnormalities who were “unworthy of life.” (Webb, 2011) This suggests Germany was a totalitarian state due to their control on human life and extermination of “inadequate” races. The Kristallnacht or “Night of Broken Glass” in November 1938 allowed organised attacks on Jews with 30,000 transported to concentration camps in one night. In 1938, the Jewish population in Germany was 355,000 which decreased to 185,000 in 1939, indicating the impact of racial attacks against the Jews. Furthermore, marriage between a Jewish and non-Jewish person were outlawed, aiming to maintain racial purity through the marriage of two Aryan people. Jews were charged with “attack on German blood” if they married non-Jewish, and non-Jews would be charged with “treason against German blood” (Webb, 2011). This strong anti-Semitism displays the totalitarian nature of Germany and how Nazi ideology of a pure race influenced society’s life.

Totalitarianism is displayed in Nazi Germany through their use of terror and propaganda, consolidation of Nazi power and anti-Semitism. Through the eradication of opposing parties and striving towards a pure race, totalitarianism was an integral part of German society throughout 1933 and 1939.

Mod Edit: Just put your essay in a spoiler  :)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 08:40:55 pm by sudodds »
Business Studies-89

Legal Studies-93

Modern History-93

Society And Culture-93

Advanced English-93

Ext 1 Eng- 42

ATAR: 96.95

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #348 on: May 23, 2017, 08:28:57 pm »
What is a good short definition of the permanent revolution?

That's a tough one! Tbh you're never going to get a good "short" definition of any ideological/philosophical theory. I think the best way to describe it, in limited words would be just to say that it was a marxist theory, devised by Leon Trotsky in 1906, that stressed the agency of the peasantry and proletariat classes in progressing through the historical stages (as opposed to orthodox marxism, which saw the progression as something more gradual and "natural") through agitiation and revolution, in particular a European, and then global communist revolution.

Thoughts on essay ???

Hey Marcus :) Welcome to the forums :D We actually offer modern history marking over on this thread. All you need to do to qualify is accumulate a few more posts, 15 posts = 1 essay marked :) You're already at 12, so not long to go!

Susie
« Last Edit: May 23, 2017, 08:44:47 pm by sudodds »

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

JD99

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #349 on: May 24, 2017, 08:07:35 am »
I'm trying to complete an ass.task, it's a speech and i need at least four historians as evidence.
Could you help me with this: what is the best way to use historians  as evidence? Often when I get an essay back the teacher has said something about not using historians/evidence 'as my argument'...Sorry that is quite a confusing question...

Any help will be much appreciated!

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #350 on: May 24, 2017, 09:30:36 am »
I'm trying to complete an ass.task, it's a speech and i need at least four historians as evidence.
Could you help me with this: what is the best way to use historians  as evidence? Often when I get an essay back the teacher has said something about not using historians/evidence 'as my argument'...Sorry that is quite a confusing question...

Any help will be much appreciated!
Hey JD99! What your teacher is saying is that essentially you shouldn't be arguing the historians point - they should be arguing yours! Modern essays are marked on how well they construct and sustain a judgement/thesis, not how well a student can parrot the words of a historian - your own argument needs to be the focus :) However getting the balance right certainly is tricky! The way I did it was to a) Always bring up and establish my argument before bringing in historians and then b) when I did bring them in I would always phrase it like this "(my argument) is further affirmed by Hobsbawm, who states..." or "Gaddis supports this view..." etc. etc.

Hope this helps/makes sense!

Susie
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 10:04:50 am by sudodds »

JD99

• Forum Regular
« Reply #351 on: May 24, 2017, 09:41:41 am »
Thank you so much! that is very helpful!

Also, did u study Albert Speer??
I am wondering whether you could help me find some other historians...so far I've used Trevor Roper, Gitta Sereny and Henry King.

Thank you!

jakesilove

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Synergising your ATAR potential"
  • Respect: +196
« Reply #352 on: May 24, 2017, 10:03:10 am »
+1

I am wondering whether you could help me find some other historians...so far I've used Trevor Roper, Gitta Sereny and Henry King.

Thank you!

Hey! I did Speer; I also used Van der Vat and Alan Bullock (as well as anyone else I could find!)
ATAR: 99.80

Mathematics Extension 2: 93
Physics: 93
Chemistry: 93
Modern History: 94
English Advanced: 95
Mathematics: 96
Mathematics Extension 1: 98

Studying a combined Advanced Science/Law degree at UNSW

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #353 on: May 24, 2017, 10:10:13 am »

Thank you!
Hey! I did Speer; I also used Van der Vat and Alan Bullock (as well as anyone else I could find!)

No worries! Using historians effectively is a fairly common problem amongst students, so more than happy to help :) Bowiemily also shared some of the resources she used for Speer (and Germany!) here! :)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 10:21:06 am by sudodds »

JD99

• Forum Regular
« Reply #354 on: May 24, 2017, 10:18:43 am »
+1
Okay, thanks for that! I'll head over there n hava look!

Jess.martinuzzo

• Trailblazer
« Reply #355 on: May 26, 2017, 09:54:01 am »
Hey Susie,
Just doing my modern assessment for my personality study and I have a few questions :) 

So obviously there is a 10 marker and a 15 marker, but I was just curious, is there a rough estimate as to how many words you should be writing per question?

Also with question 1 of the assessment - the 10 marker,
'Provide a detailed description of THREE events in the life of the personality you have studied.' (Trotsky)
The marking criteria states 'presents a detailed, relevant description of THREE significant events...'
So does that mean with the selection of my three events, I would have to, to some extent, justify why they are 'significant' and how they shaped the personality?

And one last question,
I was speaking to my teacher and he said that with the selection of events, we cannot choose 'the 1917 revolution', 'the 1905 revolution and period in exile', 'the civil war' or 'the power struggle', we actually have to pick specific events not 'time periods'.  :(
Any suggestions for key events within the 1917 revolution, the 1905 revolution and period in exile as well as the power struggle??

Thankyou!  :)

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #356 on: May 26, 2017, 10:16:14 am »
+1
Hey Susie,
Just doing my modern assessment for my personality study and I have a few questions :) 

So obviously there is a 10 marker and a 15 marker, but I was just curious, is there a rough estimate as to how many words you should be writing per question?

Also with question 1 of the assessment - the 10 marker,
'Provide a detailed description of THREE events in the life of the personality you have studied.' (Trotsky)
The marking criteria states 'presents a detailed, relevant description of THREE significant events...'
So does that mean with the selection of my three events, I would have to, to some extent, justify why they are 'significant' and how they shaped the personality?

And one last question,
I was speaking to my teacher and he said that with the selection of events, we cannot choose 'the 1917 revolution', 'the 1905 revolution and period in exile', 'the civil war' or 'the power struggle', we actually have to pick specific events not 'time periods'.  :(
Any suggestions for key events within the 1917 revolution, the 1905 revolution and period in exile as well as the power struggle??

Thankyou!  :)

Hey Jess!

In regards to your first question, my best estimate word count wise is 400-500 for part A and 600-800 part B, as the markers expect that you can write a minimum of 1000 words in 45 minutes. However, it is better to focus more on the amount of time that you spend on each, rather than the amount of words, 18 minutes for Part A and 27 minutes for Part B (I know - super specific haha).

Second question - okay so in the HSC you CAN definitely just discuss 1905 revolution, 1917 revolution, civil war, power struggle etc. as events. For part A I received 9.5/10 in the HSC, and my three significant events were the 1905 Revolution, the 1917 Revolution and the Power Struggle. Everyone has different teaching styles, but that is just a weird recommendation - I don't think you'd have enough detail to justify only talking about one small aspect of the event. BUT since that seems to be what your teacher is expecting maybe these could work??

- 1905 Revolution and early exile - writing Results and Prospects, which expounded his theory of Permanent Revolution.
- 1917 Revolution - Either his role in changing the date of revolution, or the actual storming of the Winter Palace
- Power Struggle - The suppression of Lenin's Testament

But yeah, defs a weird recommendation! Please don't think that in the actual HSC exam you have to do this.

Hope this helps!

Susie

Jess.martinuzzo

• Trailblazer
« Reply #357 on: May 26, 2017, 10:36:49 am »
Hey Jess!

In regards to your first question, my best estimate word count wise is 400-500 for part A and 600-800 part B, as the markers expect that you can write a minimum of 1000 words in 45 minutes. However, it is better to focus more on the amount of time that you spend on each, rather than the amount of words, 18 minutes for Part A and 27 minutes for Part B (I know - super specific haha).

Second question - okay so in the HSC you CAN definitely just discuss 1905 revolution, 1917 revolution, civil war, power struggle etc. as events. For part A I received 9.5/10 in the HSC, and my three significant events were the 1905 Revolution, the 1917 Revolution and the Power Struggle. Everyone has different teaching styles, but that is just a weird recommendation - I don't think you'd have enough detail to justify only talking about one small aspect of the event. BUT since that seems to be what your teacher is expecting maybe these could work??

- 1905 Revolution and early exile - writing Results and Prospects, which expounded his theory of Permanent Revolution.
- 1917 Revolution - Either his role in changing the date of revolution, or the actual storming of the Winter Palace
- Power Struggle - The suppression of Lenin's Testament

But yeah, defs a weird recommendation! Please don't think that in the actual HSC exam you have to do this.

Hope this helps!

Susie

Thankyou so much!
My teacher mainly suggested it because when describing these events, he said that it's going to be too broad and not in depth enough. But I found it quite odd for him to suggest that.
OHH well.
Thanks again :)

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #358 on: May 26, 2017, 11:48:09 am »
Thankyou so much!
My teacher mainly suggested it because when describing these events, he said that it's going to be too broad and not in depth enough. But I found it quite odd for him to suggest that.
OHH well.
Thanks again :)
The depth comes through your analysis and the detail you use to support it - it's only going to be broad if you "speak broadly" if that makes sense. For example, if you say "the 1917 Revolution was a significant event in the life of Leon Trotsky because he was important" - yeah way to broad. However if you said "The 1917 Revolution was a significant event in the life of Leon Trotsky, as it demonstrated his pragmatism and allowed him to consolidate his influence within the Bolshevik Party" - you've narrowed down your analysis and how you are assessing the significance of the event.

Dunno if I explained this very well - hope this makes sense/helps!

Susie

Jess.martinuzzo

• Trailblazer
« Reply #359 on: May 27, 2017, 12:16:35 pm »
+1
The depth comes through your analysis and the detail you use to support it - it's only going to be broad if you "speak broadly" if that makes sense. For example, if you say "the 1917 Revolution was a significant event in the life of Leon Trotsky because he was important" - yeah way to broad. However if you said "The 1917 Revolution was a significant event in the life of Leon Trotsky, as it demonstrated his pragmatism and allowed him to consolidate his influence within the Bolshevik Party" - you've narrowed down your analysis and how you are assessing the significance of the event.

Dunno if I explained this very well - hope this makes sense/helps!

Susie

Okay! Thanks so much, this makes more sense now :) I'll give it a go now, and see what my teacher thinks!