Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 03:29:35 am

Author Topic: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 568045 times)  Share 

AFix

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #435 on: October 31, 2016, 11:43:18 am »
Hey Jamon
Even though with my LCDMT, I still feel that I'm not making many points, at times being repetitive. Like lets say for the criminal investigation process,  I talked about investigation of crime - on how the law has taken more stricter approach for community welfare but in many instances it may conflict with individual liberties. Also talked about detention and bail. When I'm making the evaluation at the end of each paragraph, i've stated the arguments that I described through my case. But straight after i did the linking sentence in which i evaluated, then moved to next paragraph.
 So how should i expand on this generally before coming to the link.

the only thing is like I've got evidence but arguments doesn't seem to flow naturally. What do you suggest?

Thanks

What you're doing seems fine!  I, personally, don't seem to see the problem?

AFix

• Trailblazer
« Reply #436 on: October 31, 2016, 11:45:21 am »
Hey guys, does anyone know what questions/themes haven't been asked yet? 

Was it just the investigation process, sentencing/punishment and Young Offenders?  Cheers!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #437 on: October 31, 2016, 11:52:07 am »
Hey Jamon
Even though with my LCDMT, I still feel that I'm not making many points, at times being repetitive. Like lets say for the criminal investigation process,  I talked about investigation of crime - on how the law has taken more stricter approach for community welfare but in many instances it may conflict with individual liberties. Also talked about detention and bail. When I'm making the evaluation at the end of each paragraph, i've stated the arguments that I described through my case. But straight after i did the linking sentence in which i evaluated, then moved to next paragraph.
 So how should i expand on this generally before coming to the link.

the only thing is like I've got evidence but arguments doesn't seem to flow naturally. What do you suggest?

Thanks

I'm with AFix, what you are doing sounds great in principal! But I think you mean just the logical progression of your paragraphs from one to the next? Why don't you upload a couple of paragraphs you are concerned about, or even just the intros and conclusions, because it sounds like you are on the money? :)

Rd2487

• Adventurer
  • School: Glenwood High School
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #438 on: October 31, 2016, 01:10:29 pm »
Thanks Jamon I was a lot worried before.
Also can you please have a quick look at this introduction and first body.

Thanks for all your help, really appreciate it :)

nay103

• Adventurer
« Reply #439 on: October 31, 2016, 05:57:44 pm »
Hi!
For the options (or even crime though I seriously hope not) if they ask about legal and non-legal responses how should we focus our essay? Should we discuss legal: non-legal as a 1 to 1 ratio or would it be okay in a four paragraph essay to have 3 legal and 1 non-legal? I just feel the focus shouldn't be on non-legal since it is LEGAL studies, not NON-legal studies, after all... ;)
Thank you!
HSC 2016: Subjects:
| English Advanced | English Extension 1 | Mathematics Extension I | Mathematics Extension 2 | Legal Studies | Physics | Heritage Japanese |

2015:
| Mind and Morality |

atar27

• Forum Regular
« Reply #440 on: October 31, 2016, 06:08:48 pm »

Hi!
For the options (or even crime though I seriously hope not) if they ask about legal and non-legal responses how should we focus our essay? Should we discuss legal: non-legal as a 1 to 1 ratio or would it be okay in a four paragraph essay to have 3 legal and 1 non-legal? I just feel the focus shouldn't be on non-legal since it is LEGAL studies, not NON-legal studies, after all... ;)
Thank you!

Hey! For trials, the world order question was legal and non legal! I did the 3 legal and 1 non legal and I lost marks for that because it should be an even ratio of both legal and non legal.
Hope this helps :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #441 on: October 31, 2016, 06:34:58 pm »
Hi!
Thank you!

Hey nay! I definitely agree, and that ratio sounds okay to me! As atar27 suggested above though, it could be a bit out of swing. If you do it, the paragraph on non-legal would have to be really substantial. It could be a little awkward.

The other thing you could do is integrate non-legal throughout your legal responses! Talk about how they assist the legal mechanisms in being more effective (raising awareness, promoting discussion, etc etc) :)

I think a slight imbalance, like 60-40, is okay! But 75-25 might be swinging a tad too far! :)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 06:37:24 pm by jamonwindeyer »

atar27

• Forum Regular
« Reply #442 on: October 31, 2016, 07:38:03 pm »
Hey, it is okay if you can please mark this and give me feedback. R2P confuses me so much :(

Responsibility to Protect
As the sovereign powers of states allow them to neglect their responsibility to protect their population, R2P places a secondary obligation for international assistance. This reform rose in response to the controversy that raged over wether the international community had the ‘right of international intervention’ in the conflict of Rwanda, Bosnia and Kosovo. Adoption of the new doctrine represented an international commitment by states to prevent and react to grave crisis wherever they may occur. R2P’s Pillar Two constitutes that the international community has a responsibility to assist the state to fulfil its primary responsibility. However, a speech given at the General Assembly Thematic Dialogue on the Responsibility to Protect 2009 outline the issues in R2P as an example of ‘dominant law making’ as the notions of ‘manifestly failing’ significantly sharpened the UN Charter Article 42. Yet, the R2P’s effectiveness is demonstrated within Libya after the UNSC successfully ordered creasers of Gaddafi strongholds and enforced a ‘no fly zone’. Ramesh Thanker states in ‘Has  R2P worked in Libya 2011 that, ‘The outcome is a triumph and first and foremost for the citizen soldiers. It is a triumph secondary for R2P’. It is successful as it abolishes the enforceability restraint that was perviously associated with the UNSC. Whilst R2P was effective in Libya, Syria represents a contemporary issue that has been ineffectively responded to, largely due to consistent veto’s by SC members. According to the Telegraph article, ‘UN no longer fit for purpose after Syria says Amnesty’ 2012 the Amnesty Security General states that the UN is ‘tired out of step and anachronistic’ as Russia has vetoed sanctions, arms embargo and referral to the ICC. Yet, in 2016 a recent BBC article, ‘Syria Conflict: US and UK rhetoric ‘unacceptable’ Russia, states that Mr Peskov acknowledged the truce deal had been ‘not very effective’, but insisted that Moscow ‘definitely remains hopeful, and most importantly it retain the political will to apply as much effort as possible to find a steady path for political settlement in Syria’ This explicitly highlights the effectiveness of the R2P doctrine in attempting to create cooperation

Scarlet

• Adventurer
« Reply #443 on: October 31, 2016, 08:45:35 pm »
Hi legal eagles !!

I have a question about the human rights topic, I don't understand what intergovernmental organisations and statutory authorities are...
Could someone please explain these to me and give me examples on how they promote and enforce human rights ?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #444 on: October 31, 2016, 09:07:02 pm »
+1
Hi legal eagles !!

I have a question about the human rights topic, I don't understand what intergovernmental organisations and statutory authorities are...
Could someone please explain these to me and give me examples on how they promote and enforce human rights ?

Hey Scarlet!! Okay, let's get into those:

An intergovernmental organisation is an organisation that consists of multiple nation states, who "sign up" as members in order to discuss/address international issues. It is an organisation of multiple countries, essentially! An example is the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation, which is an IGO of countries in the North Atlantic. The organisation focuses on maintaining peace and economic prosperity. These IGO's can protect human rights essentially by peer pressure. For example, NATO has put a lot of pressure on North Korea for their human rights violations. If everyone in your organisation is against you, chances are you'll shape up.

A statutory authority is a body that is given authority/power by a statute/law. The Australian Human Rights Commission is an example, which was brought into power by the Australian Human Rights Commission Act 1986. The statute gives the commission power to investigate human rights issues and make recommendations to parliament. They assist in court proceedings as well. The ability of a statutory body like this to protect human rights? Do a bit of research into the AHRC, make your own call as to how effective they are ;D

To those above wanting a paragraph marked, I'm doing a mark run late this evening! Expect feedback by the morning! ;D

Scarlet

• Adventurer
« Reply #445 on: October 31, 2016, 09:16:48 pm »
Thank you Jamon !!  :)
I'll make sure to do the extra research into the AHRC

Hey Scarlet!! Okay, let's get into those:

An intergovernmental organisation is an organisation that consists of multiple nation states, who "sign up" as members in order to discuss/address international issues. It is an organisation of multiple countries, essentially! An example is the North Atlantic Treaty Organisation, which is an IGO of countries in the North Atlantic. The organisation focuses on maintaining peace and economic prosperity. These IGO's can protect human rights essentially by peer pressure. For example, NATO has put a lot of pressure on North Korea for their human rights violations. If everyone in your organisation is against you, chances are you'll shape up.

A statutory authority is a body that is given authority/power by a statute/law. The Australian Human Rights Commission is an example, which was brought into power by the Australian Human Rights Commission Act 1986. The statute gives the commission power to investigate human rights issues and make recommendations to parliament. They assist in court proceedings as well. The ability of a statutory body like this to protect human rights? Do a bit of research into the AHRC, make your own call as to how effective they are ;D

To those above wanting a paragraph marked, I'm doing a mark run late this evening! Expect feedback by the morning! ;D

vip99

• Fresh Poster
  • School: Mercy Catholic College
« Reply #446 on: October 31, 2016, 10:21:54 pm »
hi :) i was just wondering how to approach essay questions on compliance and non-compliance for the topic of crime, human rights, family, and world order.
Also, would you recommend memorising three general essays for crime, family, and world order?
Thank you!!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #447 on: October 31, 2016, 10:42:42 pm »
hi :) i was just wondering how to approach essay questions on compliance and non-compliance for the topic of crime, human rights, family, and world order.
Also, would you recommend memorising three general essays for crime, family, and world order?
Thank you!!

Welcome to the forums vip99! ;D

So compliance/non-compliance is about how effectively the law encourages citizens to abide by it. In general, this relates to:
- The ability of the law to act as a deterrence for bad behaviour (by individuals or, for world order, countries)
- The extent to which the law reflects societal standards
- The ability of the law to handle non-compliance in a way that suits the circumstance (justice)

And other things. For Crime, you could talk about things like:
- Deterrence in Sentencing
- The Investigation Process
- Crime Prevention Strategies

For Family, take a similar approach, perhaps focused on the issues of domestic violence? Compliance/non compliance would be tricky for a Family question, unlikely to come up.

For World Order however, compliance and non-compliance plays a large role. Talk massively about state sovereignty as a barrier to compliance, then just analyse things like UN, IGO's etc in terms of how well they encourage nation states to abide by international standards.

For memorised essays, I'd advise against it. Just too many things that could be asked, for Family particularly. I'd just be memorising lots of evidence! :)

vip99

• Fresh Poster
  • School: Mercy Catholic College
« Reply #448 on: October 31, 2016, 10:59:00 pm »
+1
Welcome to the forums vip99! ;D

So compliance/non-compliance is about how effectively the law encourages citizens to abide by it. In general, this relates to:
- The ability of the law to act as a deterrence for bad behaviour (by individuals or, for world order, countries)
- The extent to which the law reflects societal standards
- The ability of the law to handle non-compliance in a way that suits the circumstance (justice)

And other things. For Crime, you could talk about things like:
- Deterrence in Sentencing
- The Investigation Process
- Crime Prevention Strategies

For Family, take a similar approach, perhaps focused on the issues of domestic violence? Compliance/non compliance would be tricky for a Family question, unlikely to come up.

For World Order however, compliance and non-compliance plays a large role. Talk massively about state sovereignty as a barrier to compliance, then just analyse things like UN, IGO's etc in terms of how well they encourage nation states to abide by international standards.

For memorised essays, I'd advise against it. Just too many things that could be asked, for Family particularly. I'd just be memorising lots of evidence! :)

Thank you so much!!  :D really appreciate it!!!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #449 on: October 31, 2016, 11:06:03 pm »
Thanks Jamon I was a lot worried before.
Also can you please have a quick look at this introduction and first body.
Thanks for all your help, really appreciate it :)

I think the ideas covered in that introduction work really well! The bit at the end about law reform feels just a bit "tacked on" as an afterthought, you may want to consider bringing it in earlier, or perhaps ditching it entirely! It doesn't seem essential. Besides this, your list of paragraph topics sets up your essay well, and the ideas are presented clearly.

If the first paragraph is an indicator of your analytical style, then you have nothing to worry about. It works really really well! I would say that perhaps you go a little bit off track; at the start of the paragraph you are all about rehabilitation to prevent recidivism, but by the end you aren't really talking about that anymore (see your conclusion as evidence). Be sure that you keep the focus on rehabilitation (or make your topic sentence a little broader to make sure you can talk about more stuff).

I could pick little issues here and there with expression and stuff, but on the whole you are writing excellently. I'd be super confident of smashing out something great on Wednesday! ;D