Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:12:49 am

Author Topic: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 568036 times)  Share 

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #420 on: October 30, 2016, 12:08:32 am »
IF the essay was on young offenders and law reform and assuming it was an evaluate the effectiveness essay would these points be alright to talk about

--> Young Offenders Act 1997, link how that legislation was created due to growing societal concerns on the welfare of children (? not sure if that is the actual reason) and then talk about how it establised YJC, and the 3 tier system, statistics showing that it is effective in rehabilitating children and reducing recidivism

--> Bail Amednment Act 2013 and how it removed limitations on multiple bail applications for young offenders which was imposed by the Bail Amendment Act 2007 and then stat how the removal of the limitations saw an increase in incarceration

--> Third point would be the introduction of the Children's Court Act 1997 to better meet the needs of dealing with children in the CJS

Thanks

I think this sounds like an excellent plan! Be sure to have the required depth with these, including specific examples of them being applied in cases, statistics, and perhaps even the reports/inquiries that lead to the establishment of the laws you are discussing! ;D

The Young Offenders Act is a big point here; you could do multiple paragraphs on it alone! You'll have a lot to talk about in that first section ;D

hennyc

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #421 on: October 30, 2016, 02:46:43 am »
After we have prepared and memorised all our LCM for all topics what's the best thing to do?

Thesis statements and trying to make sophisticated arguments?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #422 on: October 30, 2016, 10:42:10 am »
After we have prepared and memorised all our LCM for all topics what's the best thing to do?

Thesis statements and trying to make sophisticated arguments?

Hey Henny! Yep, and lots of practice! Over the last few days you should try doing some exams under exam conditions and seeing how you go; it might identify some weaknesses you can address! :)

Deng

• Trendsetter
« Reply #423 on: October 30, 2016, 11:49:40 am »
Just wondering should i bother having an extensive plan on international crime since it was asked last year ( i have a very brief plan of domestic + int responses to transational + international crime )?
English Advanced -89
Legal Studies - 90
Business Studies -92
Economics - 92
Mathematics - 88

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #424 on: October 30, 2016, 12:43:15 pm »
Just wondering should i bother having an extensive plan on international crime since it was asked last year ( i have a very brief plan of domestic + int responses to transational + international crime )?

On the balance of probabilities you should be okay to have just done some brief planning! :)

Lottie99

• Trailblazer
  • More stressed than I seem
« Reply #425 on: October 30, 2016, 12:56:34 pm »
To score in the high A range for the options how many pieces of legislation/media articles/cases should you have per paragraph?

Essej

• Forum Regular
  • "Don't settle for good. Strive for great".
« Reply #426 on: October 30, 2016, 01:00:26 pm »
On the balance of probabilities you should be okay to have just done some brief planning! :)

Can we all just take a moment to appreciate this pun
Class of 2016
------------------------
English Advanced: 93
Legal Studies: 96
Economics: 93
Business Studies: 92
Studies of Religion (2 Unit): 93

2016 ATAR: 98.75

melprocrastinator

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #427 on: October 30, 2016, 01:17:01 pm »
Can we all just take a moment to appreciate this pun

you beat me to it, hahaha. I appreciate the pun

Elenaa

• Trailblazer
« Reply #428 on: October 30, 2016, 02:17:17 pm »
Hellooo
Just wondering (for the people doing world order as an option) what you guys think the world order essay will be on?
 :D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #429 on: October 30, 2016, 02:23:09 pm »
To score in the high A range for the options how many pieces of legislation/media articles/cases should you have per paragraph?

Hey! This is something without a single answer, because it totally depends what you do with them. A single case can be analysed in depth in a paragraph to excellent effect! That said, usually, about 3 would be a minimum, but if you want to really get into the high range then the more the better (I usually had between 4-6) :)

Deng

• Trendsetter
« Reply #430 on: October 30, 2016, 03:12:11 pm »
Hey guys, how many words is expected for a 25 marker, for example in 2015 the consumer option was very specific - NGOs/Media and the other one being regulation of marketing and advertising which are both short itself within the textbook
English Advanced -89
Legal Studies - 90
Business Studies -92
Economics - 92
Mathematics - 88

asd987

• Forum Regular
« Reply #431 on: October 30, 2016, 03:34:44 pm »
Does anyone have any information or good websites for the Kiesha Abraham case

AFix

• Trailblazer
« Reply #432 on: October 30, 2016, 03:57:13 pm »
Hey guys, how many words is expected for a 25 marker, for example in 2015 the consumer option was very specific - NGOs/Media and the other one being regulation of marketing and advertising which are both short itself within the textbook

I'd say around 900-1200

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #433 on: October 30, 2016, 03:59:37 pm »

To get into the high range, probably 750 at an absolute minimum (and you'd have to be a good writer). Usually closer to and perhaps even exceeding 1000 is better. In general, getting well into your second booklet is the goal I advise :)

Does anyone have any information or good websites for the Kiesha Abraham case

Try here!

Rd2487

• Adventurer
  • School: Glenwood High School
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #434 on: October 30, 2016, 06:50:17 pm »
Hey Jamon
Even though with my LCDMT, I still feel that I'm not making many points, at times being repetitive. Like lets say for the criminal investigation process,  I talked about investigation of crime - on how the law has taken more stricter approach for community welfare but in many instances it may conflict with individual liberties. Also talked about detention and bail. When I'm making the evaluation at the end of each paragraph, i've stated the arguments that I described through my case. But straight after i did the linking sentence in which i evaluated, then moved to next paragraph.
 So how should i expand on this generally before coming to the link.

the only thing is like I've got evidence but arguments doesn't seem to flow naturally. What do you suggest?

Thanks
« Last Edit: October 30, 2016, 07:01:47 pm by Rd2487 »