Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 23, 2024, 09:28:20 pm

Author Topic: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 571847 times)  Share 

captainclank

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: gosford high school
  • School Grad Year: 2016
Re: Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #375 on: October 27, 2016, 03:07:00 pm »
I am unsure as to what parts of the syllabus this question is drawing from, is it talking about 'alternatives to court' in young offenders and 'alternative methods of sentencing including circle sentencing, restorative justice' in Sentencing and Punishment?

To what extent are courts the only means of achieving justice within the criminal justice
system? (HSC 2012)

Also am unsure about this one.

"Explain the tension between community interests and individual rights and freedoms within the criminal justice system." (HSC 2011)

Is it drawing from the entire syllabus and focusing on the 'Themes and challenges' as it is not a very common theme?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #376 on: October 27, 2016, 03:11:11 pm »
I am unsure as to what parts of the syllabus this question is drawing from, is it talking about 'alternatives to court' in young offenders and 'alternative methods of sentencing including circle sentencing, restorative justice' in Sentencing and Punishment?

"To what extent are courts the only means of achieving justice within the criminal justice system?" (HSC 2012)

Precisely, and you could also discuss courts within that. So like, yes courts work, and heres my evidence of that, but heres some other stuff 'D

Also am unsure about this one.

"Explain the tension between community interests and individual rights and freedoms within the criminal justice system." (HSC 2011)

Is it drawing from the entire syllabus and focusing on the 'Themes and challenges' as it is not a very common theme?

Yep, so you can draw from anywhere in the Crime syllabus here (except maybe Int. Crime), it's up to you to come up with your own analysis and ideas! :)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #377 on: October 27, 2016, 03:19:57 pm »

"To what extent are courts the only means of achieving justice within the criminal justice system?" (HSC 2012)

You definitely can talk about all of the above things! You could also talk about fines and cautions - and how these can achieve justice. You're definitely correct to talk about all of the above!
That would be a very interesting question if applied to young offenders! :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

captainclank

• Adventurer
  • School: gosford high school
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #378 on: October 27, 2016, 06:06:51 pm »
Sweet thanks guys :)

Deng

• Trendsetter
« Reply #379 on: October 27, 2016, 10:53:21 pm »
Just wondering how would i best study for option topics ? Just have essay plans ?

Also what are the odds on a court achieving justice question even though odds are on young offenders ( probably my weakest area for crime and family )
English Advanced -89
Legal Studies - 90
Business Studies -92
Economics - 92
Mathematics - 88

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #380 on: October 27, 2016, 11:14:07 pm »
Just wondering how would i best study for option topics ? Just have essay plans ?

Also what are the odds on a court achieving justice question even though odds are on young offenders ( probably my weakest area for crime and family )

Essay plans/memorising legislation are all I prepared for my Options!! Just have a heap of evidence ready to go to pop on the paper to back up your arguments! ;D

Hmm, if the odds of a Young Offender question are high, the odds of a courts achieving justice question are medium to low. They asked it a few years ago, so probably won't repeat so soon :) :)

Deng

• Trendsetter
« Reply #381 on: October 27, 2016, 11:29:54 pm »
Would it be possible for you to check my scaffolds if i post em here? Not sure if i have enough detail etc also havent touched them since trials

Thanks
English Advanced -89
Legal Studies - 90
Business Studies -92
Economics - 92
Mathematics - 88

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #382 on: October 28, 2016, 10:35:34 am »
Would it be possible for you to check my scaffolds if i post em here? Not sure if i have enough detail etc also havent touched them since trials

Thanks

Absolutely!! Just post them in our essay marking thread though, you don't need to meet post count but it makes a little more sense there! :)

atar27

• Forum Regular
« Reply #383 on: October 28, 2016, 02:13:46 pm »
Hey, what are law reform essay questions should we study for the crime question?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #384 on: October 28, 2016, 02:27:17 pm »
Hey, what are law reform essay questions should we study for the crime question?

Be sure you can talk about law reform for all of the main sections of the Crime syllabus; Trial, Investigation, Sentencing, as well as Young Offenders and International. They've not asked about law reform in ages, so it's a definite candidate for any/all of these areas ;D

atar27

• Forum Regular
« Reply #385 on: October 28, 2016, 02:43:57 pm »
Be sure you can talk about law reform for all of the main sections of the Crime syllabus; Trial, Investigation, Sentencing, as well as Young Offenders and International. They've not asked about law reform in ages, so it's a definite candidate for any/all of these areas ;D

Okay Thank You :)
By the way is law reform the main theme and challenge that we should study or are there other theme and challenges that have not appeared for a while?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2016, 02:45:41 pm by atar27 »

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #386 on: October 28, 2016, 02:49:27 pm »
Okay Thank You :)
By the way is law reform the main theme and challenge that we should study or are there other theme and challenges that have not appeared for a while?

Law Reform is a big one; issues of compliance and non-compliance hasn't been asked yet but I think it is less likely. Balancing rights of offenders, victims and society is always one to watch for too :)

atar27

• Forum Regular
« Reply #387 on: October 28, 2016, 02:53:28 pm »
Okay thanks!! I just hope it's not a really specific question like the Catholic trials

hennyc

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #388 on: October 28, 2016, 05:35:17 pm »
Is it fine to not prepare LCM on small dotpoints? I've skipped these dot points but i do have general notes on them.

Criminal Investigation Process (reporting crime, summons/warrants, rights of suspects)
Criminal Trial Process (Legal representation, burden and standard of proof)
Sentencing and Punishment (types of penalties, post sentencing)
Young Offenders (Rights of children when questioned)

They wouldn't ever specify a question specifically on one of these dot points right? is it sufficient to just mention dot points together with other major dotpoints?

Thank you

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #389 on: October 28, 2016, 05:57:00 pm »
Is it fine to not prepare LCM on small dotpoints? I've skipped these dot points but i do have general notes on them.

Criminal Investigation Process (reporting crime, summons/warrants, rights of suspects)
Criminal Trial Process (Legal representation, burden and standard of proof)
Sentencing and Punishment (types of penalties, post sentencing)
Young Offenders (Rights of children when questioned)

They wouldn't ever specify a question specifically on one of these dot points right? is it sufficient to just mention dot points together with other major dotpoints?

Thank you

I definitely think it is more likely that they would ask about these dot points within a more broad question! Although, the sentencing and punishment one to me seems like it could be a question in its own - specific, but I think there is just enough there that they could ask about it. That's not to say that you couldn't draw on your ideas and notes from the other aspects of the syllabus that are nearby to this one!

So, it sounds like you've organised your study well, but it definitely is possible that they could ask about something like this...although unlikely to be so specific :) It is more likely that they'd tag it with something else, like a theme or challenge, or else with a broader section of the syllabus.
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!