Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 08:55:20 am

Author Topic: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 570905 times)  Share 

Stayz1337

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
Re: Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #315 on: October 21, 2016, 12:17:45 pm »
Hey guys, sorry not sure if this is how you're meant to ask questions on thread - kinda nooby.

Anyway, I'm good for understanding the topic and content but when it comes to the 25 markers - more so than the 15 marker crime - I really don't know like HOW MUCH to write? I can write heaps, I just don't know when this becomes too much. That doesn't sound problematic in theory, but when I study I think about - " what would I write for this question, etc" and for example (particularly with W.O where it's less LCM and more Case e.g Syria) I at times feel like I don't have enough LCM?

I know it's all varied " how long is a piece of string," but like as a rule of thumb... ? For example, responsibility to protect doctrine emerged fom 05 world summit as a response to 1994 genocide - the rest is explaining it in practice? Is thus sufficient?

TLDR; trying to prepare too much content can be my downfall - teach me what the bare minimum is to still do well :) 

« Last Edit: October 21, 2016, 12:19:45 pm by Stayz1337 »

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #316 on: October 21, 2016, 01:27:14 pm »
Hey guys, sorry not sure if this is how you're meant to ask questions on thread - kinda nooby.

Anyway, I'm good for understanding the topic and content but when it comes to the 25 markers - more so than the 15 marker crime - I really don't know like HOW MUCH to write? I can write heaps, I just don't know when this becomes too much. That doesn't sound problematic in theory, but when I study I think about - " what would I write for this question, etc" and for example (particularly with W.O where it's less LCM and more Case e.g Syria) I at times feel like I don't have enough LCM?

I know it's all varied " how long is a piece of string," but like as a rule of thumb... ? For example, responsibility to protect doctrine emerged fom 05 world summit as a response to 1994 genocide - the rest is explaining it in practice? Is thus sufficient?

TLDR; trying to prepare too much content can be my downfall - teach me what the bare minimum is to still do well :)

Hey hey! Welcome to the forums! ;D you are definitely doing the right thing ;)

Okay so normally I'd go into the "How long is a piece of string" thing here, but here is a very rough guideline. If you are aiming for the top marks (Band 6 range, and you should always be aiming high), you'd need to get fairly well into your second writing booklet. If you have small handwriting, perhaps less, but still into that second booklet. I don't think I've ever seen a strong Band 6 essay that didn't crack a second booklet; so that's where you should be aiming. That's not to say it can't happen! But getting into the second booklet would be minimum, ideally about halfway through for me (I have slightly larger than average handwriting). All of my 20/20 essays filled roughly 2 booklets, give or take half a page :)

That example you gave is the perfect level of detail in my opinion :) :)

cjrig

• Adventurer
« Reply #317 on: October 21, 2016, 01:44:34 pm »
Hey hey! Welcome to the forums! ;D you are definitely doing the right thing ;)

Okay so normally I'd go into the "How long is a piece of string" thing here, but here is a very rough guideline. If you are aiming for the top marks (Band 6 range, and you should always be aiming high), you'd need to get fairly well into your second writing booklet. If you have small handwriting, perhaps less, but still into that second booklet. I don't think I've ever seen a strong Band 6 essay that didn't crack a second booklet; so that's where you should be aiming. That's not to say it can't happen! But getting into the second booklet would be minimum, ideally about halfway through for me (I have slightly larger than average handwriting). All of my 20/20 essays filled roughly 2 booklets, give or take half a page :)

That example you gave is the perfect level of detail in my opinion :) :)

So would that be around 5-7 pages?

Lauradf36

• Trendsetter
  • "Don't rest on your laurels. Decorate with them"
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #318 on: October 21, 2016, 02:02:26 pm »
Just as a side note, remember that this doesn't work in reverse. Transnational Crime questions cannot include 'Crimes Against the International Community' ;D

Yes, I found that one out unfortunately... keen not to make that mistake again haha
ATAR: 98.85

English Adv: 94
English Ext: 47/50
Ancient history: 94
Legal studies: 94
Music I: 93
Religion II: 95

Lauradf36

• Trendsetter
  • "Don't rest on your laurels. Decorate with them"
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #319 on: October 21, 2016, 02:06:40 pm »
Another question, what did you do to make your evidence stand out? Like I normally underline cases/legislation etc, but I had another teacher suggest I highlight everything... is that even allowed??
ATAR: 98.85

English Adv: 94
English Ext: 47/50
Ancient history: 94
Legal studies: 94
Music I: 93
Religion II: 95

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #320 on: October 21, 2016, 02:30:23 pm »
Another question, what did you do to make your evidence stand out? Like I normally underline cases/legislation etc, but I had another teacher suggest I highlight everything... is that even allowed??

I think your evidence will stand out well without highlighting everything :) Underlining legislation and cases is a good idea, or even statistics and media sources if you have them. But, that's not a guaranteed way to give you extra marks. I didn't underline statistics and media sources, but I did underline legislation and cases :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #321 on: October 21, 2016, 03:11:47 pm »
So would that be around 5-7 pages?

Yep! Depending on handwriting size and style (back to that string argument again). If you are worried about writing too much, try not to exceed the second booklet. You can achieve a 20/20 in two booklets; anything in a third booklet is arguably a tad unnecessary (not a hard and fast rule) ;D

savinggrace17

• Fresh Poster
  • School: Willyama High School
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #322 on: October 21, 2016, 05:52:57 pm »
Hi guys!

Just wondering for the themes and challenge dot point of compliance and non-compliance, what would you talk about for the crime essay? I was thinking compliance with police powers and maybe incorporating bail legislation, but not sure whether that is what it asks of you. Would it require discussion about the reasons why people commit crimes etc?

angiezhang9

• Trailblazer
  • School: arden
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #323 on: October 21, 2016, 08:34:10 pm »
"The law is effective to a varying degree" is a great phrase to use! As long as you then clarify what you mean, so say when it has been effective and when it hasn't! ;D

Thanks Jamon :) So would you say for example "The law has been effective to a varying degree. It has been effective in the providing justice through juries,... but ineffective in the areas of sentencing..."

What would you say for areas such as bail which have both negative and positive aspects?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #324 on: October 21, 2016, 10:04:18 pm »
Hi guys!

Just wondering for the themes and challenge dot point of compliance and non-compliance, what would you talk about for the crime essay? I was thinking compliance with police powers and maybe incorporating bail legislation, but not sure whether that is what it asks of you. Would it require discussion about the reasons why people commit crimes etc?

I think your interpretation is pretty spot on!! ;D the factors affecting criminal behaviour would be worth a mention, but there isn't much there in my opinion, I'd be leaning more in your direction ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #325 on: October 21, 2016, 10:06:09 pm »
Thanks Jamon :) So would you say for example "The law has been effective to a varying degree. It has been effective in the providing justice through juries,... but ineffective in the areas of sentencing..."

What would you say for areas such as bail which have both negative and positive aspects?

Perfect! For Bail, you would just explain it:

While the reformed bail conditions have proven effective in ___________, it has also proved ineffective in _____________.

Then your bail paragraph becomes a mini-debate, OR you can split it into two, your call ;D

Stayz1337

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #326 on: October 23, 2016, 12:26:58 pm »
Okay great - thank you :)

So even if, for example, the question was on 'the Changing nature of parental responsibility'
- for the full 25'er, in my plans i have FLA, 1995 reform, 06 reform - conceptual criticism, no real plans, Goode V Goode Case, just in that it established no 50/50 time, and the paradox of responsibility not providing adequate care and protection where decisions are enforced not in BIC e.g Rosa V Rosa. I suppose it depends how well I can elaborate on a question?

Also, side question, someone asked about compliance and non compliance - I've semi ignored it because I VAGUELY get how to answer that but it doesn't seem beefy enough as a question theme? Would it be more integrated? In essence, is compliance just enforceability? Could you just use that as a synonym in discussion.

Essej

• Forum Regular
  • "Don't settle for good. Strive for great".
« Reply #327 on: October 23, 2016, 12:51:33 pm »

So even if, for example, the question was on 'the Changing nature of parental responsibility'
- for the full 25'er, in my plans i have FLA, 1995 reform, 06 reform - conceptual criticism, no real plans, Goode V Goode Case, just in that it established no 50/50 time, and the paradox of responsibility not providing adequate care and protection where decisions are enforced not in BIC e.g Rosa V Rosa. I suppose it depends how well I can elaborate on a question?

Also, side question, someone asked about compliance and non compliance - I've semi ignored it because I VAGUELY get how to answer that but it doesn't seem beefy enough as a question theme? Would it be more integrated? In essence, is compliance just enforceability? Could you just use that as a synonym in discussion.

That family essay structure looks spot on to me! I'd just make sure you separate your ideas clearly and have a distinct line of argument in each paragraph, your evidence is amazing!

So i went to Elyse's trial lecture and she gave some great ideas about the theme and challenge issues of compliance and non-compliance based around the notion that the Criminal Justice system exists due to noncompliance
Therefore for Noncompliance she suggested:
- Law Enforcement / Police Powers (LEPRA, Bail etc.)
- Purposes of punishment (specific deterrence - can talk about sentencing here)
- Penalties

Inversely, for encouraging compliance:
- Crime Prevention (Situational and social)
- General deterrence e.g. the new Assault and Intoxication amendment to the crimes act in 2014 as part of new one-punch laws

I think in a sense it is just enforceability, however i reckon it also refers to crime prevention, as the legal system aims for individuals to comply with legislation and therefore have a mindset opposed to criminal acts in the first place  :)
Class of 2016
------------------------
English Advanced: 93
Legal Studies: 96
Economics: 93
Business Studies: 92
Studies of Religion (2 Unit): 93

2016 ATAR: 98.75

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #328 on: October 23, 2016, 01:10:23 pm »

Sounds like that's a solid boy of evidence! If you link it well to the idea of parental responsibility and make a judgement, you'd be all set.

Compliance/non compliance is definitely something that I wouldn't expect to appear; I agree, not super beefy. That said, you could definitely talk about enforceability, or perhaps link it to the willingness of people to comply with ethical laws that reflect social standards (EG - compliance is automatic with effective law reform). But that's up to you to decide how you'd argue it ;D

itswags98

• Trailblazer
« Reply #329 on: October 23, 2016, 02:21:54 pm »
So trying to study for legal has hit me pretty hard... Im okay with content, and i know how to form arguments and all that stuff...

Problem is im dead with cases, media, legislation etc. I cant for the life of me memorise all these stuff (nor find them :( ) cause i have really bad memory. Ive tried palm cards, but they just dont work for me. I cant even get myself to memorise the dates associated with the legislation, year of articles and that type of stuff.

So my question here is how do people actually study? I know my content well. But i struggle in LCM's bit. Any suggestions?

And second question, how many LCM's should i have for Crime and my Options. How do i know where im meant to have one and where im not?!?! :(
Goal of 85 ATAR. Lets do eht