Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 16, 2024, 08:26:25 pm

Author Topic: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 570407 times)  Share 

rinagee12

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Re: Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #300 on: October 17, 2016, 03:34:15 pm »
For international law, are there any other limitations... apart from the obvious "state sovereignty"?

Many international treaties encourage cooperation between nations to stop transnational crimes (e.g. drug trafficking), some of which have been successfully intercepted.
However, other crimes such as terrorism are hard to prevent, because they usually transcend borders and are well-organised, therefore making it difficult to uncover.
Also, measures to combat terrorism may result in the infringement of human rights, such as the case of Mohamed Haneef.
International crimes such as genocide are often discovered only after they have occurred.
ATAR: 95.10

HSC 2016: English (Advanced) | English Ext 1 | Mathematics | Legal Studies |
Business Studies | Ancient History

2017: B Commerce / B Science @ UNSW

rinagee12

• Trailblazer
« Reply #301 on: October 17, 2016, 04:07:09 pm »
Can someone please explain to me what the difference is between ratifying and legislating an international document? For ages I thought ratification was agreeing to be legally bound to a document, so any human rights abuses pertaining to that treaty would be outlawed and punishable.

But in my notes it says that in Australia it's not enough to ratify a treaty - they are only binding if they are enacted into domestic law ?? I'm confused

If that's the case then why do some countries ratify documents but not legislate them? Seems a little pointless to me

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #302 on: October 17, 2016, 04:54:54 pm »
Can someone please explain to me what the difference is between ratifying and legislating an international document? For ages I thought ratification was agreeing to be legally bound to a document, so any human rights abuses pertaining to that treaty would be outlawed and punishable.

But in my notes it says that in Australia it's not enough to ratify a treaty - they are only binding if they are enacted into domestic law ?? I'm confused

If that's the case then why do some countries ratify documents but not legislate them? Seems a little pointless to me

Hey hey! So that statement is correct, and it's because Australia has a dualist legal system. What that means is that the laws we ratify aren't automatically enforceable domestically. Our international and domestic laws are not one; they are separate entities, and only domestic laws are enforceable. There are some countries where ratification makes the laws immediately enforceable (like France I believe), but that is not us. We need to actually legislate on the issue through an act of parliament to make it binding.

As to why governments ratify but don't legislate? It's lip service to the international community. "Yeah, we'll ratify this, it's all sweet, we're playing by the rules." And then they won't legislate or will not legislate to the same effect. Note that this is massively bad conduct and so doesn't happen a massive amount, but you are right! It is a little pointless :P

rinagee12

• Trailblazer
« Reply #303 on: October 17, 2016, 06:38:16 pm »
+1
Hey hey! So that statement is correct, and it's because Australia has a dualist legal system. What that means is that the laws we ratify aren't automatically enforceable domestically. Our international and domestic laws are not one; they are separate entities, and only domestic laws are enforceable. There are some countries where ratification makes the laws immediately enforceable (like France I believe), but that is not us. We need to actually legislate on the issue through an act of parliament to make it binding.

As to why governments ratify but don't legislate? It's lip service to the international community. "Yeah, we'll ratify this, it's all sweet, we're playing by the rules." And then they won't legislate or will not legislate to the same effect. Note that this is massively bad conduct and so doesn't happen a massive amount, but you are right! It is a little pointless :P

Thank you, it all makes sense now  :D

pughg16

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #304 on: October 17, 2016, 09:32:00 pm »
Sorry I know I've asked for this before, but I'm getting a little bit desperate.
Does anyone have anything they could offer about the Workplace option? I really don't know enough to go into the HSC with it.... :-[ :-\
Any tiny bit of help here would be excellent...thankyou! :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #305 on: October 17, 2016, 10:04:34 pm »
Sorry I know I've asked for this before, but I'm getting a little bit desperate.
Does anyone have anything they could offer about the Workplace option? I really don't know enough to go into the HSC with it.... :-[ :-\
Any tiny bit of help here would be excellent...thankyou! :)

I didn't do the course, but these notes are free to download in our Notes section! :)

pughg16

• Forum Regular
« Reply #306 on: October 17, 2016, 10:33:11 pm »
+1

Lauradf36

• Trendsetter
  • "Don't rest on your laurels. Decorate with them"
« Reply #307 on: October 18, 2016, 09:09:52 pm »
Is the human rights council (UN body) an IGO? For some reason I have it down in my notes as that... is this correct to your knowledge or did I make a typo, haha
ATAR: 98.85

English Adv: 94
English Ext: 47/50
Ancient history: 94
Legal studies: 94
Music I: 93
Religion II: 95

isaacdelatorre

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +74
« Reply #308 on: October 18, 2016, 09:41:33 pm »
+1
Is the human rights council (UN body) an IGO? For some reason I have it down in my notes as that... is this correct to your knowledge or did I make a typo, haha

Hey there,

"The Human Rights Council is an inter-governmental body within the United Nations system made up of 47 States responsible for the promotion and protection of all human rights around the globe."

Hope that clears things up :)

HSC 2016:   ATAR: 99+
Mathematics - 97    Economics - 96     Legal Studies - 95     Advanced English - 91    Business Studies - 95

2017: B Commerce/B Law @ UNSW  

Lauradf36

• Trendsetter
« Reply #309 on: October 18, 2016, 09:46:24 pm »
Hey there,

"The Human Rights Council is an inter-governmental body within the United Nations system made up of 47 States responsible for the promotion and protection of all human rights around the globe."

Hope that clears things up :)

Oh thank you! That was snappy :)

Lauradf36

• Trendsetter
« Reply #310 on: October 19, 2016, 01:15:40 pm »
Also in an international crime essay, can you refer to transnational crime as well? or is that completely separate?

rinagee12

• Trailblazer
« Reply #311 on: October 19, 2016, 03:36:49 pm »
Also in an international crime essay, can you refer to transnational crime as well? or is that completely separate?

Yes you can, transnational crime is one of the categories of international crime (the other of course being crimes against the international community)  :)

angiezhang9

• Trailblazer
  • School: arden
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #312 on: October 19, 2016, 08:20:42 pm »
In legal essays, when it asks for "What extent", "Assess the effectiveness..." , what should you write as your judgement if you want to talk about how the law is both effective and ineffective.

Should you write "the law is effective to a varying degree" or is that wishy washy?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #313 on: October 19, 2016, 09:56:37 pm »
Yes you can, transnational crime is one of the categories of international crime (the other of course being crimes against the international community)  :)

Just as a side note, remember that this doesn't work in reverse. Transnational Crime questions cannot include 'Crimes Against the International Community' ;D

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #314 on: October 19, 2016, 09:57:42 pm »
In legal essays, when it asks for "What extent", "Assess the effectiveness..." , what should you write as your judgement if you want to talk about how the law is both effective and ineffective.

Should you write "the law is effective to a varying degree" or is that wishy washy?

"The law is effective to a varying degree" is a great phrase to use! As long as you then clarify what you mean, so say when it has been effective and when it hasn't! ;D