Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 07:22:26 am

Author Topic: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 568081 times)  Share 

angiezhang9

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: arden
  • School Grad Year: 2016
Re: Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #255 on: September 27, 2016, 08:15:16 pm »
Hey Angie! Great question!

The answer is simply that your entire essay must re-enforce your main argument. If you started your paragraph in one way, you must carry that through, no contradictions. The answer to this is to leave room to wiggle in your topic sentences and your Thesis. Phrases like, "there are both positives and negatives that can be gleamed from _________," or, "is only somewhat effect in achieving ________." Notice how these leave me room to address both sides of the argument, because my argument is sort of neutral!

If you are looking to address two sides of something like you describe, this is my best piece of advice: Leave wiggle room when you introduce the argument in the first place. If you don't assume one specific side of the argument, then you aren't contradicting yourself ;D

Thanks Jamon! That clears things up a lot.

Do you suggest having a two-sided judgement?

If the question was "To what extent does the legal system achieve justice...?" and using the adoption example above, would your thesis/topic sentence be something like "The legal system achieves justice to a great extent through fast tracking the adoption process. However, in some cases, parents are left with a detrimental outcome"

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #256 on: September 27, 2016, 10:33:42 pm »
Thanks Jamon! That clears things up a lot.

Do you suggest having a two-sided judgement?

If the question was "To what extent does the legal system achieve justice...?" and using the adoption example above, would your thesis/topic sentence be something like "The legal system achieves justice to a great extent through fast tracking the adoption process. However, in some cases, parents are left with a detrimental outcome"

I think that sounds great!! Perhaps at some point add a sentence that brings it all together into a single judgement that sits in the middle, like, Thus, the Legal system is only partially effective in addressing _________. Shades of grey show you've considered all aspects of your topic, and give you more evidence to include ;D

anniez

• Adventurer
« Reply #257 on: September 28, 2016, 08:05:52 pm »
Hi everyone,

So I was going through some past questions for the option topics and I have a question about essay approaches.

The attached questions were the themes and challenges for family. For question b would it be better to go through one contemporary issue thoroughly (ie surrogacy and birth technologies)? Or would it be better to go through two contemporary issues? I’m just worried that if I only go through one it looks like it don’t know my stuff.

Thanks first! ☺

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #258 on: September 28, 2016, 09:49:37 pm »
Hi everyone,

So I was going through some past questions for the option topics and I have a question about essay approaches.

The attached questions were the themes and challenges for family. For question b would it be better to go through one contemporary issue thoroughly (ie surrogacy and birth technologies)? Or would it be better to go through two contemporary issues? I’m just worried that if I only go through one it looks like it don’t know my stuff.

Thanks first! ☺

This question doesn't specify that you have to use contemporary issues at all - it's just assumed that the best students will draw on these things to support their judgement! So good thinking! You have choice here: You can do one or two quite thoroughly, and dictate your response that way. Or, you can draw on things that aren't all contemporary issues, but also just other parts of the syllabus, as well as contemporary issues. I'd be more inclined to go with the second option, and talk about things like asset splitting in a divorce, but also contemporary issues like birth technologies. I prefer the second approach because I always prefer broad and thorough over intense and thorough - but both of these structures work well!
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

zachary99

• Trailblazer
« Reply #259 on: September 28, 2016, 11:35:32 pm »
+1
Hi everyone,

Thanks first! ☺

I would definitely recommend discussing more than one contemporary issue, and as Elyse mentioned you dont even have to talk about contemporary issues. Personally i would discuss 3-4 key elements of family law ( Changing morals of same sex relationships, domestic violence, surrogacy and increased care and protection of child)
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 11:37:11 pm by zachary99 »

anniez

• Adventurer
« Reply #260 on: September 29, 2016, 01:56:34 pm »
+2
Ahh okay. Thanks Elyse and Zach!

Lauradf36

• Trendsetter
  • "Don't rest on your laurels. Decorate with them"
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #261 on: October 02, 2016, 03:24:35 pm »
Can I use websites for evidence rather than laws/media/cases? e.g. the ICTY website?
ATAR: 98.85

English Adv: 94
English Ext: 47/50
Ancient history: 94
Legal studies: 94
Music I: 93
Religion II: 95

zachary99

• Trailblazer
« Reply #262 on: October 03, 2016, 06:50:47 pm »
Can I use websites for evidence rather than laws/media/cases? e.g. the ICTY website?

I would use websites like that to find relevant statistics, and information on cases.

Elenaa

• Trailblazer
« Reply #263 on: October 03, 2016, 07:52:24 pm »
Hi !
I was just wondering if anyone knows any good cases that i could use for the contemporary issue in human rights, Child soldiers?

Essej

• Forum Regular
  • "Don't settle for good. Strive for great".
« Reply #264 on: October 04, 2016, 12:50:19 am »
+1
Hi !
I was just wondering if anyone knows any good cases that i could use for the contemporary issue in human rights, Child soldiers?

Hi Elenaa!

My contemporary issue is also child soldiers so would be happy to help. Since a contemporary issue question in short answers would be worth maximum 8 marks, it isn't really necessary to prepare more than 2-3 cases. In terms of case law, I use the international criminal court cases of :

Prosecutor v. Lubanga (2012):I would prioritise this one, easy to find more points for/against effectiveness (he was the first to ever be succesfully tried and convicted by the ICC but it took 6 years for him to be sentenced)
          - more info https://www.icc-cpi.int/iccdocs/PIDS/publications/LubangaENG.pdf
Prosecutor v. Ntaganda (2014): https://www.icc-cpi.int/drc/ntaganda/pages/alleged-crimes.aspx for more info :)
Class of 2016
------------------------
English Advanced: 93
Legal Studies: 96
Economics: 93
Business Studies: 92
Studies of Religion (2 Unit): 93

2016 ATAR: 98.75

Lauradf36

• Trendsetter
« Reply #265 on: October 04, 2016, 09:42:51 am »
Do we need specific examples for world order (laws, media, cases etc) or are case studies okay to use as well?

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #266 on: October 04, 2016, 02:21:14 pm »
+1
Hi Elenaa!

My contemporary issue is also child soldiers so would be happy to help. Since a contemporary issue question in short answers would be worth maximum 8 marks, it isn't really necessary to prepare more than 2-3 cases. In terms of case law, I use the international criminal court cases of :

Prosecutor v. Lubanga (2012):I would prioritise this one, easy to find more points for/against effectiveness (he was the first to ever be succesfully tried and convicted by the ICC but it took 6 years for him to be sentenced)
          - more info https://www.icc-cpi.int/iccdocs/PIDS/publications/LubangaENG.pdf
Prosecutor v. Ntaganda (2014): https://www.icc-cpi.int/drc/ntaganda/pages/alleged-crimes.aspx for more info :)

You're a legend! Super good cases, and thanks for helping out!

Do we need specific examples for world order (laws, media, cases etc) or are case studies okay to use as well?

I'm not quite sure what you mean by this? For World Order, you'll find that specific events/cases like East Timor, or North Korea, will serve you well as giving a practical application of the international tools available. So I'd study a few of those bigger ones, but also know the tools and conventions of the world order syllabus really well. They are essentially what you will be analysing, and you're just using the cases as practical applications of those tools (whether or not they were effective). Media is also a great thing to have! If you are trying to be smart about it, I'd find some articles that give opinion on the UN and it's tools and resources, and maybe one or two for your cases, rather than trying to find news-like articles which you'll find harder to apply for something like World Order, which usually gives you a lot of freedom in your essay (unlike 2015 Crime essay).
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

Lauradf36

• Trendsetter
« Reply #267 on: October 04, 2016, 03:09:02 pm »
I'm not quite sure what you mean by this? For World Order, you'll find that specific events/cases like East Timor, or North Korea, will serve you well as giving a practical application of the international tools available. So I'd study a few of those bigger ones, but also know the tools and conventions of the world order syllabus really well. They are essentially what you will be analysing, and you're just using the cases as practical applications of those tools (whether or not they were effective). Media is also a great thing to have! If you are trying to be smart about it, I'd find some articles that give opinion on the UN and it's tools and resources, and maybe one or two for your cases, rather than trying to find news-like articles which you'll find harder to apply for something like World Order, which usually gives you a lot of freedom in your essay (unlike 2015 Crime essay).

Thanks for the tips! I meant the specific LCMT or whatever it's called - I'm using the Gulf War & asylum seekers as case studies, but the only real evidence to use is media articles - most of them don't have specific laws or court cases attached. If that makes more sense.

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #268 on: October 04, 2016, 04:30:59 pm »
Thanks for the tips! I meant the specific LCMT or whatever it's called - I'm using the Gulf War & asylum seekers as case studies, but the only real evidence to use is media articles - most of them don't have specific laws or court cases attached. If that makes more sense.

International documents will play a role here! Think treaties, bilateral agreements, etc, some of the stuff I used included:

- Rome Statute (and the corresponding domestic legislation, International Criminal Court Act 2002 ;D
- Extradition treaties
- The UN Charter

You definitely want to use these (or similar) if you can ;)

Specific cases like you would get for Crime are tougher; you could use the ICC, but it sounds like the case studies you have would work well!! ;D

isaacdelatorre

• HSC Lecturer
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +74
« Reply #269 on: October 04, 2016, 09:54:57 pm »
Hi guys,

I was wondering what your advice was in planning essays in the exam. What is the best way to make a plan? Where do I write it? How detailed should it be? etc.

As well as this, I was unsure of what evidence to put in each essay, especially when the question is very broad (i.e. a theme and challenge or something like that) in this case, how do you decide what  cases, media, laws, areas of the syllabus to talk about?

Thank you :)
HSC 2016:   ATAR: 99+
Mathematics - 97    Economics - 96     Legal Studies - 95     Advanced English - 91    Business Studies - 95

2017: B Commerce/B Law @ UNSW