Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:49:40 am

Author Topic: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 568026 times)  Share 

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #225 on: September 15, 2016, 05:56:49 pm »
+1
Hi I was just wondering how many pieces of evidence (legislation, cases, media articles, reports etc.) would you recommend per option essay. Thanks  :)

Hey Miki! Welcome to the forums! Be sure to let me know if you need any help finding anything ;D

That's a complicated question, because it totally depends what you do with each one. Like, you could analyse one case really well for a whole paragraph, and thats just as good (and sometimes better) than someone who uses a range of cases to prove the same point. Totally depends on how you approach it! :)

That said, given a reasonable level of detail in each example, I'd be aiming for at least a dozen solid examples, each analysed and linked to your argument in a sentence or two, if you want to maximise your chances of getting a high mark. This might be split into 3 paragraphs with 4 each, or maybe 4 paragraphs with 3 each, however best suits you! If you go into a little more detail, drop the number a tad, it's always quality over quantity ;D

EmileeSmith

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #226 on: September 17, 2016, 04:40:52 pm »
can we make up articles from SMH, because that's what I did in my trials but not sure if they realised

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #227 on: September 17, 2016, 05:05:10 pm »
can we make up articles from SMH, because that's what I did in my trials but not sure if they realised

Just like in Business Studies, you run the risk of the marker realising that you made something up, and losing all credibility! And indeed, Legal markers are good at catching you ;) You are much better off using real articles; all evidence in any HSC essay should be real (making up evidence is in general, poor practice) :)

Lauradf36

• Trendsetter
  • "Don't rest on your laurels. Decorate with them"
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #228 on: September 17, 2016, 10:51:25 pm »
World order Q - can you use the acronym "R2P" for Responsibility To Protect after the first time, or is that too colloquial? (On another note, try handwriting "responsibilities" fast. See if it looks like English 😂)
ATAR: 98.85

English Adv: 94
English Ext: 47/50
Ancient history: 94
Legal studies: 94
Music I: 93
Religion II: 95

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #229 on: September 17, 2016, 10:53:45 pm »
World order Q - can you use the acronym "R2P" for Responsibility To Protect after the first time, or is that too colloquial? (On another note, try handwriting "responsibilities" fast. See if it looks like English 😂)

Hey! Yes, you definitely can, I personally wasn't an acronym-er but I've seen it in other exemplars, definitely acceptable after using it in full at least once ;D and maybe revert to proper phrasing in the conclusion? Just a personal preference ;D

PS - I know your pain ;)

EmileeSmith

• Forum Regular
« Reply #230 on: September 20, 2016, 05:47:35 pm »
do we have to know the history of the development of human rights

conic curve

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #231 on: September 20, 2016, 06:17:47 pm »

If it's in the syllabus yes, if it's not in the syllabus then no

EmileeSmith

• Forum Regular
« Reply #232 on: September 20, 2016, 06:26:32 pm »
What does legal binding mean

conic curve

• Forum Leader
« Reply #233 on: September 20, 2016, 06:28:08 pm »
What does legal binding mean

Common legal phrase indicating that an agreement has been consciously made, and certain actions are now either required or prohibited. For example, a lease for an apartment is legally binding, because upon signing the document, the lessor and the lessee are agreeing to a number of conditions.

EmileeSmith

• Forum Regular
« Reply #234 on: September 20, 2016, 06:29:55 pm »

If it's in the syllabus yes, if it's not in the syllabus then no

It is stated in the syllabus but do we need to know extensive detail about each development ?

conic curve

• Forum Leader
« Reply #235 on: September 20, 2016, 06:30:48 pm »
It is stated in the syllabus but do we need to know extensive detail about each development ?

I guess the more the better

EmileeSmith

• Forum Regular
« Reply #236 on: September 20, 2016, 07:49:08 pm »
im looking at my textbook and the notes that I received from a lecture and I want to ask
is equality between men and women under ICCPR or ICESCR ?
the textbook and the notes say different things

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #237 on: September 20, 2016, 09:02:26 pm »
im looking at my textbook and the notes that I received from a lecture and I want to ask

The following comes from ICESCR:
Article 3
The States Parties to the present Covenant undertake to ensure the equal right of men and women to the enjoyment of all economic, social and cultural rights set forth in the present Covenant.

Article 7
(i) Fair wages and equal remuneration for work of equal value without distinction of any kind, in particular women being guaranteed conditions of work not inferior to those enjoyed by men, with equal pay for equal work;

This comes from ICCPR:
Article 3
The States Parties to the present Covenant undertake to ensure the equal right of men and women to the enjoyment of all civil and political rights set forth in the present Covenant.

Equality in different ways is acknowledged in both.
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #238 on: September 20, 2016, 09:07:42 pm »

Yep! There is usually a question on it in the short answer section (a few dot points on each development) ;D

Equality for men and women is under the ICESCR! ;D

Article 3: The States Parties to the present Covenant undertake to ensure the equal right of men and women to the enjoyment of all economic, social and cultural rights set forth in the present Covenant.

It also appears in ICCPR, both are acceptable (see Elyse's post) ;D

I guess the more the better

Definitely not always the case! Legal Studies is a subject where being clever with what you cover can do wonders for your workload and your exam performance (EG - parts of the Family Option can be done with literally two sentences per dot point) ;D

EmileeSmith

• Forum Regular
« Reply #239 on: September 20, 2016, 09:22:34 pm »
ohh thanks both

and also for a question that says “With reference to one contemporary human rights issue, explain the role of state sovereignty in enforcing human rights” can we just talk about domestic responses or does it have to be like any international state sovereignty?