Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 30, 2024, 12:26:42 am

Author Topic: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 568173 times)  Share 

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #195 on: August 15, 2016, 12:22:07 pm »
Guys do you think excel legal studies is worth using?

The only Excel books I ever had were Studies of Religion (which I got for free from a friend) and Mathematics. The Mathematics one I mostly bought for the nifty palm cards that came with it, I use it for tutoring 2U now, but at the time wasn't super useful. Studies of Religion came in handy for a few times I missed classes/needed assignment sources. I never used either on routine, mostly because they were too bloody long. They felt like a textbook, and I already had those.

So I guess I'm not a huge fan of the Excel study guides, but yeah! Those sorts of books are cool for Legal, mostly for the examples they give, it's really handy for making your research a lot easier. I personally think the ATAR Notes Legal Studies Notes (written by Elyse) are way better though. Far more concise and easier to study from, with a heap of relevant examples (only written this year) ;D

But yeah, those sorts of resources are handy to have for a subject like Legal, makes research and synthesis a lot easier ;D

mfjw

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #196 on: August 15, 2016, 07:44:05 pm »
Hi Legal Studies nerds!

I have a question that my Legal class has been discussing quite a lot recently, especially as the Olympics are on at the moment:
In a team sport/relay, if one member gets caught for doping, is the whole team then disqualified, or stripped of their medals if it's after the event?

conic curve

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #197 on: August 15, 2016, 08:00:13 pm »
Do you guys think that Australia is a safer place after the mandatory Howard buyback scheme (under the gun law reform)?

I can't really think of anything other than that it has reduced the amount of deaths and massacres in Australia. Also keeps kids safe from guns

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #198 on: August 15, 2016, 08:57:09 pm »
Hi Legal Studies nerds!

I have a question that my Legal class has been discussing quite a lot recently, especially as the Olympics are on at the moment:
In a team sport/relay, if one member gets caught for doping, is the whole team then disqualified, or stripped of their medals if it's after the event?

This is my personal opinion (not sure where the actual Olympics stands on this?) but, I think if the team has played/relayed, and then it is found after that a single person or several people were doped, then I think it is only fair to the opposing team(s) that the medal be stripped and awarded to the opposing team. On a talent level, the relay could have been won by just a second, and that second could have been produced by the doped athlete - thus the talent of the natural is overlooked. On an ethics level, I think it is also only fair to strip a medal in the effort of encouraging fair play. However, if they team has not yet played/relayed, then I think the doped individual should be removed and replaced, so that the other players found to not be doped won't be punished! I mean, they'd be punished because a team mate it missing and replaced by a player of probably less skill, but at least it doesn't prevent the hard and fair workers from getting their moment in Rio.

What do you think? :)
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #199 on: August 15, 2016, 09:01:24 pm »
Do you guys think that Australia is a safer place after the mandatory Howard buyback scheme (under the gun law reform)?

I can't really think of anything other than that it has reduced the amount of deaths and massacres in Australia. Also keeps kids safe from guns

I think the statistics that prove lower gun accidents as well as massacres and individual homicides is evidence enough in my opinion. On a social level, it removes this kind of defensiveness that causes division between groups. We promote a healthier culture of diplomacy and security this way - in my opinion! I don't like guns in general. I don't like action movies, so there's half the gun appeal gone.
In comparison to America, our situation with gun buy back was simpler, because the right to bear and keep arms wasn't in our Constitution  and so deeply engrained in particular states in our nation, unlike America.
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

Lauradf36

• Trendsetter
  • "Don't rest on your laurels. Decorate with them"
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #200 on: August 22, 2016, 08:59:30 pm »
Human rights Q - what rights are breached by the use of child soldiers? :/
ATAR: 98.85

English Adv: 94
English Ext: 47/50
Ancient history: 94
Legal studies: 94
Music I: 93
Religion II: 95

anotherworld2b

• Forum Leader
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #201 on: August 23, 2016, 06:14:58 pm »
I wanted to ask for the legal essay marking can reports be marked as well?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #202 on: August 23, 2016, 08:06:44 pm »
Human rights Q - what rights are breached by the use of child soldiers? :/

Hey! With reference to the UDHR (you could cross reference to the ICCPR/ICESCR pretty easily):

- Article 3
- Article 4
- Article 12
- Article 13
- Article 20
- Article 24
- Article 25
- Article 26

Some of these might be a bit more relevant than others; but that's a good list ;D it's a lot, aha! :)

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #203 on: August 23, 2016, 08:11:10 pm »
+1
I wanted to ask for the legal essay marking can reports be marked as well?

Sure! Why not, obviously our feedback for assignments will be very general (All My Own Work, after all) ;D

Actually, you aren't HSC, you might not get that joke... ;)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 08:33:49 pm by jamonwindeyer »

Christianbro21

• Fresh Poster
  • School: All saints
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #204 on: August 26, 2016, 02:24:38 pm »
Hi Elyse:)
Thank you for uploading the themes and challenges page :)

What agruments can i make with the themes and challenges "law reform".
Also what cases and legislations can i include for law reform.

Thank again :)
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 06:00:11 pm by Christianbro21 »

melprocrastinator

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #205 on: August 26, 2016, 05:19:56 pm »
Thank you for uploading the themes and challenges page. :)

where is the "themes and challenges" page?

Essej

• Forum Regular
  • "Don't settle for good. Strive for great".
« Reply #206 on: August 26, 2016, 06:52:45 pm »
+1
Thank you for uploading the themes and challenges page :)

Hi Christian!

Law Reform is a very broad theme and challenge - applicable to all topics in our hsc course (depending on electives of course). I assume you're talking about crime however and it is very possible that a hsc question could specifically zone in on law reform; i would wager that this would be on one subheading though e.g. trial, investigation processes / young offenders.

Generally from what i've seen questions focus on evaluating the role of law reform or its effectiveness in achieving justice. Thus, you may wish to structure a response around reforms to certain aspects of the crime syllabus and how they achieve justice for the victim/offender/society. In most essays you will be required to make a judgement on how effective this reform is. A popular method to do this is to take both sides (as most good essays do) in condemning the nature of law reform as only responsive to certain events that violate human rights. Remember that the law is a reflection of societal values (linked with another theme and challenge) and therefore is contextually limited - you may need to refer to the circumstances surrounding reforms e.g. patriarchal values so the marker fully understands the purposes and influences upon such changes.

Some examples
R v. Skaf (2004) - this was on elyse's slides and resulted in reforms to aggravated sexual assault in company
R v. Loveridge (2013) - One punch law case that resulted in mandatory sentencing as set out in the Crimes Amendment (Assault/Intoxication) Act 2014
The various amendments to the Bail Act - the 2007 amendment regarding presumption against bail for domestic violence offenders (in response to the case of Trish Van Koeverden) and the 2013 Amendment (in response to the rise in terrorism) which created an unacceptable risk test to protect the societal right to safety.

Hope this helps  ;D

Class of 2016
------------------------
English Advanced: 93
Legal Studies: 96
Economics: 93
Business Studies: 92
Studies of Religion (2 Unit): 93

2016 ATAR: 98.75

Happy Physics Land

• ATAR Notes Legend
  • Forum Obsessive
  • MAXIMISE your marks by MINIMISING your errors
  • Respect: +38
« Reply #207 on: August 26, 2016, 07:33:35 pm »
+1
Hi Christian!

Law Reform is a very broad theme and challenge - applicable to all topics in our hsc course (depending on electives of course). I assume you're talking about crime however and it is very possible that a hsc question could specifically zone in on law reform; i would wager that this would be on one subheading though e.g. trial, investigation processes / young offenders.

Generally from what i've seen questions focus on evaluating the role of law reform or its effectiveness in achieving justice. Thus, you may wish to structure a response around reforms to certain aspects of the crime syllabus and how they achieve justice for the victim/offender/society. In most essays you will be required to make a judgement on how effective this reform is. A popular method to do this is to take both sides (as most good essays do) in condemning the nature of law reform as only responsive to certain events that violate human rights. Remember that the law is a reflection of societal values (linked with another theme and challenge) and therefore is contextually limited - you may need to refer to the circumstances surrounding reforms e.g. patriarchal values so the marker fully understands the purposes and influences upon such changes.

Some examples
R v. Skaf (2004) - this was on elyse's slides and resulted in reforms to aggravated sexual assault in company
R v. Loveridge (2013) - One punch law case that resulted in mandatory sentencing as set out in the Crimes Amendment (Assault/Intoxication) Act 2014
The various amendments to the Bail Act - the 2007 amendment regarding presumption against bail for domestic violence offenders (in response to the case of Trish Van Koeverden) and the 2013 Amendment (in response to the rise in terrorism) which created an unacceptable risk test to protect the societal right to safety.

Hope this helps  ;D

Yeah I totally agree with what essej can written above. His response is actually very insightful coming from 1st place in legal studies.
Mathematics: 96
Maths Extension 2: 93
Maths Extension 1: 97
English Advanced: 92
Physics: 95
Chemistry: 92
Engineering Studies: 90
Studies of Religion I: 98

2017 ATAR: 99.70
University of Sydney Civil Engineering and Commerce
University of Sydney Faculty of Civil Engineering Scholar
Student Representatives Council Student Housing Officer
City of Sydney Council Sydney Ambassador
University of Sydney Business School Student Mentor
Entrepreneur, Company of Year Junior Achievements Australia

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #208 on: August 26, 2016, 10:15:01 pm »
+1
Yeah I totally agree with what essej can written above. His response is actually very insightful coming from 1st place in legal studies.

Obvious plug is obvious ;)

aoife98

• Trailblazer
  • School: Bethlehem College
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #209 on: August 28, 2016, 03:53:35 pm »
Can someone explain statutory and judicial guidelines? I looked it up and found heaps of confusing discussion over new reforms?
cheers x