Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:42:11 am

Author Topic: HSC Legal Studies Question Thread  (Read 568033 times)  Share 

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
Re: Legal Studies Question Thread
« Reply #75 on: June 25, 2016, 10:59:09 pm »
Hi Elyse,
I was just wondering if you had any advice on helping me catch up on a lot of missed work. I have been off school for nearly a term and have obviously been bombarded with work upon my return- especially in legal studies. Any tips on ways to zero in on the most crucial points would be great :)
Thanks, Tianna

Hey Tianna!! I think for Legal it totally depends on the topic. For Crime, there is no shortcuts, the Multiple Choice section can be gnarly so you really must know it all  >:( Ditto for human rights, the content is important, so there might not be as much of a shortcut available there unfortunately.

The Options, however, are completely different. You are only assessed with an essay, and those essays test your ability to present an argument. So, you don't need detailed content knowledge (though this is a plus if you can get this too), like for Family I barely remembered any of the details of the adoption process, specifics of Divorce, etc. What you need for the Options is, literally, just ammunition. Stuff you can use in essays to prove whatever argument you are making!! Normally, this falls into the latter dot point of the option.

So, if I were you, I'd be focusing on developing a bank of LCTMR (Laws, Cases, Treaties, Reports, Media) to use in essays. Use past papers to check that you are covering all of your avenues, can you answer every question with your knowledge? Then for Crime and HR, just focus on revising each syllabus dot point in a very concise but thorough way. Make flash cards, use some of our free notes to fill in content gaps, and above all, just work as hard as you can. Don't let being behind frazzle you, trust me, if you put in the effort you will absolutely catch up  :D

What options has your school chosen? I've recently re-discovered some summary sheets I had for World Order and Family, if you do either or both of them I'll be sure to link them to you once I've uploaded them to the site  ;D

itswags98

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #76 on: June 26, 2016, 12:24:22 am »
Hiya! Im back.... with some need for help. Ahaha
Ive completed A and B part of my assignment... just looking for some feedback of where you think i might be able to improve. Im gonna list them in a spoiler so it doesnt clog the post up!
Spoiler
A)   Outline the role of the Family Court in Australia’s Legal System
The role of the Family Court of Australia is to deal with complex family law matters such as parenting cases which involve multiple parties, allegations of abuse, child welfare agencies and complex financial matters such as the division of property. The Family Court of Australia and the Federal Circuit Court of Australia cover all family law cases from every state except Western Australia. The main purpose of these courts is to provide dispute resolution methods in the form of counselling, mediation and conciliation to help individuals settle their differences and to create an agreement over different issues such as maintenance, property division and the care of children. When a judgement is being made, the best interests of children will be put first and foremost.
B)   Identify and Describe ONE Case that has been heard in the Family Court of Australia.
Case: Re Mark (2003) 31 Fam LR 162
Mark is a one year old child conceived by Mr. X and Mr. Y through a commercial surrogacy arrangement in the United States. The surrogate mother, Mrs. S carried an agreement that she will carry an embryo created from a donor egg harvested from an anonymous donor and sperm retrieved from Mr. X and then the embryo transferred to her womb by an IVF physician with no desire to have any parental responsibility to the child born from the surrogate agreement and that Mr. X and Mr. Y shall be the parents of any child born pursuant to the surrogate agreement. When Mark was born on the 31 May 2002, Mr. X was listed as the child’s genetic father on the birth certificate. On 10 June 2002 Mr. X and Mr. Y returned with Mark to their home in Melbourne and Mark was registered as an Australian Citizen on the 27th of June 2002. On 11 November 2002, Mr. X and Mr. Y applied to the family court for parental responsibility of Mark. The family court granted Mr. X and Mr. Y shared parental responsibility through a consent order with the Judge, Justice Brown stating that Section 65C of the Family Law Act 1975 provides that either or both of the child’s parents, the child, him or herself, a grandparent of a child, or any other person concerned with the care, welfare and development of the child may apply for a parenting order. Because the male homosexual couple had the ‘best interests’ of Mark at heart and because S.69R of the Family Law Act 1975 states that whomever is listed on the birth certificate is assumed to be a parent, Mr. X and Mr. Y were granted parental responsibility and the birth mother, Mrs. S did not contest the application.
All the help would truly be appreciated! Thanks :3
Goal of 85 ATAR. Lets do eht

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #77 on: June 26, 2016, 12:02:08 pm »
Hi Elyse,
I was just wondering if you had any advice on helping me catch up on a lot of missed work. I have been off school for nearly a term and have obviously been bombarded with work upon my return- especially in legal studies. Any tips on ways to zero in on the most crucial points would be great :)
Thanks, Tianna
Jamon's helped out a bunch already, but I suggest focusing on:
1. Getting some awesome case studies. Pulling together some cases that are really universal, tick a bunch of boxes, can be applied anywhere!
2. Organising a list of the legislation that is most important to you as a legal student! Stick these around your house (bathroom mirror, dressing table, etc) and make sure they stick in your head. This is part of the ammunition Jamon was talking about, because without this legislation you can't back up your awesome ideas with a solid foundation of legislation.

Being on ATAR Notes certainly puts you ahead of the game, because you're asking questions and asking for feedback, so you're already peddling at full speed ahead!
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #78 on: June 26, 2016, 05:49:04 pm »
Hiya! Im back.... with some need for help. Ahaha
Ive completed A and B part of my assignment... just looking for some feedback of where you think i might be able to improve. Im gonna list them in a spoiler so it doesnt clog the post up!
All the help would truly be appreciated! Thanks :3

Hey there itswags98! Happy to give some feedback on those quick responses  ;D

First Question:
Spoiler
The role of the Family Court of Australia is to deal with complex family law matters such as parenting cases which involve multiple parties, allegations of abuse, child welfare agencies and complex financial matters such as the division of property. The Family Court of Australia and the Federal Circuit Court of Australia cover all family law cases from every state except Western Australia. The main purpose of these courts is to provide dispute resolution methods in the form of counselling, mediation and conciliation to help individuals settle their differences and to create an agreement over different issues such as maintenance, property division and the care of children. When a judgement is being made, the best interests of children will be put first and foremost.

I think this works effectively as an outline! It covers the main points very well and definitely gives most relevant details. The only thing I'd perhaps add is that it was established by the Family Law Act 1975, but besides that, no big omissions that I can see  ;D

Second Question:
Spoiler
B)   Identify and Describe ONE Case that has been heard in the Family Court of Australia.
Mark is a one year old child conceived by Mr. X and Mr. Y through a commercial surrogacy arrangement in the United States. The surrogate mother, Mrs. S carried an agreement that she will carry an embryo created from a donor egg harvested from an anonymous donor and sperm retrieved from Mr. X and then the embryo transferred to her womb by an IVF physician with no desire to have any parental responsibility to the child born from the surrogate agreement and that Mr. X and Mr. Y shall be the parents of any child born pursuant to the surrogate agreement. When Mark was born on the 31 May 2002, Mr. X was listed as the child’s genetic father on the birth certificate. On 10 June 2002 Mr. X and Mr. Y returned with Mark to their home in Melbourne and Mark was registered as an Australian Citizen on the 27th of June 2002. On 11 November 2002, Mr. X and Mr. Y applied to the family court for parental responsibility of Mark. The family court granted Mr. X and Mr. Y shared parental responsibility through a consent order with the Judge, Justice Brown stating that Section 65C of the Family Law Act 1975 provides that either or both of the child’s parents, the child, him or herself, a grandparent of a child, or any other person concerned with the care, welfare and development of the child may apply for a parenting order. Because the male homosexual couple had the ‘best interests’ of Mark at heart and because S.69R of the Family Law Act 1975 states that whomever is listed on the birth certificate is assumed to be a parent, Mr. X and Mr. Y were granted parental responsibility and the birth mother, Mrs. S did not contest the application.

Again, I think this works well! The case has been identified and you delve into the main details quite well, you could perhaps even make the description of the case details a little more succinct? Then, do some extra stuff with the judgement itself, go into a bit more detail about why this judgement was made. Was there a precedent? If not, has this now set a precedent for other cases?

On the whole though I think both questions are well answered!! They are both fairly low-order questions, and you've not gone overboard with either of them, just given what the question requires, very effective and efficient  ;D great work!!  :)

itswags98

• Trailblazer
« Reply #79 on: June 26, 2016, 07:54:46 pm »
+1
Hey there itswags98! Happy to give some feedback on those quick responses  ;D

First Question:
Spoiler

I think this works effectively as an outline! It covers the main points very well and definitely gives most relevant details. The only thing I'd perhaps add is that it was established by the Family Law Act 1975, but besides that, no big omissions that I can see  ;D

Second Question:
Spoiler

Again, I think this works well! The case has been identified and you delve into the main details quite well, you could perhaps even make the description of the case details a little more succinct? Then, do some extra stuff with the judgement itself, go into a bit more detail about why this judgement was made. Was there a precedent? If not, has this now set a precedent for other cases?

On the whole though I think both questions are well answered!! They are both fairly low-order questions, and you've not gone overboard with either of them, just given what the question requires, very effective and efficient  ;D great work!!  :)

Very appreciated! :3
Goal of 85 ATAR. Lets do eht

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #80 on: July 07, 2016, 01:28:01 am »
Hi Elyse,
Thanks, Tianna

Hey again Tianna! Just a heads up that I just uploaded a whole bunch of new FREE resources for Legal Studies that might be useful to you or anyone interested, enjoy!  ;D

conic curve

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #81 on: July 07, 2016, 02:35:31 pm »
How does one do well in a subject like Legal studies where a lot of the content is rote learn?

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #82 on: July 07, 2016, 02:40:13 pm »
How does one do well in a subject like Legal studies where a lot of the content is rote learn?

Hey conic! It totally is up to you to find a study method that works well for memorising content. Study notes are great (we have lots of free ones obviously, but you can also do things like make flash cards, record yourself saying the notes, there are lots of things you can do to make the content stick! You should also read this article I wrote on some creative ways to study for the subject.

You should also keep in mind that content knowledge isn't the only thing necessary for Legal Studies success; you also need essay writing skills, strong arguments, and critical opinion. You should devote some study time to those things as well, and the best method is practice, practice practice!

conic curve

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #83 on: July 07, 2016, 07:54:03 pm »
Hey conic! It totally is up to you to find a study method that works well for memorising content. Study notes are great (we have lots of free ones obviously, but you can also do things like make flash cards, record yourself saying the notes, there are lots of things you can do to make the content stick! You should also read this article I wrote on some creative ways to study for the subject.

You should also keep in mind that content knowledge isn't the only thing necessary for Legal Studies success; you also need essay writing skills, strong arguments, and critical opinion. You should devote some study time to those things as well, and the best method is practice, practice practice!

Thanks  :D

shazzzzzz

• Trailblazer
« Reply #84 on: July 12, 2016, 11:52:35 am »
So i have a Legal Studies assignment and it has to do with Human Right but we haven't started the topic and its an assignment we have to do over the holidays but I'm having trouble with some of the questions so could you help me out?

1. Describe a contemporary domestic or international human right issue, and outline TWO human rights that are breach regarding the issue - 5 marks. They provided us with options, you had to choose one, I chose chose asylum seekers but treatment of refugees was also a separate option and you can't talk about one without the other, I wanted to relate it to Australia's detention centers on Nauru etc so which issue would better suit that?

My other problem is how do I describe the issue of asylum seekers, what do I say? Would saying that 'asylum seekers are an issue as they pose security risks to Australia but their detaining breaches their human rights' be right?

2. a - Compare the domestic and international responses - 5 marks
I wanted to compare the domestic legal and non-legal response with the international non-legal/legal responses, would that be right and with comparing I would just describe what the domestic responses are and how they are similar or different to the international responses, yes?

b - Evaluate the effectiveness of the non-legal and legal responses in promoting and enforcing human rights - 10 marks
In this part i'm just saying 'the responses are effective because they acknowledge and enforce human rights and they are ineffective because they breach human rights etc.' right?

I would absolutely appreciate if you could tell me if i'm on the right path and if i'm not could you give me some direction, maybe what you would do , thank you so much!!

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #85 on: July 12, 2016, 09:03:55 pm »
So i have a Legal Studies assignment and it has to do with Human Right but we haven't started the topic and its an assignment we have to do over the holidays but I'm having trouble with some of the questions so could you help me out?

1. Describe a contemporary domestic or international human right issue, and outline TWO human rights that are breach regarding the issue - 5 marks. They provided us with options, you had to choose one, I chose chose asylum seekers but treatment of refugees was also a separate option and you can't talk about one without the other, I wanted to relate it to Australia's detention centers on Nauru etc so which issue would better suit that?

My other problem is how do I describe the issue of asylum seekers, what do I say? Would saying that 'asylum seekers are an issue as they pose security risks to Australia but their detaining breaches their human rights' be right?

Happy to help!! It seems strange that they'd put Refugees/Asylum Seekers as separate options, the definitions of each are practically identical. Both relate really nicely to the Australian detention centres such as the one in Nauru, so both definitely work for that. Really, I think the topics are pretty identical besides the term used to describe them!

You are pretty much on the money, describe WHY the issue is at play in the first place. So, yes, mention things like Australian cultural shifts towards anti-multiculturalism as a contributing factor, and then obviously play that off against human rights. You may also want to bring in the legislation involved.

2. a - Compare the domestic and international responses - 5 marks
I wanted to compare the domestic legal and non-legal response with the international non-legal/legal responses, would that be right and with comparing I would just describe what the domestic responses are and how they are similar or different to the international responses, yes?

Absolutely, and reference WHY one might be more effective than the other  ;D

b - Evaluate the effectiveness of the non-legal and legal responses in promoting and enforcing human rights - 10 marks
In this part i'm just saying 'the responses are effective because they acknowledge and enforce human rights and they are ineffective because they breach human rights etc.' right?

I would absolutely appreciate if you could tell me if i'm on the right path and if i'm not could you give me some direction, maybe what you would do , thank you so much!!

You are on the right track for sure!! Be creative with this though, like you can do some tricky stuff. Think about the UN as a response: It's great as a promotional mechanism through the General Assembly, with almost every nation participating in active discussion. However, it's enforceability is limited by state sovereignty. Here, I've said it's good at some things but not others. You've absolutely got the right idea, but be creative: Take every response and think what it does well, and what it can do better  :)

Hope this helps!!

sophiek_

• Fresh Poster
  • School: alexandria park community school
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #86 on: July 13, 2016, 08:45:22 pm »
+1
hey!
I was wondering if someone could clarify what Elyse meant today in the legal lecture when she said Australia wasn't bound by CROC? I found this link https://www.humanrights.gov.au/publications/australias-commitment-childrens-rights-and-reporting-un that seems to imply that Australia is bound by CROC and it kind of threw me
thank you!!

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #87 on: July 14, 2016, 10:45:23 am »
+1
hey!
I was wondering if someone could clarify what Elyse meant today in the legal lecture when she said Australia wasn't bound by CROC? I found this link https://www.humanrights.gov.au/publications/australias-commitment-childrens-rights-and-reporting-un that seems to imply that Australia is bound by CROC and it kind of threw me
thank you!!

Thank you for clarifying this, I really appreciate you clearing up something that was confusing! I really didn't explain this clearly enough. Australia has signed and ratified CROC but has some reservations, which is what I was referring to with young offenders in mind.

Here is the reservation:

Reservation:

"Australia accepts the general principles of article 37.  In relation to the second sentence of paragraph (c), the obligation to separate children from adults in prison is accepted only to the extent that such imprisonment is considered by the responsible authorities to be feasible and consistent with the obligation that children be able to maintain contact with their families, having regard to the geography and demography of Australia.  Australia, therefore, ratifies the Convention to the extent that it is unable to comply with the obligation imposed by article 37 (c)."
The source for that is here!

So sorry that I wasn't clear. It is also possible that I accidentally mixed up Australia and America in making a comparison. America has definitely not ratified CROC. Again, so sorry, but also, thanks for coming out and asking!
Let me know if this needs clarifying!
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

bethtyso

• Adventurer
  • School: St Francis De Sales Regional College
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #88 on: July 14, 2016, 02:38:00 pm »
Hi Elyse, we are now fast approaching trials and i have noticed that the legal studies multiple choice in past papers are all very tricky.  i was just wondering when you answer multiple choice do you have a process in answering them?
Thanks

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
« Reply #89 on: July 14, 2016, 02:49:03 pm »
Hi Elyse, we are now fast approaching trials and i have noticed that the legal studies multiple choice in past papers are all very tricky.  i was just wondering when you answer multiple choice do you have a process in answering them?
Thanks

Hey there, welcome to the forums!!  ;D I totally agree with you, they can be really nasty. Multiple Choice really messes with me for subjects like Legal.

For me, the best way to go is process of elimination. Almost always, there are two answers that are not even close to the real answer, and then two that are close. By eliminating the two "distractors," you make your odds 50/50 of getting it correct, which is good odds if you aren't sure!!

I always answer multiple choice questions by eliminating 3 incorrect answers, not picking a single correct one.

Beyond this, be sure to read every question carefully and be sure you have absorbed every bit of information. Use highlighters/underline if it helps you! It is easy to misinterpret under pressure  ;D

I hope this helps!!  ;D ps - let me know if you need any help finding anything around the forums!