Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 23, 2024, 10:08:20 pm

Author Topic: choosing my subjects!!  (Read 760 times)

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
choosing my subjects!!
« on: August 07, 2019, 07:35:30 pm »
+3
hello hello everyone,
i'm a year ten who is really struggling to choose my subjects next year. i have a week from tomorrow.

so far, i'm a bit unsure because a lot of teachers are encouraging me to choose their subject, and i don't actually know what i'll really enjoy and what would genuinely be a good choice. i went to the careers night at school tonight (walked in fairly certain, walked out a bit more confused than i began). i have an interview with the career adviser tomorrow morning (a compulsory thing), but hopefully that should help.

i am only allowed to do one 3/4, because of the school rules. i have completed 1/2 bio and 1/2 religion and society this year so i could continue with either of those. my maths teacher has also floated the idea of doing 3/4 further (as i've been working through general in my free time). my hums teacher wants me to skip 1/2 global and go straight to 3/4 next year. my food tech teacher really wants me to do 3/4 food. so basically, i'm really torn.

atm i'm thinking:
- 3/4 bio
- 1/2 chem
- 1/2 methods
- 1/2 english
- 1/2 spesh
- 1/2 food

i don't know if i should pick something instead of food tech (global politics, lit or drama) or else if i should do literature instead of english.
i enjoy hums and science equally, and i love public speaking (hence english instead of lit).
i also plan to do VCEPlus (latrobe's uni enhansement) in year 12, so i don't actually need my last subject to be something i want to continue with.

any advice would be appreciated!

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
Re: choosing my subjects!!
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 07:44:55 pm »
+4
You should do biology because life is amazing and everyone should be biologists

I think you should stick with what you think. Unfortunately the people who know your academics best are biased because they want you in their areas but what you've presented looks pretty balanced and has the prereqs for a lot of courses (leaving your options more open for higher ed) + it's what you came up with. You should probably trust yourself.

On a sidenote, I also love public speaking (used to do it competitively through DECV :) ) and literature does also have an oral. The only English subject which doesn't have an oral presentation is English language BUT in Eng Lang you learn to analyse transcripts of speeches and get to examine the use of tone & volume emphasis, speech structure etc.
TLDR; English might be right for you but I wouldn't recommend making that decision based on the oral presentation component

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2019, 05:10:28 pm »
+2
How did your session with the careers adviser go? What are your thoughts at the moment?

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2019, 05:25:18 pm »
+4
How did your session with the careers adviser go? What are your thoughts at the moment?

It went really well. I ended up deciding to do literature although I had originally planned to do english. Apart from that, I kept my preferences the same, but there is a high probability my school won't run a food tech class, so I may end up doing english or global.

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2019, 06:31:19 pm »
Okay guys, I've been thinking, I kind of hate the idea of doing spec. Should I try to pull out now, or should I give orientation a try first?

I think that the pressure my maths teacher is putting on me this year is not helping, so I don't know if I will feel differently at the end of the year when I know I won't have to have her teach me again.