Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 25, 2024, 01:54:24 am

Author Topic: Stressing! Don’t know if I should drop a 3/4 subject in year 11 next year  (Read 1129 times)

Kumar50

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
I’m quite worried because I’m doing unit 1&2 History in year 10, and the SACs have been really difficult (I have been getting low Cs and one D!), I didn’t get below 93% in any test or exam while doing humanities (war) in year 10. So, I want to drop history in year 11 but I am worried that doing 6 subjects in year 12 will be hard ( Methods, English, economics, business, physics and accounting). Should I continue History so I get 5 subjects in year 12, and get average marks... or should I drop it and do 6 subjects in year 12, which aren’t difficult? Thanks, please help! My subject selection is next week lol

antigony

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +1
Unit 1/2 is supposed to be a step up from your year 10 history class, so it's normal to see a dip in marks - what's important is that you get your act together for 3/4, since those are the marks that go to VCAA! Don't be discouraged by the step up; you've already shown that you're capable of high marks in the subject.

I wouldn't underestimate the extra time you'd get from doing one less subject in year 12. I'm doing less than six subjects this year, and have definitely found it's helped to take a lot of the pressure off. Remember that by taking history early 'by itself', you can afford to focus your efforts on improving your marks solely in that subject (especially if your other subjects are 1/2s that you find easy).

caffinatedloz

• VIC MVP - 2019
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +856
I think that if you can do a subject early you definitely should. Like antigony said, 1/2 feels like a step up from Year 10, but once you get into the pattern of doing a VCE subject it should get easier. You said you have gone fairly well on Year 10 exams, so hopefully you will see your marks rise as you get more comfortable.

One of the biggest benefits of accelerating a subject is learning a bit about what will be expected of you next year, and you will get that same benefit if you accelerate a 3/4.

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
I’m quite worried because I’m doing unit 1&2 History in year 10, and the SACs have been really difficult (I have been getting low Cs and one D!), I didn’t get below 93% in any test or exam while doing humanities (war) in year 10. So, I want to drop history in year 11 but I am worried that doing 6 subjects in year 12 will be hard ( Methods, English, economics, business, physics and accounting). Should I continue History so I get 5 subjects in year 12, and get average marks... or should I drop it and do 6 subjects in year 12, which aren’t difficult? Thanks, please help! My subject selection is next week lol

Hey Kumar! Welcome to ATAR Notes. :)

I think with subject selection, it's really important to think about what you actually enjoy. If you take marks out of it entirely, what are the six subjects you think you'd enjoy most?

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Kumar50

• Fresh Poster
I think that if you can do a subject early you definitely should. Like antigony said, 1/2 feels like a step up from Year 10, but once you get into the pattern of doing a VCE subject it should get easier. You said you have gone fairly well on Year 10 exams, so hopefully you will see your marks rise as you get more comfortable.

One of the biggest benefits of accelerating a subject is learning a bit about what will be expected of you next year, and you will get that same benefit if you accelerate a 3/4.

Thank you for the helpful advice 😀

Kumar50

• Fresh Poster
Unit 1/2 is supposed to be a step up from your year 10 history class, so it's normal to see a dip in marks - what's important is that you get your act together for 3/4, since those are the marks that go to VCAA! Don't be discouraged by the step up; you've already shown that you're capable of high marks in the subject.

I wouldn't underestimate the extra time you'd get from doing one less subject in year 12. I'm doing less than six subjects this year, and have definitely found it's helped to take a lot of the pressure off. Remember that by taking history early 'by itself', you can afford to focus your efforts on improving your marks solely in that subject (especially if your other subjects are 1/2s that you find easy).

Thanks a lot for the advice.
I am going to be continuing  history now, since I have calculated that even if I get a decent/ not excellent mark in history, it will barely make a difference on my ATAR, compared to business; which I was planning to do instead of history. Eg. if I get a 38 study score on business, my atar will be 0.70 higher than If I get a 27 or 28 in history.
Also I’m gonna grind really hard for history next year now 🤣.