Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 03:44:36 am

Author Topic: Computing 1+2 advice  (Read 5047 times)  Share 

Grape

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3
Computing 1+2 advice
« on: July 18, 2016, 09:12:57 pm »
Hey,
So I'm a year 10 thinking of taking up computing next year... only my school doesn't offer it.
I have talked to my careers counsellor and she recommended distance education through http://www.distance.vic.edu.au/
I've been reading the study design and the description on the website and it seems like something I would be interested in. But because computing is not offered at my school and barely anyone does distance ed here (3 people, I believe) I don't have any contact with anyone that could tell me about the 'real stuff' in the subject. So I was hoping some of you could advise me.

First up, how hard is it? I know this can be variable depending on your abilities, but just generally. For some background, I am pretty set on taking methods, general/further, business management 3/4, accounting and eng language next year, if that gives away anything about my strengths.

What do you need to know before starting? On the website it does say that you should be able to use html... but to what degree? Will I be able to teach myself to the required level? And is there anything else that I can do to get ahead, especially considering I won't have direct contact with a physical teacher, only my online companion.

For those who have taken distance ed before, what is it like in terms of contact with the teachers? I am taking Bus Man 1/2 this year and I find that I am very vocal with my teacher and am always emailing them and checking up stuff with them. Is the online teacher available for contact outside of my class hours, enabling me to shoot them an email if I get stuck?
I am lucky because my dad has been an expert on computing/programming/networks stuff for a long time. He has read through the study design and tells me that he knows all of the content well, meaning I will almost have a private tutor. But I also realise that his knowledge is a bit dated. Is the one lesson a week (one lesson a week is correct, right?) enough to learn everything needed, or is the lesson to revise your knowledge and not to teach you...? Or would you reccomend a tutor?

I think that's it! I'll update and post more questions if they pop up
Thanks in advance :)

Note: I'm kind of confused why this whole process is necessary for me to learn IT. I mean, there is this huge push for Science and Technology education, yet it's so difficult for me to obtain it. My school likes to think of itself as a STEAM school... yeah we offer maths, art and science, but technology and engineering - hardly. IT is such an important skill for the future, you'd think they would be marking it up and encouraging people to take it. I just hope some of my friends will have the sense to take a subject like this to prepare them for the future.
2017: Business Management [43]
2018: Accounting [49] - UMEP Accounting [4.5] - Further Maths [45] - English Language [41] - Maths Methods CAS [35]

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
Re: Computing 1+2 advice
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 09:21:07 pm »
+1
In terms of Computing 1+2 in general, the coding that you'll need to know is minimal (e.g. most likely you won't have to do anything from scratch). Most schools teach you to use a program (e.g. Muse, Dreamweaver) to develop websites. I love your attitude (partly because of my bias towards IT) in regards to IT being an 'important skill' and I wish more students had this attitude.

Distance Education is definitely the best choice if your school doesn't offer it. The reason why it isn't offered is because many consider the current Computing curriculum to be extremely dry (myself included, being a teacher in training). That's great that you've got someone who you can physically contact (your dad) who is an expert in the area and can give you advice :)

There's another cool IT curriculum website known as VCEIT (http://www.vceit.com) provided by Mark Kelly, who's an experienced Computing teacher. Definitely worth checking that out too to see the type of content that you'll be dealing with.

If you're keen on IT/computing related subjects throughout your VCE - I would definitely recommend checking out VCE Algorithmics (a new subject released in the last couple of years - I wrote an overview here: Algorithmics Overview and Resources). The pre-requisite or required knowledge is maths methods 1/2 (and you will have that!!!). This is offered via distance ed (only one of a few institutions that actually offer it).

Although IT isn't a very popular subject - we have plenty of people on here who can assist you, so reach out if you have any questions. If you perhaps want to speak to me in confidence, i'm happy for you to PM me at any time (I have a degree in IT and training to be a maths/IT teacher so I am able to assist you in a general sense with subject issues and so on).

Thanks again for your post :)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 09:32:44 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

Grape

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 11:20:31 pm »
Most schools teach you to use a program (e.g. Muse, Dreamweaver) to develop websites

Would distance ed teach me how to use these programs, or would I have to pop down to the school IT guys and bug them to teach me? Or would I be able to teach myself from online videos/trial and error?

If you're keen on IT/computing related subjects throughout your VCE - I would definitely recommend checking out VCE Algorithmics (a new subject released in the last couple of years - I wrote an overview here: Algorithmics Overview and Resources). The pre-requisite or required knowledge is maths methods 1/2 (and you will have that!!!). This is offered via distance ed (only one of a few institutions that actually offer it).

Funny actually, my school does offer Algorithmics as a proper class (I think it was introduced last year as a trial but there wasn't much interest unfortunately). I was talking to my course counsellor about it today and she was telling me that it is a uni subject, or at uni standard (is this correct?). I've also had a read over the study design, it does look difficult. I'm very interested in IT but I think I want to keep it simple for the time being. BUT my school only lets you take 1 3/4 in year 11 and I am doing busman next year, meaning algorithmics would have to be pushed back to year 12. But then I would be doing 6 subjects... which I don't want. I might have a better look at it and consider doing computing unit 1/2 and then algo 3/4.

VCEIT - had a look over it before, looks great!

Thanks so much for your help! I'll make sure I ask you if I have any more problems :)

2017: Business Management [43]
2018: Accounting [49] - UMEP Accounting [4.5] - Further Maths [45] - English Language [41] - Maths Methods CAS [35]

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2016, 04:23:38 pm »
Would distance ed teach me how to use these programs, or would I have to pop down to the school IT guys and bug them to teach me? Or would I be able to teach myself from online videos/trial and error?

They should - just because you're doing it via distance doesn't mean they shouldn't teach you how to do it. Muse and Dreamweaver are both licensed products so make sure that if they use programs such as these, that they pay for it (and not you!). I haven't been involved with distance ed so I can't say what specifically they will use (only running on assumptions and experience from other schools).

There are PLENTY of tutorials online that can help with coding or using these programs. You just have to take the time to look :) I'm sure (given that's it's distance ed), they'll have a varied way of doing things so that it's universally accessible to everyone, regardless of location.

I was talking to my course counsellor about it today and she was telling me that it is a uni subject, or at uni standard (is this correct?).

It is - you learn content that's around about a 1st or 2nd year computer science level subject at university. Algorithms, complexity analysis and so on are core computer science elements. Computer science essentially is a fusion of IT and mathematics (when you think about it this way). But you are rewarded for your efforts with high scaling (around the same as maths methods, 5-6) - but this should be interpreted correctly, it is the same level of scaling as methods for a reason due to the difficulty. :)

All good :) We're here to help.
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile