Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 23, 2024, 05:33:15 pm

Author Topic: Sample Short Answer Piece + Questions  (Read 2976 times)  Share 

dmitridr

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • VCE English Language Tutor
  • Respect: +38
Sample Short Answer Piece + Questions
« on: February 13, 2017, 05:05:53 pm »
*** SAMPLE SHORT ANSWER PIECE FOR YOU! ***

Hi guys,

In today’s post, I’d like to present to students a sample informal spoken transcript along with some questions that I have created for you. I found the transcript online through a UK website and from this I formed my own questions.

With many schools conducting their first SAC for English Language as short answer questions shortly, I believe this post will help many students! Make sure that you ask your teacher when and in what format your first SAC is – never leave this to the last minute. Even if you first SAC isn’t a short answer piece, you can still practice as undoubtedly this will help you for the exam, or just for understanding metalanguage!

I want you to look at this transcript and ask yourself first and foremost, “why is this transcript informal?”. Think about that for a few moments and then move.

What makes it informal? To give you some hints, have a look at:

- The spontaneity of the dialogue such as false starts...

- The efficiency of speech such as elision...

- The spoken discourse features such as pause fillers...

- The lexical features such as colloquialisms...

STEP ONE

Download the transcript attached to the post.

STEP TWO

Answer the following short answer questions, paying close attention to the marking!

1. How does the language used reflect the informal context in which this conversation takes place? Refer to the subsystems of lexicology and phonology in your response. (6 marks)

2. How are the syntactic choices here informal? Refer to two different examples. (4 marks)

3. Choose two different discourse particles and discuss the function of each in the text. Provide line numbers. (4 marks)

4. On line 11, an overlap can be seen. Is this a cooperative or uncooperative overlap? Explain why. (2 marks)

Finally, spots have started to sell for my upcoming VCE English Language workshop in early April! I will be running the most comprehensive workshop for VCE English Language 3/4 these coming autumn holidays, with a particular focus on formal language (Unit 3 AOS 2). If you loved my workshop in summer, you will love the autumn one too. Continue setting those foundations and maintain dominance throughout the year! See the link in my signature below :)

Dmitri :)
Winter EL Workshop on Unit 4 AOS 1! Click here!

Need VCE English Language tutoring? Offering personal and group tutoring! See more details here!

Require a VCE tutor for any subject? - Click here!

Learn the entire VCE English Language 3/4 course inside out, in an interactive & engaging way! Get 25% OFF the full price today: Click here.