Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 12:22:46 am

Author Topic: VCE Physics Question Thread!  (Read 603215 times)  Share 

rozmaaate

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: 0
Re: VCE Physics Question Thread!
« Reply #2370 on: September 06, 2020, 07:45:46 pm »
Hey guys I’m super confused with this question as I thought in order to calculate change in velocity in 2 dimensions you are suppose to add the 2 vectors like this, v+(-u), However this isn’t shown in the solution for this questions, as the drawing shown should be drawn head to tail , so 16m/s south west then -u which is 20m/s north west. 

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +785
« Reply #2371 on: September 06, 2020, 08:30:27 pm »
+3
Hey guys I’m super confused with this question as I thought in order to calculate change in velocity in 2 dimensions you are suppose to add the 2 vectors like this, v+(-u), However this isn’t shown in the solution for this questions, as the drawing shown should be drawn head to tail , so 16m/s south west then -u which is 20m/s north west.

If the ball moved in a straight line forwards or back you could do do the calculations like you said, but because it's going in the south west then north west directions you have to draw out the vectors in a triangle, and calculate the resultant vector (the one connecting from the start of the initial to end of the final) using pythagoras to find the change in velocity. And because velocity is a vector you need the direction too, so to find the direction of the resultant vector/change in velocity, you must find the angle in the triangle in the picture in the answers, then add 45deg, because you know the initial velocity is 45deg from south (south-west).
I hope that answers your question? Let me know if you are still confused.
2018: Biology
2019: Chemistry, Physics, Math Methods, English, Japanese
2020: Bachelor of Psychology (Monash)

rozmaaate

• Trailblazer
« Reply #2372 on: September 06, 2020, 09:08:31 pm »
+1
If the ball moved in a straight line forwards or back you could do do the calculations like you said, but because it's going in the south west then north west directions you have to draw out the vectors in a triangle, and calculate the resultant vector (the one connecting from the start of the initial to end of the final) using pythagoras to find the change in velocity. And because velocity is a vector you need the direction too, so to find the direction of the resultant vector/change in velocity, you must find the angle in the triangle in the picture in the answers, then add 45deg, because you know the initial velocity is 45deg from south (south-west).
I hope that answers your question? Let me know if you are still confused.

Thanks for your time , unfortunately I’m still confused here’s what I have so far

Owlbird83

• BLAA 2020
  • Victorian Moderator
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +785
« Reply #2373 on: September 06, 2020, 09:38:38 pm »
+2
Thanks for your time , unfortunately I’m still confused here’s what I have so far

All good!
Sorry, when I referred to the angle in the triangle in my last post, I muddled it up a little.
Although the answers suggest calculating the angle on the right side of the triangle, I reckon it's easier to do it like this:
(also I hope this isn't confusing, I'm calculating a different theta than they are in the answers, cos it seems more simple to me).
my drawing
I hope my drawing makes it a little easier to understand.
You want to find the direction of the final velocity, and you can find the angle that I found in my picture, and add this (38.7) to 45 which equals S83.7W.

Spoiler
Alternatively, you have found the angle on the right side correctly, so since you know there's 180deg in a triangle you can do 180-90-51.3=38.7 which will be the angle on the left side
I can get a little confused with direction stuff too, and I found it useful to draw the little axis to orient the diagram which helped!

Let me know if you want more clarification!  :)

Edit: oh no I did this the wrong way around, ahhh I'm sorry, I hope I didn't make you more confused?  :-\
I feel bad, ignore what I said cos I did it all wrong and am also confused
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 11:27:32 am by Owlbird83 »
2018: Biology
2019: Chemistry, Physics, Math Methods, English, Japanese
2020: Bachelor of Psychology (Monash)

ImamB1

• Adventurer
« Reply #2374 on: September 07, 2020, 07:02:13 am »
Hi,

Does anyone have a list of the questions removed from the past VCAA Physics examinations. I’ve only found a list from 2017 onwards but I’m looking to go much prior to that.

Newton is Nice

• Adventurer
« Reply #2375 on: September 24, 2020, 09:09:16 pm »
Hello, I was just curious to know how an AC generator reverses the current of the coil even though it only has slip rings? I though only a split ring commutator can reverse the current of the coil.
Anyone's help would be greatly appreciated.

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #2376 on: September 24, 2020, 10:21:28 pm »
+1
Hello, I was just curious to know how an AC generator reverses the current of the coil even though it only has slip rings? I though only a split ring commutator can reverse the current of the coil.
Anyone's help would be greatly appreciated.

Hey!

In an AC generator the reason you have current going in the opposite direction sometimes is because the change in flux is in the opposite direction & therefore the induced current is in the other direction so that the change is still opposed; the change in direction is definitely not because of slip rings "swapping it" or anything. I would recommend not saying "an AC generator reverses the current of the coil" because then the person marking you might think you're getting confused with how split ring commutators work.

I recommend looking at diagrams of flux with the coil diagrams and trying to figure out what the direction of current should be at different points to consolidate this info.

I hope this helps, please feel free to reply with any further questions :)

Newton is Nice

• Adventurer
« Reply #2377 on: September 25, 2020, 11:13:25 am »
Hey!

In an AC generator the reason you have current going in the opposite direction sometimes is because the change in flux is in the opposite direction & therefore the induced current is in the other direction so that the change is still opposed; the change in direction is definitely not because of slip rings "swapping it" or anything. I would recommend not saying "an AC generator reverses the current of the coil" because then the person marking you might think you're getting confused with how split ring commutators work.

I recommend looking at diagrams of flux with the coil diagrams and trying to figure out what the direction of current should be at different points to consolidate this info.

I hope this helps, please feel free to reply with any further questions :)
Thanks for replying. So essentially, it s the magnets that are reversing, right?

Newton is Nice

• Adventurer
« Reply #2378 on: October 01, 2020, 03:26:37 pm »
- Why is the frictional force equal to accelerative force?

Bri MT

• VIC MVP - 2018
  • Administrator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • invest in wellbeing so it can invest in you
  • Respect: +3677
« Reply #2379 on: October 01, 2020, 03:29:21 pm »
+1
Thanks for replying. So essentially, it s the magnets that are reversing, right?

No worries. The relative position of the magnets and coil are cycling yeah.

- Why is the frictional force equal to accelerative force?

More context is needed for this question

Newton is Nice

• Adventurer
« Reply #2380 on: October 02, 2020, 09:22:05 pm »
No worries. The relative position of the magnets and coil are cycling yeah.

Hi thank you once again for replying. So, if commutators reverse the current in the coil, but AC generators do not use commutators, so they have the reversion for current due to the change of direction of magnets (relative) right? If so, why do DC generators require split ring commutator for reversion of current and AC generators do not?

Newton is Nice

• Adventurer
« Reply #2381 on: October 09, 2020, 09:40:01 pm »
Does anyone understand Einstein's first postulate and can explain it?

S200

• Part of the furniture
  • Yeah well that happened...
  • Respect: +244
« Reply #2382 on: October 09, 2020, 11:16:20 pm »
+4
So, if commutators reverse the current in the coil, but AC generators do not use commutators, so they have the reversion for current due to the change of direction of magnets (relative) right?
An AC motor really only works because the magnetic field changes in sync with the phase of the AC current.
Because the magnetic field flips 180 degrees you dont have the deceleration issue that affects DC motors.

Challenge
Once you have that locked away, try to work out how to do an AC motor with permenant magnets.

If so, why do DC generators require split ring commutator for reversion of current and AC generators do not?
DC Motors require split ring commutators due to the constant magnetic field given by the permenant magnets.
Under Lenz's law, the rotor would end up completely perpendicular to the magnetic field if you didn't have a split-ring commutator.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 06:18:15 pm by S200 »
Carpe Vinum

\(\LaTeX\) - \(e^{\pi i }\)
#ThanksRui! - #Rui\(^2\) - #Jamon10000

5233718311 :D

PhysicsS

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2383 on: November 11, 2020, 09:40:35 pm »
Hi All,

I have a question about Luminosity I'm hoping to get some help with.

Q is: stars of Deneb, and Mimosa, "appear to be the same brightness", with Deneb at 3230 light years away, and Mimosa at 353 light years. Which star has the greater luminosity, and by how much?

Clearly Deneb's intrinsic brightness or luminosity would be stronger, if they appear similarly bright, despite Deneb's much further distance. The second part of the Q is the area we're unsure of.

An example compares the luminosity of Sirius, at a distance of 8.61 light years, to that of the sun. It states Sirius's apparent brightness as 8.8x10^-11. So in a worked example, it coverts 8.61 to AU (x 63 240), to determine the solar distance ratio (R/R⊙), = 5.44x10^5. The question states "we know the brightness ratio, b/b⊙" which is 8.8x10^-11". They then work it all out: L/L⊙ = b/b⊙ x (R/R⊙)^2 =8.8x10^-11 x (5.44x10^5)² = 26. This makes sense.

However, my query is, how exactly did they determine Sirius's apparent brightness?

In previous pages, info is given on apparent magnitude scales (i.e. the sun at -26.7), which prompted us to find Deneb's (+1.25) and Mimosa's (+1.25), there is mention but no example in the book, of the logarithmic scale it's all based on. The book also says "the brightness ratio can be worked out from the apparent magnitudes, but that is a little messy so we shall just quote the brightness ratio directly"  ??? :-\

There's another worked example of the sun's luminosity, which uses it's watts per square metre on earth (1370), to calculate it's luminosity: L = b x 4πR² (b as brightness in watts, and 4πR² being the area of a sphere, R as the distance in AU (1) yet converted to metres: 1.5x10^11), it's also described as b = L/4πR².

The page also states the inverse law, or brightness declining as radiation increases with distance, written as a ratio of y₁/y₂ = (x₂/x₁)², or propto of y ∝ 1/x².

Hence, do we use the inverse law to compare the stars? if so, which values do we substitute for x and y (some online examples use AU, most American resources quote in parsec), from the question we're not sure all or the correct info is given, or is it again just a matter of conversions?

Is it best to use the calculation in the Sirius example to determine each stars' brightness ratio to the sun, then compare them to each other? (bearing in mind no watts radiation values are given, and internet searches yield varied results, but most tend to state info like "Deneb is 200,000x brighter than the sun", which I think is only the calculation result.)

Thus, which calculations are used to find each stars' luminosity, or brightness, especially if the equation with Sirius, is used?

Sorry again for all the info, just wasn't sure where exactly to look or which steps to use when (the question's driving me nuts, and has been for 6+ hours!)

Thanks so much again!

VCE 2003: HHD, English, English Literature, Outdoor Ed, Maths Methods, Biology

a weaponized ikea chair

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +12
« Reply #2384 on: November 12, 2020, 03:00:57 pm »
I got this question and am not sure of the answer:

Redshift is when the wavelength of light has been shifted to the red part of the electromagnetic spectrum.

A) True
B) False

I put false, but I'm not sure.