Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 08:26:02 pm

Author Topic: Society and Culture Question Thread  (Read 48934 times)  Share 

Mada438

• Forum Leader
  • Skiing, motorcycle and travel fanatic
  • Respect: +399
Re: Society and Culture Question Thread
« Reply #30 on: January 13, 2018, 08:13:17 pm »
+1
For my pip, can i do my topic on asian countries in general (i will pinpoint specific asian countries in my pip) or do i have to refer to one asian country? like when i want to talk about the perspectives of asians in australia. can i do that or one specific country?
That topic sounds rather broad, it would be better to talk about a specific country as you have a better idea of what you're focusing on.
Also, just saying "im doing my pip on asian countries in general" really isn't much to go on. You should do some more research to refine your topic. For example, something slightly more refined might be "various stereotypes of asians in australia" but that topic in itself is not very well defined.

If you have any more questions, please drop them here, im more than happy to provide answers!
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

"Be fearless in the pursuit of what sets your soul on fire"

Advice for starting year 12
An open letter to my School Friends
Would 10 year old you be proud of who you are?

2020: Bachelor of Arts @ANU

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2018, 03:02:26 am »
+2
For my pip, can i do my topic on asian countries in general (i will pinpoint specific asian countries in my pip) or do i have to refer to one asian country? like when i want to talk about the perspectives of asians in australia. can i do that or one specific country?

It all depends: which Asian countries do you wish to do your PIP on specifically and which perspectives will you talk about? Asia is such a BROAD continent filled with different cultures, it will be so hard writing about all of the different countries in general.

You can possibly do one specific country for each chapter, totaling in 3-4 specific Asian countries. Since you will be talking about perspectives of Asians in Australia, it’s probably best to talk about Chinese and Vietnamese people. I did a very similar topic to you during my HSC (casual racism towards Asians in Australia) and talked mostly about Chinese and Vietnamese people (in terms of the Australian Gold Rush and the Vietnam War respectively). It’s probably a good option to include Muslim people from Asian countries as well. People seem to forget that Central Asia actually exists! Just a suggestion though ;). This would be great for the cross cultural comparison ;).

Good luck!
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

OverUnderachiever

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2018, 12:32:53 pm »
+1
thanks for the advice. so can i pinpoint east asia? i want to talk about the implementation of tiger parenting from migrants from east asian countries (vietnam, china, japan and korea?) as their principles and values are similar as well as the effect of acculturation on tiger parenting in australia. so can my topic just be "Acculturation of eastern asian migrant parenting in australia"? to be honest, im not really sure if im heading in the right direction.

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2018, 01:34:56 pm »
+1
thanks for the advice. so can i pinpoint east asia? i want to talk about the implementation of tiger parenting from migrants from east asian countries (vietnam, china, japan and korea?) as their principles and values are similar as well as the effect of acculturation on tiger parenting in australia. so can my topic just be "Acculturation of eastern asian migrant parenting in australia"? to be honest, im not really sure if im heading in the right direction.

Yep you can definitely do East Asian countries. You can also do that topic if you want! There’s a similar PIP at the State Library of NSW if you want to check it out. My questions for you are, what is your aim, hypothesis and your topics for each chapter. That’s the foolproof method to know if you’re going in the right direction :)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 05:02:18 pm by beatroot »

Mada438

• Forum Leader
« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2018, 10:58:35 pm »
+1
Thats definitely a nice sounding topic, i wish you luck with that!
Yep you can definitely do East Asian countries. You can also do that topic if you want! There’s a similar PIP at the State Library of NSW if you want to check it out. My questions for you are, what is your aim, hypothesis and your topics for each chapter. That’s the foolproof method to know if you’re going in the right direction :)
I've seen the pip that beatroot has mentioned. It would be very good to check out to have a look at someone else's ideas as a springboard for your own.

I really do recconmend working out the aim, hypothesis and chapter topics before anything else as beatroot said (she's pretty good with her advice isnt she? 😂 ;) )
After you've got an idea, post them and then we can give you some feedback regarding them!
"Live life like a pineapple. Stand tall, wear a crown and be sweet on the inside"

"May you grow up to be righteous; may you grow up to be true. May you always know the truth and see the lights surrounding you. May you always be courageous, stand upright and be strong"

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2018, 01:54:01 pm »
Hey!
So I'm currently refining my questions for my PIP questionnaire and my teacher suggested me to ask other people to check my questions to see whether other people can understand it. Is it possible for you guys to see if my questions make sense?

Spoiler
Note on some terminology:
Racial identity: Belonging in a specific racial group, usually based on physical or genetic traits.
Interracial marriage: A marriage between two people of different socially-defined races.

What is your sex? Male/ Female
Which generation do you fall under? Baby Boomers/ Gen X/ Gen Y/ Gen Z
Do you find it difficult to establish a set racial identity? Yes/ No
Australia is becoming increasingly multicultural. In your opinion, do you find your racial identity increasingly complex? Justify your opinion.
Do you find that there is a change in attitudes towards interracial marriages? Yes/ No
How common is it for you to see an interracial couple in current society? 1- rare/ 5- very common
In your opinion, why are interracial marriages becoming more prominent?
In regards to the increasing popularity of interracial marriage, how helpful are interracial marriages in helping alleviate racial issues? 1- not helpful/ 5-
very helpful
Pertaining to the current trend of the increasing popularity of interracial marriages, do you think this popularity will continue in the future?
Do you see yourself being involved in an interracial relationship? Why or why not?

Thanks in advance!

Hey owidjaja!

I just looked over your questionnaire's questions. My feedback can be found in 'The PIP Thread' :)

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Musical Theatre Tragic And Ultimate Pun Generator
  • Respect: +1026
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2018, 10:02:17 am »
Hey, guys,

Probably a minor detail but I just wanted to gather some thoughts about this. I was looking at a bunch of resources for Buddhism and all of them have different times of when Buddhism began  :'( :'( Some said 5th century and the others said 6th century. I know it's probably safe to just say it started a verryyyyy long time ago but wanted to see if any ex students know which one they went with?

-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-
Bachelor of Music (Music Education) at the Sydney Conservatorium of Music

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2018, 11:28:02 am »
+1
Hey, guys,

Probably a minor detail but I just wanted to gather some thoughts about this. I was looking at a bunch of resources for Buddhism and all of them have different times of when Buddhism began  :'( :'( Some said 5th century and the others said 6th century. I know it's probably safe to just say it started a verryyyyy long time ago but wanted to see if any ex students know which one they went with?

Hey there Angelina!

In my notes for ‘Belief Systems and Ideologies’, I put down that Buddhism started 2,500 years ago which is around ~480 BC. So that would be 5th century BC. I got my notes for Buddhism from the SAC Preliminary and HSC textbook so I believe that its a reliable source as it is the main textbook for SAC :)

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2018, 12:10:59 pm »
+1
Hey there Angelina!

In my notes for ‘Belief Systems and Ideologies’, I put down that Buddhism started 2,500 years ago which is around ~480 BC. So that would be 5th century BC. I got my notes for Buddhism from the SAC Preliminary and HSC textbook so I believe that its a reliable source as it is the main textbook for SAC :)

Hey, Bea!

That's what I thought as well  :) Alright, I'll stick to the 5th century then since my information corroborates with yours. Thank you  ;D

Angelina
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

angewina_naguen

• HSC Lecturer
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2018, 10:56:32 am »
+2
No question here!

Just wanted to say good luck for anyone who has exams on or are finishing up this week  :) I have Society and Modern on this Friday  :'( Both of them have so much content for me to go over but at least after it's over, it'll finish these last two weeks off with a bang  ;D ;D Have a good one!

Angelina
-HSC 2018-

-ATAR-

-UNI 2019-2022-

Ophelia_

• Adventurer
  • Wishing to skip HSC and get to Uni -.-
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2018, 12:22:20 pm »
Hey guys!
I was just wondering if anyone did the focus study on Social Media for Popular Culture? If you did, do you have any notes that I can refer to when making my own? Thank you  ;D
HSC 2018: Senior Science || Biology || Gen Maths 2 || Standard English || Society and Culture || Studies of Religion 1U

ATAR Goal: 80+ (BS Nursing)

Mada438

• Forum Leader
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2018, 01:48:08 pm »
+1
Hey guys!
I was just wondering if anyone did the focus study on Social Media for Popular Culture? If you did, do you have any notes that I can refer to when making my own? Thank you  ;D
Hey!
I don't have any notes on that sorry  :(
But i'm sure a few quick google searches will render some results. I did a quick one myself and found This resource which may be of some use to you!
Also do different sorts of search terms in google to try and find some notes, i'm sure they'll be some out there
Good luck!  :)

Tristan1

• Adventurer
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2018, 04:40:44 pm »
Hey! I hope everyone’s having a good day :) my question is in regards to my assessment question I received for conformity and non-conformity: ‘assess the impact of deindividuated people on society’.
How would you answer this question? It’s namely the society part that I’m unsure how to weave into my response.

Mada438

• Forum Leader
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2018, 06:09:14 pm »
+3
Hey! I hope everyone’s having a good day :) my question is in regards to my assessment question I received for conformity and non-conformity: ‘assess the impact of deindividuated people on society’.
How would you answer this question? It’s namely the society part that I’m unsure how to weave into my response.
Hey!
So I'm not doing conformity and non-conformity as a depth study (although i wish i was :( )but I'm gonna attempt to help you with this.
Okay, first of all, to understand the question better, first break it down a bit.
1: "Assess" What does it want you to do when it says to assess? "Weigh up to what extent something is true. Persuade the reader of your argument by citing relevant research but also remember to point out any flaws and counter-arguments as well. Conclude by stating clearly how far you are in agreement with the original proposition."Kinda similar to 'to what extent'
2: What is Deindividuation and what are deindividuated people? Deindividuation is the loss of identity or self-awareness, usually in a group setting. People who experience this, are sort of caught up in a mob mentality. If you have ever read 1984, that's a good example of Deindividuation, especially in the two minutes hate. Other examples include: The Zimbardo Experiments
and riots. Ever notice how when a crowd of people are asked to do something, they are very awkward at first, but as more and more people do that thing, the more people join in.
3: "In society" So another big example of Deindividuation is the internet. There is a good quote to explain this: "give a man a mask and he will show his true self" within a group, an individual feels anonymous and less accountable for their actions. It's not their fault, its the group's fault. The internet is a perfect example of this, as people hide themselves while doing stuff. It's much easier for you to post something negative on someone's post then say that directly to their face. Just a quick google search of deindividuation applied to the internet can bring up a lot of discussion around that.

To continue on the "on society" part, it would be good to research more examples of societal Deindividuation and really look at the impact that these situations have on the broader society.

Good luck!
Hope this helps!  ;D

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2018, 08:21:10 pm »
+2

Hey there! I did conformity and non-conformity as one of my depth studies during my HSC :)
Just adding onto Mada348's awesome response above, there are tons of effects that deindividuation has on individuals (in all micro, meso and macro worlds). Some of these include:

- Aggression and crime (caused by environmental factors such as noise and physicality)
- Heightened emotions
- Uninhibited impulsive and irrational behaviours
- Lack of responsibility for actions
- Absense of self awareness
- Cyberbullying and online harrassment
- and more!

But essentially since individuals are placed within a crowd context, they lose their sense of self and blend in perfectly well with other people. They don't care about the consequences because they know it will be blamed on the crowd rather than the individual (if that makes sense?).

Deindividuation can lead to the dehumnaisation of victims (ie; extreme cases of frat initiations or cyberbullying)

The cost of deindividuation/deviance can include:
- could hurt people/specific people in society
- can be against the law
- doesn't benefit anyone at all
- go against moral values and religious beliefs
- may come at a cost (ie; jail time)
- can be expensive (ie; removing graffiti)
- stimulates more deviance
- erodes trust
- if deindividuation is not corrected/punished, can result in the non conformity of others.

Now leading back to the question 'assess the impact of deindividuated people on society', you can refer to all micro, meso and macro worlds or talk about specific groups within those worlds ie; friendship groups (micro), the workplace (meso) or pretty much anything related to the law/government (macro). What is the impact of deindividuated people within a friendship group? Their impact within the workplace? Their impact in regards to the government/law? Or whatever subculture group/s you pick, just ask yourself 'what impact do they have within their respective micro/meso/macro world?' Make sure to include examples and concepts within your response :)

Hope this helps :)