VCE Stuff > Victorian Education Discussion

atar

(1/1)

geek123456:
I want to get that ten percent credit in my ATAR but I can not do a 3-4 unit this year, I plan to continue with only 3-4s for bio and chem next year .This could give me a headstart with the rest of the subjects.Your help in this regard will be highly appreciable!

Mod edit- insanipi: decapitalised title. :)

Aaron:
Keeping it short and simple: You need 16 units in total (so 16 satisfactory results for units). When you work this out, it is four subjects (Units 1-4).

--- Quote ---To earn your VCE, you must satisfactorily complete at least 16 units.

Regardless of how many units you do altogether, you must satisfactorily complete:

At least three units from the English group listed below:
        Foundation English Units 1 and 2
        English Units 1 to 4
        English as an Additional Language (EAL) Units 3 and 4
        English Language Units 1 to 4
        Literature Units 1 to 4
    At least one of these units must be at Unit 3 or 4 level. However, VTAC advises that for the calculation of the ATAR, students must satisfactorily complete both Unit 3 and Unit 4 of an English sequence.
    Three sequences of Unit 3 and 4 studies in addition to the sequence chosen from the English group. These sequences can be from VCE studies and/or VCE VET programs.

If you intend to apply for tertiary entrance at the end of your VCE, you need to be aware that the Victorian Tertiary Admissions Centre has additional requirements for the calculation of the ATAR.
--- End quote ---

Source: http://www.vcaa.vic.edu.au/Pages/faqs/vcecurrentstudents.aspx ('What must I include in my VCE program').

My recommendation: Proceed to Year 12. Don't waste your time repeating Year 11, unless you get a high level of 'N' awards.

ardria:
If you must repeat a year, I highly suggest making it Year 12 and not Year 11. I can't think of any real point repeating Year 11, but doing Year 12 a second time would mean you've been through the Year 12 experience already and (hopefully) know exactly what your plan of action is for your second time.

Possibility 1: Underperform this year in Year 11 --> Catch up in time for Year 12 (you have the whole of 2017 and the holidays to do this) and reach your goal.
Possibility 2: Catch up in time this year (especially since you are not doing a Unit 3/4 subject, your scores this year don't directly contribute to your ATAR at all) --> Reach your goal in Year 12.
Possibility 3: Underperform next year in Year 12 --> Learn, repeat and hopefully manage yourself well enough to reach your goal.

Although your situation is different, there are certainly people who wasted their time in Year 11, but got themselves together in Year 12 enough to do very well. It's never too late. Also, teachers can be pessimistic about stuff like this. Just prove them wrong if that's the case  :)

Best of luck.

Janna:

--- Quote from: ardria on May 30, 2017, 07:07:15 pm ---If you must repeat a year, I highly suggest making it Year 12 and not Year 11. I can't think of any real point repeating Year 11, but doing Year 12 a second time would mean you've been through the Year 12 experience already and (hopefully) know exactly what your plan of action is for your second time.

Possibility 1: Underperform this year in Year 11 --> Catch up in time for Year 12 (you have the whole of 2017 and the holidays to do this) and reach your goal.
Possibility 2: Catch up in time this year (especially since you are not doing a Unit 3/4 subject, your scores this year don't directly contribute to your ATAR at all) --> Reach your goal in Year 12.
Possibility 3: Underperform next year in Year 12 --> Learn, repeat and hopefully manage yourself well enough to reach your goal.

Although your situation is different, there are certainly people who wasted their time in Year 11, but got themselves together in Year 12 enough to do very well. It's never too late. Also, teachers can be pessimistic about stuff like this. Just prove them wrong if that's the case  :)

Best of luck.

--- End quote ---

Hey Geek123456,

I would have to agree with ardria here, you'd be better off in my opinion repeating year 12 rather than year 11.
I personally did 6 subjects. My 6th subject was not my best score and I know that if I had focused more on it throughout the year I would've got a better score. However, while 100% of your top 4 subjects (including English) contribute to your aggregate score (that is used to calculate your ATAR) only 10% of your 5th and 6th subject count. That means that if you got a 40 in your 5th subject it would only contribute 4 points to your aggregate - the equivalent of getting a 39 rather than a 35 in one of your top 4. In saying that however, for very competitive courses a bonus 3 or so points could be the difference. Therefore, I made the decision to do a 6th subject however not really focus on it that much. So if I could get a 30 with very little effort throughout the year then that would be a bonus 3 points and I wouldn't detract from  my other subjects at all. An extra subject also gives you another back up if one of the subjects you thought you would go well in ends up not going so well. However, in saying that if you feel like you are going to struggle too much through a 6th subject and take away from your other subjects then its not really worth it but if you can handle getting bad marks in the 6th just for some extra points then its worth it. (remember if you got a 50 versus a 20 in your 6th then it would still only give you 3 extra points on your aggregate)

Hope this helps (and that it all makes sense)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version