Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 02:35:17 am

Author Topic: Handwritten notes?  (Read 941 times)  Share 

miyukiaura

• Trendsetter
  • per aspera ad astra
  • Respect: +3
Handwritten notes?
« on: February 08, 2020, 10:56:25 pm »
I've been trying to decide whether or not to make handwritten notes for bio. I have made a word doc for plasma membranes but it's quite messy and not exactly that organised. Would anyone reccommend re-doing my notes as handwritten notes, or would it just be a waste of time??
Offering 50 raw English tutoring, PM for details

whys

• VIC MVP - 2020
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +916
Re: Handwritten notes?
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2020, 11:08:48 pm »
+7
Up to you. Different people learn in different ways and there unfortunately isn't one tried and tested method of note-taking that works for all students. You will likely need to reflect on what has previously worked for you and perhaps experiment with writing/typing notes. Aside from the obvious typing is faster and handwriting aids with memory, you need to really consider the time you have. Since you are doing one 3/4 this year, you will probably have the time to handwrite all your notes, but it is only beneficial if it works for you. I did a subject similar to bio in terms of the amount of content in year 11, and I typed my notes. It worked for me. I knew people who handwrote notes for that subject and other subjects. By typing notes, I had more time to spend doing practice questions and spent time on other subjects. It could be helpful to handwrite chapter summaries or the like, so you aren't handwriting all your notes - rather using a more efficient method that still covers all major info you need to know. And it is likely that you can format that word doc to be more organised as you can easily move things around in your typed notes as opposed to handwritten notes. Another benefit of typing notes if that you can't 'lose' them as they'll always be online if you use an app like onenote. I would say redoing your notes is a waste of time and you could better spend your time solidifying your knowledge on plasma membranes through practice questions. Your notes on this topic are already there for you to refer to, and I wouldn't see a benefit to rewriting notes unless they work miracles for your memory. However, it is up to you if you want to handwrite or type the rest of your notes, and depends fully on your learning style.
psych [50] bio [50]
2021-2025: BMedSci/MD @ Monash

SanchaTheSeeker

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +10
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2020, 11:36:40 pm »
+5
I have really messy handwriting and my teachers tend to talk quite fast so I sometimes type.
If you want to type I suggest getting a device with a stylus pen so you can draw
“Our life is a constant journey, from birth to death. The landscape changes, the people change, our needs change, but the train keeps moving. Life is the train, not the station.”

― Paulo Coelho

Train nerd, Venturer Scout, and JMSS hoomun

JMSS guide: https://atarnotes.com/forum/index.php?topic=189547

ig: @sfaunncgha

bri...1

• Fresh Poster
  • letsgetit
  • Respect: +2
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2020, 02:02:30 pm »
+1
Personally I've found that it's helpful to handwrite my actual notes (which are very diagram heavy), while keeping an electronic glossary for each topic which can be easily searched through :-)

thatdumbstudent

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +8
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 08:38:48 pm »
+3
I've been trying to decide whether or not to make handwritten notes for bio. I have made a word doc for plasma membranes but it's quite messy and not exactly that organised. Would anyone reccommend re-doing my notes as handwritten notes, or would it just be a waste of time??

Hi there, I know I am late but I've struggled with this since year 11. In year 11, I did all handwritten notes and it was ... tiring but I was somewhat happy with it, however, after some time, it turned messy :/ Right now,  I am doing handwritten notes in year 12 and I usually take class notes first then come home and rewrite it again.. I am so inefficient I know haha. However, I bought summary notes off this girl on facebook who got a 50, her notes are typed btw and they look so good. I am still writing some of my notes but will make sure it doesn't take all of my time while I experiment new things. I printed out her notes and plan to annotate them with some more content too. Idk how it'll workout but biology needs soooo many diagrams and I really can't be bothered to draw or print and stick them each time. So yeah! try to experiment stuff :-)