Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 08:41:45 am

Author Topic: Maths Study  (Read 1507 times)  Share 

DalvinT

• Trendsetter
  • We can always improve, right?
  • Respect: +3
Maths Study
« on: October 23, 2016, 02:44:50 pm »
Hey guys!

I'm confused on how to prepare for Maths Exams!
I've asked many teachers and have advised me to do practice papers, revise notes etc.
but even when I did those, I still did poorly in my exam (prelims).
The thing I'm most concerned about The exams is those and 5-6 questions. I've done some practice papers but those Band 5-6 questions really vary from paper to paper.

So what are some strategy/tips to prepare for a maths test? And how to become better at band 5/6 questions?

Thanks heaps :)
2017 HSC:
English Standard 91
Biology 90
Earth and Environmental Science 89
Music 1 97
Visual Arts 92
General Mathematics 2  85

ATAR : 95.15

2018-2020: Bachelor of Oral Health @ USYD

RuiAce

• ATAR Notes Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
  • Respect: +2575
Re: Maths Study
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 02:52:57 pm »
Hey guys!

I'm confused on how to prepare for Maths Exams!
I've asked many teachers and have advised me to do practice papers, revise notes etc.
but even when I did those, I still did poorly in my exam (prelims).
The thing I'm most concerned about The exams is those and 5-6 questions. I've done some practice papers but those Band 5-6 questions really vary from paper to paper.

So what are some strategy/tips to prepare for a maths test? And how to become better at band 5/6 questions?

Thanks heaps :)
Students that get band 4 know their content to a solid enough extent that they can tackle anything classic. They do not feel intimidated when they see something that's quite ordinary and are prepared to apply what requires only a normal level of thought.

Students that get a band 5 have the ability to adjust to wording of questions. Mathematics isn't about just memorising procedures and applying them; it is entirely skills based. Simply knowing your theory isn't enough to achieve a band 5.

Students that get a band 6 are prepared to encounter new scenarios. Their exposure to advanced level questions is strong enough that they can think in a manner that is enough to tackle something they potentially have never seen before, and are not intimated by obstacles such as awkward algebra.

Questions in mathematics are designed to not be use this use that. They're designed to see exactly how well you can APPLY your knowledge. They're not meant to be something that you've seen before.

The whole point of past papers is to train the way that you can ADJUST to new scenarios. It's not meant to be a skill that one can pick up within a click of a finger. It's meant to be something that takes great exposure to, and practice. This is why past papers, whilst needed for every subject, is stressed to a far higher level in mathematics than other courses. You can NOT expect to attain a high band 5 or band 6 relying on content; you need to learn how to adjust to something completely foreign.

Neither should you ever feel intimidated about looking at answers, if you've made a genuine attempt. If you don't look at the answers, then you will never acquire a useful skill for future use.

DalvinT

• Trendsetter
  • We can always improve, right?
  • Respect: +3
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 08:15:37 pm »
Thank you for your advice! It's surprising how my maths teachers don't discuss these points.
2017 HSC:
English Standard 91
Biology 90
Earth and Environmental Science 89
Music 1 97
Visual Arts 92
General Mathematics 2  85

ATAR : 95.15

2018-2020: Bachelor of Oral Health @ USYD

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 12:04:06 am »
Thank you for your advice! It's surprising how my maths teachers don't discuss these points.

Pretty likely that they don't have the time; which is unfortunate, because I think it's important to have a comprehension of what being a "Band 6 student" actually means!! :)