Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 02:07:13 am

Author Topic: Married at First Sight  (Read 8892 times)

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
Married at First Sight
« on: February 05, 2019, 10:16:10 pm »
+7
Without a doubt the shittest show on television........but let's talk about it :D
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
Re: Married at First Sight
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 10:43:20 pm »
+7
I was totally against it the first few years it ran... but I gotta admit the drama has got me in the end. I love it. After a long bloody day at work, watching the bitching etc. is well worth it.

I scream at the TV - just the sheer airheads, some of them. That Ines chick has nfi about anything.. needs a good lesson on etiquette.

What I am finding really annoying however is the constant milking of the fact Matthew is still a virgin... like it's a bad thing. IMO I think it should be well and truly respected, the fact that it was a personal decision rather than simply opening your legs to pretty much anyone just to kill the title. I know my post is not usually my normal standard but literally nearly every reference to him on the show is '29 year old virgin' over and over. like wtf. Move on. Focus on the airhead (Ines) who is treating her new hubby like absolute shit, or the guy who got up and left his new bride for his ex's mothers funeral (all sympathies obviously, but jeez that is shocking... esp with no text/call etc)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 10:54:46 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2019, 11:02:07 pm »
+4
Oh my god I used to hate this show with a passion then I realised how interesting it was when I got bored one afternoon and watched all the re-runs. I've been following MAFS since 2017 and it's been a rollercoaster.

I think what makes MAFS stand out from any other dating reality TV show is that it's not just a dating show, it's a social experiment. Can you really fall in love with a person that you just married and build a genuine relationship with them through time or are you in love with this false sense of security that marriage will solve all your problems. Is marriage a necessary thing to commit to in your life? Why are these people willing to put their private lives on national tv just for the sake of getting married? This show actually makes me question, why as humanity, we go to extreme lengths just for loved or to feel what it's like to be loved. The Bachelor series, First Dates, Love Island etc can all sit back down lol. MAFS is probably the ultimate dating show because it requires commitment.

I haven't been able to religiously watch this year's season of MAFS because I think (in my honest opinion) it could NEVER top last year's drama. Last year was absolutely hectic with the cheating scandal with Davina and Dean. I think what also fascinates me is that with last year's batch, those who weren't originally a couple on the show became a couple irl (ie; Tracey and Sean + Troy and Carly). Again, it poses that question 'do they genuinely love each other' or are they just a couple because they just happened to be both emotionally available?

Martha and Michael are a gem to watch as well as Matthew and Lauren I must say. I love seeing genuine couples being formed. It is a fresh break from the ones who are only on the show to gain more Instagram followers. But at the same time- they're the ones creating most drama so I guess I'm kinda alright with the Instagram "influencers"

PS: Would love to work for Channel 9 and edit MAFS one day.
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

Aaron

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +1536
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 11:07:11 pm »
+5
Quote from: beatroot
Why are these people willing to put their private lives on national tv just for the sake of getting married?
$$$$ *cha ching sound*

I don't reckon some are there to genuinely find love. Unfortunately MAFS is also a platform which has a national audience. Drama feeds audiences. Drama creates profiles. Sad.
I genuinely (yet to be proven wrong) feel Ines is just there to build her own profile - when asked why she was on there, her response included: "to have kids" or something along those lines...... barely anything about finding a life partner/love etc... like most people would respond. Bringing up kids is fine but when its the first thing you can think of, priorities are screwed. I think in tonights episode she said to her partner at a dinner table with other guests "do you wanna root me".. like how bloody gross is that (not the actual sex part but the fact she bluntly said it... makes her sound so trashy and feral). I believe her occupation is a legal assistant so at the least I thought she'd have some class. Unless it's a stunt for a particular reason. :)
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 11:09:10 pm by Aaron »
Experience in teaching at both secondary and tertiary levels.

website // new forum profile

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2019, 11:13:00 pm »
+3
$$$$ *cha ching sound*

I don't reckon some are there to genuinely find love. Unfortunately MAFS is also a platform which has a national audience. Sad.
I genuinely (yet to be proven wrong) feel Ines is just there to build her own profile - when asked why she was on there, her response included: "to have kids" or something along those lines...... barely anything about finding a life partner/love etc... like most people would respond. Bringing up kids is fine but when its the first thing you can think of, priorities are screwed. I think in tonights episode she said to her partner at a dinner table with other guests "do you wanna root me".. like how bloody gross is that (not the actual sex part but the fact she bluntly said it... makes her sound so trashy and feral). I believe her occupation is a legal assistant so at the least I thought she'd have some class. Unless it's a stunt for a particular reason. :)

That's the sad reality :( I heard they get paid around $150-$200 per day? But like it's annoying that people only go on the show for Instagram fame and/or money because there are some genuine people on the show who just want to find love and get married. I absolutely hate it when Instagram influencers get paid up with genuine people (ie the blonde woman and the farmer in this year's season AND Davina and Ryan from last year's batch)

Ines is both frustrating and hilarious to watch. Frustrating in the sense that she is so rude to Bronson! Even in the comments on the MAFS FB page, people are calling her abusive. She's a hypocrite as well. Don't go shaming your husband for being a stripper in the past then go asking him if he would root her. Like- it's so trashy and not appropriate at all. Ines is also hilarious too because she is so damn blunt. Like it amazes me how people like her exist.

Feeling sorry for Elizabeth since her husband left! Though she is a bit full on ngl.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2019, 11:48:06 pm by beatroot »

vox nihili

• National Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2019, 12:50:50 pm »
+1
There are so many reasons I hate MAFS, but it's just hilarious to watch.

It's obviously all bullshit, some of which is at best heavily edited at worst scripted.
The experts are each an embarrassment to their field.
The people on the show are literally the worst of the worst.

But it all comes together to create a really, beautiful hunk of mess that just works.

This year it seems like they've tried to add some people who aren't completely nuts. The highlight this year would have to be Ines, followed closely by Ning. Elizabeth they've done up a bit to make her crazier than she seems...she actually seems ok. Ning and Ines are both abusive, which is probably really problematic. The way they treat their partners is appalling.
The other one who perhaps doesn't cop as much flak as he should (maybe because he's male?) is Mike. The way he treated Heidi the other day was genuinely evil, but we'll see how that plays out.

The Matt and Lauren relationship is also absurd. The way they've done up his virginity is genuinely grotesque. That he ended up in hospital, seemingly because of a panic attack, goes to show just how far the producers will push things to get good content. Leaving the mics on whilst they had sex was a bit odd too.

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2019, 01:34:27 pm »
Annoyed at the fact that Channel 9 keeps broadcasting toxic behaviour on national television (ie Sam gaslighting Elizabeth) because it normalises it. Though at the same time, it brings attention to the problematic nature of toxic (masculinity) behaviour and what people need to look out for.

appleandbee

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +200
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2019, 01:54:04 pm »
Watched MAFS for the first time yesterday and didn't really enjoy it. I don't mind TV that isn't high quality, as I'm unashamed of the fact that I love Gossip Girl (it's better than a lot of people expect though, as it's well filmed). Was surprised by the strong criticism of women's behaviour and they way in which they conduct themselves in this thread in the context of the males of this show. While Ines definitely seemed annoying with her unnecessary psychoanalysis (as though she didn't have her own issues), the toxic masculinity and 'bro behaviour' of Mike, Sam and occasionally Nick (in regards to the bro behaviour with the other guys) were equally concerning. Many of the guys in the show seemed somewhat shallow for the most part as well. The comments on this thread and in the media as whole seem to point to the perception that if a women can't develop a sustainable relationship-it's because she has personality issues but if a dud can't do so, it's because he was unlucky.

EDIT: Also didn't enjoy the experts insights
VCE Class of 2015

Studying Anthropology, Philosophy and Biology at Unimelb

vox nihili

• National Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2019, 02:24:08 pm »
+1
Annoyed at the fact that Channel 9 keeps broadcasting toxic behaviour on national television (ie Sam gaslighting Elizabeth) because it normalises it. Though at the same time, it brings attention to the problematic nature of toxic (masculinity) behaviour and what people need to look out for.

I agree. It's an entertaining show, but at times some of the behaviour that they allow to go up completely unchallenged is seriously concerning. The way that the many of the men behaved last night was borderline abusive, likewise the behaviour of Ines and Ning across the programme is the same. The "experts" are there to provide this context and really do a poor job of pointing out the precursors to abuse when they see it, which is really disappointing.

Watched MAFS for the first time yesterday and didn't really enjoy it. I don't mind TV that isn't high quality, as I'm unashamed of the fact that I love Gossip Girl (it's better than a lot of people expect though, as it's well filmed). Was surprised by the strong criticism of women's behaviour and they way in which they conduct themselves in this thread in the context of the males of this show. While Ines definitely seemed annoying with her unnecessary psychoanalysis (as though she didn't have her own issues), the toxic masculinity and 'bro behaviour' of Mike, Sam and occasionally Nick (in regards to the bro behaviour with the other guys) were equally concerning. Many of the guys in the show seemed somewhat shallow for the most part as well. The comments on this thread and in the media as whole seem to point to the perception that if a women can't develop a sustainable relationship-it's because she has personality issues but if a dud can't do so, it's because he was unlucky.

EDIT: Also didn't enjoy the experts insights

Agree with all of this too. Last night's episode was a bit disappointing as entertainment too, if I'm honest. Previous episodes have been better.

As above, the way they let such behaviour happen unchallenged is really disappointing.

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2019, 09:46:04 pm »
Thoughts on the commitment ceremony that just aired? I thought it was quite a provocative commitment ceremony especially since it's the first one of the season.

I'm curious to see how Liz/Sam and Bronson/Ines go in this new week.

appleandbee

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2019, 10:38:33 pm »
I didn't watch most of MAFS, so I can't  fully gauge Bronson's personality and behaviour. I am not too surprised if it's true that his behaviour displayed undertones of sexism given that a lot on the guys on the show seemed somewhat shallow. But did not like how the experts did not criticise Ines's (disproportionate) abuse behaviour, although that may have done so behind the scenes. I feel like the justifications for a lot of her actions seemed to be framed around being independent and having a difficult upbringing (seems like Bronson had a tough time with deaths in his family under tragic circumstances as well). Coming from a similar place, I understand how growing up with destructive relationships may lead to Ines being more cautious and having higher standards, bt definitely doesn't justify being abusive. On Bronson's part, I think he should have put Ines out of her misery (even if self-caused for the most part) and opt to leave.
VCE Class of 2015

appleandbee

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2019, 05:32:45 pm »
+1
A lot of shithousery has gone since the last post.

There are rumours that Michael and Martha are no longer together (I have doubts over the authority of those sources though). They are so lovely together.

Both Sam and Ines are wrecking balls, I know they are no longer together but they deserve each other. If Ines found some of Bronson's language problematic, I have no idea how she could be attracted to Sam (he's not even good looking imo). He epitomises toxic masculinity. As with the above post, I agree with Matthew's assessment that she uses her past to manipulate people into feeling bad. She doesn't even seem the least bit remorseful. I hope the experts tell provide her with a frank assessment for the sake of her future relationship. Although it's true Ines made the first move, Sam is indulging in victimhood. I kinda wish that all this was staged by the producers for me to regain faith in humanity, although that would be equally fucked as well.

The toxic masculinity around the dinner party where Mick, Sam and Mike pressured Dino into having sex is abhorrent. Haven't heard much more degrading language than 'slamming her' and the dehumanising effect of 'strike while the iron is hot'. Can't MAFS cast more dudes like Cameron and Dino. Respect for women is a basic tenant in a heterosexual relationship, and should be a requirement for being casted.

Regarding Lauren and Matthew...wow a lot of shit has really come down behind the scenes and post production. Understand why the two broke off (although I felt a bit sad), their opposing personalities never really complemented and they seemed a bit awkward together. I wasn't too impressed by Matthew's reaction to Lauren saying she used to be lesbian. I think that Lauren's was too public with her criticism of Matthew in the media. Matthew was sarcastic when responding to Lauren telling the media about how he said he felt as though he was abducted by aliens. He said in response "Lauren doesn't understand what a metaphor is". Regardless of whether this should have been told to the media, it being a metaphor doesn't make it less concerning.

VCE Class of 2015

vox nihili

• National Moderator
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2019, 09:15:28 pm »
+1
A lot of shithousery has gone since the last post.

There are rumours that Michael and Martha are no longer together (I have doubts over the authority of those sources though). They are so lovely together.

Both Sam and Ines are wrecking balls, I know they are no longer together but they deserve each other. If Ines found some of Bronson's language problematic, I have no idea how she could be attracted to Sam (he's not even good looking imo). He epitomises toxic masculinity. As with the above post, I agree with Matthew's assessment that she uses her past to manipulate people into feeling bad. She doesn't even seem the least bit remorseful. I hope the experts tell provide her with a frank assessment for the sake of her future relationship. Although it's true Ines made the first move, Sam is indulging in victimhood. I kinda wish that all this was staged by the producers for me to regain faith in humanity, although that would be equally fucked as well.

The toxic masculinity around the dinner party where Mick, Sam and Mike pressured Dino into having sex is abhorrent. Haven't heard much more degrading language than 'slamming her' and the dehumanising effect of 'strike while the iron is hot'. Can't MAFS cast more dudes like Cameron and Dino. Respect for women is a basic tenant in a heterosexual relationship, and should be a requirement for being casted.

Regarding Lauren and Matthew...wow a lot of shit has really come down behind the scenes and post production. Understand why the two broke off (although I felt a bit sad), their opposing personalities never really complemented and they seemed a bit awkward together. I wasn't too impressed by Matthew's reaction to Lauren saying she used to be lesbian. I think that Lauren's was too public with her criticism of Matthew in the media. Matthew was sarcastic when responding to Lauren telling the media about how he said he felt as though he was abducted by aliens. He said in response "Lauren doesn't understand what a metaphor is". Regardless of whether this should have been told to the media, it being a metaphor doesn't make it less concerning.

Michael and Martha are kind of shit tbh. One of my friends convinced me of this. Their relationship is weirdly superficial when you think about it.

Agree re Sam, he's toxic. Just gaslights his way through. I'm convinced that Ines is genuinely a psychopath. Not even kidding.

Big big big agree on the dinner party. It was genuinely one of the worst conversations I've heard in ages, reminded me of high school. Just classic men being absolutely horrid. I really wish that they'd call it out more. The absence of any fight back to that, beyond Bronson syaing it was a bit shit, was really disappointing and didn't do enough to highlight just how corrosive that discussion is.

vox nihili

• National Moderator
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2019, 10:51:40 am »
+4

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2019, 09:01:37 pm »
+3
This show is getting more and more ridiculous every time a new episode is aired.
If someone says they want to leave three times in a row, they should be allowed to leave.
#freemick