Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 24, 2024, 09:20:35 am

Author Topic: Doctor Who  (Read 2226 times)

technodisney

• MOTM: AUG 2018
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Master Procrastinator
  • Respect: +456
Doctor Who
« on: September 07, 2018, 08:38:27 pm »
+4
Doctor who has now announced to be back on the 6th October with a new female doctor.

Doctor who is one of my favourite TV shows of all time. But only the 2000s reboot. I have tried the old doctors but couldn't really get into them. But I love the old Dalek movies.

Do we have any Doctor Who fans on AN?

I don't really have a favourite doctor. I think they all have their own little quirks.

My favourite companion however would have to be Amy Pond, I just love how the storyline with her and Riversong and her interactions with the doctor.

Who are your favourite doctors/companions?
My Informatics 3/4 SAT Guide

Methods, BusMan, EngLang, Informatics, VET IT
technodisney's VCE Journal
Cert IV Live Production and Technical Services RMIT (City Campus)
technodisney's journey into Live Theatre
The Disney Nerd needs to get fit

The more you like yourself, the less you are like anyone else, which makes you unique. ~ Walt Disney

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
Re: Doctor Who
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 08:44:23 pm »
+4
Yes hello hi yes I heard Doctor Who and I immediately clicked on this thread.

Not gonna lie I haven't watched Season 10 (the one with Capaldi's doctor and Bill) just because I thought the writing for Capaldi's run was so poor and it turned me off from the show. Matt Smith's seasons confused the hell out of me (with the whole running Amy, Rory and River plot- it annoyed me so much that I didn't understand the logistics of it). I blame Steven Moffat ;) Though I really loved Seasons 1 to 4.

Personally, my favourite doctor has to be David Tennant because there was just something that was so damn charming about him. But also, I liked how passionate he was as a doctor and the emotions he showed on the screen really poured out- especially when he got angry and was saying a speech. I loved Ten and Rose (very basic answer ahaha) but I also loved Donna Noble. She was an amazing companion and her ending was truly tragic.

Would love to watch the original series of Doctor Who but I don't think I would be able to stand the visual effects and the low budget production design aha.

I'm very excited to see Jodie Whittaker as the 13th doctor! She was brilliant on Broadchurch and Black Mirror. I would love to see how she would interpret the doctor and what quirks she can bring to the character overall.

Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.

hums_student

• MOTM: SEP 18
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +520
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2018, 08:49:43 pm »
+4
I used to be unhealthily obsessed with DW back in primary school and remained unhealthily obsessed until last year when VCE tore apart my soul. I haven't seen any episodes with Twelve's second companion yet lol... Do I still count as a fan? Hahah...

My favourite Doctor of all time is Christopher Eccleston, the most underrated Doctor of all. Of the classics, I'd say Patrick Troughton and Tom Baker.

Favourite companion is Donna for New Who and Jamie for the classics (do people even know who he is lol). Least favourite is Rose (yeah I know. Roast me.)

Here's a topic to discuss - what does everyone think of the new female Doctor? Are you happy with the change or would you prefer if the Doctor remained a man?
2019-21: Bachelor of Arts (Politics & Int'l Relations / Economics)

Coffee

• Forum Leader
  • Respect: +322
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2018, 08:52:16 pm »
+4
I am H Y P E D for the new season. Whovians has been renewed for another season too!

I agree that I don’t have a favourite doctor either; they’re all brilliant in their own way.

Favourite companion is definitely Clara. Matt Smith was my first doctor so he’ll always have a special place in my heart but I loved Capaldi too (sad to see him go).

Liking Bill so far and I’m excited to see Jodie.

hums_student

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +520
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 08:57:09 pm »
+4
Would love to watch the original series of Doctor Who but I don't think I would be able to stand the visual effects and the low budget production design aha.
I'd highly recommend you to go back and watch the classic episodes! I was raised on them so I might be biased lol. The effects aren't the greatest but the original, unpredictable and quirky plotlines make up for everything. Personally I prefer them to the reboot.

Some of the effects are kind of cringey though. But they were a lot more sci-fi heavy back then and it's also interesting to watch from today's perspective, when there's a greater degree of development and understanding in science.

I remember one of the first DW episodes I watched was 'The War Machines' from the Troughton era, which was when computers first became a thing and all the characters treated this 'computer' like it was some form of god-like being that can do anything, which accurately reflects a lot of people's thoughts back in the 1960s. In the episode they talked about inventing a form of 'mobile computers' and it was interesting to watch, knowing that in a couple of decades laptops would become a household item.

2019-21: Bachelor of Arts (Politics & Int'l Relations / Economics)

sweetiepi

• National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "A Bit of Chaos" (she/they)
  • Respect: +3589
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 09:07:07 pm »
+3
I was a late adopter of this, surprisingly, but I absolutely love Doctor Who!!!

David Tennant has a special place in my heart, being my first Doctor! :)) been hooked since a few of my friends in year 7 dragged me to join the Doctor Who club that ran that year in the library where we'd watch episodes and do other related activities. That was such a fun year. :'D
However that being said, super pumped to see how the 13th Doc will go- change is definitely as good as a holiday! :)

On a slightly unrelated note- my siblings' school had a concert recently and it was Doctor Who themed. That was cool! :))
2017-2019: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Formulation Science)
2020: Bachelor of Pharmaceutical Science (Honours) Read my uni journey here!

Quantum44

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +313
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2018, 12:32:21 am »
+4
I’m pretty hyped for the new season, it should be an interesting change of pace. I really like all the doctors from the new series but 11 has to be my favourite. Matt Smith just has a special charisma about him. Also while the earlier seasons had a lot of brilliant episodes, I liked how Moffat tried to have series long arcs, which added mystery and intrigue.
UAdel MBBS

technodisney

• Forum Obsessive
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2018, 09:01:18 pm »
+3
Ok. so now that ep 1 was released a week ago and ep 2 was released today what did you think of everything Jodie, the new TARDIS, the new companions, the new intro and whatever other new stuff.

NOTE: I am putting spoilers in the spoiler tags (I know right, someone using spoilers for their intended purpose), and I will mark which episodes they spoil.

I don't know what it is but I have found both episodes as being not quite as fast paced as the show has been in the Capaldi era. Too much talking and getting to know all of the new characters I guess, I feel like once I get to know the new companions a bit more I will like it a bit better.

I feel like Jodie has done an AMAZING job as the Doctor so far, just the way she acts you can tell it is still the Doctor which we have came to know and love but she has her own unique take which is what it should be like. When I saw theres gonna be a female doctor (simply because the doctors always been a male, and didn't like the Master becoming Missie) I was first not too happy and wasn't overly excited about it until the season started, but she did it sooo well.
Episode 1 Spoiler
In the first episode when she (woah that's weird calling the doctor "she") is on top of the crane and she said "I am the doctor" that actually made me smile, you could tell by the way that she was acting there that it is the same Doctor we have always had.

Episode 2 Spoilers
I don't know what it was but the episode was really weird and confusing, it may be partly because I hardly understood those strong accents of even the Doctor, thats gonna take some getting used to.
The weird paper monsters were weird AF, just floating around an strangling people (?) at night.
The TARDIS, has had a massive overhaul which I'm not sure if I like. I mean it is better than the leaked pic of it that somehow had incorrect lighting and was all pink instead of the yellow, and that leaked pic looked ugly, but the yellow looks better. I mean having that sand timer as a control just seems weird, and the whole place looks like a beehive, (is this Bee Movie 2? haha), I guess I'm gonna have to grow to like it though.

And can we talk about that intro? I was looking forward to seeing the Tardis fly through the time vortex but was disappointed with the weird kaleidoscope effects.

Anyways, thats my rant for the day, lol.
For those who have seen it what did you all think?

The more you like yourself, the less you are like anyone else, which makes you unique. ~ Walt Disney

jazcstuart

• Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +180
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2018, 12:45:55 pm »
+1
I LOVE the new doctor, and her companions are pretty cool, I especially like Yaz. I was amazed in the first episode how little the change in gender mattered, as Techno said as soon as she walked in I just KNEW she was the doctor. I think she has captured the character perfectly.

I do agree that I don't think the writing has been as good so far this season, everything just feels slightly rushed, but not a lot actually happens if that makes sense?

I thought she used her sonic (not called a screwdriver anymore lol) too much, because she just kind of figured everything out straight away.

I'm super keen to see where the series goes though!
HSC 2017 - Mathematics, Music 1
HSC 2018 - English (Advanced), Maths Extension 1, Chemistry, Geography, Earth and Environmental Science

2019 - B Renewable Energy Engineering @ University of Newcastle

holky

• Forum Regular
  • Respect: +20
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2018, 02:04:17 pm »
+5
I'm enjoying the new season a lot more than I have the past seasons. I really hate Stephen Moffat's writing, there are still so many things from 11 and 12 that I don't understand and it just feels like he's always trying to be too clever. Don't get me wrong, I love some of his standalone stuff; don't blink still haunts me to this day. I just think he gets too caught up in plot twists when he writed season long arcs.
One thing I loved about the Russel T. Davies era, which seems to be coming back with Chibnall, is more slow setups to the big series plot with episodes that still make sense internally and don't rely on a longer, overarching narrative to make sense.
I'm really excited to see what 13 brings to Doctor Who. She seems fun which I love, and Yaz and Ryan are farking awesome, not sure how I like Graham yet.
I think the first two episodes do leave a bit to be desired in terms of wroting, but I'm excited to see where everything goes

English Advanced  English Extension 1 Modern History CAFS Music 1 Drama

Mathematics 84

technodisney

• Forum Obsessive
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2018, 01:31:48 pm »
+1
I'm enjoying the new season a lot more than I have the past seasons. I really hate Stephen Moffat's writing, there are still so many things from 11 and 12 that I don't understand and it just feels like he's always trying to be too clever. Don't get me wrong, I love some of his standalone stuff; don't blink still haunts me to this day. I just think he gets too caught up in plot twists when he writed season long arcs.

I actually loved all those plot twists, yeah you know there is a plot twist coming all the time but that just gets you guessing and thinking about what it could be. I am actually going to be dissapointed if there doesn't end up being a massive season long arc in this season, makes the season finale so enjoyable where everything just comes together.

SPOILERS AHEAD:
Last night's episode was probably my favourite of this season so far. I didn't look at the synopsis or anything for this one so came in completely blind to what I was going to see.
I didn't expect to get flashbacks to year 10 history while watching doctor who (fun unrelated fact, my year 10 History teacher looked exactly like the chicken guy from Toy Story). I like how the Doctor was being super cautious about not changing the future since Rosa Parks had such an integral part of changing society today, she started the revolution breaking down the race barriers. The Doctor was just nudging history, not telling Parks to not give up her seat or drastically changing anything just giving everything a small nudge to get it all falling into place.
I thought it was done in a very tasteful way as well and that they didn't hold back on using racist terms due to the fear of the PC police.

I didn't like the choice of that pop song (I think it was Rise but I'm not sure) at the end, took me out of the moment and reminded me a bit of what Riverdale does. I'm not sure what song I would have put there instead but just not that one.

I thought the villain was a little odd. He didn't really have any motives besides he was racist and I thought that was a little shallow, who knows though we may end up seeing him at some point in the future.

Graham, Yasmin and Ryan were used well in this episode, they are really growing on me and I thought it was interesting how they used the races and showing how they would have been treated back in the 50s.

Overall I liked it.

Not looking forward to next week episodes to much though, spiders kinda scare me haha

technodisney

• Forum Obsessive
  • Master Procrastinator
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2018, 10:03:29 pm »
+1
Damnnn, techno, you've got exams in like 2 weeks but you're still spending Monday night watching Doctor Who? I think you might need to cold turkey that...

lol jks jks. I love the fact that you're still keeping up with it. I need to start working on my loyalty lmao.

It is 1 hour on 1 night. Unless I’m missing something I’ve been told I should have some breaks haha. I can’t cold turkey the TV haha.

But Yeah it is hard this is actually the first season I have actually caught up with on TV. I only properly got into the show like 3 years ago and binged it all on Netflix in like 3 months.

Then I happened to be away on holidays whenever the last two seasons started so I missed it and then by the time I got back it was off iview and I didn’t want to watch ahead so I waited for the DVD releases.

M.Sullivan

• Adventurer
  • I'm 17 but have the back pain of an 80 yo
  • Respect: +4
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2018, 01:59:01 pm »
+2
I absolutely love Doctor who and I'm really excited to start the new season. I've been watching Capaldi's last season cause I haven't watched it yet, but I refuse to watch season 11 without having seen season 10