Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 20, 2024, 09:03:56 am

Author Topic: AN TV show discussion and recommendations!  (Read 38913 times)

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Im Moment studiere ich kein Deutsch :-(
  • Respect: +864
AN TV show discussion and recommendations!
« on: November 08, 2017, 08:21:24 pm »
+9
As promised (@NSW meet-up people) the AN TV Show discussion and recommendations thread! If you're bored after finishing exams (or just procrastinating) maybe some of these shows will be great for you to watch.

Some of the shows I watch (or have watched):

- Friends: you probably know what this is about, but pretty much, it's about 6 friends as they venture through life in New York. The theme song sums it up pretty well.

An absolute classic, I love this show so much. It's funny, but can bring on some tears (both happy and sad!) This is such a great pick-me-up show, and you can pretty watch at any point in the show and still enjoy it, although you might miss out on some plot points. You grow really attached to the characters as well. There's 10 seasons, around 20 episodes in each, and the episodes run for around 20 mins each except for any special features. I rate this a 9/10. :-)

- Brooklyn Nine-Nine: This is about the people who work in the fictional 99th precinct for the NYPD. Mainly centres around the protagonist, Jake, but as it's a show with an ensemble cast, the other characters are featured quite a lot too.

I watched this straight after Friends because I was in the mood of watching comedies. This show is another one of those NYPD ones, but B99 really keeps everything real, and the portrayal of police work is on point. The characters you definitely get attached to, and the balance between serious and comedy is soooo good. Definitely an underrated show, such a good pick-me-up as well. Another thing to note: diversity in the show is amazing! There's 4 seasons, and a few episodes in the 5th. Episodes run for around 20 mins, except for special features and there's around 20ish episodes in each season. Highly recommend this show – I rate it a 9/10.

- Crime shows: NCIS (any), Bones, Law and Order / any crime shows are really great. The acting is great, plots are great (sometimes do get repetitive) and just everything. I recommend watching from the beginning, but if you're lazy (like... Bones has 12 seasons) you can just watch the episodes when the air on TV. I rate the shows above an overall 8.5/10!

- Suits: oh my goodness gracious words can't explain how much I LOVE Suits. This show is about a guy without a law degree who gets recruited for this top-tier corporate law firm. Features an ensemble cast, but the show still kinda focuses on the fake lawyer guy (Mike) and the guy who employs him (Harvey, who is just 😍).

Watched this one either before or after trials (most likely after) and I was absolutely hooked; it impacted a little on my pre-hsc prep. The whole show is quite accurate with all the legal stuff, hence why there's a lot of memes where watching Suits is like study for legal (not really). The characters are a little annoying at the beginning of the show, but they really grow on you and the character development can really be seen as the seasons progress. You do get a bit worried for Mike (protagonist) when it looks like he's going to be found out. Highly enjoyable show to watch – a good balance of humour and seriousness. There's 6 1/2 seasons, with around 16 episodes per season running for about 40 mins each. I rate this a 9/10!

- Riverdale: put simply, his is a darker version of the Archie comics, where a guy called Jason Blossom gets murdered, and the whole idealistic small town image of Riverdale is shattered.

This is a very overrated show, but it's so easy to get hooked. Even though there's about 200 plot holes in the show, and the acting isn't that great, you still get hooked – you just can't help it. There's 1 season, and they're in the middle of season 2. I rate this a 6/10 hahaha

And here's the big one... HISTORICAL DRAMAS.

- The Crown: centres around the life of Queen Elizabeth II, and her early reign. The first episode shows a bit of her life before becoming queen, but other than that, it's just her as queen. The performances are amazing and the whole royal backdrop is ace. You can watch this show on Netflix (Season 1 has 10 episodes, season 2 comes out on December 8 YAY)

The drama in the show is accentuated just that bit more to draw the audience in, but other than that, the historical accuracy is pretty spot on (judging from a bit of research after watching this episode). Not going to lie, the episodes are long – 50-60 mins each – but they are so well made, and you can see the work that has been put into this show. The acting is absolutely amazing and although watching a documentary kinda series about the queen sounds boring, it really isn't. I rate this a 9.5/10!

- Outlander: put simply, this show is about a woman who time travels through some stones in Scotland, and is transported back in time to the 1740s, when she originally was in the 1940s.

This is veeeeery different from what I usually watch, but it's great. A thing to note is that although the characters are fictional, many of the events aren't, and the way they are portrayed is quite accurate which is a plus! It's been compared to Game of Thrones, because it's quite gory in some places, and there are many sex scenes. This show is quite easy to get hooked on, but it's a lot harder to watch a ton in one sitting, especially because the episodes are long. There's 2 seasons, currently in the 3rd, with 13 episodes per season, running for about 50 mins for a regular one and 1.5 hours for a special feature. I rate this an 8/10.

- Victoria (ITV): like The Crown, this is about a queen's life – in this case, Queen Victoria and her early reign.

Well, this show is good, but bad. At first, it was relatively accurate, but the second season was a bit of a flop accuracy wise – only the acting kinda saved it. The writer of the show is quite biased towards Victoria as a pioneer of her time, when in fact, she was still very much a product of her time. (and showing the possibility of a romantic relationship with Lord Melbourne... what even) The good part is the portrayal of Victoria and Albert, which are good performances (as well as the rest of the cast) but the rest is a bit of a letdown. There's 2 seasons, 8 episodes each, which are around 40-45 mins each. I rate this a 6/10.

Oooookay I think that's it. If any of you have any recommendations or anything show-related to discuss, this is the thread for it :-) I hope this thread is successful hahaha

Have a good night everyone!!
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 08:27:53 pm by fantasticbeasts3 »
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies
2018-2022: B International Studies/B Media (PR & Advertising) @ UNSW

-elcee

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +4
Re: AN TV show discussion and recommendations!
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 08:23:17 pm »
+5
I haven't finished my exams yet but I'm procrastinating on ATARnotes while im on a study break haha
I recommend "The Office", it's really funny, you'll have a great time watching it :) !

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 08:26:39 pm »
+3
I haven't finished my exams yet but I'm procrastinating on ATARnotes while im on a study break haha
I recommend "The Office", it's really funny, you'll have a great time watching it :) !

ooooh i've heard good things about The Office!! sounds awesome – definitely adding it to the shows i need to watch :-) best of luck with the rest of your exams!
HSC 2017: English (Standard) // Mathematics // Modern History // Legal Studies // Business Studies

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • Respect: +2877
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2017, 08:29:16 pm »
+6
-Game of Thrones. Easily the best TV show.
- Black Books
- The IT Crowd
- Broadchurch. Loved this. Can't wait for season 3.

I want to watch The 100 and Vikings on my break so will see how I like them. :)

I've tried Daredevil, The Defenders, Suits and Orange is the New Black, but just couldn't get into them. Enjoyed a fair few of the episodes, but they just don't have the wow factor that makes me really interested and keen to binge watch or anything.

fantasticbeasts3

• NSW MVP - 2018
  • HSC Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2017, 08:35:40 pm »
+2
-Game of Thrones. Easily the best TV show.
- Black Books
- The IT Crowd
- Broadchurch. Loved this. Can't wait for season 3.

I want to watch The 100 and Vikings on my break so will see how I like them. :)

I've tried Daredevil, The Defenders, Suits and Orange is the New Black, but just couldn't get into them. Enjoyed a fair few of the episodes, but they just don't have the wow factor that makes me really interested and keen to binge watch or anything.

oooh i could never get into Game of Thrones; bit weird considering I watch Outlander, but it was far too gory - i barely got through the first episode. maybe another time! what are the last three you mentioned about?

yea it's alright about the shows you can't get into - at the end of the day, it's all about personal preference.

do you have exams now? if so, good luck!!!

Potatohater

• Forum Leader
  • All the world's a stage & this is my improvisation
  • Respect: +302
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2017, 08:41:17 pm »
+7
There's quite a few good shows around (obvs) but here's what I've been watching at the moment

- the good doctor (omg it grosses me out when they do surgeries but it's still so good!!!)
- Rosehaven (accidentally watched all of season 1 instead of drama study, whoops...)
- Plebs (right up your alley if you do ancient as it's set in Ancient Rome, also really funny)
- the letdown (the unfortunatley hilarious reality of having a baby)
HSC 2017: Advanced English [85] General Maths [92] Biology [96] Geography [92] Drama [86]

2018: Bachelor of Arts and Advanced Studies at University of Sydney

-- need a tutor for any of the subjects listed above?? I reckon I'm the girl! Just message me on ATAR notes or here--

lilyrosee

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2017, 08:51:51 pm »
+4
New show on Netflix called 'Alias Grace' only 6 episodes - perfect to watch during exams as a study break. Based on the novel by Margaret Atwood, very similar to Hannah Kent's Burial Rites  :)
2016: Psychology
2017: English [47] | Literature | Drama [42] | Media | Australian History [43]
2018 - 2020: Bachelor of Arts @ the University of Melbourne

VCE English Essay Marking $10 per essay or 3 essays for $20 - DM for details

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2017, 09:07:42 pm »
+3
oooh i could never get into Game of Thrones; bit weird considering I watch Outlander, but it was far too gory - i barely got through the first episode. maybe another time! what are the last three you mentioned about?

yea it's alright about the shows you can't get into - at the end of the day, it's all about personal preference.

do you have exams now? if so, good luck!!!
Black Books and the IT Crowd are UK comedy shows, Broadchurch is a murder mystery drama thing! It has David Tennant. I love it because it's not just solving one murder each episode and repeating the same structure - it follows this one murder and other things going on at the same time. Can't say much without giving it away haha but gosh it's good!

RE: exams, thanks! Had my clinical one today which was my last one, provided I haven't failed any because otherwise I'll have to do supps next week haha.

Looking forward to catching up on some TV shows 8)

vox nihili

• National Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +1447
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2017, 09:40:28 pm »
+5
The Thick of It is hands down the best comedy out there. It centres around the department of social affairs in the UK, and basically follows them as they stuff up everything and get destroyed by the communications director by the government. Sounds shit, actually great
2013-15: BBiomed (Biochemistry and Molecular Biology), UniMelb
2016-20: MD, UniMelb
2019-20: MPH, UniMelb
2021-: GDipBiostat, USyd

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2017, 09:43:06 pm »
+3
As promised (@NSW meet-up people) the AN TV Show discussion and recommendations thread! If you're bored after finishing exams (or just procrastinating) maybe some of these shows will be great for you to watch.

- Outlander: put simply, this show is about a woman who time travels through some stones in Scotland, and is transported back in time to the 1740s, when she originally was in the 1940s.

This is veeeeery different from what I usually watch, but it's great. A thing to note is that although the characters are fictional, many of the events aren't, and the way they are portrayed is quite accurate which is a plus! It's been compared to Game of Thrones, because it's quite gory in some places, and there are many sex scenes. This show is quite easy to get hooked on, but it's a lot harder to watch a ton in one sitting, especially because the episodes are long. There's 2 seasons, currently in the 3rd, with 13 episodes per season, running for about 50 mins for a regular one and 1.5 hours for a special feature. I rate this an 8/10.

This has been recommended to me three times now! Looks like this is next on my list!!

Although I found some episodes to be really slow, I loved Orange is the New Black. I'm about to start Stranger Things as per the extreme hype!
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

K888

• VIC MVP - 2017
  • National Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2017, 09:51:22 pm »
+4
The Thick of It is hands down the best comedy out there. It centres around the department of social affairs in the UK, and basically follows them as they stuff up everything and get destroyed by the communications director by the government. Sounds shit, actually great
"I’ve got a to-do list here that’s longer than a fucking Leonard Cohen song"

Love the Thick of It. Brothers got me into it. So hilarious haha

sudodds

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • "Seize the means of the HSC" ~ Vladimir Lenin
  • Respect: +931
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2017, 10:26:39 pm »
+7
I found the first season of game of thrones very difficult to get into - watched first 5 episodes, then didn't watch the rest for another year! The first season is quite expositional, because they have so many characters, plots and context to establish. But after I pushed through, hands down is now my favourite show. I'd give it another go!!

Other recommendations;

- American Horror Story: In particular Season 1! On of my favourite shows, that is really really really easy to get into, because every season is a different story, meaning that you can start at any season! The cast is really great imo - Evan Peters (so underrated, but this season has really proved his stuff, he played Jim Jones in an episode, someone who i've done a lot of research on for multiple highschool and uni assessments and he absolutely nailed it - almost thought I was watching stock footage from the event he got the voice so perfect), Sarah Paulson, Kathy Bates, Angela Bassett, etc. etc. Season 1 is definitely the stand out for me, but its one of those shows that I feel like there is a season for everyone.

Season 1, Murder House - Generally amazing. Most people will enjoy this one.
Season 2, Asylum - Great for proper horror fans.
Season 3, Coven - Great for non-horror fans. A lot more comedic, light hearted.
Season 4, Freak Show - Kind of a mixture between seasons 2 and 3. Some great horror stuff, but also a lot of drama.
Season 5, Hotel - Imo a bit of a dud (mainly cos Jessica Lange left), but good for people that are into more abstract shows.
Season 6, Roanoke - Okay a lot of people didn't like this one but I really enjoyed it. Definitely more for horror fans.
Season 7, Cult - Another dud imo unfortunately, which is sad because Evan has been fantastic in this season. Still worth watching, but in comparison to others, not as good.

- Hannibal: Unfortunately got cancelled way too soon, but first three seasons are tops! One of the most aesthetically pleasing shows going (which is odd because it is literally about cannibalism), the writing/acting is incredible (Hugh Dancy is also very pretty just saying) and also super diverse cast which is really cool!

- Misfits (UK): Loved this show! Lost interest after Nathan left (such a good character), but the first two seasons are great. A lot of comedy, but also some really touching/emotional scenes as well. Acting is really good, seasons aren't too long either, so not an intimidating task to get through it.

- the Office (UK): Just a really really good comedy. I really like the US Office, but I find the UK Office more engaging because the characters are just have so much more depth imo (it's also what the US Office is based on - first season of the US Office has a very similar plot line if I recall). Like, David Brent is hilarious, but theres almost a sadness to his character as well. Less slapstick comedic moments than the US, so if thats your thing you may not like it, but its british humour at its finest (sorry elyse :( ) Again, also only 2 seasons, so really easy to complete.

Also about to start Stranger Things! Hopefully lives up to expectations.

EDIT: Forgot to mention Death Note! Never been much of an anime fan, but this was a seriously good show. So extremely well written (really really really clever plot) and the animation was really nice. Highly recommend (though I don't highly recommend the Netflix movie based on it - that was shit. just. utter. shit.)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 10:30:02 pm by sudodds »
FREE HISTORY EXTENSION LECTURE - CLICK HERE FOR INFO!

2016 HSC: Modern History (18th in NSW) | History Extension (2nd place in the HTA Extension History Essay Prize) | Ancient History | Drama | English Advanced | Studies of Religion I | Economics

ATAR: 97.80

Studying a Bachelor of Communications: Media Arts and Production at UTS 😊

Looking for a history tutor? I'm ya girl! Feel free to send me a PM if you're interested!

lyoko

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +51
  • School Grad Year: 2017
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2017, 10:38:39 pm »
+6
A few I would like to recommend is 'Orphan Black' - takes a while for the show to establish itself but really good once it hits, as well as 'How To Get Away With Murder.' 'Grimm' is sort of like 'Once Upon A Story' meets 'NCIS' - pretty good. Speaking of detectives, Hawaii 5-O! Love it!
I've also tried 'Scream Queens' but could never keep up with it - if anyone has watched it, could you let me know if it's worth watching once exams are over?

appleandbee

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +200
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2017, 11:59:31 pm »
+7
My standard for my recommendations are things that are binge worthy.

Gossip Girl

I never expected to like this show because teen drama isn't exactly really my genre, but this show is surprisingly good and addictive.  The main characters while not flawless in personality are well developed and engaging, and the storyline and filming is very good. It's the work of the producers that made a high- quality and funny drama full of plot-twists out of something that could have been thrashy (although trashy can be good at times). It's on Netflix and I finished all 6 seasons in just over a month, so go and watch it!

Master of none

The number of people that do not know who Aziz Ansari is astounds me. This guy is a genius, Master of none is witty, fresh, has a well-developed story line and does a great job at exploring social issues. Also very good representation of people of colour and lgbt actors.

Stranger things

No other show like it, horror tv series are difficult to pull of (as it's challenging to create a storyline that actually engages viewers episode after episode without becoming more of the same), but Stranger Things does it. Nostalgic, Scary and endearing.

Walking dead

After season 5, the storyline became more of the same (haven't followed it since watching the first few episodes of the season, but I'll get back to it), but the first 2-4 seasons were very emotionally gripping. Well worth watching.

Revenge

I think it was mainly the protagonist- Emily that make the show addictive and juicy. She was such a complex character that gave the show the layers of depth. I also found her character extremely relatable and helped me explore my inner feelings.

How I met your mother

I grew up watching that show. It's a classic.

Grey's Anatomy

The tragedies and how the characters develop and strengthen relationships from them pulls the emotional heartstrings.

Black Mirror

As you may be able to tell from my previous comments, I'm a suckered for thoughtfully developed story lines and characters. But Black Mirror's anthology style, variety and the  multitude of alternate realities presented is thought provoking.

I've only watched a few episodes of Orange is the new Black because I found it too slow to hook me early on unlike other shows. I'm looking to catch up on The Blacklist,  the first season was very good but I've haven't kept up with it since. I'm also really looking forward to Maniac which comes out on Netflix next year, it's of dark comedy genre set in a psychiatric ward (which provides an opportunity to explore some thought- provoking issues) and Emma Stone is in it.

VCE Class of 2015

Studying Anthropology, Philosophy and Biology at Unimelb

beatroot

• HSC LECTURER
  • Honorary Moderator
  • Part of the furniture
  • Respect: +1566
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2017, 10:19:06 pm »
+7
Have sooo many shows to recommend!!

Suits
Currently binge watching Suits after hearing all about the memes about how Legal Studies students watch the show to revise. I just finished season 3 and what can I say? Amazing acting. Amazing story line. Amazing characters. I love watching law shows because it gets my heart racing and I love the passion and emotions.

Crazy Ex-Girlfriend
Feel like people NEVER give this show a chance because of its title but ITS REALLY NOT what you think. A lawyer Rebecca Bunch moves from New York to West Covina to chase down her ex-boyfriend Josh Chan because she feels that she's happy the most when she's with him. The show is so diverse, its unreal. We have a Jewish protagonist, a Filipino love interest, a bisexual Native American head of firm, two Latino characters, an interracial couple and their hilarious daughter and more! The show attempts to challenge the whole notion of the 'crazy ex-girlfriend' label. The protagonist actually has a lot of mental issues due to her dad leaving her, her dependence on men for her happiness and burning down ex-boyfriend memorabilia which has led to her arson charges in court. This is mostly explored in late season two and season three. Did I also mention the show is a MUSICAL?! There are probably 2-4 songs per episode and they're actually really catchy.

Stranger Things
Of course who doesn't love Mike, Lucas, Dustin, Will, Eleven, Max, Nancy, Jonathan, STEVE, Joyce and Hopper? At first, I did think the show was a bit unoriginal because of the whole alien in a suburb plot but what makes up for it are the actors and their characters. These child actors are by far so much better than all the actors on those teen shows and Hollywood films. There isn't really a specific genre for the show. It could be horror, family, comedy, romance, ANYTHING! Thank you Duffer brothers for portraying a beautiful friendship between all the characters. Beautifully written.

Jane the Virgin
Not gonna lie but I haven't watched the latest episodes because I got a bit bored but anyways.. But what caught my attention is the predominantly Latino cast, the influence of the 'telenovela' and the THEMES. I love how Jane (the main character) breaks Latino stereotypes which is groundbreaking and so refreshing. The show also has an omnipresent narrator (influenced by telenovelas) and the story lines are kind of based on telenovelas (ie; accidental pregnancy, long lost twin, sudden murder, etc). Some of the themes include abortion, Catholicism, single/shared parenting, financial problems etc, emphasis on virginity (definitely a HUGE theme as obvious by the title), cheating, divorce etc.

The Inbetweeners
Feel like this show would only be funny to those who are British and/or have lived in the UK previously. As someone who has lived in the UK before, this show is the most accurate representation of the UK. The show is basically about Simon, Will, Jay and Neil and their final year in sixth form (the equivalent of Year 12 in the UK). The show is quite inappropriate because of the jokes, but go past that and you see four lost boys just trying to make it through and go above and beyond their title as the 'inbetweeners'. You do kind of feel sorry for them at times.

Bad Education
This show is about a history teacher called Alfie Wickers who teaches at the fictional school of Abbey Grove. What I like about this show is that its set in a school setting BUT it focuses on the teacher rather than the students. In this show, we see Alfie trying to ask out a fellow colleague, deal with his class (who he is really close with despite his terrible teaching and their terrible grades.. they see him more as a friend than a teacher), deal with the principal and the bullies in the school (despite being a teacher himself). What stood out to me in this show was definitely his healthy relationships with his students because he actually takes time to be there for his students. This was definitely something I yearned to look for in the media because I respect my teachers so much just like the students do to Alfie.

Law & Order: Special Victims Unit (SVU)
Old but a classic. I love how this show raises awareness of sexual assault which is definitely an issue as evident in today's media. It's nice to see dedicated detectives for ones rather than corrupt ones in real life

Brooklyn Nine-Nine
NINE NINE!! This show is literally the MOST wholesome show I've ever watched. Everyone is so precious and so happy. Plus its a police show and a mockumentary rolled up in one. Two of my favourites at once! Please watch it. I don't want to give too much away
Which will hold greater rule over you? Your fear or your curiosity?

Please note that I am no longer active on the forums.
If you need any assistance, please message an admin or a natmod instead.