Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:37:28 pm

Author Topic: Trouble with Psych exam questions!  (Read 13909 times)  Share 

amyminchin

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Finished...
  • Respect: +2
Re: Trouble with Psych exam questions!
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2008, 10:06:47 am »
like, it's only relatively permanent, so it's not completly permanent. Classical conditioning and Operant condition if the association/reinforcement is kept up in a variable schedule can be fairly permanent.

you don't really need to know why a definition is the way it is.
english.further.psych.lit.media
ENTER of 85.05

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes. - Douglas Adams

2009-
Arts/Teaching (Secondary) at ACU

khalil

« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2008, 10:33:22 am »
Rhonda believes that acting out a passage from a novel is a better method for learning the passage than simply
reading and repeating it to oneself. She thinks this would be true for all VCE students in Victoria.
To test her idea, Rhonda uses two Year 12 Psychology classes at her all girls school. Forty-six students are
randomly assigned to one of two groups. One group acts out the passage in front of the rest of the class. The
other group is given the passage and told to read and repeat it quietly to themselves.
Each participant then sits a comprehensive test and Rhonda marks and records the number of correct
answers.
The results are as follows.
Group 1 (acting out the passage): Mean test score = 80%
Group 2 (reading and repeating the passage to oneself): Mean test score = 70%
A statistical test on these results found that p > 0.05.

my operational hypothesis: Year 12 students who act out a passage will score higher on a comprehensive test based on that passage than those who repeat the passage quietly to themselves.

VCCA :VCE students who act out a passage from a novel will learn the passage better than students who read and repeat the novel to themselves.

Is the population the group you think it is going to apply or to the group you actually tested?
Will my hypothesis be incorrect?

rh

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +7
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2008, 10:40:40 am »
the population is the group you think it's going to apply to

and i don't know research methods that well, but i think yours is more correct. i thought an operational hypothesis is meant to be specific and identify the IV and DV, which yours does. the vcaa one seems wrong to me? :/

khalil

« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2008, 10:57:37 am »
oo thanks rh, there are so many complications in research methods which is why i decided to study it last.

rh

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2008, 11:04:41 am »
no problems, but don't take my word for it, i really haven't given research methods a lot of time. maybe someone else can give a proper explanation of what an operational hypothesis is meant to include/look like because now i'm a bit confused.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 11:06:33 am by rh »

nickalaz

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2008, 05:10:34 pm »
vcaa haven't operationalised the term 'learn' in that hypothesis... i dont think
to operationalise learn/learning - you say:
eg: 'score higher on a comprehensive test'
'make less errors on a driving simulator' etc etc

bturville

« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2008, 05:16:40 pm »
yep, i'm pretty sure thats right.

khalil

« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2008, 05:38:18 pm »
Does anyone know any strengths or limitations of stratifed sampling?

rh

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2008, 05:40:09 pm »
see the 'life or death' thread!

khalil

« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2008, 05:52:29 pm »
yer i did but i didint understand the answers there

ursus

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2008, 06:02:20 pm »
strengths are that it's more representative of the population, and lim's are that it's time consuming.
VCE '07-'08: History (35), International Studies (36), Indonesian (38), Literature (40), Pyschology (49); ENTER: 96.15
2009: Bachelor of Arts/Diploma of Languages (Indonesian) @ the University of Melbourne.

jess3254

« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2008, 06:43:07 pm »
yer i did but i didint understand the answers there

Ok, well, this is an explanation I typed out for someone a while back:

Stratified sampling:
Involves dividing the target population into important subcategories (or strata. They may be divided according to gender, age, income, IQ, socioeconomic background etc) and then selecting members of these subcategories in the proportion that they occur in the target population.

This might be a bit confusing, so for example, just say we were doing some research on individuals with Asperger’s syndrome (a type of Autism). The target population is individuals with Asperger’s. However, Asperger’s is a lot more common in men.

So, just say in the actual Asperger’s population, 75% who have the condition are men and 25% are women (this probably isn't statistically correct btw). So, in a sample of 20 participants in our investigation, we would replicate the target population so that 15 participants are men and 5 are women (or 75% are men and 25% are women) to represent the actual population better.

Strengths:
-A deliberate effort is made to identify the characteristics of a sample most important to be representative of the target population. (In other words, stratified sampling gives you a representative sample of your population on the basis of those identified characteristics you want to investigate... in the example above, researchers replicated the Aspergers population according to gender.)

Weaknesses:
-Stratified sampling is time consuming because characteristics in the population have to be identified, and a calculation of their ratio of occurrence worked out. This is to ensure the correct ratios in your stratified sample.

Hope that makes sense :)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2008, 07:01:33 pm by jessie0 »

rh

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2008, 08:22:43 pm »
i don't think there has been a single topic that i haven't had trouble with. so over psych right now. :'(

khalil

« Reply #43 on: November 02, 2008, 09:04:30 pm »
thanks jessie and rh, but random sampling is also representative of the population so can i say that stratified sampling enables the researcher to study particular characteristics?

khalil

« Reply #44 on: November 04, 2008, 10:46:51 am »
Many students suggested that she would conclude that the difference was probably due to chance alone – this is incorrect and shows a lack of understanding of the concept of statistical significance at the five per cent level.

Can someone please explan whaat this means, it relates to Q8 on VCAA 05