Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 11:19:49 pm

Author Topic: Trouble with Psych exam questions!  (Read 13909 times)  Share 

arthurk

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +3
Re: Trouble with Psych exam questions!
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2008, 12:31:48 pm »
What it basically means is that students concluded that the results were due to chance
What should really of been said is that no statistical conclusion could be made as with a p value of p>0.05 the results were not statistically significant.
If it was more than one mark and gave more than one line to write on i would continue to write that the p value showed that there was a greater than 5 in 100 chance that the change in the dependent variable was due to chance factors rather than the influence of the independent variable (but all in all the first thing you should say is that no statistical conclusion can be made as long as the p value is greater than 0.05 or in other words p>0.05)

BUT YOU SHOULD NEVER CONCLUDE THAT THE RESULTS ARE DUE TO CHANCE BECAUSE THAT IS NOT SOMETHING WE ARE RESEARCHING, CONCLUSIONS SHOULD ONLY BE MADE WHEN THE P VALUE IS EQUAL TO OR LESS THAN 0.05, AND SHOULD ONLY BE MADE ABOUT HOW THE INDEPENDENT VARIABLE HAS AFFECTED THE DEPENDENT VARIABLE

if that makes sense

AppleThief

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2008, 12:47:45 pm »
Yep, p > 0.05 means that there is greater than a 5% chance that the results were due to chance, which is too high to be acceptable, which is why they are deemed not statistically significant

The assessment report noted that students thought that p > 0.05 means there was a 100% likelihood the results were due to chance!

arthurk

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #47 on: November 04, 2008, 01:00:03 pm »
can we really say that there is a 5 in 100 chance that results are due to chance thats kinda weird using chance twice but i cant find a better word, sometimes i use the "likelihood that the results are due to chance factors and not the independent variable is greater than 5 in 100" but sometimes it doesnt flow and i end up using the double chance sentence

AppleThief

• Victorian
  • Forum Leader
  • Respect: +6
« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2008, 01:46:39 pm »
you could say: 5% likelihood, 5% probability

khalil

« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2008, 01:57:25 pm »
oh thanks guys
arthuk, so are u saying that a conclusion can never be made if the results are not statistically significant?
In a few trial exams, even though the reults were not statistically significant they still gave a conclusion
this is all just too confusing

Lulu

• Victorian
  • Trendsetter
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2008, 02:11:20 pm »
I think what they are generally after for these types of questions is...

Q. What conclusions can be drawn?

-> NONE: If there are no inferential statistics (e.g. no p-value)

or

-> The results are statistically significant, difference in mean scores is due to the IV, not chance. (refer to p-value, e.g. p-value < 0.05)

or

-> The results are not statistically significant, difference in mean scores is not significant and due to chance, rather than the IV. (refer to p-value, e.g. p-value > 0.05)

Q. Can the results be generalised to the population?

-> YES, sample is random and representative of the population

or

-> NO, sample is not random and not representative of the population

Hope that helps a bit
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 02:13:44 pm by Lulu »
[english][methods][spesh][psych][chinese][BM]
Aiming for an ENTER of 95+

arthurk

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #51 on: November 04, 2008, 03:07:24 pm »
all the exams ive done ive never seen them conclude anything if results were not statistically significant
however i have seen in past exams i doubt it applies now cause of the crappy p values in study design, that they give you a graph and a description of study etc and they ask you what can be concluded, in which checkpoints gave a conclusion but in theory no p value was given thus can we really make a conclusion?
if in the exam we see a descriptive statistic and no inferential statistic and they ask us for a conclusion do we assume its a trick question or do we assume its statistically significant now theres a dilemna.

Eriny

• The lamp of enlightenment
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
  • Respect: +100
« Reply #52 on: November 04, 2008, 03:22:20 pm »
If they ask you to draw a conclusion on the exam and there is no p value, you could say "assuming the results are statistically significant... [draw conclusion]"

One year (was it last year?) they asked what conclusions you could draw from the descriptive statistics only, in which case you could say something like "ignoring the inferential statistics, one can conclude...[conclusion]"

It's really up to you. Just make sure that you can demonstrate that you know how this part of the course works and you'll be fine.

arthurk

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2008, 03:33:43 pm »
yeah i see what u mean, you make a good point
but don't know if assessors will really mark us correct if we ever said "assuming the results are statistically significant.." unless over like half of us did the same thing.
then again half of the people would just conclude something oblivious of inferential statistics and descriptive statistics cause they think psych is so easy and they won't study for it.
Oh well they are the ones that make it easier for us to get higher marks.
hey eriny since you're probably more experienced with study scores etc, what do u believe the lowest mark is for 2 A+ in exams and A+ all sacs, i heard someone got all A+ and got 42 which i thought was rather dissappointing, whats your take on it?

hilal

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • Respect: +1
« Reply #54 on: November 04, 2008, 03:35:45 pm »
I think what they are generally after for these types of questions is...

Q. What conclusions can be drawn?

-> NONE: If there are no inferential statistics (e.g. no p-value)

or

-> The results are statistically significant, difference in mean scores is due to the IV, not chance. (refer to p-value, e.g. p-value < 0.05)

or

-> The results are not statistically significant, difference in mean scores is not significant and due to chance, rather than the IV. (refer to p-value, e.g. p-value > 0.05)

Q. Can the results be generalised to the population?

-> YES, sample is random and representative of the population

or

-> NO, sample is not random and not representative of the population

Hope that helps a bit

i get it luluu =DD wooo thankss !!!
english (36+) wooo exam was good =D
turkish (36+) woooo hopeful
health and human development (40+) i can doo ittt !!
psychology (34+) exam wasnt that badd !
economics (35+) VCAA better make this exam doable.
maths (25) LOL maths can go die.

enterscore = 80+

arthurk

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #55 on: November 04, 2008, 03:50:41 pm »
b. Of the main methods that are used to assess memory retention, which method generally results in the best performance in healthy elderly people?
The answer was recognition, hey we would of probably all of said that because it says elderly people we immediately think recognition is better than recall so lets write recognition, but are we ignoring the fact that relearning is the most sensitive measure of retention is vcaa saying that:
1. relearning is not a 'main method' to assess memory retention
2. that recognition is somehow better for old people than relearning

Eriny

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #56 on: November 04, 2008, 03:54:54 pm »
hey eriny since you're probably more experienced with study scores etc, what do u believe the lowest mark is for 2 A+ in exams and A+ all sacs, i heard someone got all A+ and got 42 which i thought was rather dissappointing, whats your take on it?
If you get all A+ for Psych, you should expect over 40. I know it sounds disappointing, but it puts you in the top 9% of the state, it's really nothing to be disappointed about.

Eriny

• Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Superstar
« Reply #57 on: November 04, 2008, 03:56:33 pm »
b. Of the main methods that are used to assess memory retention, which method generally results in the best performance in healthy elderly people?
The answer was recognition, hey we would of probably all of said that because it says elderly people we immediately think recognition is better than recall so lets write recognition, but are we ignoring the fact that relearning is the most sensitive measure of retention is vcaa saying that:
1. relearning is not a 'main method' to assess memory retention
2. that recognition is somehow better for old people than relearning
Was that a VCAA question?

arthurk

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
« Reply #58 on: November 04, 2008, 04:05:53 pm »
yeah vcaa 2004
surprised huh

Amnesiac

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +26
« Reply #59 on: November 04, 2008, 05:02:43 pm »
I don't think that question is to confusing. Firstly, when you study memory decline with age you only look at recognition and recall. Secondly, from our knowledge we can gather that recall appears to decline with age as people become less confident/less motivated, but recognition does not appear to be harmed. Therefore, with that question one could conclude that recognition 'results in the best performance'.
2007 | Visual Communication and Design [37] VCE VET Hospitality [39]
2008 | Media Studies [42] English [40] History Revolutions [40] Further Mathematics [39] Psychology [37]
ENTER | 91.15

2009 | Arts/Education [Secondary] - Monash Clayton.