Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 28, 2024, 10:05:26 pm

Author Topic: My HSC story - PeriPeri101  (Read 19168 times)

PeriPeri101

• Trailblazer
  • dramatic at heart
  • Respect: +25
My HSC story - PeriPeri101
« on: March 26, 2019, 10:03:41 pm »
+11
hey everyone!  :D

So I have been doing some late night reads on ATAR Notes (as we all do right?!) and i loved the idea of the HSC journal. Been reading other peoples and it has inspired me to my own. Hopefully, end of year 12, or whenever in my life I can read this and realise all this stress was probably for nothing  ;D
Anyways my name is Ella and I am currently in Year 11. I have found the transition from Year 10 to Year 11 really hard. All my Year 12 friends say 'just you wait' so that's exciting...
The subjects that I take you can see below when I make a comment.
At the moment I am loving the freedom of choice with m subjects and my new found independence...all but one subject. Legal Studies. In another thread I have discussed my troubles with a teacher, but let's just say her teaching methods are not working for me. I feel like I am falling behind on study and my notes. The assessment next Tuesday is on 5 chapters an we are only up to chapter 4. But I have great friends in the class so that is what is getting me through. Also I have a friend who has graduated Uni studying politics and law so he is becoming a great resource for me at the moment.
Advanced Maths is going well at the moment, which is surprising as really my pathway was meat to do standard but I really wanted to advanced. My tutouring and efforts are paying off. I am just hoping that I will remember everything for my test; although we get to bring in a cheat sheet.  ;D
Work/school balance is something I am also trying to focus on as well as I do not want to become too invested in my job.

Anyways. If anyone has gotten this far thank you  :D and I hope that I am actually motivated to keep adding to this journal
subjects - year 12 2020: Biology - Society and Culture - Drama - Advanced Mathematics - Advanced English - Studies of Religion

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Re: My HSC story - PeriPeri101
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 09:43:20 am »
+2
Hey Ella! Great to have you here. :)

I'd try not to take heaps of notice to your friends speaking about Year 12 to be honest - in many ways, I actually found Year 11 more difficult!

Otherwise, it sounds as though things are going pretty well atm? Any ideas for what you'd like to do after the HSC? :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

PeriPeri101

• Trailblazer
  • dramatic at heart
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 10:15:51 pm »
+2
Hey Ella! Great to have you here. :)

I'd try not to take heaps of notice to your friends speaking about Year 12 to be honest - in many ways, I actually found Year 11 more difficult!

Otherwise, it sounds as though things are going pretty well atm? Any ideas for what you'd like to do after the HSC? :)

Gap year definitely. Tossing up between full time work or a program called Year 13.
In terms of career, I have too many ideas! English/Drama teaching, psychologist, personal assistant, social worker. But it would have to be something where i get to communicate with people a lot
subjects - year 12 2020: Biology - Society and Culture - Drama - Advanced Mathematics - Advanced English - Studies of Religion

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2019, 04:01:23 pm »
Gap year definitely. Tossing up between full time work or a program called Year 13.
In terms of career, I have too many ideas! English/Drama teaching, psychologist, personal assistant, social worker. But it would have to be something where i get to communicate with people a lot

Nice one! I've heard of Year 13 but honestly don't know much about it - what's involved?

PeriPeri101

• Trailblazer
  • dramatic at heart
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2019, 07:30:35 am »
+1
Nice one! I've heard of Year 13 but honestly don't know much about it - what's involved?

well there is the website Year13 which helps people after school then theres the program called Year 13 where its an actual gap year. Its a Christian gap year, and you get to do heaps of mission work and even go to Fiji

Natasha.97

• NSW MVP - 2017
  • Forum Leader
  • ~
  • Respect: +667
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2019, 03:53:25 pm »

Keep in mind that you don't have to stick with one career your entire life! Do what you're most passionate about first, or do 2-3 at the same time (part-time/casual) :)
Life is weird and crazy as heck but what can you do?

PeriPeri101

• Trailblazer
  • dramatic at heart
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2019, 08:01:28 pm »
+6
update!

week 2 of a new term! last term was definitely a tough one and I am slowly getting into the rhythm of year 11.
Well what do you know I got top of the year for legal studies, amidst my struggles with my teacher. It was good as I am using this as encouragement to just stick it out, regardless of my teacher - it is my accountability.

I also bought an iPad for my summary notes and other school things rather than just using my laptop. The memory retention of writing and being easily able to export, save and transport my notes is why it really appealed to me - and I have been loving it so far!

Let's just see how the rest of the term goes!

Joseph41

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2019, 02:39:22 pm »
Nice one! What sort of iPad did you get?

mango8

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +58
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2019, 05:10:11 pm »
+1
Let's just see how the rest of the term goes!

Hey Ella! How are you finding Term 2 so far? Transitioning is definitely really hard, it can be such a difference particularly workload wise. Take my word, next year you'll be hit with way more than you can handle, so take care of yourself and try to stay on top of everything. And your possible career options are incredibly fascinating to me (mainly because I've considered all of them at some point haha). Year 13 sounds like a heap of fun! And congrats on doing so well in legal studies, that's an amazing achievement, you should be really proud of yourself!! Proves you can do anything you set your mind to, so your perseverance to stick with it is really inspiring! Ooh I've always thought about an iPad but I've always had a laptop, but seen all these medical students on youtube use an iPad for their notes and everything and it looks very interesting. How are you going with your notes and managing your time? What's your fav subject?

Keen to hear from you Ella, I'll be back 🌷

PeriPeri101

• Trailblazer
  • dramatic at heart
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2019, 09:02:58 pm »
Nice one! What sort of iPad did you get?

I got an iPad 6th Gen. It was around $750 for iPad and pencil incl. For me I do not need the iPad Pro at the moment and i think the normal iPad is more student friendly. Though I do brush lettering and art and have been loving doing it on my iPad, so if that becomes more serious in the future I may consider getting the iPad Pro.

PeriPeri101

• Trailblazer
  • dramatic at heart
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2019, 09:14:26 pm »
+2
Hey Ella! How are you finding Term 2 so far? Transitioning is definitely really hard, it can be such a difference particularly workload wise. Take my word, next year you'll be hit with way more than you can handle, so take care of yourself and try to stay on top of everything. And your possible career options are incredibly fascinating to me (mainly because I've considered all of them at some point haha). Year 13 sounds like a heap of fun! And congrats on doing so well in legal studies, that's an amazing achievement, you should be really proud of yourself!! Proves you can do anything you set your mind to, so your perseverance to stick with it is really inspiring! Ooh I've always thought about an iPad but I've always had a laptop, but seen all these medical students on youtube use an iPad for their notes and everything and it looks very interesting. How are you going with your notes and managing your time? What's your fav subject?

Keen to hear from you Ella, I'll be back 🌷

hi!!

Term 2 so far is generally pretty good! I should not be taking this time for granted though and stop procrastinating and finish my summary notes as I know it's going to ramp up fairly soon.

Yes I have way too many career ideas, it is sort of overwhelming, but for sure something where I communicate with people as I said before; have you gravitated towards a particular field?

Thank you! I was very surprised with my legal studies results and I think my teacher 'might' treat me a lot nicer now. Even at the parent teacher interviews my parents said they can definetly see what I mean about the teacher.

This youtuber who is a med student at Cambridge was literally my inspiration to get the iPad. We have to use a laptop at school but I use my iPad at home and it is really easy to transfer everything straight to my macbook. Best decision I made and I don't just use it for school I use it for my brush lettering as well which is really fun. I have only completed my biology notes so far and that's the only one up to date so I really need to catch up. For some subjects though, like English, it is hard to make summary notes because they don't really follow each dot point on the syllabus to a tee.

And....my favourite subject is Drama of course. Love my teacher, friends and everything about it. Honestly it is not a bludge like people think it is; it is just challenging in a different way.

mango8

• Trendsetter
  • Respect: +58
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2019, 06:37:04 pm »
+1
This youtuber who is a med student at Cambridge was literally my inspiration to get the iPad.

OMG not Ali Abdaal?? He's literally not even human hahaha! Yeah Year 11 is an ease into the work whereas Year 12 is just a sudden collision with a mountain of work which you aren't prepared for but you have to deal with it. I have the exact same problem re careers, I've changed a thousand times and still not set on what I want but it was funny to see that all your options were things that I enjoyed too, so many fields interest me, I think I'm not going to be stuck in only one for life, there's too much to try and experience! Yup they observe everything about your teachers except teachers have like a whole new persona in parent teacher interviews haha.

And oooh brush lettering I love watching that on youtube it's so aesthetically pleasing! I need to work on all my notes too especially for revs and geo, to keep them all up to date lol.

And I LOVE LOVE LOVE DRAMA TOO!!! If only we had that as a subject I would have for sure leapt straight on board, I love theatre so so much! In primary school my fav teacher ran a drama and dance club which I did and it was one of the highlights of my schooling time, it's just in my blood I guess! What are you doing in Drama right now? I wish I could join, I miss it so much!!

PeriPeri101

• Trailblazer
  • dramatic at heart
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2019, 11:33:29 pm »
OMG not Ali Abdaal?? He's literally not even human hahaha! Yeah Year 11 is an ease into the work whereas Year 12 is just a sudden collision with a mountain of work which you aren't prepared for but you have to deal with it. I have the exact same problem re careers, I've changed a thousand times and still not set on what I want but it was funny to see that all your options were things that I enjoyed too, so many fields interest me, I think I'm not going to be stuck in only one for life, there's too much to try and experience! Yup they observe everything about your teachers except teachers have like a whole new persona in parent teacher interviews haha.

And oooh brush lettering I love watching that on youtube it's so aesthetically pleasing! I need to work on all my notes too especially for revs and geo, to keep them all up to date lol.

And I LOVE LOVE LOVE DRAMA TOO!!! If only we had that as a subject I would have for sure leapt straight on board, I love theatre so so much! In primary school my fav teacher ran a drama and dance club which I did and it was one of the highlights of my schooling time, it's just in my blood I guess! What are you doing in Drama right now? I wish I could join, I miss it so much!!

Yess!! Ali Abdaal the british one. Yep he is not human at all; I don't know how he does it. But he is my inspiration honestly.

Does your school not offer drama? We are doing set design at the moment. So we get to make our own mini set, like little clay lounges and figurines and stuff. Everything has to be 1:25 scale though so that is tedious

brothanathan

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2019, 08:31:28 am »
+3

Yess!! Ali Abdaal the british one. Yep he is not human at all; I don't know how he does it. But he is my inspiration honestly.

Does your school not offer drama? We are doing set design at the moment. So we get to make our own mini set, like little clay lounges and figurines and stuff. Everything has to be 1:25 scale though so that is tedious

Thought I would never see his name mentioned on AN. He's an inspiration to me too.

PeriPeri101

• Trailblazer
  • dramatic at heart
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2019, 09:42:58 pm »
+1
Thought I would never see his name mentioned on AN. He's an inspiration to me too.

isn't he the greatest. would love to just have a sit down chat with him one day, would be fascinating.