Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 10:14:53 am

Author Topic: How hard is it to get 75%+ average at Monash?  (Read 6208 times)  Share 

Cacti

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: RMIT
  • School Grad Year: 2016
How hard is it to get 75%+ average at Monash?
« on: March 27, 2017, 04:13:24 am »
hello,

I was wondering how hard it is to achieve a 75%+ average in Monash specifically Arts subject? I was hoping to get 75%+ to transfer to a different course

thank you

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
Re: How hard is it to get 75%+ average at Monash?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 09:30:12 am »
+1
hello,

I was wondering how hard it is to achieve a 75%+ average in Monash specifically Arts subject? I was hoping to get 75%+ to transfer to a different course

thank you

Hey, Cacti. :)

I'd love to be able to give a definite answer, but this is such a subjective thing. Even if we went by statistics (so like, "x proportion of students achieves 75+"), there are too many variables to be sure.

What year level is the unit?
What is the unit itself?
How much experience do you have in that unit?
Most importantly, how willing are you to work hard?

Quite honestly, I don't think scoring 75+ for any Arts unit is out of reach. Most Arts units are fairly consistent in terms of assessment - so like, an essay or two, an exam, perhaps quizzes or participation. A lot of these marks you simply achieve through effort.

Would you be able to provide some more context? :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

Cacti

• Adventurer
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2017, 10:28:57 am »
+1
What is the unit itself?

Hey, thanks for the reply. I am a first-year student so I guess the year level of the units are first-year. I have very little experience with Arts and humanities subjects as i just graduated high school. In high school, I did all maths and science subjects with the exception of english. I am willing work 24/7 just to achieve 75%+, I am super determined. i believe i have a pretty decent work ethic with the occasional period of procrastination.

I am super stressed. My biggest concerns are talking to a lot of people who make it seem like an impossible task. I wouldn't consider myself as "bright" or "smart," possibly slightly below average, so the objective seems pretty daunting. I am currently majoring in Literary studies and its hard, for me, because I neglected English throughout high school in favour of my maths and science subjects. It feels like its a totally new subject to me and everyone else in the class speaks as if they've done it since the day they were born. They've got ideas, input and opinions, im just sitting there like "ok...."

miaow

• Victorian
  • Forum Regular
  • School Grad Year: 2015
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 11:10:37 am »
+1
I am super stressed. My biggest concerns are talking to a lot of people who make it seem like an impossible task. I wouldn't consider myself as "bright" or "smart," possibly slightly below average, so the objective seems pretty daunting. I am currently majoring in Literary studies and its hard, for me, because I neglected English throughout high school in favour of my maths and science subjects. It feels like its a totally new subject to me and everyone else in the class speaks as if they've done it since the day they were born. They've got ideas, input and opinions, im just sitting there like "ok...."

Hey Cacti,
I'm doing some Arts units at Monash so maybe I can help you out! I did ATS1903 Introduction to Reading last year, and I got a 77 without tooooo much work, however I am one of those people who loved Literature from day dot and focused on it in school. I had HD assessments and one memorable 13% Fail assessment (she later bumped it to 60). My in class average was about a 68 I think so I'm not sure if marks were scaled at the end, or if I did reallyyy well on the exam ( I didn't feel like I did). In the end I decided I didn't like how wishy-washy and uncertain it all was so I discontinued that as a Major.

If you're really used to science based study, and you're using Arts as a stepping stone to another degree, why don't you consider units more scientifically based? Psychology can be studied in both Arts and Science, and a lot of it is very much science. Philosophy is another good one, especially ATS1371 - It is of course very much an Arts subject, but its also quite easy to do well in because they really want you to do well so they work really hard to make everything understandable: I think 70% of students get a Distinction or above. Its all about understanding a principle, considering the premises and conclusion it leads to: quite formulaic if you want it to be, but lots of room to think. Its also a really popular elective so lots of Engineering, Science, Law, etc students do it which de-Artsifies it a bit. If you want to try the language based areas of study, going off you choosing Literary Studies, why not look into Linguistics? A lot of my science-minded friends really enjoyed it.

You can definitely achieve the marks you want with some good study habits, and with the right units that you are genuinely interested in. Good luck with it, all the best :)

Cacti

• Adventurer
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 01:35:19 am »
+1
Hey,

I'm doing Literary Studies because I actually like it and even though I transferring to a different course which is a double degree, I will still be continuing it as a major. I don't do science anymore because I found it absolutely horridly boring, I only did it in year 12 because it was too late to change. I did a unit of psychology in uni read the first page and withdrew from the subject instantly lol. Philosophy is interesting, currently doing it.

extremeftw

• Victorian
  • Forum Obsessive
  • Respect: +25
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 03:44:32 am »
+1
 I was in a very similar situation in my first year.

I needed 75% at least to transfer. Despite getting a 57 in one of my units first semester (by FAR my worst result in any unit at university....good old ESC1011) I HD the rest of my units to get like a 77.5 average. It is definitely doable. Do units that you are interested in; I picked ESC1011 pretty flippantly and I hated it.

75 is very, very achievable.

Joseph41

• Administrator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • Respect: +7477
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 07:15:12 pm »
+1
Hey, thanks for the reply. I am a first-year student so I guess the year level of the units are first-year. I have very little experience with Arts and humanities subjects as i just graduated high school. In high school, I did all maths and science subjects with the exception of english. I am willing work 24/7 just to achieve 75%+, I am super determined. i believe i have a pretty decent work ethic with the occasional period of procrastination.

If you're determined to do well and are willing to put in the work, you're well on your way to a 75+ WAM. :)

I wouldn't put yourself down, either. Like, I know that tutes and stuff can be pretty overwhelming. If it makes you feel any better, I felt like I knew absolutely nothing for the majority of my tutes, and I graduated with a 4.00 GPA. You'll be okay. :)

Oxford comma, Garamond, Avett Brothers, Orla Gartland enthusiast.

coolbook

• Trailblazer
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2017, 11:26:07 am »
Hey, Cacti. :)

I'd love to be able to give a definite answer, but this is such a subjective thing. Even if we went by statistics (so like, "x proportion of students achieves 75+"), there are too many variables to be sure.

What is the unit itself?

Quite honestly, I don't think scoring 75+ for any Arts unit is out of reach. Most Arts units are fairly consistent in terms of assessment - so like, an essay or two, an exam, perhaps quizzes or participation. A lot of these marks you simply achieve through effort.

Would you be able to provide some more context? :)
Would it be harder than getting a 75%+ average in years 11 and 12?