Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

March 29, 2024, 01:15:51 am

Author Topic: How to study for Advanced English!  (Read 32555 times)

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
  • "Hey little fighter, soon it will be brighter."
  • Respect: +970
How to study for Advanced English!
« on: February 02, 2016, 02:29:19 pm »
+15
Hello all!

I'm frequently asked how to study for particular subjects, Advanced English being the most common. Unfortunately, I can't gift you all with photographic memory - because I don't have it myself, nor am I magic. Each student studies differently, and what one student may find to be very effective, another may not. Some people are more visual learners and others are rote learners. I want to break down some tips for studying, but also some different strategies that you can use to your advantage.

Can I not read the text/Skip parts of the text and still do really well?
Yes. But don't even think about trying it. The chance of you doing very well without reading the text, or only reading parts, is extremely small unless you have a sort of sixth sense and are prodigious. Don't even try. The key is to know your texts really, really, really well. I'd be an idealist if I truly believed that every student could read/view each text twice or more. And I can truthfully say that I didn't read all of my text's in full twice or more, and i got 94 in the exam! I read/viewed each one at least once in thorough detail, making notes where I thought it was appropriate. You'll naturally read poems several times throughout your study because they are such short texts. You'll essentially read all of your texts twice - the second reading just won't be wholesome. Your second reading will essentially be your teacher saying "Let's review this chapter and make notes as a class" or you realising that your understanding of the ending is incomplete and reviewing. Reading/watching the text twice in its entirety isn't an easy task. Your first reading needs to be a thorough (and hopefully enjoyed!) analysis of every word, line, page, etc. A proper first reading will save you finding enormous gaps in knowledge later on. Your "second reading" will be made up of your studying.

Making Notes
I'm almost reluctant to write this section because I truly believe that everyone studies differently and you need to find what works for you in terms of notes. Ironically it is for this reason, I am writing this section because I'm going to propose some ideas about making notes. Each module demands something different so even when you find your most effective study method, you'll probably need to tweak it to suit the needs of each module. Some students are visual learners. "Graphic organisers" are great for these types of people. In the English course, you need to be able to link a thesis with evidence and arguments. You can find an example of this here. Some students will commit their quotes and techniques to memory through rote learning. Saying the words out loud continuously, writing them continuously and reading them continuously does work for most people - it is just really tedious.

I recommend that all students, no matter what type of learner you are, make whatever is hardest for you to remember, ever-present. By this I mean, if you cannot remember a killer thesis statement: print it and stick it all over your house. Put it on the back of the toilet door, put it on the fridge, put it under the clock, put it on the shower wall (laminate or plastic sleeve) and if you're really crazy - stick it to your bedroom ceiling so you wake up to it every single day (soooo romantic!).

A more structured and somewhat limited way to study is to use mnemonics. You can check out the various free mnemonic generators online. If I had a prepared paragraph that I was absolutely committed to using I could remember the techniques of: motif, alliteration, simile and imagery, using mnemonics like this: Many alligators smirk intelligently. The best mnemonics are about people you know and are often a little crude or funny. Then in the exam, I would say the little phrase in my head and use M A S I to direct my paragraph and prompt my memory of what comes next. Remembering a funny phrase is easier than remembering three techniques that don't necessarily have a catchy ring to it. You can use mnemonics across a lot of subjects. Business Studies and Legal Studies are subjects that you may find mnemonics handy for.

Other people would prefer to walk into an exam with the image of their palm cards printed into their memory. For each possible thesis/concept, you could write your quote and attached technique on the page. Your palm card would look like this:
-Concept: Power
-Quote and Technique
-Quote and Technique
-Quote and Technique.
Use colour to your advantage here! Where is the "effect?" It isn't on the palm card because you should know it! English as a subject is limited in what you can memorise. You need to understand the effect of a technique and quote more than you need to memorise it. This works well with the following...

Choosing Quotes
Cut out some leg work here and study smarter not harder. Don't remember 20 quotes for the text, each with a different technique or effect. Instead, remember some really powerful and versatile quotes (depending on your module, this could be about 10 quotes) that involve more than one technique and be prepared to talk about the effect of it in relation to the essay question asked. If you study a visual text, take a mental screenshot of a frame and observe that in this one snap, mise-en-scene, lighting, camera angles and dialogue are all at work. Perhaps even costuming and diegetic/non-diegetic sounds as well! This one textual reference opens up so many possibilities for analysing, which means that you have set yourself up to succeed by being able to support a variety of arguments for any question.

When you choose your quotes, you want to take note of how generic they are. Are you just using the most famous lines in the text? Or have you dug deeper and found a small but significant section of the text that shows that you have a thorough understanding of the text and haven't just read the Sparknotes? In the 2014 Advanced/Standard English Notes from the marking centre, it says that students showed strengths in areas of: "giving detailed responses that used a range of examples and textual references to support their responses" but lacked in the area of "choosing the most appropriate quotes/technical features of the text that best support a response." You can read more of that here . In saying this, the most famous lines are famous for a reason – they are important to the text. You have to find a balance in there. You want to show the marker that you acknowledge the most significant parts of the text for what they offer, but also that you have gone above and beyond and looked for evidence in the text as a whole.

Can you use a pre-prepared response?
Maybe…
The benefit of a pre-prepared response is that you can go into the exam confident that you have an entire structure in mind and a game plan. This response can be groomed over the course until you have a perfect essay. The problem? You don’t know what the question will be. The problem with that? Markers hate seeing responses that aren’t tailored to the question because the writer is too busy spitting out an essay that they’ve spent the year memorising.

It is for this reason that I say, you can kind of go into an exam with a prepared response. The key to doing this is to have the response tailored to be very broad, leaving room (or sometimes even just blank phrases, clauses or sentences) for the essay question. How to do this? Refer to the rubric! You can create your response to a very broad section and still run with that in the exam. If you go into an exam planning on talking about how discoveries can be intensely meaningful and transformative of perspectives– that’s cool. If your essay question asks you to respond to the statement that discoveries are provocative and confronting – you can work with that. Some of the worst essays simply agree with the question and go through the motion of explaining why the question is correct in every single way in both the prescribed text and ORT (if the module has one). The better responses will agree or disagree with the question, and then persist with a supporting agenda, like, “although discoveries can be provocative and confronting, the individual may respond to such an unexpected discovery in a way that is intensely meaningful and transformative of perspectives.” The essay question needs to be responded to consistently, but this can be done with the support of your prepared agenda! It takes some preparation and you need to refer to the rubric often enough in your prep that you are ready to adapt your prepared response to anything thrown your way.

Of course, this is easier with some modules than with others. Area of Study is a fairly convenient module for you to prepare a response for. Module C probably ranks in second place for that. If you are studying a set of poetry for a module, this may be difficult in case you are specifically told to refer to one mandatory poem and another poem of your choice (*Coughs HSC 2015 module B: W B Yeats coughs*). Another less structured way to plan a response is how I prepared for Module A Comparative Study: Richard III and Looking for Richard. I based my prepared arguments around the rubric and concepts/themes that flowed through the texts. The module told me it would be a comparative essay, so I prepared palm cards with evidence comparing the theme of power, the use of medium, the importance of context, etc. You need to work to the module’s demands.

Expanding your understanding
   If you’re on top of your game, you might get to a stage where you think “yep, my study has been effective, let’s put it to bed and never touch it again for weeks until the week before the exam.”
NO.
NO.
NO.
Why not? Firstly, you should be forever submitting your essays for marking and feedback, with your teacher, with the other class’ teacher, with ATAR Notes ( You can do that here) and with your peers. Whenever you get feedback you need to refer to your essay and make amendments where you deem it to be necessary. Remember, it is your essay so you don’t have to take on absolutely everything, but think: why did this person point this section out? Does it disrupt the flow? Can I use a better word?

As for updating your thesis, always think of ways to make it flow better, to make it stronger, to make it more adaptable and make it more unique. This will feature in your introduction and it is in this very moment that you should say “hey marker, look at this, I’m about to blow your mind in a very humble, written way!” Think about your modality, the amount of words in the sentence, the flow and the sophistication.

As for updating your arguments and perspectives – read your peer’s essays and notes. This is a great way to research without researching. Your peers are bound to find a resource that you didn’t find, as you are bound to find something unique that only you have layed eyes on. The internet works in funny ways. Not only this, but the two of you could have read the same resource and interpreted it totally differently! Speaking to your peers about their essay and saying “hey, do you think the pursuit of power is more important than the pursuit for individual recognition? Why do you think that?” will help the two of you flesh out ideas and hey – that’s called studying! One of the greatest ways to get something into your own head is to have to regurgitate your knowledge to someone in a way that isn’t robotic and memorized.

Do you have any more questions? I'm happy to answer them! I wrote this guide as a response to one member's question, so don't think that you won't get a quality response! If you have a question, I can guarantee that a looot of other people are curious about the same thing! You will need to make an account to be a part of the discussion and to download notes, and you can do that right here. Comment anything that's on your mind, ask me to clarify something, ask for more help, ask for tips, ask me what my thoughts are on chocolate cake, ask me anything!
« Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 04:22:28 pm by elysepopplewell »
Not sure how to navigate around ATAR Notes? Check out this video!

KarenCho

• Trailblazer
  • Year 11 | NSW Class of 2017
  • Respect: +3
  • School: GHS
  • School Grad Year: 2017
Re: How to study for Advanced English!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2016, 05:53:10 pm »
+1
Hello all!

I'm frequently asked how to study for particular subjects, Advanced English being the most common. Unfortunately, I can't gift you all with photographic memory - because I don't have it myself, nor am I magic. Each student studies differently, and what one student may find to be very effective, another may not. Some people are more visual learners and others are rote learners. I want to break down some tips for studying, but also some different strategies that you can use to your advantage.

Can I not read the text/Skip parts of the text and still do really well?
Yes. But don't even think about trying it. The chance of you doing very well without reading the text, or only reading parts, is extremely small unless you have a sort of sixth sense and are prodigious. Don't even try. The key is to know your texts really, really, really well. I'd be an idealist if I truly believed that every student could read/view each text twice or more. And I can truthfully say that I didn't read all of my text's in full twice or more, and i got 94 in the exam! I read/viewed each one at least once in thorough detail, making notes where I thought it was appropriate. You'll naturally read poems several times throughout your study because they are such short texts. You'll essentially read all of your texts twice - the second reading just won't be wholesome. Your second reading will essentially be your teacher saying "Let's review this chapter and make notes as a class" or you realising that your understanding of the ending is incomplete and reviewing. Reading/watching the text twice in its entirety isn't an easy task. Your first reading needs to be a thorough (and hopefully enjoyed!) analysis of every word, line, page, etc. A proper first reading will save you finding enormous gaps in knowledge later on. Your "second reading" will be made up of your studying.

Making Notes
I'm almost reluctant to write this section because I truly believe that everyone studies differently and you need to find what works for you in terms of notes. Ironically it is for this reason, I am writing this section because I'm going to propose some ideas about making notes. Each module demands something different so even when you find your most effective study method, you'll probably need to tweak it to suit the needs of each module. Some students are visual learners. "Graphic organisers" are great for these types of people. In the English course, you need to be able to link a thesis with evidence and arguments. You can find an example of this here. Some students will commit their quotes and techniques to memory through rote learning. Saying the words out loud continuously, writing them continuously and reading them continuously does work for most people - it is just really tedious.

I recommend that all students, no matter what type of learner you are, make whatever is hardest for you to remember, ever-present. By this I mean, if you cannot remember a kill thesis statement: print it and stick it all over your house. Put it on the back of the toilet door, put it on the fridge, put it under the clock, put it on the shower wall (laminate or plastic sleeve) and if you're really crazy - stick it to your bedroom ceiling so you wake up to it every single day (soooo romantic!)

A more structured and somewhat limited way to study is to use mnemonics. You can check out the various free mnemonic generators online. If I had a prepared paragraph that I was absolutely committed to using I could remember the techniques of: motif, alliteration, simile and imagery, I would use mnemonics like this. Many alligators smirk intelligently. The best mnemonics are about people you know and are often a little crude or funny. Then in the exam, I would use M A S I to direct my paragraph and prompt my memory of what comes next. You can use mnemonics across a lot of subjects. Business Studies and Legal Studies are subjects that you may find mnemonics handy for.

Other people would prefer to walk into an exam with the image of their palm cards printed into their memory. For each possible thesis/concept, you could write your quote and attached technique on the page. Your palm card would look like this:
-Concept: Power
-Quote and Technique
-Quote and Technique
-Quote and Technique.
Use colour to your advantage here! Where is the "effect?" It isn't on the palm card because you should know it! English as a subject is limited in what you can memorise. You need to understand the effect of a technique and quote more than you need to memorise it. This works well with the following...

Choosing Quotes
Cut out some leg work here and study smarter not harder. Don't remember 20 quotes for the text, each with a different technique or effect. Instead, remember some really powerful and versatile quotes (depending on your module, this could be about 10 quotes) that involve more than one technique and be prepared to talk about the effect of it in relation to the essay question asked. If you study a visual text, take a mental screenshot of a frame and observe that in this one snap, mise-en-scene, lighting, camera angles and dialogue are all at work. Perhaps even costuming and diegetic/non-diegetic sounds as well! This one textual reference opens up so many possibilities for analysing, which means that you have set yourself up to succeed by being able to support a variety of arguments for any question.

When you choose your quotes, you want to take note of how generic they are. Are you just using the most famous lines in the text? Or have you dug deeper and found a small but significant section of the text that shows that you have a thorough understanding of the text and haven't just read the Sparknotes? In the 2014 Advanced/Standard English Notes from the marking centre, it says that students showed strengths in areas of: "giving detailed responses that used a range of examples and textual references to support their responses" but lacked in the area of "choosing the most appropriate quotes/technical features of the text that best support a response." You can read more of that here . In saying this, the most famous lines are famous for a reason – they are important to the text. You have to find a balance in there. You want to show the marker that you acknowledge the most significant parts of the text for what they offer, but also that you have gone above and beyond and looked for evidence in the text as a whole.

Can you use a pre-prepared response?
Maybe…
The benefit of a pre-prepared response is that you can go into the exam confident that you have an entire structure in mind and a game plan. This response can be groomed over the course until you have a perfect essay. The problem? You don’t know what the question will be. The problem with that? Markers hate seeing responses that aren’t tailored to the question because the writer is too busy spitting out an essay that they’ve spent the year memorising.

It is for this reason that I say, you can kind of go into an exam with a prepared response. The key to doing this is to have the response tailored to be very broad, leaving room (or sometimes even just blank phrases, clauses or sentences) for the essay question. How to do this? Refer to the rubric! You can create your response to a very broad section and still run with that in the exam. If you go into an exam planning on talking about how discoveries can be intensely meaningful and transformative of perspectives– that’s cool. If your essay question asks you to respond to the statement that discoveries are provocative and confronting – you can work with that. Some of the worst essays simply agree with the question and go through the motion of explaining why the question is correct in every single way in both the prescribed text and ORT (if the module has one). The better responses will agree or disagree with the question, and then persist with a supporting agenda, like, “although discoveries can be provocative and confronting, the individual may respond to such an unexpected discovery in a way that is intensely meaningful and transformative of perspectives.” The essay question needs to be responded to consistently, but this can be done with the support of your prepared agenda! It takes some preparation and you need to refer to the rubric often enough in your prep that you are ready to adapt your prepared response to anything thrown your way.

Of course, this is easier with some modules than with others. Area of Study is a fairly convenient module for you to prepare a response for. Module C probably ranks in second place for that. If you are studying a set of poetry for a module, this may be difficult in case you are specifically told to refer to one mandatory poem and another poem of your choice (*Coughs HSC 2015 module B: W B Yeats coughs*). Another less structured way to plan a response is how I prepared for Module A Comparative Study: Richard III and Looking for Richard. I based my prepared arguments around the rubric and concepts/themes that flowed through the texts. The module told me it would be a comparative essay, so I prepared palm cards with evidence comparing the theme of power, the use of medium, the importance of context, etc. You need to work to the module’s demands.

Expanding your understanding
   If you’re on top of your game, you might get to a stage where you think “yep, my study has been effective, let’s put it to bed and never touch it again for weeks until the week before the exam.”
NO.
NO.
NO.
Why not? Firstly, you should be forever submitting your essays for marking and feedback, with your teacher, with the other class’ teacher, with ATAR Notes ( You can do that here) and with your peers. Whenever you get feedback you need to refer to your essay and make amendments where you deem it to be necessary. Remember, it is your essay so you don’t have to take on absolutely everything, but think: why did this person point this section out? Does it disrupt the flow? Can I use a better word?

As for updating your thesis, always think of ways to make it flow better, to make it stronger, to make it more adaptable and make it more unique. This will feature in your introduction and it is in this very moment that you should say “hey marker, look at this, I’m about to blow your mind in a very humble, written way!” Think about your modality, the amount of words in the sentence, the flow and the sophistication.

As for updating your arguments and perspectives – read your peer’s essays and notes. This is a great way to research without researching. Your peers are bound to find a resource that you didn’t find, as you are bound to find something unique that only you have layed eyes on. The internet works in funny ways. Not only this, but the two of you could have read the same resource and interpreted it totally differently! Speaking to your peers about their essay and saying “hey, do you think the pursuit of power is more important than the pursuit for individual recognition? Why do you think that?” will help the two of you flesh out ideas and hey – that’s called studying! One of the greatest ways to get something into your own head is to have to regurgitate your knowledge to someone in a way that isn’t robotic and memorized.

Do you have any more questions? I'm happy to answer them! I wrote this guide as a response to one member's question, so don't think that you won't get a quality response! If you have a question, I can guarantee that a looot of other people are curious about the same thing! You will need to make an account to be a part of the discussion and to download notes, and you can do that right here. Comment anything that's on your mind, ask me to clarify something, ask for more help, ask for tips, ask me what my thoughts are on chocolate cake, ask me anything!

This is amazing! Thank you so much Elyse :)

Just a quick question, I've heard that the 2017 HSC English course will no longer have a specific Area of Study (ie. no more discovery), so how would you go about studying and preparing essays for that module since the question could be completely arbitrary in terms of its focus point?

- Karen :D
Preliminary Subjects
Advanced English
Extension 1 English
Legal Studies
Business Studies
Modern History
Ancient History
Society and Culture
-
"Do something today that your future self will thank you for"

jamonwindeyer

• Honorary Moderator
  • Great Wonder of ATAR Notes
  • The lurker from the north.
  • Respect: +3108
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 07:43:01 am »
+2

Just a quick question, I've heard that the 2017 HSC English course will no longer have a specific Area of Study (ie. no more discovery), so how would you go about studying and preparing essays for that module since the question could be completely arbitrary in terms of its focus point?

Hi Karen! Glad you enjoyed Elyse's guide, I know she's super excited to see it helping people  ;D That's an interesting prospect. However, a quick check of the BOSTES website says that the AoS is not due for review until 2019. Discovery, set in stone, up to and including 2018 HSC Graduates. So, you will certainly not have to worry about changes. My source: page 9 of this document.

That being said, I've also heard the rumours that the AoS is being scrapped in favour of adding more options. So, it's definitely possible that Discovery is not long for this world. At the moment though, we can rest easy for the next few years  :D

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2016, 04:28:08 pm »
+1

I'm stoked you liked it Karen! This is interesting. What Jamon said below is correct, that the BOSTES website isn't showing signs of this changing in a hurry. Butttttt, I think you've heard your information from somewhere like this: http://www.smh.com.au/national/education/hsc-2015-board-of-studies-to-drop-most-unpopular-component-of-the-hsc-20151019-gkcvvp.html. It's sad! For me, Area of Study was the module I struggled least with! Wahhh :'(
However, you'll notice that the modality is low in the article because nothing is set in stone. So just roll with what is ahead of you! Nothing should be cut in a big hurry - you should be good to go!

KarenCho

• Trailblazer
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2016, 06:14:00 pm »
Hi Karen! Glad you enjoyed Elyse's guide, I know she's super excited to see it helping people  ;D That's an interesting prospect. However, a quick check of the BOSTES website says that the AoS is not due for review until 2019. Discovery, set in stone, up to and including 2018 HSC Graduates. So, you will certainly not have to worry about changes. My source: page 9 of this document.

That being said, I've also heard the rumours that the AoS is being scrapped in favour of adding more options. So, it's definitely possible that Discovery is not long for this world. At the moment though, we can rest easy for the next few years  :D

I'm stoked you liked it Karen! This is interesting. What Jamon said below is correct, that the BOSTES website isn't showing signs of this changing in a hurry. Butttttt, I think you've heard your information from somewhere like this: http://www.smh.com.au/national/education/hsc-2015-board-of-studies-to-drop-most-unpopular-component-of-the-hsc-20151019-gkcvvp.html. It's sad! For me, Area of Study was the module I struggled least with! Wahhh :'(
However, you'll notice that the modality is low in the article because nothing is set in stone. So just roll with what is ahead of you! Nothing should be cut in a big hurry - you should be good to go!

Ah, okay thanks guys! I must have gotten some incorrect information then because my tutor kept saying how the change would be pushed forward to 2017 and how students should begin to prepare for that, which threw me off a bit. If they're keeping it then all is right for now ;D
Preliminary Subjects
Advanced English
Extension 1 English
Legal Studies
Business Studies
Modern History
Ancient History
Society and Culture
-

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2016, 07:19:42 pm »
Ah, okay thanks guys! I must have gotten some incorrect information then because my tutor kept saying how the change would be pushed forward to 2017 and how students should begin to prepare for that, which threw me off a bit. If they're keeping it then all is right for now ;D
Who needs a tutor when you've got Elyse ;)
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

KarenCho

• Trailblazer
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2016, 08:34:52 pm »
Who needs a tutor when you've got Elyse ;)
True! As great as my tutor is, it doesn't beat someone who just came out of the HSC and has much more current knowledge haha ;)
Preliminary Subjects
Advanced English
Extension 1 English
Legal Studies
Business Studies
Modern History
Ancient History
Society and Culture
-

brenden

• Honorary Moderator
  • Respect: +2593
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2016, 08:40:03 pm »
True! As great as my tutor is, it doesn't beat someone who just came out of the HSC and has much more current knowledge haha ;)
Is your tutor a BOSTES exam assessor or something?
✌️just do what makes you happy ✌️

KarenCho

• Trailblazer
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2016, 02:25:55 pm »
Is your tutor a BOSTES exam assessor or something?
Nah, but she's been tutoring for English since she finished her HSC (so like, 30-40 years ago?) and a lot of her students end up state ranking because she has a lot of experience/resources etc. But she's my first/only experience with a tutor though so I have nothing to compare it against
Preliminary Subjects
Advanced English
Extension 1 English
Legal Studies
Business Studies
Modern History
Ancient History
Society and Culture
-

abiksmith

• Adventurer
  • Respect: 0
  • School: St Columba Anglican School
  • School Grad Year: 2016
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2016, 07:56:14 am »
Thank you!
About to start studying for Half Yearlys, really appreciate the info

anotherworld2b

• Forum Leader
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2016, 01:28:52 pm »
Do you happen to how any advice on how to write a good lead in for the introduction and good topic sentences? I always seem to the weakest for this parts for my essay as well as formulating a good essay structure. Exams are in a week so I'm freaking out  :'(

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #11 on: May 28, 2016, 03:56:57 pm »
Do you happen to how any advice on how to write a good lead in for the introduction and good topic sentences? I always seem to the weakest for this parts for my essay as well as formulating a good essay structure. Exams are in a week so I'm freaking out  :'(

Hey there! This is a great question. Without a particular module specified, I'll approach this in a broad sense and hopefully you'll get some ideas.
There are three main sources for a thesis statement:
1. The essay question.
2. The rubric
3. Your arguments (what you perceive the text to convey, etc).

So, your statement needs to directly deal with the essay question first of all. If the question asks you to talk about emotions, discuss them. If it wants you to talk about context, talk about that. The rubric is important because it gives you a sense of the kinds of terms that might be valuable in your thesis statement, but also it gives you an idea of the direction you need to go. For example, the AoS discovery rubric will give you the prompt to discuss the NATURE of discovery. Then, you want to have in mind what you intend to talk about based on your understanding of your texts.

For example, if I'm studying W B Yeats' poems for Module B, and my question asks me something along the lines of, "Yeats poetry is enriched by the expression of identity."
When I read this question, it might spring to my mind that some of Yeats' poems have a real certainty of identity, and others discuss the lack of belonging/uncertainty of self. So my thesis might take into account these things, like this:

W.B. Yeats expresses the certainty and uncertainty of ones identity in a way that enriches his poetry for contemporary audiences.

The idea here is that module B requires a personal response, so that's where the contemporary audience comes in. The question requires me to talk about identity, so I did so. But my own understanding of the texts means that I'm comfortable talking about the identity and lack of identity in the texts - so I incorporated that too.

The part of the thesis that is most important to having an original thesis - is you adding your own opinion/perception. This is what sets you apart from others.

As for paragraph starters - you just want to take a tiny snippet of an argument and use it as an overview. Here are some possible paragraph starters that I might use if I was doing the above essay:

Identity is a most enigmatic feature of self when one is dealing with social turbulence."

Identity may only be realised with certainty after a process of reflection.

This isn't the only way to write a thesis statement or paragraph starters - this is simply the way I like to do it. I didn't try to encompass the main three things I did in the thesis statement, in the paragraph starters. The reason for this is that, I want to start conceptually, and deal with each other thing in a way that means it is weaved in and out of the paragraph.

To sum up, basically:
Answer the question, be original, look to the rubric for support. :)
I hope this helps!

anotherworld2b

• Forum Leader
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2016, 04:49:46 pm »
Thank you for your help :D
I was also wondering where would I find the rubic?
Is it the same for all of Australia?
I'm kind of confused about the modules. Its probably because I'm in yr 11 and we've
only done essays. For exam study would it be beneficial to look over past tasks to prepare?
I have always been kind of confused on how to study for English  :-[

elysepopplewell

• HSC Lecturer
  • Honorary Moderator
  • ATAR Notes Legend
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2016, 07:19:26 pm »
Thank you for your help :D
I was also wondering where would I find the rubic?
Is it the same for all of Australia?
I'm kind of confused about the modules. Its probably because I'm in yr 11 and we've
only done essays. For exam study would it be beneficial to look over past tasks to prepare?
I have always been kind of confused on how to study for English  :-[

The rubric is not Australia wide, it is for the HSC only. Here is the English syllabus which contains the rubric: https://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/syllabus_hsc/pdf_doc/english-syllabus-from2010.pdf

A module is like a "topic" within English. You will become more familiar with them in Year 12, but you should read about them in the rubric to become more familiar with what is expected of you as a preliminary student but also as a HSC student :)

Reading through past tasks is absolutely a great way to study for English - make sure that you take on any feedback that your teacher gives you so that you are always learning and improving :)

anotherworld2b

• Forum Leader
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2016, 12:08:59 am »
I was wondering what kind of questions do you usually get during exams?
Comparative essays? Analyzing advertisements and comparing them?
I was also kind of confused about the rubic is it basically possible essay topics and ect?
I was going to start searching for quotes to use to study but i'm not sure what quotes to look for or what you mean by technique
i'm also not sure what else to do to study .... exams are next week)  :-X
I live in WA and I've haven't heard about the rubic prior to now.

Sorry for asking so many questions  :-[
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 12:32:53 am by anotherworld2b »