Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 19, 2024, 07:49:46 pm

Author Topic: BSc Adv - Research (Hons)  (Read 2698 times)  Share 

schrodingerscat

• Fresh Poster
  • Respect: 0
BSc Adv - Research (Hons)
« on: January 10, 2022, 03:32:38 pm »
Hello everyone,

I am heading into Year 12 this year, and only recently just discovered that the BSc Adv - Research (Hons) may be a better fit for me compared to the standard BSc. Such as accelerating subjects, doing advanced studies but most importantly research opportunities within the first year, as I want to do research as a career, hopefully. I do however, have a small problem. I don't meet the all of the prerequisites for the course. I meet the Math and English prerequisites, but not the Science/Other prerequisites as I am only doing Physics, and I need two subjects from that prerequisite list. I do thankfully, meet the prerequisites to enroll in the BSc.

Would it be better to enroll in the BSc at Monash and then transfer, OR to enroll is some sort of bridging course, that would allow me to meet the prerequisites (e.g. a bridging course for Chemistry, if it exists?) .

I would prefer to go with the first option but I have a couple of questions:

1. How long do I have to wait before applying to transfer and how long does the entire process usually taking, from first applying to getting transferred?
2. If I were to transfer within the first year, would I miss out on research or any other advantage that the BSc Adv degree, has to offer?
3. How difficult is it to transfer, what would a competitive WAM/GPA to be to get accepted or guaranteed entry into the program?
4. If I enroll in a Bachelor of Science from another University, let's say UoM. Am I allowed to do so, and am I put at any significant disadvantage to those transferring from BSc from Monash?

Thank you :)

AngelWings

• ATAR Notes Superstar
  • "Angel wings, please guide me..."
  • Respect: +1425
Re: BSc Adv - Research (Hons)
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2022, 06:16:06 pm »
+5
I’ve answered a similar question over here in recent weeks, so you might find some answers there.

My background: I did a BSci (Hons) in 2015-2018 - though not research advanced, just the standard BSci + Hons tacked to the end, so I don’t 100% know the most updated info, but will give it a shot anyway.

Would it be better to enroll in the BSc at Monash and then transfer, OR to enroll is some sort of bridging course, that would allow me to meet the prerequisites (e.g. a bridging course for Chemistry, if it exists?) .
I don’t know if there’s a bridging course but the standard BSci is almost the same (just minus the extra opportunities and such). In my own standard BSci, I was still able to do research scholarships in 2nd and 3rd year,  internships and apply for a research winter school. The only catch is that you kind of have to find/ apply for these scholarships yourself in both courses, but moreso for the BSci.

I think CHM1011 and CHM1022, the non-advanced versions of CHM1051/1052 (which you’d do in the Res Adv course) can usually substitute for the advanced ones (they just get one or two different assessments and less hand-holding in some labs IIRC), but am not sure, so you’d have to ask. 

Answers to your questions:
1. You can apply between semesters, with the window of opportunity to apply for transfer being a month or so at the latter half of each semester, and you’ll know whether that application was successful or not generally a few weeks before the next semester starts. If you apply in the first year, you might find your ATAR might possibly play a part in your transfer. The later into your course you apply, the more difficult it will be to graduate with people who got into the course at the beginning or to pick particular units (subjects) as you may not have done the prerequisites or recognised equivalent units for it.
2. Honestly, not sure. I think there was a course specific camp (pre-covid, obviously, not sure now) and maybe some mentoring opportunities that you might miss from memory.
3. In general, transfers usually require a 70+ WAM, with competitive courses needing 75+ WAM. These are usually pretty obtainable with some hard work. I’d imagine a BSci Monash —> BSci (Res Adv) Monash transfer wouldn’t be too overly difficult as they are practically the exact same, just missing a few opportunities here and there, and  a couple of units are made compulsory rather than optional in some cases e.g. SCI2015 vs. SCI2010 (but you can still do SCI2015 with the normal BSci, as long as you have the requirements).
4. I’m not sure, but I’m unaware of any. The main concern with external transfers e.g. UoM BSci —> Monash BSci (Res Adv) is really credit transfer and ensuring you have the requirements for transfer. Credit transfer is typically more difficult when you go uni to uni rather than course to course as some unis will not recognise some units or have an equivalent unit, so you may find that you might need to take more units (and therefore time and money) to complete your course and graduate, as graduation relies on you fulfilling a certain number of credit points. Might be best to confirm with someone else who knows more or, with Monash Uni themselves, if possible.
VCE: Psych | Eng Lang | LOTE | Methods | Further | Chem                 
Uni: Bachelor of Science (Hons) - genetics
Current: working (sporadically on AN)
VTAC Info Thread

schrodingerscat

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2022, 05:29:16 pm »

I don’t know if there’s a bridging course but the standard BSci is almost the same (just minus the extra opportunities and such). In my own standard BSci, I was still able to do research scholarships in 2nd and 3rd year,  internships and apply for a research winter school. The only catch is that you kind of have to find/ apply for these scholarships yourself in both courses, but moreso for the BSci.

Ah I see, that certainly clears many things up. The main reason I want to do the BSc Adv over the BSc is research opportunities. Taking what you've said about research opportunities being present for both degrees into consideration (just that they are more accessible in the Adv degree, it seems). It may be better to for me to pursue the normal BSc and then transfer if necessary.

Thank you for the detailed response :)

hairs9

• Trailblazer
  • Respect: +15
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2022, 11:00:00 pm »
+5
Just completed my first year of the BSci adv research degree. There are research opportunities all over the place. I'm currently doing a research project and someone in my team is just doing a regular science degree. If you read all your emails carefully for opportunities and take them up, you're bound to find the ability to do research.

1. You can apply after 6 months and I definitely know of people who have transferred over. Don't know how long it takes, but you just apply in the period needed and transfer for the next semester.
2. If you transfer after 6 months you would still get the designated research project, but after 12 months you wouldn't. You'd also miss the camp which is imo one of the best parts of the degree
3. Not too hard to transfer, especially from the regular science as all your units should transfer over. I think a distinction average(so 70s) would be enough.
4. External transfers are harder than internal transfers. Not sure what you're looking at doing but if it involves maths, the first year Monash and Melbourne model are a bit different and you might find yourself having to repeat quite a bit of content.

Let me know if there's any other questions I can answer
2019-Methods [45], Psychology [41]
2020-English [38], Chemistry [43], Spesh [43], UMEP maths [4.5], ATAR: 99.05
2021-2024: Bachelor of Science - Advanced(Research) at Monash

schrodingerscat

• Fresh Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2022, 09:06:16 pm »
2. If you transfer after 6 months you would still get the designated research project, but after 12 months you wouldn't. You'd also miss the camp which is imo one of the best parts of the degree

Camp seems fun, oh well :/

4. External transfers are harder than internal transfers. Not sure what you're looking at doing but if it involves maths, the first year Monash and Melbourne model are a bit different and you might find yourself having to repeat quite a bit of content.

I'm looking into majoring in either Physics or Maths. Haven't really decided yet, but both routes do involve quite a lot of maths. Yeah, I was considering going to Melbourne, but the breadth system and not being able to do a double major put me off. Unfortunate since Monash takes almost double the time to get to compared to Melbourne.   

Let me know if there's any other questions I can answer

Thank you, will do :)