Login

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

April 17, 2024, 05:10:09 am

Author Topic: A List of Useful Links  (Read 4121 times)

JerryMouse2019

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • I love Spider-Man :)
  • Respect: +113
A List of Useful Links
« on: June 11, 2021, 07:20:06 pm »
+13
Hey Everyone,

Here are some useful links for researching during your legal studies assignments :)

For Primary Sources:

Supreme Court Library of Qld (SCLQ) - for caselaw
Qld Judgements
AustLII
Office of the Qld Parliamentary Counsel (Legislation Qld) - go to 'in force' to find Qld legislation
Federal Register of Legislation
Lawlex - another website that lets you browse legislation (it is pretty similar to the Legislation Qld website)
Legify - Helps to find the most authoritative (most recent) version of legislation. You can search legislation nationwide which can come in handy when you're searching for alternatives in similar legislation in other states

For Secondary Sources:

ABC Law Report
Aus Human Rights Commission - Go to 'our work' on the home page
Aus Institute of Criminology (AIC)
Aus Law Reform Commission (ALRC)
AustLII - I've already mentioned this one before but just to let you all know that this is the best place to go for journal articles
Caxton Legal Centre Inc. - Free Online Textbook that simplifies legal concepts
Human Rights Law Centre
Legal Aid Qld
Qld Law Reform Commission (QLRC)
Qld Parliament Committee Reports
Qld Sentencing Advisory Council (QSAC) - Go to the 'about sentencing' section of the home page
Rule of Law Institute

How to best use the Supreme Court Library of Qld (SCLQ) website when searching for caselaw:

PLEASE NOTE: I have put examples next to each of these tips to show you how to properly search with these key words.

To search two words together type in 'AND' between them --> child AND abuse
To search either term type in 'OR' between them --> teenager OR youth
To exclude a search term type in 'NOT' between them --> compensation NOT apology
To find a specific phrase just type "" --> "bill of rights"

I'm sure that you all must've heard of some of these websites as they are quite commonly used during the research phase of legal studies assignments. Of course there are other websites as well that you can use but these ones can help you narrow down your research if you ever feel stuck.

Best of luck to everyone :)

Kind regards
JerryMouse
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 11:38:04 am by JerryMouse2019 »
QCE Class of 2021: English | General Maths | Business | Economics | Legal Studies | Digital Solutions

“Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy” – Dale Carnegie

JerryMouse2019

• MOTM: NOV 19
  • Forum Obsessive
  • I love Spider-Man :)
  • Respect: +113
Re: A List of Useful Links
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2021, 10:52:33 am »
+7
How to best use the Supreme Court Library of Qld (SCLQ) website when searching for caselaw:

To search two words together type in 'AND' between them; child AND abuse (this is an example)
To search either term type in 'OR' between them; teenager OR youth (this is an example)
To exclude a search term type 'NOT' between them; compensation NOT apology (this is an example)
To find a specific phrase just type ""
"bill of rights" (this is an example)

I just wanted to point out that I kept saying "this is an example" next to each of these tips because I just wanted to be clear to you all about how to best search for caselaw on the SCLQ website. I also kept saying "this is an example" because I am not great at using semicolons properly.

If anyone was confused, I hope this cleared up your confusion :)

If anyone is still confused then please let me know. I'll happily explain it to you.

UPDATE: I've removed the semicolons and the "this is an example" phrase so that it is easier for you all to understand.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 01:58:50 pm by JerryMouse2019 »
QCE Class of 2021: English | General Maths | Business | Economics | Legal Studies | Digital Solutions

“Inaction breeds doubt and fear. Action breeds confidence and courage. If you want to conquer fear, do not sit home and think about it. Go out and get busy” – Dale Carnegie